PDA

View Full Version : Tribes: Ascend

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dark 0men
June 27 2011, 11:12:49 PM
Hey, remember how HiRez decided to buy the Tribes IP and reskin Global Agenda with it? It's going to be LoL-style F2P (http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/117/1178865p1.html)

Instead of buying champions, Tribes players will be buying loadouts. A loadout determines the characteristics of your character in battle -- specifically, their armor type (light, medium or heavy) which also affects movement (heavy units move slowly, light very quicky), the two weapons they will be carrying, the type of explosive they will wield, and what their pack (which can change the dynamic of a character) does.

As an example, one loadout gave my character medium armor, an explosive-disk-shooting gun, a decent rapid-firing handgun, a set of grenades, and 20% more energy for my standard jetpack.

A different loadout gave me heavy armor, a repair tool to fix structures with, a basic rifle, the ability to throw down mines (instead of grenades), and the ability to drop turrets.
Oh, and there's a trailer that shows ginormous weapon models and people moving kinda fast, but not skiing.

Stormscion
June 27 2011, 11:23:06 PM
cant w8

and f2p <3

Winged Nazgul
June 27 2011, 11:32:04 PM
Game-play footage:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/27/tr ... 16&show=HD (http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/27/tribes-ascend-gameplay-teaser-trailer?objectid=103016&show=HD)

/drool

Takon Orlani
June 28 2011, 12:19:38 AM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YES

ValorousBob
June 28 2011, 02:45:26 AM
Sooooo you're not "paying to win" though right?

Cerzi
June 28 2011, 02:53:56 AM
dayum, that trailer looks surprisingly tribes 2-y (the physics anyway). waant.

Forever Calzone
June 28 2011, 03:02:44 AM

Will have to wait and see but if they really do take the LoL model then it won't be.

Going to be very strange to see how that works in an FPS not entirely sure I would like it. I could actually see myself raging if the loadouts can't be modified in any shape or form. Example: the disc loadout the guy mentioned what about getting the same setup but with a shotgun instead of the smg does that mean buying an entirely new loadout or making alterations to the current one.

Great way of making money, great way of making people rage.

Dark 0men
June 28 2011, 03:59:53 AM
Eh. As far as competitive gaming goes, this model of F2P is... rather limp. For comparison, check out what Valve is doing with Dota 2 (http://www.gamersbook.com/scene/news/additional-dota-2-leaks-surfaced-today/). Note the obsessive focus on spectating/replays/casting/matchmaking/tournaments. HiRez? Standard minimal wage game studio.

dayum, that trailer looks surprisingly tribes 2-y (the physics anyway). waant.
Maaaaaaybe. Do you notice when the dude lands, he kinda walks along the ground for a bit and then stops? Either this game has no skiing (and jetpacks give you a large speed boost in mid-air), or the player is a massive scrublord.

Not bitter, just skeptical.

Cerzi
June 28 2011, 04:50:50 AM
i would be pretty shocked if they cut skiing out. T:V had it right?

Fachiri
June 28 2011, 05:14:50 AM

T:V had the 'push button, receive skiing' stuff, yeah.

Dogbeast
June 28 2011, 05:59:36 AM
I remember playing the first Tribes on a 28.8kbps modem. Was fun.

When this comes out, I'll be all over it.

Dark 0men
June 28 2011, 06:02:19 AM
Eh, T:V had a button to put you on imaginary rails. It felt extremely awkward, but I guess that's the best they could do on Unreal engine. Uh-oh I sense a pattern.

Intigo
June 28 2011, 06:04:13 AM
The skiing better not fucking suck.

El Capitano
June 28 2011, 08:24:53 AM
I'm gonna be all over this like a bad rash! Autumn is going to be sweet between this and BF3 :D

Trindermon
June 28 2011, 08:29:46 AM
apparently i am weird cause i think it looks really bad.

Synapse
June 28 2011, 10:56:52 AM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YES

got nothing after this.

Dark 0men
July 4 2011, 12:50:20 AM
HiRez in absolute shit fuckup non-shocker.

http://i.imgur.com/UQ4yY.gif

Fitzy
July 4 2011, 06:27:24 AM
Any particular reason why this guys opinion equates to an absolute fuck shitup non-shock?

Dark 0men
July 4 2011, 06:42:45 AM
Any particular reason why this guys opinion equates to an absolute fuck shitup non-shock?
No, it's his factual statements that describe an incoming train wreck. Have you ever played any of the Tribes games? I'm not a tribalwar bittervet with a grudge, but HiRez is taking great care to shit on every aspect that made the original games fun.

Fitzy
July 4 2011, 07:01:00 AM
No, it's his factual statements that describe an incoming train wreck. Have you ever played any of the Tribes games? I'm not a tribalwar bittervet with a grudge, but HiRez is taking great care to shit on every aspect that made the original games fun.

I blame tribes 1&2 for my poor maths grades. To my mind, what made the games fun was the large open maps, the jetpacking and skijumping, the mix of classes and weapons and the way they worked together, the vehicles and the different assets that could be destroyed/repaired.

I don't see what the problem is with spawning with your class, works in Bad Company. Same with health regen, still need medics. Assets self-repairing, seems a little gay, but not something I'm going to be upset about, same with skijumping not being as fast as in Tribes 2. Basicly everything he is getting his panties in a knot about is something I would have to see for myself before I was prepared to declare it a clusterfuck.

Also people that just want Tribe 2 with today's graphics, are probably best not even bothering, it's obvious that hirez are going to make changes to the formula if they think it will help make the game a commercial success. T2 was released a decade ago, that's a long time.

e: Also, just watching the video again, I'd like to add that it looks fucking awesome, there are guys flying every where and moving across the ground pretty fast. I've not got much time for people getting sandyvaginitus over certin things not being exactly like T2 if it's fun to play. They can go fuck off.

2nd e: Not accusing Dark Omen or anyone of having sandyvaginitus.

Dark 0men
July 4 2011, 08:27:22 AM
I blame tribes 1&2 for my poor maths grades. To my mind, what made the games fun was the large open maps, the jetpacking and skijumping, the mix of classes and weapons and the way they worked together, the vehicles and the different assets that could be destroyed/repaired.

I don't see what the problem is with spawning with your class, works in Bad Company. Same with health regen, still need medics.

Well, let's see. Assets that can be destroyed? Haha who cares, you spawn in a loadout already. Ignore your own base, free dudes up to kill shit.

Large open maps worked well when you could cover all engagement ranges with disk+grenade launcher+chaingun. Take away two of them. Now how do you kill someone?

Skiing? The video didn't show any. Probably not implemented yet.

Jetpacking? Not very far, or pistols and shotguns would be completely pointless.

Mix of classes? Heavy is going to need some _serious_ affirmative action to make up for being a fat piece of shit with no disk jumping (because he took mortar instead because otherwise why would you pick heavy).

As for health regen and medics... Are you sure we are talking about the same Tribes? They'll have to slow the fuck out of this game for healing to become viable.

Intigo
July 4 2011, 07:26:21 PM
Never really had high hopes for this shit anyway.

Fucking retarded companies all following the same trashy game-design now.

Samp
July 4 2011, 07:58:00 PM
As for health regen and medics... Are you sure we are talking about the same Tribes? They'll have to slow the fuck out of this game for healing to become viable.

Cruising round in transports machine gunning each other and reppacking over the ridge? I used to love the drive buy action.

Will it be terrible? Well everything is ofc. And it's on console. But they talk the tlak, the trailer talks about freedom of movement, and in my Feb 2000 review (which I can't belive I still have) the sence of freedom of movment was the number one thing which impressed me about Tribes, the feeling of being in control - not the feeling of driving a man shaped tank like you get in COD or whatever.

I can't say maybe they won't fuck it up becasue they always fuck everyhting up, parhapse we can hope they will be as dissapointed as we will be, and be at least a little ashamed.

Intigo
July 4 2011, 08:38:37 PM
Cruising round in transports machine gunning each other and reppacking over the ridge? I used to love the drive buy action.

What the bleeding fuck are you talking about? What kind of scrubby cunt were you in Tribes?

Samp
July 4 2011, 08:54:31 PM
Didn't you ever play that mod where you coudln't touch the ground?

Intigo
July 4 2011, 08:57:55 PM
I played Tribes 1, not Renegade or the other trashy mods.

The only good mod was Team Rabbit - that shit was hardcore with midair flag passes.

Dark 0men
July 4 2011, 10:21:18 PM
I played Tribes 1, not Renegade or the other trashy mods

No need to get mad. Total Air Combat was a hilarious gimmick. Nothing to do with the core Tribes gameplay, of course.

Samp
July 4 2011, 11:04:44 PM
Yeah that was it - it forced teamplay, no bollocks where some hotdog spends half the game complining the team is shit because he didn't get all the caps himself - you have to work together to setup the plays.

Fitzy
July 5 2011, 04:15:11 AM
Well, let's see. Assets that can be destroyed? Haha who cares, you spawn in a loadout already. Ignore your own base, free dudes up to kill shit.

Large open maps worked well when you could cover all engagement ranges with disk+grenade launcher+chaingun. Take away two of them. Now how do you kill someone?

Skiing? The video didn't show any. Probably not implemented yet.

Jetpacking? Not very far, or pistols and shotguns would be completely pointless.

Mix of classes? Heavy is going to need some _serious_ affirmative action to make up for being a fat piece of shit with no disk jumping (because he took mortar instead because otherwise why would you pick heavy).

Did Tribes not have healing? Fuck I can't remember I was consuming a lot of weed at that stage.

Anyway, my point stands, the game in the video looks fun and is clearly inspired by Tribes. If you're expecting any more than that, like for exampled Tribes 2 with modern graphics, you're going to be disappointed without doubt.

El Capitano
July 6 2011, 08:29:03 AM
Tribes didn't have self-regen, but you could repair teammates much like you could repair other equipment. As for spawning with loadouts, is there anywhere where it's explicitly said that's what will happen? I was under the impression that you simply had access to the loadouts but still needed a station to actually equip it.

Cerzi
July 6 2011, 08:58:50 AM
Sounds like the awesome base stuff, like taking out the generator, might not feature?

>:-o

Intigo
July 6 2011, 11:04:25 AM
Sounds like the GAME WILL SUCK. Durrr.

Cerzi
August 5 2011, 08:03:37 PM
0B_K4CAMEdU

:notworthy:

looking pretty awesome. skiing is in, physics look really good, base generators are there.. hmm.. please be good.

Intigo
August 5 2011, 11:16:01 PM
That guy is gaining speed while going backwards without doing ANY skiing. It looks like the artificial bullshit skiing in T:V

There was also a point where he was gaining speed just moving forward on a completely flat surface.

THAT IS NOT SKIING.

Takon Orlani
August 5 2011, 11:32:19 PM
Indigo being bitter, nbs.

Dark 0men
August 6 2011, 12:37:31 AM
Halo on rails? :) I guess there won't be much of a skill curve, aside from abusing the plethora of hitscan weapons with one's youthful reflexes.

Gix Tyrionn
August 6 2011, 12:54:37 AM
Free online shooter, if it isn't grossly pay to win then its probably worth a download. Especially with it being a fast paced game.

One can only play quake online so many times before wishing modern games would be fast.

Xiang Jiao
August 6 2011, 08:30:54 AM
I haven't had as much fun with a shooter as I had in college with the Shifter mod of SS:Tribes. Holy shit, it was all I played for a year (aside from Diablo 2). The only other Tribes I played was Vengence and that was pretty meh.

Un-s_kYb0T4

Intigo
August 6 2011, 11:06:34 AM
Xiang, that looks pretty terrible, m8

Indigo being bitter, nbs.

So sorry for wanting a good game.

Fitzy
August 7 2011, 04:40:03 AM
So sorry for wanting a good game.

That video looked like a good game, you appear to want Tribes 1 with a graphics update.

Shade Millith
August 7 2011, 09:39:13 AM
That video looked like a good game, you appear to want Tribes 1 with a graphics update.

Heavens forbid a sequel should live up to it's predecessors.

Will have to see though.

Intigo
August 7 2011, 12:53:16 PM

Because all the recent Tribes games have not been good games because they swayed too far from the original.

See Tribes: Vengeance which was utter trash.

Fitzy
August 7 2011, 03:50:38 PM
Because all the recent Tribes games have not been good games because they swayed too far from the original.

See Tribes: Vengeance which was utter trash.

A game, this game even, may be shit for any number of reasons, but I disgree with the premise that the game will be shit because it sways "too far from the original". Even sequals should, and must I would argue, stand on their own merits.

Agree that vengance was no good.

Intigo
August 7 2011, 04:15:28 PM
Skiing is one of the few places you CANNOT sway from the original.

Floaty, gliding skiing is utter shit developed for console retards who cannot fathom how it would normally work.

Gix Tyrionn
August 7 2011, 09:04:54 PM
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/140/2/2/PC_Gaming_Master_Race_by_Claidheam_Righ.jpg

Xiang Jiao
August 7 2011, 11:10:45 PM
Xiang, that looks pretty terrible, m8

Did you play Starsiege: Tribes at all? It looks terrible because the game was released in 1998. I played the Shifter mod from 2000-2002 or thereabouts. It wasn't the stunning graphics that made the game, but the intricate and fast-paced team-based game play. Hopefully, this is a lesson CCP will learn some day. You could build your own mini bunkers, launch nukes, deploy auto-turrets, and then some. My favorite pastime was using the grav gun (I believe it had two settings, attract and repel) to run around pushing people off the floating levels where players would fall to their doom. Hilarious!

Fitzy
August 8 2011, 03:03:38 AM

Floaty, gliding skiing is utter shit developed for console retards who cannot fathom how it would normally work.

It's ridiculous to argue that skiing has to function exactly the same as tribes 1 for the the game to be good. The skiing could be a perfect replica and the game could still be shit, and the reverse could also be true.

Intigo
August 8 2011, 10:31:35 AM
Did you play Starsiege: Tribes at all? It looks terrible because the game was released in 1998. I played the Shifter mod from 2000-2002 or thereabouts. It wasn't the stunning graphics that made the game, but the intricate and fast-paced team-based game play. Hopefully, this is a lesson CCP will learn some day. You could build your own mini bunkers, launch nukes, deploy auto-turrets, and then some. My favorite pastime was using the grav gun (I believe it had two settings, attract and repel) to run around pushing people off the floating levels where players would fall to their doom. Hilarious!

Haha, oh wow.

I was referring to your trashy mod, not the game itself. You obviously haven't read any other of my posts if you think I haven't played Tribes. :p

Mavolio
August 8 2011, 12:01:53 PM
It's ridiculous to argue that skiing has to function exactly the same as tribes 1 for the the game to be good. The skiing could be a perfect replica and the game could still be shit, and the reverse could also be true.

While that is true what made the original so good for a lot of people was that while some games only focus on your ability to aim tribes had the ability to ski to add an extra dimension of skill which made it more interesting. From what i saw in that video any one can ski perfectly (or close enough it wont matter) so now its just back to how well you can aim so why would i get this over the next Unreal?

Womble
August 8 2011, 02:04:22 PM
I don't see what the problem is with spawning with your class, works in Bad Company. Same with health regen, still need medics.

The old way of being able to run to a console and change loadout gave a good way to respond to threats and adapt. Health regen just lets lights ski away, wait and come back. Health regen makes the game less tactical as you don't have to worry about your health as much.

Going to take some flame for this but: In TF2 32 players on 24 man maps and insta respawn let to zerging and a reduction in the value of your life (thats why they added soldiers rage IMO) Having 16 guys charge in with health regen will not be as tactical as guys worrying about taking fire and will reduce the effectiveness of aoe weapons.

Ashaz
August 8 2011, 03:55:42 PM
*mental preparation* It's just gona suck anway. It's just gona suck anway. It's just gona suck anway. It's just gona suck anway. It's just gona suck anway.

there.

...ah fuck it! I WANT this to be as epic as tribes 2 was! I want it! I want it now!

Trindermon
August 8 2011, 07:47:32 PM

I find it amusing and a little bizzar that anyone would think of tribes ski'ing as a complicated skill, it was fun and required technique; but the "lol console" cheap shot actaully says more about you than whatever point your trying to make.

I do however agree that new devs should get as close to the original movement as is possible.

Dogbeast
August 8 2011, 08:21:03 PM
Never got the hang of skiing crew checking in.

Played Tribes when it was released, and for almost a year afterwards. But I guess I was too young or :lolDontCare: about it to figure it out. Mostly just stuck in base making impenetrable defenses with multiple forcefield barriers. I remember even making a room of forcefields within 2 other rooms of forcefields. Fun times.

mewninn
August 14 2011, 04:42:44 AM
If it's going to turn out to be some unmoddable piece of shit like vengeance was then it should take out the Tribes in its name and diaf

Cerzi
August 15 2011, 10:43:15 PM
F2P microtransaction bs = almost definitely not moddable, at least not properly. Otherwise people would just mod it and make it free. sucks yeah

also in case anyone hasn't seen this, it sounds overall quite positive but with a few things that are a bit worrying: http://kotaku.com/5829694/

ps. agreed that skiing is being made out to be more complex than it really was itt. yeah there was a nice high skill ceiling (i was flag capper for my clan, aka grav bike momentum-leaper), but honestly there's a lot more depth to the physics/movement of quake 3. having said that, nothing has come anywhere close to either in like a decade, with movement/physics in games being overregulated (eg brink - parkour in Q3 was so much cooler because it wasn't a prescribed mechanic like the i-win parkour buttan).

Intigo
August 15 2011, 11:10:09 PM
F2P microtransaction bs = almost definitely not moddable, at least not properly. Otherwise people would just mod it and make it free. sucks yeah

also in case anyone hasn't seen this, it sounds overall quite positive but with a few things that are a bit worrying: http://kotaku.com/5829694/

ps. agreed that skiing is being made out to be more complex than it really was itt. yeah there was a nice high skill ceiling (i was flag capper for my clan, aka grav bike momentum-leaper), but honestly there's a lot more depth to the physics/movement of quake 3. having said that, nothing has come anywhere close to either in like a decade, with movement/physics in games being overregulated (eg brink - parkour in Q3 was so much cooler because it wasn't a prescribed mechanic like the i-win parkour buttan).

wat game are you talking about being a flag capper in? o.O grav bike momentum-leaper? the fuck

also, that kotaku preview is pretty damn depressing because it's written by a kotaku employee (ie. a retard) so what he finds as minor annoyances are probably pretty fucking big

they better fix skiing and disc jumps or the game is bound to be trash

plus fuck micro-transaction bullshittery

Cerzi
August 16 2011, 12:40:25 AM
it's been like 10 years, so no that isn't correct terminology or anything. But i remember spending a lot of time in T2 trying to max the speed at which i pick the flag up on certain maps. One that always stands out in my memory is Katabatic, where I used to flank round the back on a grav bike, turbo and eject, gain a boost of even more speed by skiing off a hill right behind their base and landing on the flag at a few hundred kmph. If timed right after a good bombing run or mortar round I wouldn't be gibbed by mines and would be half way across the map before the other team even knew it.

Fitzy
August 16 2011, 02:22:58 AM
wat game are you talking about being a flag capper in? o.O grav bike momentum-leaper? the fuck

also, that kotaku preview is pretty damn depressing because it's written by a kotaku employee (ie. a retard) so what he finds as minor annoyances are probably pretty fucking big

they better fix skiing and disc jumps or the game is bound to be trash

plus fuck micro-transaction bullshittery

You think it's going to be shit, we get it.

Intigo
August 16 2011, 07:27:14 AM
it's been like 10 years, so no that isn't correct terminology or anything. But i remember spending a lot of time in T2 trying to max the speed at which i pick the flag up on certain maps. One that always stands out in my memory is Katabatic, where I used to flank round the back on a grav bike, turbo and eject, gain a boost of even more speed by skiing off a hill right behind their base and landing on the flag at a few hundred kmph. If timed right after a good bombing run or mortar round I wouldn't be gibbed by mines and would be half way across the map before the other team even knew it.

Tribes 2 skiing was also dumbed down from Tribes 1 though

Trindermon
August 16 2011, 03:44:03 PM
Tribes 2 skiing was also dumbed down from Tribes 1 though

repeat after me, SKIING WAS NOT HARD, SKIING WAS NOT HARD. Jesus.

Also, it wasnt "dumbed down", Skiing in Starsiege was a fucking bug - it wasnt supposed to be in the dam game.

Its like a rocket jump in quake - a bug that players liked and became a feature; Hence the problems with recreating it in a modern engine - "hey guys, we need skiing to work right, anyone want to copy paste a ancient massivly broken physics engine?".

Also, i forgot, repeat after me, SKIING WAS NOT HARD, SKIING WAS NOT HARD. Jesus.

ALSO again. More hitscan weapons or they can piss off. Disk throwing gets old soon.

Intigo
August 16 2011, 04:21:16 PM
there was a lot of skill to proper skiing - the system currently in allows very little improvement and is most definitely EASIER which is a BAD THING

the fact that discjumping isn't even properly implemented is disgusting

and no shit it wasn't intended originally, that doesn't change the fact that it was dumbed down later in order to appeal to the masses (bads)

Trindermon
August 16 2011, 04:25:38 PM
and no shit it wasn't intended originally, that doesn't change the fact that it was dumbed down later in order to appeal to the masses (bads)

It was implemented a fresh, and therefore it turned out slightly different (well actaully in t2s case a fair bit different); but its overly emo to say it was dumbed down, it was just a different take on the mechanic - at least the intention was fair.

Agree that disk jumping needs to be implemented as a powerful technique, its rather important. (and a half hearted version is not so

Dark 0men
August 16 2011, 06:14:30 PM
repeat after me, SKIING WAS NOT HARD, SKIING WAS NOT HARD. Jesus.

Everybody is a pro on an internet forum. What amazing feats of easy skiing did you achieve in T1?

It was implemented a fresh, and therefore it turned out slightly different (well actaully in t2s case a fair bit different); but its overly emo to say it was dumbed down, it was just a different take on the mechanic - at least the intention was fair.

You see, mentally retarded children aren't retards, they are just differently abled.

No, the intention was to implement something that appeals to the casual while calling it skiing as part of the larger namegrab. There's air friction and a speed limit, for fuck's sake.

Intigo
August 16 2011, 10:40:24 PM
no one was actually any good at Tribes 1 so it's hard to take them seriously :[

Winged Nazgul
August 25 2011, 11:52:06 PM
c7mWUuEjHbU

Mavolio
August 26 2011, 12:18:39 AM
I like how the base repair tool is in that little box thing on the wall.

Shade Millith
August 28 2011, 01:40:54 AM
Video

This is the problem with the regenerating health. When he gets into the juggernaught and gets into the fight at around the 8:30 mark, 2-3 missed spinfuser shots is about long enough for the regen to kick in. It's far too quick to start, and too fast a regen.

Durzel
August 28 2011, 12:01:53 PM
I'm embarassed to even ask this but the original Tribes (and 2) didn't have regenerating health at all did it? I seem to recall always selecting a repair kit for self-healing and healing others.

Intigo
August 28 2011, 12:11:24 PM
I'm embarassed to even ask this but the original Tribes (and 2) didn't have regenerating health at all did it? I seem to recall always selecting a repair kit for self-healing and healing others.

Ya, they didn't. Introducing it (as it is now) is a horrible idea - if it was more like the Deus Ex health regen, it would be fairly ok. Perhaps limit the regeneration when you're moving very fast (ie. skiing) so that you can't regen while you're flying off with a cap or something. Or remove it while you have the flag.

Or just get fucking rid of if it since it's a retarded mechanic, but that's unlikely.

El Capitano
August 28 2011, 12:38:19 PM
Regenerating health takes away a rather huge aspect of Tribes. I used to essentially run a support role by carrying a rep kit and concentrating on keeping everybody repped and our systems fixed back up.

Alain Colcer
August 28 2011, 04:28:57 PM
Gotta say that after seeing Nazul's video, im quite intrigued to try T:ascend.

I think health regeneration should either be removed or toned down heavily, but the whole "fast paced" thing is there....just like the old times.

orcane
August 28 2011, 06:26:40 PM
Welcome to the world of Tribes. Any intelligent discourse about gameplay evolution is doomed to fail. The only "community" that was as terrible as Tribes fanbois was NMA, but I'm not sure if anyone there survived the direction of the series since Fallout 3.

Intigo
August 28 2011, 07:02:34 PM
Welcome to the world of Tribes. Any intelligent discourse about gameplay evolution is doomed to fail. The only "community" that was as terrible as Tribes fanbois was NMA, but I'm not sure if anyone there survived the direction of the series since Fallout 3.

gameplay evolution

lmfao

orcane
August 29 2011, 08:34:34 AM
case in point

Drachenlord
August 29 2011, 02:45:58 PM
case in point

QFT... Most of the Old Tribes community is a bunch of sperging fucking retards that demand that gameplay stay exactly the way it was 12 years ago... Intigo is an excellent case study proving this.

That being said, there are a lot of instances here where Hi-Rez is flat out not listening to their testers and community... just like they did on Global Agenda... which is pretty shitty

Mavolio
August 29 2011, 03:30:41 PM
It doesn't have to be exactly the same but making it worse doesn't make sense. They would be better of not calling it Tribes 2 and just starting a new IP as its going to get shit reviews from peoples misty eyes recollections of the first game

orcane
August 29 2011, 07:04:07 PM
It doesn't have to be exactly the same but making it worse doesn't make sense. They would be better of not calling it Tribes 2 and just starting a new IP as its going to get shit reviews from peoples misty eyes recollections of the first game
It's going to get that regardless of what they do.

In general I agree of course, doing something differently isn't an excuse for doing it badly, but that only works if we're talking about obviously bad mechanics/decisions and not those which are ultimately in the eye of the beholder. Most fanboi rage - especially by Tribes folk - is of the latter variety.

Shade Millith
August 30 2011, 01:01:49 AM
if it was more like the Deus Ex health regen, it would be fairly ok.

Deus Ex's regen is probably the first regen I haven't had a problem with. Simply because you die bloody quick under fire, and it's incredibly slow.

It's not '5 seconds to kick in, 4 seconds to full health'.

Gix Tyrionn
August 30 2011, 07:16:42 AM
It doesn't have to be exactly the same but making it worse doesn't make sense.

You must have missed the progression of 99% of video game series.

Trindermon
August 30 2011, 04:06:52 PM
Ya, they didn't. Introducing it (as it is now) is a horrible idea - if it was more like the Deus Ex health regen, it would be fairly ok. Perhaps limit the regeneration when you're moving very fast (ie. skiing) so that you can't regen while you're flying off with a cap or something. Or remove it while you have the flag.

Or just get fucking rid of if it since it's a retarded mechanic, but that's unlikely.

Some times regenerating health makes sense, like in a single player game (or a game with a good single player campaign), so you can balance each encounter and not have to worry about if there is enough health availible on the level for it to be possibe. In this case however, you are compleatly right, Regenning health has no fucking place in tribes (or any grab a run style game) - running half the map with only a few pixels of health adds to the excitment and stops lame running and hiding waiting for health to get better shit.

Intigo
August 30 2011, 04:39:24 PM
hell, I remember having to slow down toward the end of flag caps if I only made it out with 5% hp and landing with too high speed / landing slightly wrong on the next skiing part would kill me

with some idiotic health regen that wouldn't even be considered and that's just silly

and no, I'm not against "gameplay evolution", but there are certain mechanics that made the Tribes game great - I'm against altering excellent mechanics or adding retarded new ones, which is exactly what HiRez will do

Dark 0men
August 30 2011, 08:12:55 PM
hell, I remember having to slow down toward the end of flag caps if I only made it out with 5% hp and landing with too high speed / landing slightly wrong on the next skiing part would kill me

"ctrl-k to heal" is a hard concept for game designers and casual players to cope with.

Also, holding flag turns regen off in T:A.

Intigo
August 30 2011, 09:05:40 PM
"ctrl-k to heal" is a hard concept for game designers and casual players to cope with.

Also, holding flag turns regen off in T:A.

thank god

and yes, ctrl-k was another unintentionally awesome mechanic (the reference was obviously in a position where you can't safely ctrl-k) - not to mention how varied gameplay was in terms of playing naked or not, deciding whether to keep your base repped or not

so much more indepth than the shitty fps'es you get nowadays

Dark 0men
September 2 2011, 08:00:56 PM
By the way, in case you haven't been keeping up (with the somethingawful thread), half the weapons in the game are hitscan and HiRez loves that shit and will never change it.

Pic (http://i.imgur.com/BAGp4.jpg) with all the loadouts

Why hitscan weapons? After prodding a bit (and mentioning that Global Agenda has projectile bullets), it sounds like the dev team implemented and experimented with projectile bullets, and the decision to cut them was driven negative playtest feedback from people with less/no Tribes experience.

Let the happymod3 begin. hm2 gave persistent see-through IFFs and bright red huge mine/turret/sensor models. Also, pretty consistent autoaim with laser rifle and shocklance. I guess HiRez decided to improve on the latter.

Seifyr33
September 3 2011, 05:44:34 AM
I played this for a few hours at PAX- I had a lot of fun with it, sure it might not be as hard core as the earlier Tribes ( I never really got into them much, just a bit of T2) but it sure isn't some COD type game. I can see them trying to aim towards a slightly more casual crowd (i.e. the bigger gaming community) to try to make a fun game that makes people want to play. It won't be the same experience as the early tribes but I think it will still be a fun game for a while.

Winged Nazgul
October 10 2011, 01:37:43 PM
Beta scheduled to start Nov. 4:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/10/tribes-ascends-into-beta-next-month/

Dahak
November 2 2011, 02:21:01 AM
Confirming the Nov 4th thing. Just got my beta key email.

Edit: It requires the Hi-Rez unified launcher called "Hi-Command". Global Agenda doesn't require this as it is through Steam. We'll see how bad it could possibly be.

Dahak
November 3 2011, 02:09:59 PM
So the launcher isn't terrible. Not great, but not bad. Also I just got an email with some interesting bits.

Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Begins Tomorrow!
Player Progression Will Be Preserved In Beta, No Character Wipes Planned

ATLANTA - November 3, 2011 -- Hi-Rez Studios today confirmed that the Closed Beta for Tribes: Ascend will begin on Friday, November 4, 2011.

Studio representatives also announced that no character wipes are planned during Beta. Player advancement in terms of rank, class unlocks, and skill progression will carry forward beyond Closed Beta, into Open Beta and into Release

Previous Tribes titles have been played by well over 1 million gamers and feature fast-paced, jetpack-enabled multiplayer combat. Tribes: Ascend continues this tradition, delivering speed, verticality, vehicles and stunning graphics within an entirely new, free-to-play game for the PC.

The Closed Beta build of Tribes: Ascend includes two initial class options - the Soldier and the Ranger, 10 additional classes available to be permanently unlocked, 3 drivable vehicles, 2 game-modes, and servers located across North America, Europe and Australia. Prior to release Hi-Rez will also support Ranked Servers and Private Servers.

"Compared to Alpha, Tribes: Ascend enters Beta with even more unlockable classes, a skill & perk system, and additional projectile-based weapons" said Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer. "And we plan to deliver new playable maps and classes after Beta and even after Release. Our dev team is excited to reintroduce such a fast-paced, team-based shooter and we are looking forward to playing alongside the Beta community."

Players interested in joining the Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta can register for an invitation at http://www.tribesascend.com.

Those wishing to guarantee a Closed Beta spot may purchase the Tribes: Ascend VIP Starter Bundle at the game's official website. The bundle includes automatic admission into Beta, permanent VIP status in the game, a 30-day Booster and 3000 Tribes Gold. The VIP Starter Bundle is priced at a 33% discount to list price, as a reward to the game's early testers.

Additional information can be found in the online FAQ.

Winged Nazgul
November 3 2011, 02:29:44 PM
Hmmm, I guess that's one way to ensure plenty of players playing in closed beta.

Hopefully, the game releases soon and the advantages of leveling in closed beta don't become too obvious at release.

Intigo
November 3 2011, 09:15:02 PM
unlockables, leveling and all this other shit is fucking retarded

fuck the faggot who ever invented that shit

you can preorder a special version and get 3000 TRIBES GOLD on their website

fuck's sake.

Vortex
November 3 2011, 09:29:02 PM
Meanwhile, in starsiege universe canon, an Ajudicator shows up and kills everyone with a burst of its radiation gun.

F2P had me nervous for this exact reason. Why can't they just, you know, make a good game without adding this kind of crap to it? I don't mind unlockables like battlefield series do, and I don't mind F2P like WoT does (although the tiering system and matchmaking in WoT can DIAF), but trying to monetize your monetization is dumb. Also, betas should never be used to allow some players to start with gameplay-impacting abilities. If you want them to have a cool forum Icon or unique skin or whatever, thats fine, but starting out with whatever the imba class will be (and there will be one given the hitscan weapons) while everyone else is scrub tier is duuuuuumb.

Derpy'eart
November 4 2011, 07:18:49 PM
Just got an invite.
The ammount of memory leaks and crashes reminds me of ut3 launch, which is unsurprising since it's the same engine.
The 2 classes available at the start feel pretty polished though, so does the game overall. Skiing feels not as terrible as i expected, default weapons feel just about right, however since those are the "medium" weapons/armor, the ammount of damage "heavy" weaponry could do could potentially be op, not to mention upgrades.
The grind is p. terrible though, will post more when/if i actually have enough points to buy anything interesting.

mobiusnm
November 5 2011, 07:29:25 AM
Just played my first beta games today. Basically the f2p works same as global agenda right now. There are tokens, experience, and "tibes points".

If you "buy the game" for say 20 bucks, you get double xp and tokens per match played (more for wins). If on top of that you pay for a booster (ie, monthly fee but can be as few as 10 days ect...) you get double on top of that. In pvp matches the baseline reward for winning depended on time but was around 50 tokens. If you bought the game it was 100, and if you paid for a "booster" it was 200. In Global Agenda for instance: a good weapoou gn cost around 7500 tokens.

You use tokens to unlock new "classes" which if you played the originals are preset loadouts for various roles. (Sniper, flag runner, mortar heavy, ect...) It seems that right now they plan on the cost of unlocking classes costing exponentially more tokens each class you unlock. I forget the cost of unlcoking a class, but tbh I havnt even won a match in beta yet :X So not sure how much you earn for winning.

Xp lets you upgrade hp/dmg, ect for your characters, and can only be upgraded by buying the game/booster.

Bottom line, as in all f2p, you upgrade a lot faster paying some moneys, but as in global agenda, the benefits of upgrades are marginal... noticeable but not game breaking on a casual level.

As to gameplay, the graphics are a bit awkward but could get better. I miss the easy customization of the original (so many fun mods too), but the jetpacking/physics and large outdoor fights has no substitute. A whole new level of aiming/movement planning is neccesary.

Stormscion
November 5 2011, 09:24:39 AM
why i cant get my beta ;(

Shade Millith
November 5 2011, 11:01:07 AM
Xp lets you upgrade hp/dmg

Yea, fuck this game.

Cerzi
November 5 2011, 02:58:34 PM
That shit just totally inhibits the growth of any kind of competitive clan scene, which is something I remember T2 being great for. If the level caps are low enough then I guess it's ok, as it could potentially just be another way to build your clan for different matches. But if the grind is long term then suddenly this game just lost a fuckload of esports potential.

Gix Tyrionn
November 5 2011, 07:04:29 PM
So far it looks like its fairly quick to max out one class, takes forever to max them all.

For what its worth it'll make "balancing" easier because people won't be able to swing wildly between fotm's. It'll also bring out the time old mmo butthurt when the classes you've finished leveling get nerfed.

As for competitive gaming look at lol, no one gives a fuck because everyone's max level.

MicrosoftSam
November 6 2011, 12:09:32 AM
Got CB key and the starter pack.

There are several imbalances in between classes but overall I'm enjoying the game more than I thought I would.

So far, my favs are brute/juggernaut and the sniper (it's hitscan so it's ez as shit to land hits)

edit: also the exp gains are meager at best. +100 hp on a class with 2.4k hp is barely nothing.

The general layout of upgrades (xp based - non purchasable with money) seems to be:

extra ammo on w/e weapons you have or extra grenades (holding 2 nades instead of just 1)
Extra friction (apparently increases accel a bit - have it, did not notice much difference)
extra hp (in 100hp packs, max 2 skills so far so +200 hp)
faster regen (25% less delay in starting to regen health/25% less delay in the actual regening of health)
commodities (25% less cost for vehicles; 200 extra cr for killing shit; damage falloff - sniper; claymore range; etc..)

There are a few that increase/decrease damage on vehicles or high armored targets - particularly for guns which don't do damage to armor or for slow classes who take loads of damage from vehicles (heavies).

Overall it doesn't seem like the exp stuff is really imbalanced. My previous comment reflects solely on weapons/classes.

Intigo
November 6 2011, 08:39:50 AM
So far it looks like its fairly quick to max out one class, takes forever to max them all.

As for competitive gaming look at lol, no one gives a fuck because everyone's max level.

Hi. You're an idiot. Just saying.

Xp lets you upgrade hp/dmg

Yea, fuck this game.

Preach on, brotha.

Shade Millith
November 6 2011, 09:30:01 AM

takes forever to max them all

This isn't LOL where one person chooses a role for the entire game.

You spawn what is REQUIRED at that point in the game. If you CANNOT spawn as what is required, at the maximum possible potential, you're a liability. This is a problem. It's requiring each player to grind for 50+ hours before they can finally say "I'm playing at my best". It's emphasizing grind over skill.

You can't just say to a clan "Oh, I'm x class, and that's it." If there's 4 tanks rolling up, you damn well get anti-tank. If they need stealth, you get your arse into the role. etc etc.

EDIT: I would also consider this a problem with LOL. However I don't play LOL, and have a hatred of the game and it's entire genre, so I couldn't care less about it's decisions for it's competitive scene

Gix Tyrionn
November 6 2011, 03:56:50 PM
Grind 50+ hours is retardedly over estimated.

The point with lol was that no one gives a fuck what your idea of competitive is. Wow has esports and its the definition of gear based.

If painkiller was any indication chasing "pro" gaming is the worst thing they can do for the multiplayer community.

Dahak
November 7 2011, 01:43:21 AM
This is my first experience with any Tribes games, I was 8 when the first one came out. I have to say I'm really terrible at moving fluidly. I was pursuing some guy as he ran with our flag and when he started jetting up a hill that was almost at a right angle to the capture point I was thinking "What is he doing?" and used the time to close the gap between us. Then he began skiing down and shot past me almost unharmed.

Definitely something I'll need to work on remembering.

Derpy'eart
November 7 2011, 02:31:06 AM
Caved in, bought the starter pack, bought some classes with the "gold".
Holy shit the light pathfinder and sniper classes are fun. I'm having a blast in empty servers just skiing around.
Turrets seem to p. fucking annoying and can be upgraded to track pretty much everything, so the best medium class is the scrambler, hands down.
What i really don't like, is that the class xp and tokens are only given at the end of a match.
I guess it kinda prevents leavers from getting much grinding done, but while the game is still crashing every 5-10 minutes it's just a stupid mechanic.

MicrosoftSam
November 7 2011, 09:38:48 PM
You still get your XP/Tokens if you crash. Notice your numbers pre and post crash.

Also I strongly disagree on scrambler being the best medium. Imo, soldier (gp capping/chasing) and ranger (hitscan lolAR that deals tons of damage) are the most competitive ones - they are also unlocked by default.

Against the scrambler ya got the raider that does everything the scrambler does minus the jammer pack (which asides from revealing infiltrators and stopping turrets does generally little good). The raider's nades are also better at killing stuff with a better AoE radius, damage and better arc.

Stormscion
November 8 2011, 08:23:20 AM
well global agenda now has reasonable f2p model we can assume that they will not randomly fuck up with tribes ...

Winged Nazgul
November 14 2011, 09:50:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HCnrU3FT8

Lana Torrin
November 15 2011, 11:13:40 AM
So I have signed up for the beta. Not going to be paying any money yet as I don't have any, so I get to sit and wait to see if I get let in.

Rosur2
November 15 2011, 02:28:22 PM
So I have signed up for the beta. Not going to be paying any money yet as I don't have any, so I get to sit and wait to see if I get let in.

currently what i'm doing.

Lana Torrin
November 16 2011, 01:43:51 AM

currently what i'm doing.

If I had money I would just pay them some of it.. It looks like a nice game and im bored.. (Broken 100Mil NIC in Perpetuum and I literally have nothing to spend money on now, so im ratting for beacons and then dropping them on miners.)

Dahak
November 16 2011, 06:48:48 PM
People not using force fields to block drive-by flag steals :rage:

Cerzi
November 16 2011, 07:32:12 PM
Given in and pre-ordered. Can tell I'm gonna be a frustrated bittervet about a lot of it but dayum I just feel like playing Tribes again.

MicrosoftSam
November 16 2011, 09:22:07 PM
Guys if you need keys, let people know. Those who preorder (me included) get like 2/3 keys to give away.

Edit: Fml, seems the function is currently disabled... I remember it working tbfh!

Winged Nazgul
November 16 2011, 09:23:48 PM
Key plz.

MicrosoftSam
November 16 2011, 10:35:22 PM
got 1 key left, sent one to winged nazgul and another to lana.

If anyone else wants it, lemme know. I may or may not be able to procure more keys via my friends in-game.

Levark
November 16 2011, 10:51:37 PM
would love a key...since the freaking invite doesnt arrive

MicrosoftSam
November 16 2011, 11:02:32 PM
Sent the last one to levark. Will ask around for more.

Won't promise to get more, but in any case drop reqs in the thread.

Lana Torrin
November 17 2011, 12:28:52 AM
TBH I just bought 2 new games so im not going to have time to play this at the moment anyway, if someone wants the key sam just game me then PM me.

DevilDude
November 17 2011, 03:57:36 AM
If anyone's got a key still I'd love one, haven't played since the hayday of tribes 2 but can't justify paying that much cash for a F2P sight unseen...

Lana Torrin
November 17 2011, 04:29:58 AM
If anyone's got a key still I'd love one, haven't played since the hayday of tribes 2 but can't justify paying that much cash for a F2P sight unseen...

I believe I have forwarded mine but between tapa a vb fuck knows.

Rosur2
November 17 2011, 07:43:24 AM

Would love a key a too.

MicrosoftSam
November 17 2011, 08:37:40 AM

Would love a key a too.
I will ask a friend that also pre-ordered for a key. Unfortunately he's on gmt-08 so I don't expect to have a reply until later on, this evening.

aycee
November 17 2011, 02:38:06 PM
oh god... why can't I ski up hills?

Cerzi
November 17 2011, 03:22:43 PM
Ahh, so after maybe feeling a bit disappointed about the physics (well, the jetpack) playing as the default soldier class, I unlocked the pathfinder and all is well. Skiing around at 200+ km/h feels good man. I kind of wish mediums felt like lights and lights were even faster, but to be honest I'm very happy with how skiing feels at the moment.

Also, mid-air melee kills are baws.

Intigo
November 17 2011, 03:59:49 PM
Do want key. :3 Even started playing Tribes 2 Classic on GoonHaven a few weeks ago.

Gorion Wassenar
November 17 2011, 04:47:53 PM
I too would love a key. Tribes 1 vet here.

Tordin Varglund
November 17 2011, 07:28:27 PM
any way to make shadows appear at longer range? i continue to shoot at people like you would in quake etc, just to find my shots missing by.. 50meters :(

stoat
November 18 2011, 02:58:24 AM
If you want a key just sign up for the open beta, I signed up, got impatient and bought the vip package... then got my free key a day later.

Gix Tyrionn
November 18 2011, 03:55:45 AM
BTW people who bought there way in get two free keys to give away.

Intigo
November 18 2011, 05:17:21 PM
If you want a key just sign up for the open beta, I signed up, got impatient and bought the vip package... then got my free key a day later.

Have been signed up for ages, no such luck~

Winged Nazgul
November 18 2011, 05:22:31 PM
I suck but the game is fun. Will probably be throwing some money at Hi-Rez just because TB is right. This game is pretty important if we don't want to see ourselves drowning in slow-ass military shooters the rest of our lives.

Stormscion
November 18 2011, 06:28:35 PM
console crap will prevail ... we will have to go underground , better save some money ^^

Rosur2
November 18 2011, 07:22:08 PM

Have been signed up for ages, no such luck~

me 2 :( and the fact having brought global agenda would thought getting into the beta would be easier. maybe next wave.

edit: found a beta key here http://www.gamesradar.com/keygiveaways/tribes/

Cerzi
November 18 2011, 08:58:39 PM
Lots of very good players in beta, but am starting to get mah tribes skills back. Pathfinder all the way still, although I'm focusing on LD/chasing rather than capping, because I seem to get shut down pretty hardcore by the damn hitscan weapons even if I make a clean grab at 200kph.

Joshua Foiritain
November 18 2011, 10:52:52 PM
FFFFUUUUUUUUU

Get beta key, run installer, get error "Failed to start the Hi-Rez Studios Authenticate and Update Service". No useful google result... FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Winged Nazgul
November 18 2011, 11:05:04 PM
Try the usual - firewall exception/run as administrator maybe?

Mavolio
November 18 2011, 11:10:43 PM
FFFFUUUUUUUUU

Get beta key, run installer, get error "Failed to start the Hi-Rez Studios Authenticate and Update Service". No useful google result... FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/250/~/service-needs-restarting

If its not firewall/admin, then try that link you may need to manual start the service.

DevilDude
November 19 2011, 01:37:59 AM
also if you're routing via a proxy I'm finding more and more of these 'updaters' are blocking them...

Cerzi
November 19 2011, 02:02:24 AM
Can't stop playing...

Getting surprisingly good results with the technician now too, despite my initial impressions making me think theyre gimp. Once you get the upgrade to place a 2nd turret they really start to shine, especially with careful placement. I'm finding the most success putting them well outside the actual flag area, one on either side of the flag in the line of the most common flag run. Generally cappers have a favourite route so if you can get plenty of turret hits off on their run-up to the flag, the second turret placed in the immediate escape path almost always finishes him. Yeah, they die often but thats what the remote inventory station is for: i focus most of my time on replacing turrets and moving them to match the most popular flag run. The SMG is surprisingly powerful too. Only annoyance is the class is basically shut down if the enemy makes a big effort to keep the generater down, and your team doesnt help you defend/repair it at all.

Not sure what to unlock next, I guess I should get a heavy but the only one that really appeals is the mortar heavy, and it seems mortars are pretty gimpy compared to t2. Also, is there actually laser targetting in (where one person targets something with it and mortor users are shown what trajectory to aim at in order to hit it)? On the home screen in-game L is bound to "laser targetter", but it doesnt do anything. Hoping it'll get added as it added some nice teamplay depth.

Might have to unlock raider too, as they look pretty imba.

DevilDude
November 19 2011, 05:58:44 AM
Can't stop playing...

Getting surprisingly good results with the technician now too, despite my initial impressions making me think theyre gimp. Once you get the upgrade to place a 2nd turret they really start to shine, especially with careful placement. I'm finding the most success putting them well outside the actual flag area, one on either side of the flag in the line of the most common flag run. Generally cappers have a favourite route so if you can get plenty of turret hits off on their run-up to the flag, the second turret placed in the immediate escape path almost always finishes him. Yeah, they die often but thats what the remote inventory station is for: i focus most of my time on replacing turrets and moving them to match the most popular flag run. The SMG is surprisingly powerful too. Only annoyance is the class is basically shut down if the enemy makes a big effort to keep the generater down, and your team doesnt help you defend/repair it at all.

Not sure what to unlock next, I guess I should get a heavy but the only one that really appeals is the mortar heavy, and it seems mortars are pretty gimpy compared to t2. Also, is there actually laser targetting in (where one person targets something with it and mortor users are shown what trajectory to aim at in order to hit it)? On the home screen in-game L is bound to "laser targetter", but it doesnt do anything. Hoping it'll get added as it added some nice teamplay depth.

Might have to unlock raider too, as they look pretty imba.

I dunno, the few times a mortar actually hit me so far I died horribly... seems my skiing reflexes have been lying dormant but my fucking manual aiming is now atrocious.

Cerzi
November 19 2011, 12:22:38 PM
Because I'm outrunning pathfinders as a soldier/ranger sometimes, this should be mandatory viewing for people new to tribes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Yeah, it's for tribes 2, but it goes to show how close T:A is to being a true tribes game when this stuff pretty much all applies.

Dahak
November 19 2011, 03:17:18 PM
But it can't possibly be a Tribes game. I know because all the T2 players won't stop bitching about it in chat.

DevilDude
November 19 2011, 06:01:42 PM
But it can't possibly be a Tribes game. I know because all the T2 players won't stop bitching about it in chat.

they're bitching because it isn't tribes 2, not because it isn't a tribes game. Mostly they don't seem to like the class system, I think because they can't pick their favorite OP combo like scout armor with a chaingun in this version.

IMO it's tribes, watch that vid to learn how to ski because I'm running rings around lights in a medium too and that's just wrong.

MicrosoftSam
November 19 2011, 07:54:12 PM
It seems guys who pre-ordered T:A get those 3 keys and then receive more when the first 3 are activated. I've now received 3 more. Sent one to Intigo to verify if they are actually legit.

If so (pending confirmation), I'll have 2 more to throw around.

Intigo
November 19 2011, 09:21:16 PM
It seems guys who pre-ordered T:A get those 3 keys and then receive more when the first 3 are activated. I've now received 3 more. Sent one to Intigo to verify if they are actually legit.

I just got one playing Darkfall earlier, so I can't test it, sorry :D

Tried the game, was pretty cool. People are so fucking bad though and I still dislike the skiing system compared to the previous games (floating along the ground as opposed to jumping along it feels so wrong).

Will reserve judgment until I play some more games, at least it's decent fun so far.

Dahak
November 19 2011, 09:35:15 PM

I bought the package but only after the beta started. Would I still have any keys? I'm not finding any on the website or launcher.

Derpy'eart
November 19 2011, 10:16:04 PM
the keys are near the "activate ingame item" you get from buying a 30 day booster. i had to use the booster to get the keys to show though.
the launcher is by far the worst part of hirez games. they need to get rid of that thing, along with it's pointless startup processes.

Dark 0men
November 19 2011, 10:16:28 PM
Will reserve judgment until I play some more games, at least it's decent fun so far.

Don't forget to get mad about air control. Why do all these cunt developers insist on making Unreal with jetpacks?

Dahak
November 19 2011, 10:58:32 PM
BRB scheduling eye appointment.

http://i.imgur.com/8LQUc.jpg

:derp:

Gorion Wassenar
November 20 2011, 03:47:42 AM
I don't think I'll ever forget how to ski. Its just a bit different in each game :)

Intigo
November 20 2011, 10:48:24 AM
I don't think I'll ever forget how to ski. Its just a bit different in each game :)

A bit worse in every game since T1.

Cerzi
November 20 2011, 12:14:43 PM
T:A skiing is way better than T:V skiing.

Dahak
November 20 2011, 10:30:46 PM

Did you ever find out if that was true? I have friends ready to fight over my last one.

Edit: Surprisingly I've found my favorite class thus far to be the Raider. The grenade launcher is surprisingly good, even outside, and the SMG is quite strong even if it isn't hitscan. The shield is good for "oh shit" situations too (like when I bounce a grenade off a wall onto my own feet). Medium armor so it's got a good mix of health and mobility too.

Dahak
November 22 2011, 07:29:36 AM
Annnd saw my first speed hacker already. Wasn't that fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnyXHgsUGc&fmt=22

Lana Torrin
November 22 2011, 07:30:57 AM

???

shoki
November 22 2011, 10:16:15 AM
i'm sorry, is that the game where primary weapon is an explosive frisbee launcher?
that gun is beyond retarded, tried the game and gave up after few days, uninstalling it with disgust.
nigga give me proper guns, with variable damage/scatter/range, not that shit

Intigo
November 22 2011, 10:44:55 AM
i'm sorry, is that the game where primary weapon is explosive frisbee launcher?
that gun is beyond retarded, tried the game and gave up after few days, uninstalling it with disgust.

wow, you are one stupid faggot

please get the fuck out

Cerzi
November 22 2011, 10:53:12 AM

please get the fuck out

Shade Millith
November 22 2011, 11:17:11 AM

please get the fuck out

shoki
November 22 2011, 12:01:13 PM
the game is stupid. weapons are stupid, physical model is shit, it's unbalanced and ugly
noone likes it, i've talked to many people. explosive freesbie, jesus fuck welcome to 90ies

Cerzi
November 22 2011, 12:12:31 PM
xD

Tordin Varglund
November 22 2011, 12:14:35 PM
the game is stupid. weapons are stupid, physical model is shit, it's unbalanced and ugly
noone likes it, i've talked to many people. explosive freesbie, jesus fuck welcome to 90ies

please get the fuck out

shoki
November 22 2011, 12:19:15 PM
wow you seam to really suck at FPSs, don't you? super mario kart is in that direction -------->

how can anyone love this game are you all mad?

Cerzi
November 22 2011, 12:37:25 PM
wait this guy is serious?

Tordin Varglund
November 22 2011, 12:44:55 PM
wow you seam to really suck at FPSs, don't you? super mario kart is in that direction -------->

how can anyone love this game are you all mad?

http://whiskeywolf.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/haha_oh_wow.jpg?w=560&h=432

BF3 is that way, faggot

Stormscion
November 22 2011, 12:51:41 PM
u see what halo bf and mw crap turn people int :)

shoki
November 22 2011, 12:59:32 PM
ok, convince me
how can this game possibly be better than MW2?
classes? you have classes in MW2 that are actual classes, not just amount of armor and number of weapons. (also, armors are fail, light is paper thin, heavy can't move)
weapons? oh god don't let me start. won't comment frisbee. fail chaingun what scatters like stupid and takes forever to 'spin up'? laser sniper that you can't use to actually snipe and properly camp? WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT? or that plasma shit that fires prijectiles that you can actually outrun?
vehicles? ok, MW2 doesn't have them, but BF does. vehicles here suck, either it's small zippy and utterly uncontrollable or lumbering log with some guns. fuck that, i'll play WoT if i want vehicles.
finally, game is fucking OLD. AND IT LOOKS OLD THUS LOOKING LIKE SHIT. looking like that can't be good, my eyes would bleed and pop out
gtfo with that antediluvian shit, give me proper fps where one needs skill, speed and refelxes, not this...

if i want to feel old i'll get my nintendo from the basement and play some Contra. that game is atleast fun.

FatFreddy
November 22 2011, 01:05:59 PM
lols

GAEM SO HARD
I JUST RAEG ON FORUMS

Tordin Varglund
November 22 2011, 01:10:43 PM
MW2
MW2
MW2
BF
WoT
Contra

give me proper fps where one needs skill, speed and refelxes

l
o
l

Cerzi
November 22 2011, 01:15:07 PM
guy's parents didn't let him play quake as a kid, now look at him.

shoki
November 22 2011, 01:18:56 PM
that's your reply?

it totally shows you like this game.

also, yes, my parents loved me and didn't let me play violent games untill i was old enough to understand it.
i also believe children are better off playing outside and going to church than playing games where killing is an achievement.

but we're going offtopic. you still can't say tribes isn't shit game that only got small group of hyped fanboys behind itself. it has neither quality, nor playerbase quantity.

Winged Nazgul
November 22 2011, 01:21:59 PM
u see what halo bf and mw crap turn people int :)

Yup, but the guy is obviously trolling.

Nobody can be that stupid to post something like that to a Tribes thread.

shoki
November 22 2011, 01:37:18 PM
no, just can not fathom the game. it's like arguing how :awesome: Doom is. it was back in the days, but let's face it, by today standards it's shit and you're all beating the dead horse here

Winged Nazgul
November 22 2011, 01:41:24 PM
no, just can not fathom the game. it's like arguing how :awesome: Doom is. it was back in the days, but let's face it, by today standards it's shit and you're all beating the dead horse here

It's today's standards that are shit, m8.

shoki
November 22 2011, 01:50:04 PM
that doesn't make the game good

Winged Nazgul
November 22 2011, 01:58:17 PM
that doesn't make the game good

Right. If you don't like Tribes gameplay, WTF are you doing in this thread...aside from the obvious?

Tools
November 22 2011, 02:01:21 PM
I was on board with getting mad until he implied that MW2 needed skill, speed and reflexes.

Should have said like 1.6 or something instead.

Tordin Varglund
November 22 2011, 02:13:53 PM
that's your reply?

it totally shows you like this game.

also, yes, my parents loved me and didn't let me play violent games untill i was old enough to understand it.
i also believe children are better off playing outside and going to church than playing games where killing is an achievement.

but we're going offtopic. you still can't say tribes isn't shit game that only got small group of hyped fanboys behind itself. it has neither quality, nor playerbase quantity.

You start of by calling me bad at FPS, then ask for a game that requires "skill, speed and reflexes", then start start to boast about MW2.

The fuck do you expect?

If you want to go down the "omg ur bad and this requires no skill", then OK we can do that.

Your first claim; im bad at FPS.
nop, sorry. If you want specifics, then i played for the best 8v8 team in the country back in BF2, i play for the best 5v5 team in the country in BF3(even though i dont like it much), i was the 2nd best warsow player in the country aswell for a year, and even though the entire MW series is full of shit, ill guarantee that im better than you at that aswell.

Really, the only FPS im not too good at is this, since i have no previous tribes experience.

Then you manage to throw around some shit about how MW2 is better than this and requires actual skill and reflexes, despite the fact that you can travel at over 200kp/h in this game, somehow believe that MW2 is also a fast game.
LOL!

MW2 doesnt actually have "actual classes" either. Doesnt matter what you do, the only things you can change is your weapons and your lolperks and lolkillsteaks.

Seriously. Fuck. Right. Off.

Dahak
November 22 2011, 02:40:35 PM

???

See video.

shoki
November 22 2011, 02:43:46 PM
y u so mad bro? i only say the truth
i can give you 10, games from the top of my head that have better multiplayer than this thing, are better made, more balanced and just plain more fun.

i mean, it's cool to be a fanboy, i also love '2nd Chapter of Acts' .Well, they atleast know how to play and sing, and spread some good vibes all around.

While this game is frustration online with it's outdated game modes and noskill-hopeforthebest gameplay. game just does not work, and that's that

Hatepeace Lovewar
November 22 2011, 02:49:06 PM
guy's parents didn't let him play quake as a kid, now look at him.

haha, i'm stealing that one.

Intigo
November 22 2011, 02:50:39 PM
too much attention to a tryhard troll :[

shoki
November 22 2011, 02:53:47 PM
2 pages. not bad

Cerzi
November 22 2011, 02:53:53 PM
lol why are people wasting time showing the troll their CV, the guy sees MW2/BF2 as being milestones of FPS gameplay. not really much more to say.

DevilDude
November 22 2011, 05:08:16 PM
2 pages. not bad

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy92/SpankyMcFlych/troll.png

Lana Torrin
November 23 2011, 07:52:09 AM
Awwww... I wanted your key.. (Probably so I can give it away again and still not play)

Cerzi
November 23 2011, 09:30:43 AM
A new line has been snuck into tribes.ini with the latest patch: m_bTinyWeaponsEnabled=false
Does what you'd expect, and is very awesome to have (finally). It's not officially supported yet because some weapon models are buggy with it enabled, but will be an in-game option soon.

http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=47699&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Gorion Wassenar
November 23 2011, 06:08:18 PM
Lol poor troll cannot into 3d combat.

strifal
November 23 2011, 07:19:54 PM
I would love a key if anyone gets a spare. Signed up for the beta ages ago but I never get invites :sadface: Also, is there an equivalent to the shocklance? That thing was my favoritest weapon in any game ever. SCIFI CATTLE PROD OF DOOM, etc.

MicrosoftSam
November 23 2011, 09:31:00 PM

Did you ever find out if that was true? I have friends ready to fight over my last one.

Haven't checked if their valid, but I'm gonna assume they are. I still have the 2nd set of 3 keys around. Just waiting on requests tbh.

It seems, when you pre-order you get 3 keys. After said keys are activated by people, you get a new set of keys. At least that's how it's been going for the past weeks.

Edit:

I would love a key if anyone gets a spare. Signed up for the beta ages ago but I never get invites :sadface: Also, is there an equivalent to the shocklance? That thing was my favoritest weapon in any game ever. SCIFI CATTLE PROD OF DOOM, etc.
Sent you a pro key of impending doom.

hf.

If you'd provide this fellow Tribes veteran a key I'd be much appreciative.

Ditto.

Gorion Wassenar
November 23 2011, 10:14:47 PM
If you'd provide this fellow Tribes veteran a key I'd be much appreciative.

DevilDude
November 23 2011, 10:57:19 PM
so it seems my reflexes decided to suddenly come back from wherever it was they'd gone, I spent last night skiing around disking people mid air and went on several sprees.

Armag3ddon
November 23 2011, 11:20:30 PM
I too would like a key, I miss the days of games like tribes,UT and quake

strifal
November 24 2011, 12:04:02 AM
Sent you a pro key of impending doom.

hf.

I love you. In a totally gay way.

MicrosoftSam
November 24 2011, 01:37:50 AM
I too would like a key, I miss the days of games like tribes,UT and quake

Sent

I love you. In a totally gay way.

IIRC we used to play WoT when it was still fun, so I already knew (intimately) your gayness before sending.

Also pending Gorion Wassenar's key activation, I'm out of keys until he actually activates it or HiRez rehashes my keys. Whatever comes first.

Dahak
November 24 2011, 03:28:29 AM
All three of mine have been activated, now my button in the launcher has disappeared. I do hope more show up.

Edit: I started a "little things" (http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=47724&st=0&sk=t&sd=a) thread on the official forums, if you're registered and want to share any small, nagging issues you've found with the game that would be most helpful. I got annoyed with the HP display on the repair guns being washed out in sunlight but didn't think it deserved its own thread.

Tools
November 24 2011, 03:44:18 AM
A new line has been snuck into tribes.ini with the latest patch: m_bTinyWeaponsEnabled=false
Does what you'd expect, and is very awesome to have (finally). It's not officially supported yet because some weapon models are buggy with it enabled, but will be an in-game option soon.

http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=47699&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Why even have weapon models?

strifal
November 24 2011, 06:15:40 AM
Are they seriously selling boosts and shit during closed beta? So far the whole class and unlocks and xp and tokens and a;dkfja;lsdkf... I hate it. Maybe if I play more I might enjoy it, but it's all a bunch of meh so far. Also gogo WoT 150 games to unlock a class that I actually want to play. Unless I'm doing it wrong. Please tell me I'm doing it wrong.

DevilDude
November 24 2011, 06:25:54 AM
Are they seriously selling boosts and shit during closed beta? So far the whole class and unlocks and xp and tokens and a;dkfja;lsdkf... I hate it. Maybe if I play more I might enjoy it, but it's all a bunch of meh so far. Also gogo WoT 150 games to unlock a class that I actually want to play. Unless I'm doing it wrong. Please tell me I'm doing it wrong.

eh, I've been having tons of fun just as a soldier, will probably start fucking around with a ranger too but no spinfuzor feels wrong. Though I think heavies may be a little too tough, Jugg's are goddamn near impossible to solo as a soldier.

strifal
November 24 2011, 06:44:21 AM
Eh, it's still pretty fun I guess. I'm one of those fags that wants it to be tribes 2 + pretty graphics, though. Although on low graphics it doesn't look all that much better than tribes 2 :P

Polysynchronicity
November 24 2011, 07:46:36 AM
my brother won a beta key for this somehow

i played it some, it was kinda cool but the average player is completely derp

"OH HEY OUR GENERATOR IS DOWN, BETTER GO SUICIDE ON THE ENEMY TURRETS"

bonus points go to people that actually try to repair the generator, but don't look for enemies first and so get killed repeatedly by the guy camping in the generator room

all that said the thumper is complete rape indoors :3 but the hitscan weapons all suck and I'm terrible at hitting with the projectile ones :(

DevilDude
November 24 2011, 08:58:01 AM
my brother won a beta key for this somehow

i played it some, it was kinda cool but the average player is completely derp

"OH HEY OUR GENERATOR IS DOWN, BETTER GO SUICIDE ON THE ENEMY TURRETS"

bonus points go to people that actually try to repair the generator, but don't look for enemies first and so get killed repeatedly by the guy camping in the generator room

all that said the thumper is complete rape indoors :3 but the hitscan weapons all suck and I'm terrible at hitting with the projectile ones :(
early on it's best to aim at the ground where someone is going to land, that's the surest way to do damage, and even at a fairly practiced level of skill still where you're going to get most of your kills.

Dark 0men
November 24 2011, 09:56:29 AM
So apparently T:A doesn't have friendly fire :lol: :lol: :lol: casual'd

Winged Nazgul
November 24 2011, 12:31:52 PM

All your progress in closed beta will carry over to release. So you could always buy gold to unlock a class you want quicker.

Cerzi
November 24 2011, 01:35:50 PM
If you like the game it's $30 for a load of gold, a 30-day booster and permanent VIP status (+50% tokens/xp, and stacks with any boosters which is nice). Lets you unlock over half the classes right off the bat, and if you unlock classes you actually enjoy playing, by the time you want to unlock your 6th or 7th class you'll easily have 15k tokens: a good game will net you 300 tokens with VIP and booster enabled. That's 50 games with 6 classes to choose from. Now the Pathfinder and Juggernaut are half price, it's even easier.

If you're like me you'll unlock the class you actually want to play (was pathfinder for me), then play the shit out of it before spending any more gold. I unlocked the pathfinder, then technician, then Juggernaut. I don't play tech much but I've pretty much maxed out my Juggernaut and Pathfinder and still have 2k gold, as well as enough tokens to buy another class (so with gold + tokens I can unlock another 5 classes, which covers all the ones I have any interest in).

So unless you want to play all classes equal amounts all the time, grabbing the pre-order is essentially like buying a game with a small number of reasonable unlocks.

strifal
November 24 2011, 01:48:11 PM
Oh crap, I remember reading something about progress carrying over now. Makes a lot more sense now. I played a bunch more last night and it's not really bad at all. Just different.

Dahak
November 24 2011, 04:40:01 PM
I do wish there was an ignore feature ingame. Sick of people bitching about how it's not a real Tribes game. I don't care if it's a sequel to Iodine McDickslap 4, it's enjoyable, please leave decade-old expectations at the door.

MicrosoftSam
November 24 2011, 08:42:24 PM
eh, I've been having tons of fun just as a soldier, will probably start fucking around with a ranger too but no spinfuzor feels wrong. Though I think heavies may be a little too tough, Jugg's are goddamn near impossible to solo as a soldier.

Shouldn't be saying this as I like to play jugg, but Soldier spinfusor's outdamages jug's. Soldier 3 shots the jugg, jugg 3 shots the soldier. Just stay in the air, the jug is unable to maintain air time as you are and tbh is quite shit. Just disc toss the guy around, you'll hve no issues.

Even if you trade blows you come out ahead as long as you land the first hit. :) Also if you stay at range, avoid the mortar and just wittle him down with the pistol. It's hitscan and piss-easy to score kills with.

Dahak
November 25 2011, 08:32:18 PM
Just finished a match to find I had 7499 tokens. So very close.

strifal
November 26 2011, 06:39:40 AM
While I still don't like all the unlocks shit, this game is fucking fun as hell and I'll be buying EVERYTHING the second I have the spare cash to do so.

Dahak
November 26 2011, 11:36:10 PM
While I still don't like all the unlocks shit, this game is fucking fun as hell and I'll be buying EVERYTHING the second I have the spare cash to do so.

The VIP preorder package is a great value, you can unlock 5-6 classes right off the bat, the 50% xp/token bonus is great, and I haven't even activated the 30 day 2x bonus yet.

Gorion Wassenar
November 28 2011, 07:54:15 PM
I am concerned by the limit or classes you start with. I am concerned because there will be games where roles such as heavy defense or attack lights will be unavailable to an extent that it will hurt team balance leading to people not wanting to play at all. Even if its F2P you still need to have all the basic roles covered before you add unlockable classes.

DevilDude
November 28 2011, 09:43:51 PM
true, it'd be best if they had one of each weight class available they might do it on a rotating basis like LoL

Cerzi
November 28 2011, 10:00:07 PM
To be honest the soldier/ranger are well rounded enough that they can perform any of the main roles (capping, offense, defense, chasing), so that isn't really a big problem. Yeah, it'd be nice if there was 1 of each weight available immediately, but theyve already half-tackled this by making the pathfinder and juggernaut half price (which are the canonical light/heavy classes respectively).

Gorion Wassenar
November 28 2011, 10:10:22 PM
I disagree, the difference of a Jugg loose in your base is much worse then a med no matter the type. There has to be a start option for each class. I'm also excluding the mention of the massive advantage that one team may have if they are the only one with engineers.

Dahak
November 28 2011, 10:54:09 PM
There's been talk of everyone starting with Soldier and one class of their choosing, or one of each class.

Cerzi
November 28 2011, 11:11:38 PM
I disagree, the difference of a Jugg loose in your base is much worse then a med no matter the type. There has to be a start option for each class. I'm also excluding the mention of the massive advantage that one team may have if they are the only one with engineers.

Have you played much as a Jug? They really arnt that deadly indoors unless you're trapped in a really tight space. I regularly top the scoreboards as Jugg but indoors if there's 2 good mediums on me it'll be a tough fight to win. A raider with an SMG can often happily dodge mortar fire, and have you ever been on the receiving end of a raider's SMG at close range as a heavy? Not to mention gren launcher spam. Mortar is easy to dodge as med/light, and Jugg's spinfusors do less damage than Soldier's. You're a sitting duck on a very tight time limit to get off some very good shots or you die, because you arnt mobile enough to mitigate damage.

As for engineers, they're overrated at higher skill levels. Really theyre almost a waste of a slot - baserape is so easy and completely nullifies their turrets. Failing that tactical striking the flag is more than enough to clear the newbie turret spam (new techs always place all their turrets within 1 tactical strike's radius of the flag). Yeah, if there's 3 technicians with 6 properly well placed turrets (a rare thing), some coordination is required to break the defense, but personally I think 3 skilled ranged are a better use of slots - 1 to sit on the flag (so easy to kill a capper's speed with the thumper), and the other 2 to chase (the slowed capper) - hitscan AR is so insanely good at taking down flag cappers. Technicians can't flag chase at all, only have a single crappy weapon, and will spend most of their time rebuilding/repairing or overcommiting to generator defense while their flag is capped continuously. In their current state, they really do not offer their team a "massive advantage".

Gorion Wassenar
November 29 2011, 12:36:39 AM
My brother an I were dubbed the "Bob Vela's of Death" in the leagues we played in. Good turret placement can be stupidly effective.

Samp
December 1 2011, 10:50:11 PM
In life I have been cursed with a diseased penis, desires for little fat chicks too good for me and just enought intelegence to realise how stupid I and those around me are. But at last, somehting is breaking my way - I'm in the beta! Yay me.

I can't play yet and I don't know why, but then it's shopping day so I've drunk two bottles of wine. I just need to sleep for 18 hours and I'm sure it will be fine. Also I have anchovies. They are a bit boney though.

Dahak
December 2 2011, 05:24:14 PM
Anyone else unable to log in? Patching was yesterday, I'm wondering if they broke something.

DevilDude
December 2 2011, 06:58:26 PM
I was playing last night fine, haven't tried today.

Intigo
December 4 2011, 09:04:30 AM
http://nasl.tv/News/Article/2011-12-04-tribes-ascend-to-make-esports-debut-in-nasl-season-three

lmfao

NASL is so bad and this is really not suited for e-sports at ALL

derpy derping, but will be funny regardless

Stormscion
December 4 2011, 09:41:45 AM
293 meters kill with spinfuser :)

Vortex
December 4 2011, 10:22:31 AM
http://nasl.tv/News/Article/2011-12-04-tribes-ascend-to-make-esports-debut-in-nasl-season-three

lmfao

NASL is so bad and this is really not suited for e-sports at ALL

derpy derping, but will be funny regardless

FPS games need to really re-evaluate how they work and display information if they want to make it into "esports" in a big way like RTS/DOTA-clones. Those games can at least display the exact same information the players have, while watching from first person perspective is disorienting and limited to only one view, and 3rd person can't show the entire map (usually) and misses a lot of nuance. I know there was shoutcasting in the T2 days and stuff, but I don't see it ever taking off the ground in a meaningful way.

Cerzi
December 4 2011, 01:14:12 PM
There needs to be an abstract map in obs mode that shows the position of all players etc that is can be click-moved on like the minimap in sc2. CTF-style games are more accessible as a viewer e-sport because so much of the action focuses around the two flags, and there isn't a lot going on elsewhere besides setting up for flag caps (plus generator room). Would need multiple casters with their own viewport and easy switching between them in order to capture all the action effectively though.

DevilDude
December 6 2011, 04:42:27 AM
making a light flag runner eat anti-personnel grenade midair feels amazing

also I'm in love with the beowulf now.

edit: here's an hour and a half of their E-sports/marketing guy talking about game development, plans, f2p, and why they've made the decisions they have.

http://www.kbmod.com/2011/11/30/kbmod-podcast-episode-20-featuring-bart-koenigsberg-from-hi-rez-studios/

Stormscion
December 6 2011, 07:12:12 AM
lol the name of that site :) <3

i am really hooked on this game btw

Chrien
December 6 2011, 09:19:54 AM
Someone give me a key please :)

Cerzi
December 6 2011, 12:31:40 PM
Sent you one.

Honestly though people should just pre-order this and get the gold, booster and VIP status which lets you pretty much play with all the classes.

Kazang
December 6 2011, 12:48:15 PM
Sent you one.

Honestly though people should just pre-order this and get the gold, booster and VIP status which lets you pretty much play with all the classes.

Meh, it's a bit lacking in actual content to worth the money atm.

I mean it only has 4 maps. For UE3 game that is a total joke. Maps are retardly easy to make in UE3 and yet they only have 4, 1 of which is basically just a open field with a few hills in it. The game is fun but it badly needs more content if them want me to spend money on the game.

Cerzi
December 6 2011, 02:22:11 PM
Meh, I've clocked over 100 hours and am still playing. Content isn't everything, yknow. I mean, maybe it is these days, but with really good gameplay content becomes less important. I mean I spent fucking thousands of hours on RA3Map1's thunderstruck arena, or de_dust, or whatever.

Yeah I'm not saying more maps wouldn't be nice, but if you appreciate the Tribes gameplay then it's not a concern.

Cirkumflex
December 6 2011, 03:58:29 PM
The amount of tokens gained per game without VIP and boosters seems a tad ridiculous to be honest.
30-40 a round? lololol

So am I forced to buy the game or will i actually unlock anything within a couple of weeks playing a few hours a day?

Stormscion
December 6 2011, 06:14:11 PM
Main problem with this game
Hit scan

primary weapons should not be hitscan , pistols i have no problem with since they are... not too powerful but snipers assault rifle and that damn technician smg that rapes soldier in 3 seconds ( i am not joking skilled technician kills you in 3 seconds mid air ). Assault rifle should be similar to the chain gun with travel bullet time and sniper rifle should be kind of rail gun and just give shotgun to the tehnician or something liek that , flak cannon from UT would be cool , more skill shots less hit scan it really feels like it dont belong here.

Cerzi
December 6 2011, 08:14:10 PM
indeed, main complaint along with lack of projectile speed inheritance...

ScaryTrollScaringYou
December 6 2011, 08:35:25 PM
Sent you one.

Meh, it's a bit lacking in actual content to worth the money atm.

I mean it only has 4 maps. For UE3 game that is a total joke. Maps are retardly easy to make in UE3 and yet they only have 4, 1 of which is basically just a open field with a few hills in it. The game is fun but it badly needs more content if them want me to spend money on the game.
I assumed this was because the game was in beta.

Stormscion
December 6 2011, 08:44:39 PM
indeed, main complaint along with lack of projectile speed inheritance...

you mean like i go very fast and i shoot spinfusor and i go faster then it instead of it going my speed + its own ? Yea that is annoying as well :)

DevilDude
December 6 2011, 08:47:58 PM
I agree on the SMG's and the sniper, but the assault rifle and shotgun really aren't that great unless you're very good with them. The shotgun requires you to be close which means you'll get raped on the ground, the assault rifle will get you raped indoors, it's only really effective at mid range, it can't hit long and close you just get disced/naded to death. Any explosive weapon is way more powerful and intuitive than the hitscan stuff at the moment, the reason you're getting killed is the people using them have put alot of practice into knowing exactly what range and speed to take you at.

Stormscion
December 6 2011, 09:24:10 PM
I dont say they are powerful or weak i just feel they are out of place
most weapons in game atm are projectile skill shots or interesting stuff like nova pistol etc , they should just replace them with something more interesting instead of press button and hold it down on the target hitscan , its boring if nothing else ...
and i am not tribes veteran so dont have to be bitter about anything :)

DevilDude
December 6 2011, 09:46:01 PM
I see what you're saying, honestly I played a good bit of tribes 2 back in the day, but I try to stay away from the tribes zealots. IMO I like the variety the hitscan weapons bring, however they could just as easily be very fast projectiles for all I care, I really don't see the point though, it wouldn't be much different functionally it'd just add load to the servers.

Cerzi
December 6 2011, 09:49:21 PM
The problem with the AR is it lets substasndard skiiers be fairly effective at flag chasing. You don't need amazing aim to land mid-range hits on a flag chaser moving at 200kph through the air because they arnt going to change direction much, which means you can whittle down their health pretty easy even if they're going faster than you. There isn't much cover for the capper to use because it's a Tribes game, which means the capper has to mainly rely on the aim of the chaser rather than his own skill.

Kazang
December 7 2011, 01:39:05 AM
An fps relying on aim what devilry is this?

Shade Millith
December 7 2011, 01:47:33 AM

Non-hitscan weapons just rely on more aiming.

Cerzi
December 7 2011, 01:58:15 AM
It's not about one requiring more inherent skill than the other, it's about the maps/gameplay theyre designed into. Hitscan weapons are fine in your typical FPS because there's plenty of cover, corridors etc, and places to hide, and so a skilled player won't overexpose themself. In tribes the maps are open with minimal cover, and there isn't a lot a skilled player can do to defend against hitscan weapons. For that same reason, something like the grenade launcher or mortar are valid in Tribes but would be annoying in a typical FPS (see: gren spam in TFC).

Chrien
December 7 2011, 03:38:42 AM
Sent you one.

Thanks for the key. Trying it first does seem prudent, especially as I was pretty terrible at Tribes 2 and didn't enjoy it that much, but I think I will end up pre-ordering it if its halfway decent.

DevilDude
December 7 2011, 05:22:04 AM
if anyone's still looking for a key I have an extra, and I may get more as I'm pretty sold after a week or two in game even with my meagre playtime.

incidentally has anyone figured out how to screenshot?

MicrosoftSam
December 7 2011, 06:12:00 AM

Hitscan weapons rely on tracking someone. Doesn't necessarily translate into "aim" imo. And it's pathetically easier to get kills with the AR/raider's smg (projectile but 120dmg per bullet or something like it - ~1243 dps).

Also, comparing dps, you'll notice typically hitscan/fast projectiles (so far only the raider's smg) have a stupidly high dps when compared to the disc's typical 500~600 dps.

DevilDude
December 7 2011, 07:23:07 AM

Hitscan weapons rely on tracking someone. Doesn't necessarily translate into "aim" imo. And it's pathetically easier to get kills with the AR/raider's smg (projectile but 120dmg per bullet or something like it - ~1243 dps).

Also, comparing dps, you'll notice typically hitscan/fast projectiles (so far only the raider's smg) have a stupidly high dps when compared to the disc's typical 500~600 dps.
from what I've heard the raider smg is actually projectile, part of the reason it's so much more powerful than the other assault weapons is that if you aim it right it'll actually hit more.

Dark 0men
December 7 2011, 08:32:28 AM
Hitscan weapons rely on tracking someone.

Hitscan weapons rely on having autoaim. I don't know what HiRez is thinking, but they do not have the resources to prevent people from shitting all over their game.

DevilDude
December 7 2011, 09:10:02 AM
Hitscan weapons rely on tracking someone.

Hitscan weapons rely on having autoaim. I don't know what HiRez is thinking, but they do not have the resources to prevent people from shitting all over their game.
this is probably the only decent argument against hitscan I've seen so far.

Chrien
December 7 2011, 10:45:16 AM
Played about 90minutes with a friend, enjoyed it alot, using the disc launcher brought back memories of playing soldier in my TFC days... but I'm terrible at skying, just like I was always a terrible bhoper :(

Intigo
December 7 2011, 12:32:56 PM
skiing*