PDA

View Full Version : Artifact Hunting

Lana Torrin
July 1 2011, 05:22:13 AM
Artifact Hunting.. Has anyone done it? Can you make much NIC out of it? (Can you do it on Alpha-1 islands?)

To me it looks like POs version of plexing.. I have read up on the mechanics of how to find the sites but not being at home means I cant try it. It looks like quite a high amount of effort to find the sights (OMG MATHS!) but not impossible. Pretty much my question is, is it worth doing at low levels?

Batolemaeus
July 1 2011, 05:47:55 AM
Pretty easy to find. The combat spawns are difficult for my industry char. Interesting loot, but I don't know what to do with most. I only found t1, or t3- (horrendously shit stats most of the time, not worth fitting). mk2 cts galore on alpha, but not sure what to do with it and no open market. Sometimes you get some nice kernels though.

Lana Torrin
July 1 2011, 05:50:40 AM
Pretty easy to find. The combat spawns are difficult for my industry char. Interesting loot, but I don't know what to do with most. I only found t1, or t3- (horrendously shit stats most of the time, not worth fitting). mk2 cts galore on alpha, but not sure what to do with it and no open market. Sometimes you get some nice kernels though.

As far as I understand, T3 loot is best used for making T4 stuff...

Alena Redruth
July 1 2011, 07:45:46 AM
Always liked exploration in eve, would be interested to know when you could start doing this as a main source of income. Im assuming an assault bot wont cut it past lvl 1 sites?

Ryoko Matsui
July 1 2011, 08:38:29 AM
It all depends on if you want to fight the (possible) protectors of the artifacts or not. Some sites spawn protection, some not, but the juicy stuff is always in the can that pops up, so you can scoot in, scoop up and run like hell :)

I've mostly done my scanning using a pair of Mechs (Tyrannos + Artemis) because I like to kill'em all :)

Word of warning though: Observer stashes, specially the best Observer Stash III on Alphas is something you want to be wary around, they usually spawn a pair of Mech Grand Observers and those things are BAD NEWS.

People who do the "scoot'n'loot" type of artifact hunting usually use either a ew-bot like Trojar or Intakt or a light bot like Yagel or Castel, T4 scanner, T4 lwf and either resistances or a rep, weapons optional since speed is the key here. Others use Lairds and Arganos, even Sequers (Sequer w/T4 lwf and Navi 10 gets up to 80 km/h)

And artifact scanning can be quite profitable indeed, I've made something like 100+ mil NIC from it during the last 2 months and I certainly don't do it much, something like 2 or 3 1 hour runs a week.

Siiee
July 1 2011, 09:13:16 AM
I want to get into this but I wasted half of my EP on Sequorer (whatever) skills on an alt that I'm not going to use :/ so I'm still waiting to get my Waspish and scanner prereqs before repurposing my Castel.

Lana Torrin
July 1 2011, 09:33:21 AM
And artifact scanning can be quite profitable indeed, I've made something like 100+ mil NIC from it during the last 2 months and I certainly don't do it much, something like 2 or 3 1 hour runs a week.

Tell me more?!

So what can I expect to be able to run as a noob. I just reset my account and have something like 20K EP still unallocated (but no NIC, hence not allocating yet.. I want to run the tutorials again and get my free frig.. err.. light bot)

Obviously I don't want to run the top ends because lol I'll get blasted to kingdom come, but can I expect to run the low ends? (And by run I mean kill everything and get the loot).

Also, how do they actually work? Once you have found them they just pop up in the open? Can anyone take from the can?

Ryoko Matsui
July 1 2011, 09:49:53 AM
[quote="Ryoko Matsui":2tgqpa78]And artifact scanning can be quite profitable indeed, I've made something like 100+ mil NIC from it during the last 2 months and I certainly don't do it much, something like 2 or 3 1 hour runs a week.

Tell me more?!

So what can I expect to be able to run as a noob. I just reset my account and have something like 20K EP still unallocated (but no NIC, hence not allocating yet.. I want to run the tutorials again and get my free frig.. err.. light bot)

Obviously I don't want to run the top ends because lol I'll get blasted to kingdom come, but can I expect to run the low ends? (And by run I mean kill everything and get the loot).

Also, how do they actually work? Once you have found them they just pop up in the open? Can anyone take from the can?[/quote:2tgqpa78]

Let's see... where to start... If you want to fight the protectors your best bet would be doing them in an light or assault bot, fit normally like for any other PVE thing, just make sure you spare 1 head slot for the scanner (also they are quite CPU hogs) Since most of the sites spawn only few enemies, killing them isn't usually problem at all, the problem comes from the fact that the site could be close enough to a normal "world spawn" that when you go in, you get aggro from those too.

Once you find one, the can pops up and you can go loot it. They're also instanced so there's no competition between others (only you and others in your squad can see the can)

Lana Torrin
July 1 2011, 10:03:34 AM
They're also instanced so there's no competition between others (only you and others in your squad can see the can)

And all of a sudden im liking this game a little less...

Although it does explain why the islands are so small..

Tailn
July 1 2011, 10:11:08 AM
[quote="Ryoko Matsui":nouo59i6]
They're also instanced so there's no competition between others (only you and others in your squad can see the can)

Although it does explain why the islands are so small..[/quote:nouo59i6]

Odd I had the impression that it was the spawns were generated by player but after you found it and triggered it they were visible to the whole server.

Which I thought was a decent way to get around the 3 people plexing in a system at one time because there are only a certain number of decent sites problem that eve has.

Siiee
July 1 2011, 10:35:14 AM
I dunno if the plex cans being "private" is really such a big deal, the rat spawns certainly aren't. I've already listened as someone popped a mid level plex right in the middle of a newbie area, and the spawned guards immediately went to work ganking everything in sight.

Ryoko Matsui
July 1 2011, 10:35:35 AM
[quote="Ryoko Matsui":huk0uy2n]

Although it does explain why the islands are so small..

Odd I had the impression that it was the spawns were generated by player but after you found it and triggered it they were visible to the whole server.

Which I thought was a decent way to get around the 3 people plexing in a system at one time because there are only a certain number of decent sites problem that eve has.[/quote:huk0uy2n]

Maybe I should've been clearer, it is only the "juicy stuff" can that is instanced since that is actually the signature you're scanning, if the site has protection, everyone can see the bots after you find it.

Xennith
July 1 2011, 10:39:08 AM
They should drop the instanced thing for the beta islands tbh. Obviously I know best, I've played for like 3 days.

Lana Torrin
July 1 2011, 10:46:21 AM
I dunno if the plex cans being "private" is really such a big deal, the rat spawns certainly aren't. I've already listened as someone popped a mid level plex right in the middle of a newbie area, and the spawned guards immediately went to work ganking everything in sight.

Ah I misunderstood. I thought the whole plexs was instanced not just the can. Love restored.

Ryoko Matsui
July 1 2011, 10:50:53 AM
Oh and speaking of causing mayhem, I've once managed to find an Pelistal Observer Stash III ~500m from the TM Alpha terminal, it spawned 2 GO Tyrannoses which happily went on a rampage killing everything on sight and just plain ignoring me. End result: 4 dead newbie players (2 Arkhes, Castel and a Waspish) and a lot of "Wtf did just happen?" talk in help channel :D

So yeah, there's some grief potential in them, if you get lucky :P

Lana Torrin
July 1 2011, 10:55:24 AM
Actually now you say that I have seen a mech rat stomping through the Noob terminal in my 5 or so days of play now. I was fortunately a decent distance away and decided to stay that way.

Tailn
July 1 2011, 11:12:46 AM
Who would have thought that the devs would be able to give us greifing tools while also protecting us from raeg.

Time to start scanning find a nice spawn at a terminal and some how gather a huge crowd before hand :). It would be like spawning a class 4 sleeper anom outside jita 4-4. :twisted:

Marlona Sky
July 1 2011, 12:57:09 PM
I love it when they spawn near highways. So funny to hear people crying about artifact spawns destroying peoplenot paying attention. lol

Maksim
July 1 2011, 01:21:41 PM
I am tired of ratting and doing missions, so this sounds like a fun thing to try.

Are there extensions directly related to this activity?
Do "Basic Geology" and "Advanced Geology" have an effect? It is not clear from the skill description.

Tailn
July 1 2011, 01:28:46 PM
Do "Basic Geology" and "Advanced Geology" have an effect? It is not clear from the skill description.

I don't believe they to there is a dedicated skill artefact scanning or something and that has a prereq extension which explicitly states in the description that it applies to artefact scanning as well.

Ryoko Matsui
July 1 2011, 02:51:27 PM
I am tired of ratting and doing missions, so this sounds like a fun thing to try.

There is are 2 skills, One oddly enough named: Artifact Scanning , that increases your scan range and Two: Basic Geochemistry which increases your scan accuracy.

And yeah, you can get your scan accuracy over 100% :)

Nicho Void
July 1 2011, 04:04:40 PM
I triggered one of the Overseer Stash IIIs last night. I ran away to refit and when I came back, the NeX boys were attacking the smaller of the two...so I aggrod the big one and kited him around the building until they popped him. Loot was all mine. 8-)

The point (besides :smug:) is that it's instanced to start with, but after a time it becomes visible to all.

ALSO, make sure you have room in your cargo. The cans don't stick around.

Nicho Void
July 1 2011, 08:14:54 PM
http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/artifact_hunting

Check that link out. Gives a breakdown on what the different names of the sites mean and what you can expect.

Alena Redruth
July 2 2011, 07:31:09 PM
So I gave this a shot last night in my lil waspish, couldnt really get my head around it until i downloaded the FOOM scanning app which made it super easy. Got within about 200m of a scientific remains thingy, but it was literally right next to a 3L 2A spawn point so i left it alone. Probed out 2 more sites and got a T0 mod from each plus some scraps which all combined is worth about ... nothing. So far im a little dissapointed.

Space Panda
July 3 2011, 09:32:48 AM
so would you brutors say this is more profitable than transport missions?

Tailn
July 3 2011, 11:28:32 AM
With out using any brain power no it is a pain in the ass, going to give it another go this time not just randomly walking and dropping probes but doing the math instead.

Lana Torrin
July 3 2011, 02:28:35 PM
so would you brutors say this is more profitable than transport missions?

I am now running around in an Arb with a complete T2 fit and I have enough NIC in my wallet to get 2 more.. And a stash of Niani stuff (basically T3) that I cant sell because I don't have enough market orders.. Oh.. and 2 Mk2 TCs that I haven't bothered to try and sell yet.

So yeah, pretty profitable.

Space Panda
July 3 2011, 06:30:14 PM
well shieeet. i'll have to try it. a shame i wasted so much EP on my battle badger.

Lana Torrin
July 4 2011, 12:52:05 AM
well shieeet. i'll have to try it. a shame i wasted so much EP on my battle badger.

It's also dangerous as I just lost said arb to a pack of ewar rats.

Tailn
July 4 2011, 11:15:47 AM
Ran around earlier with my full fleet (scanning argano, sequer for loots, and baphomet for hostiles), that was slow and hard work. Changed it out for a tanked sequer with scanner (will be swapping it out for a shield tanked one later) my speed went up massively, and if I found any decent combat sites (infestation III's etc.) I would then send my artemis out to join the party. Less is most definitely more

Has any one tried the foom scanning tool? all I get when I run the installation fraps installed.

Lana Torrin
July 5 2011, 02:12:59 AM
Has any one tried the foom scanning tool? all I get when I run the installation fraps installed.

I have, its quite good. Its not actually helping me be any faster but what it is doing is letting me use less of the expensive 5000m probes.. I can usually get it down to 2000m or less with 3 probes and then another 1 or 2 to get it in to the 500m range..

Tailn
July 5 2011, 08:51:12 AM
I have, its quite good. Its not actually helping me be any faster but what it is doing is letting me use less of the expensive 5000m probes.. I can usually get it down to 2000m or less with 3 probes and then another 1 or 2 to get it in to the 500m range..

Care to explain how you got it working, when I run the package it unpacks an MSI then starts a fraps installation :(

Lana Torrin
July 5 2011, 09:07:34 AM
Care to explain how you got it working, when I run the package it unpacks an MSI then starts a fraps installation :(
Umm.. I downloaded the exe file and ran it... Perhaps you need to clear out your temp file in windows?

Ryoko Matsui
July 5 2011, 10:04:31 AM

Put the file into a folder of it's own (with nothing else in it) and then run it. It's not a bug per se in the Scanapp installer as much as it is a "feature" (Yeah, we're talking Micro$oft here afterall) in .NET 4 Framework. And YES, it's maddeningly annoying "feature".

Tailn
July 5 2011, 11:06:55 AM
Umm.. I downloaded the exe file and ran it... Perhaps you need to clear out your temp file in windows?

:( I also tried running it on my work laptop that has been rebuilt in the last week so definitely has nothing to do with previous fraps installs.