PDA

View Full Version : [MEGATHREAD] Dumb questions, good answers

Lana Torrin
June 30 2011, 05:02:25 AM
We probably need one of these.. I know I do..

So to get the ball rolling. Some of the weapon slots on the bots have dots after them, ie Missile () or Missile (/) .. What do the dots actually mean? Are they sizes??

Marlona Sky
June 30 2011, 07:05:00 AM
We probably need one of these.. I know I do..

So to get the ball rolling. Some of the weapon slots on the bots have dots after them, ie Missile () or Missile (/) .. What do the dots actually mean? Are they sizes??

I think so. One dot for small, two for medium.

I have a strong feeling like there will be tons more questions than we can answer due to us being noobs. lol

Lana Torrin
June 30 2011, 07:24:58 AM
[quote="Lana Torrin":1uufubv5]We probably need one of these.. I know I do..

I think so. One dot for small, two for medium.

I have a strong feeling like there will be tons more questions than we can answer due to us being noobs. lol[/quote:1uufubv5]

There are no such things as stupid questions.. Just stupid people...

I have been trying to work out how some people manage to get all of their missiles to fire at the same time and right at the top of the help channel is says '<space> to fire all weapons'

So.. Skilling for a Waspish is a go then if it can use medium missiles..

Hehulk
June 30 2011, 08:13:40 AM
Dots are indeed weapon sizes. Also when you open the equip screen those icons next to your turret slots represent what you can fit in them.

Ombey
June 30 2011, 08:27:15 AM
Can you move your bot using the minimap- ie. dbl click on floor equivalent?

What happens when you've done the tutorial missions and get your free sexy bot (Prometheus, although I guess this varies depending on start race/ corp?)? I have a variety of level 0 missions, I assume i just grind through those to get better standings and therefore missions?

Do NPC bots have bounties in the same way as rats in Eve? I've not seen any bounty sums on any bots, but that could be because they've been mission bots?

I'm sure I have more later 8-)

Lana Torrin
June 30 2011, 08:30:40 AM
Do NPC bots have bounties in the same way as rats in Eve? I've not seen any bounty sums on any bots, but that could be because they've been mission bots?

I was trying to work this one out myself. I believe the only way to make money off killing NPCs is to sell the loot..

Hehulk
June 30 2011, 08:58:28 AM
That's correct. Better NPCs drop more reactor plasma and so are worth more. Some of them will drop t2/3 items as well, but I'm reasonably sure those spawns are limited to the beta islands.

Siiee
June 30 2011, 09:22:31 AM
bot loot works like sleeper loot. The plasma drops are used only for selling to NPC orders.

Xennith
June 30 2011, 09:26:17 AM
If I decide to toddle off to the beta islands in my crappy light bot, will I be able to kill anything, and how many things would I need to kill in order to make enough cash to replace my thingy?

Are the higher teir robots bigger? I feel like I'm driving a remote control car.

Hehulk
June 30 2011, 09:33:53 AM
I was killing things on the beta islands yesterday in a yagel, but I was avoiding anything bigger than me out of expecting to get my face kicked in. Couldn't tell you how much I made though. Also yes, higher tier stompies are bigger.

Ombey
June 30 2011, 09:38:31 AM
Thanks- also, regarding loot- the stuff I can refine, am I better off to wait till i have better skills (although I am pure PvP and dont want to waste SPs on industry), or just do eeet?

Ryoko Matsui
June 30 2011, 09:39:04 AM
I've been playing PO since the betas so ask away, I'll answer what I can.

Then some answers:

Correct, they are maximum weapon size the slot will accept, one dot means small weapons, two medium.

And while Waspish can mount medium launchers, I would recommend against it, you will need very high fitting skills, the medium weapons aren't that effective versus small stuff. In case of missiles it all comes down to target surface size vs missile explosion size

What happens when you've done the tutorial missions and get your free sexy bot (Prometheus, although I guess this varies depending on start race/ corp?)? I have a variety of level 0 missions, I assume i just grind through those to get better standings and therefore missions?

Yes, you need to grind through missions (assignments) to get better ones:

relation (standing) required:
.201 for lvl1
1.01 for lvl2 (available from Alpha island outposts)
2.01 for lvl3 (again in Alpha island main Terminals)
3.01 for lvl4 (available on Beta islands)
and so on, currently there are assignments up to lvl6

Also the relation gain is capped so if you want to get high relations it means you gotta go out to Betas, otherwise you'll stop gaining relation shortly after gaining access to lvl4 (I THINK it's +1 relation to needed, should check FOOM wiki if it's there)

NPCs don't have bounties as is, but they drop Reactor Plasma that can be sold to npc buy orders and this acts as a "bounty". Currently the plasma has no other use and I'm not sure it will ever have.

Also higher rank NPCs (again I THINK) rank 3 and up, there are 5 ranks of NPCs in PO, only ranks 1 to 3 will spawn on Alpha islands, can drop higher tier equipment. The chance is quite small and on Alphas they will drop only Tier 2 stuff.

On the NPCs, There are 2 kinds of roaming NPCs that will spawn (no idea about the spawn cycle length, at start it was around 24 hours), Convoys and Observers. In short Convoys are mix of industrial bots (lairds, arganos, sequers) and some combat bots (1 or 2 mechs, few assaults and some lights) as protection. Observers on the other hand are quite a different story, best eve analogy is them being faction spawns. There are 2 kinds of Observers you can run into on Alpha islands: Observers and Grand Observers. They are usually either solo, or in pairs (1 assault + 1 mech). The difference between Observer and Grand Observer is their ferocity, Grand ones are a real pita to take down unless you got good skills and know what you do.

I hope this answers some questions you had.

Tailn
June 30 2011, 09:40:55 AM
Can you move your bot using the minimap- ie. dbl click on floor equivalent?

Double clicking on the terrain, WASD or double tap forwards are as far as i know the only movement methods.

That's correct. Better NPCs drop more reactor plasma and so are worth more. Some of them will drop t2/3 items as well, but I'm reasonably sure those spawns are limited to the beta islands.

Tier 1/2 Npc's drop Tier 1 items up to Tier 5 Npc's dropping up to Tier 4 items, it used to be that Tier 5 Npc's were only found on beta islands though I am not sure about the alpha-2 islands now.

If I decide to toddle off to the beta islands in my crappy light bot, will I be able to kill anything, and how many things would I need to kill in order to make enough cash to replace my thingy?

Are the higher teir robots bigger? I feel like I'm driving a remote control car.

Nope higher Tier bots are the same size the difference is their extensions the higher the tier the tougher the bot but still the same chassis and fittings (perhaps higher Tier or Nian fittings).
You may well be able to kill some of the easier Npc's on the beta islands in a light bot, however your nic / h would be very very low compared to grinding a decent spawn on alpha.

Xennith
June 30 2011, 09:44:54 AM
What do the various types of Ewar do?

Tailn
June 30 2011, 09:47:12 AM
Thanks- also, regarding loot- the stuff I can refine, am I better off to wait till i have better skills (although I am pure PvP and dont want to waste SPs on industry), or just do eeet?

Recycling extensions can make a huge difference in the profitability, pass them to a friend who has decent levels is my suggestion. Also white damage items cost substantially less to repair it used to be that repairing a red item would cost more than the mineral value added to the item, the only benefit was for reselling and then very rarely was that worth while.

Ryoko Matsui
June 30 2011, 09:51:04 AM

We got:

ECM = breaks you lock, you can start relock instantly
Drainers = same as nos in eve
Neuts = Duh, nukes your accu
Sensor damps = slows your lock time, shortens your max lock range
Demobs = webs

There is some others, I just can't remember what they do or how they work.

Tailn
June 30 2011, 09:56:02 AM

Pretty much the same as EvE,
ecm's break locks,
damps reduce lock range and increase lock time,
demobs slow a bots movement,
neut's neut and drainers NOS.

Check out the help documents Here (http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Help:Engineering_and_electronics)

Hehulk
June 30 2011, 10:04:47 AM
Mineral tiles, do they refill over time or just pop back into existence? I know plants regrow

Tailn
June 30 2011, 10:21:06 AM
Mineral tiles, do they refill over time or just pop back into existence? I know plants regrow

Pretty certain it is a very slow refill, used to be after a server reboot every thing was 100% again but I think that is fixed now :(. Happy to be corrected though on both points.

kay farriday
June 30 2011, 11:00:23 AM
Thanks Tailn

Is there a good summary of the pros/cons of each weapon system ? I went with the missile based race , though I'm now unsure if that was a wise decision.

Slight Edit:This seems to be rather good http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Help:Weapons_and_ammo , but I'd like some extra input from any of the perp vets as well if possible.

Ryoko Matsui
June 30 2011, 12:15:33 PM
Slight Edit:This seems to be rather good http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Help:Weapons_and_ammo , but I'd like some extra input from any of the perp vets as well if possible.

It's about right, what it does lack is the weapon masses though.

lightest to heaviest:
Lasers
Magneto (EM / Gauss)
Missiles
Firearms

Accu use is also a big advantage/disadvantage depending how you look at it. Magneto and Lasers eat accu like crazy where as Missiles and Firearms have next to no accu use.

Also, there is no bot (apart from the noobie Arkhe) that has Firearms bonuses.

dzajic
June 30 2011, 03:05:00 PM
Anyone know a list of all limitations of trial accounts? (other than simply saying its draconian)

Ryoko Matsui
June 30 2011, 03:12:30 PM
Anyone know a list of all limitations of trial accounts? (other than simply saying its draconian)

Trial accounts have the following limitations:

Creating and joining player-run corporations is disabled
The market is limited to NPC orders, and only direct selling or buying is possible (no order placing)
NIC transfer and direct trading with other players is disabled
Putting items into field containers is disabled
Sending ingame mails is disabled

Beyond these, trial accounts work like normal accounts, there are no other limitations to EP accumulation or other features. Of course redeeming a game code to a trial account will instantly lift these limitations, and the account will live on as a normal account containing everything the player has achieved on it.

from: http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Changelog:2011-03-19

Tyrus Tenebros
June 30 2011, 04:38:05 PM
If I accept a mission by squad... does the relationship increase depend on eah individual pilots diplomacy skill?

How long do field containers last? How roomy are they?

Can we threadnaught the absurdly low.recycling rates?

Ryoko Matsui
June 30 2011, 04:46:42 PM
If I accept a mission by squad... does the relationship increase depend on eah individual pilots diplomacy skill?

How long do field containers last? How roomy are they?

Can we threadnaught the absurdly low.recycling rates?

yes, relation gain is dependent on each squad members personal extensions (this also applies to the relation cap I mentioned earlier in this thread)

unaccessed field container lasts for 15 minutes (or is it 20, can't be sure), any access to one resets the counter, and they got no limits (it's a black hoooooooolllleeeee! :P )

Recycle rates are ok, they make miners actually be necessary since you can't just recyc all the minerals you need from loot. Although, I do tend to get enough loot so that I can MOSTLY build my own ammo just from loot recycling. But for any serious building it's not even near enough.

Tyrus Tenebros
June 30 2011, 05:59:29 PM
Im specifically referring to the rate for high ends.

At a level 2 recycling plant the high end recycle rate is .25% by default and extensions at max raise it to 10% which is utterly absurd. 1/4% trollolol

Space Panda
June 30 2011, 06:37:17 PM
here is a pretty dumb question: how the hell do i bring up my buddy list so i can lurk people?

Gix Tyrionn
June 30 2011, 07:24:52 PM
here is a pretty dumb question: how the hell do i bring up my buddy list so i can lurk people?
agent profile>relations>friends

Space Panda
June 30 2011, 07:27:39 PM
derp, thanks.

Alena Redruth
June 30 2011, 08:19:04 PM
Once i get an assault bot (waspish) should i keep running combat missions, or should i go rat somewhere? and if so any suggestions?

Space Panda
June 30 2011, 09:25:58 PM
Are there invulnerability timers upon undock and "jumping"? Like with that session timer thing, can I be attacked during that time?

Ryoko Matsui
June 30 2011, 09:51:26 PM
Once i get an assault bot (waspish) should i keep running combat missions, or should i go rat somewhere? and if so any suggestions?

Both (assignments & ratting) are good ways to make some NIC, if I were you, I'd stay on New Virginia.

Are there invulnerability timers upon undock and "jumping"? Like with that session timer thing, can I be attacked during that time?

Yes, there's a "Syndicate protection" timer, as long as you do NOTHING (move, activate mods) it'll protect you from attacks.

Space Panda
June 30 2011, 10:59:54 PM
Interesting, thanks.

Lana Torrin
July 1 2011, 02:40:17 AM
Died on New Virginia crew checking in... 3rd tier rats are HARD in a light bot.. Especially with no skills.. If anyone would like to try and farm them in all in for this.

Itiken
July 1 2011, 12:59:48 PM
Is this the game which got a slagging off a year or so back for being a ripoff of Eve but worse, that got better and is now for cool kids ?

Simokon
July 1 2011, 01:28:23 PM
So I just bought an arbalest and I suck at fitting it I can't make the best use of its slots (mainly the 2 medium gun slots) anyone have a good fitting for me. It is going to be used for ratting at the moment.

Tailn
July 1 2011, 01:33:37 PM
So I just bought an arbalest and I suck at fitting it I can't make the best use of its slots (mainly the 2 medium gun slots) anyone have a good fitting for me. It is going to be used for ratting at the moment.

Don't fit Med weapons to light or assault bots that should sort the fitting.

4 guns, sensor amp, rep. and fill the spare slots with damage mods and hardeners and possibly an accu re-charger if needed.

Qwackers
July 1 2011, 01:35:57 PM
What are the resist weaknesses of the 4(?) 'races' of bots, and, what's the best guns.

I've just got started and already lost a bot to NPC's :(

Lana Torrin
July 1 2011, 01:45:21 PM
What are the resist weaknesses of the 4(?) 'races' of bots, and, what's the best guns.

I've just got started and already lost a bot to NPC's :(

Added this to the info thread.. (Sticky just above this one)

Simokon
July 1 2011, 02:59:58 PM

Don't fit Med weapons to light or assault bots that should sort the fitting.

4 guns, sensor amp, rep. and fill the spare slots with damage mods and hardeners and possibly an accu re-charger if needed.

I want to use the medium gun slots though! /rage :P

Hehulk
July 1 2011, 03:36:05 PM
You'll be able to when you've got damned good fitting skills, but for now it is just gimping yourself to try and do it.

Lana Torrin
July 4 2011, 06:10:12 AM
Demobs... How do they work??

So I noticed there are 2 types? Do they really only work on legs (for l?) and spiders (for s?).. Does this go with NPCs as well??

Also, neuting NPCs.. how effective?

Hehulk
July 4 2011, 09:03:47 AM
Long range and Short range :)

Very uneffective. NPCs won't cheat with set-ups, but they are rumored to have infinite cap to run them with.

Lana Torrin
July 4 2011, 09:07:09 AM
Long range and Short range :)

Very uneffective. NPCs won't cheat with set-ups, but they are rumored to have infinite cap to run them with.

So I assume the short range one demobs more? I seriously need to get me one of these so I stop getting arbs killed to rats...

Hehulk
July 4 2011, 09:07:52 AM
Honestly I don't know. It might just be less fittings/cap to use.

Ryoko Matsui
July 4 2011, 10:24:46 AM

NPCs have to have infinite accu, otherwise the Legionnaires (Pelistal Tyrannos NPC mechs) would dry themselves up in a heartbeat since they're fitted with dual neuts and use them all the time. Not to mention running a repper and all the other ewar stuff they carry.

Hehulk
July 4 2011, 11:05:09 AM
You say that like it would be a bad thing

Ryoko Matsui
July 4 2011, 11:12:49 AM
Oh, it's not bad, afterall, that's the easiest way programmers can cheat while making NPCs seem more formidable against The Player who WILL find out everything he can and utilise every opportunity available. It's not new and unexpected at all.

Fantasy games with Magic / Mana / Whatever, Sci-fi games with Energy / Capacitor / Accumulator , you name it.

It just gets... Annoying sometimes.

Tailn
July 4 2011, 12:01:23 PM
It does mean that there is always accu to suck if you have a drainer though.

Devec
July 4 2011, 12:15:03 PM
This is one thing I would like to know, how effective are drainers both in pve and pvp?

Ohh_No
July 4 2011, 07:29:16 PM
Why are NeX so dishonourable?

Marlona Sky
July 4 2011, 11:16:16 PM
Why are NeX so dishonourable?

How so? I am looking for a reason to mass murder some. :D

Lana Torrin
July 5 2011, 01:58:35 AM
How so? I am looking for a reason to mass murder some. :D
Looking at the beta killboard, it looks like they have been mass murdering him...

Ashaz
July 14 2011, 12:53:42 PM
Shields. how do they work?
I got the impression from looking at the modules that they are out-of-combat modules+ can't shoot when your shield is active?
Then what use are they or am I missing something?

Hehulk
July 14 2011, 02:56:14 PM
When you activate a shield generator, any incoming damage drains your capacitor instead of eating into your armour. By default 1 point of damage = 1 unit of cap eaten, shield hardeners bring that up, and I think there's an extension to help it as well. Because it's not hitting your armour, armour hardeners have no effect.

The point of them in PVP is just to give yourself a better buffer. If an entire enemy team opens up on you with heavy firepower, having that 2-8k extra effective HP can and will save you so long as you turn it on while they're all still locking you.

Tailn
July 14 2011, 04:47:34 PM
They are also fantastic for RR gangs or support bots, all ewar and support modules work through them as well as mining lasers. A shield tanked dps mech with a couple of remote energy transfer bots and remote repair works very well against heavy damage opposition. The DPS mech can drop shields and volley fire, when its armour buffer is to low re-shield up and repaired very good for point defence with the support bots out of LOS (come on Terraforming).

Lana Torrin
July 15 2011, 01:52:56 AM
You can use them to drop a decoy bot in for PvE as well.. run in, get agro, shield up while buddies come in and pwn them (the rats will actually then agro the damage dealers, but then you can drop shields and join in the fun).

Also it is apparently common for the tackler in PvP to JUST do the initial tackle to give the bigger mechs time to get in range and apply tackle themselves. I guess once this has been done you could use a shield to stop your small tackler from getting absolutely owned in a revenge attack and get the hell out of there.. Personally I would use an ewar bot for this and then keep them around jamming people so they aren't useless, but that's just me and my piles and piles of NIC..

Sponk
July 18 2011, 02:21:02 AM
TMA Bots that die and blowing up in Area effect kaboom. How much will it take off, and at what radius?

Gix Tyrionn
July 18 2011, 06:48:11 PM
TMA Bots that die and blowing up in Area effect kaboom. How much will it take off, and at what radius?

Type of bot= area of effect, afaik mechs 100 assaults are 50.
Damage= dependent on armor, also their is a modifier by accumulator. Its not a direct modifier but more along the lines of if your under 50% cap you have -x% to explosion damage.

Sorry if I can't give more specific numbers. Same size bot= very close to all your armor, bigger bot= death. This is +/- plates and the like.

Happens with npcs on beta as well as people if you want to test it a bit.

If you want to be a suicide bomber fit plates+lots of demobs. The plates will make you resist other people's demobs and it will be easy to hug enemies. If the enemy is the same size as you (armor wise) you really just need to take his armor to half before you die for a guaranteed kill. With mods being worth massively more than the bot sub mk2/heavy this is pretty damn viable if used in conjunction with a scout for your t4 detector/loot grabbing. The problem being ofc being that 100m is a very small distance barring terrain, and no one wants to engage anywhere near it as fights don't start at warp to 0 but spotting players 1k-1.5k off.

dzajic
July 18 2011, 10:32:31 PM
Do expired trial accounts still exist or you have to activate during the trial?

Yeah I know its silly question but game is made out of spit and glue and trial is unprecedentedly restrictive, so who knows.

MicroNova
July 19 2011, 01:11:01 AM

Yeah I know its silly question but game is made out of spit and glue and trial is unprecedentedly restrictive, so who knows.

This doesn't exactly answer your questions but, I just reactivated my year old+ account from the beta, I had 40k EP and no characters.

Lana Torrin
July 19 2011, 02:16:23 AM

I think they still exist and they are also less restrictive than the free WoW trials..

Its like $10, just pay for a fucking month...

dzajic
July 19 2011, 11:28:00 AM
$10? :D Its more like $7. :D

I will pay (if suckers accept my card) for at least one month (likely 1 month to really try the game and than 3 month package if I really like it). But to do that I have to go to the bank and put money on my debt card account. That involves traveling across the city during a terrible heatwave (only! 35-38 deg C, but insane humidity).

So I let trial expire and robots will have to wait for cooler weather to come here.

Demoser
July 21 2011, 10:09:34 PM
This doesn't exactly answer your questions but, I just reactivated my year old+ account from the beta, I had 40k EP and no characters.

Your old acct from beta got awarded 40k ep due to the fact that it was around at beta. After that if you let your acct lapse all that happens, as of now, is that your acct will just not gain ep