PDA

View Full Version : What the fuck am i doing!

Lana Torrin
June 27 2011, 03:12:21 AM
So I got the trial.. Download the game (twice) have it crash once on load and now its working.

I log in, do the 'how to shoot shit' tutorial and welp.. Where do I go from here?

I realize im in a noob bot and stuff, but I thought this was supposed to be kinda like eve...

Am I supposed to be training skills? How do I do this?

Can I do missions? Where do I get them from?

Does it have 'highsec' and 'lowsec'..

I'm so freekin lost in this game..

Kalnov
June 27 2011, 03:27:26 AM
Dock up -> do the noob missions 10x and you get a rifter equivalent.

Then you do mishins or whatever you want to do. I've been grindan mobs for plasma to sell to npcs.

EP is same thing as free SP in eve, so you just accumulate it 1 per minute and spend it whenever you want while docked up.

Cost is based on attributes or something.

Lana Torrin
June 27 2011, 03:40:01 AM
Dock up -> do the noob missions 10x and you get a rifter equivalent.

Then you do mishins or whatever you want to do. I've been grindan mobs for plasma to sell to npcs.

EP is same thing as free SP in eve, so you just accumulate it 1 per minute and spend it whenever you want while docked up.

Cost is based on attributes or something.

How how and how?

Perhaps I should be on the NPE team because im fucking dumb as shit when it comes to learning things I don't already have some clue about..

Demoser
June 27 2011, 03:46:04 AM
While the tut missions dont cover everything, what the missions do cover, they cover well, just do the tut missions, read them well, and you should be able to grasp the basics.

Lana Torrin
June 27 2011, 03:55:06 AM
While the tut missions dont cover everything, what the missions do cover, they cover well, just do the tut missions, read them well, and you should be able to grasp the basics.

Perhaps you are not grasping how dumb I actually am.. I have somehow turned off the tutorial missions and cant work out how to turn them back on, and I have no idea what I should be docking in.. I got frustrated and logged, but its still installed and I'm still willing to give it another try.

I also stuck some RL money in to tanks so I could blow up a KV and feel better about myself.

Marlona Sky
June 27 2011, 05:31:26 AM
Join NEX corp. We will help!

There should be a corp button on the top left while docked and search for it and apply.

Lana Torrin
June 27 2011, 06:49:53 AM
:myheadisfulloffuck.jpg:

Synapse
June 27 2011, 08:01:27 AM
Does perp. have killmails?

Soarer
June 27 2011, 08:27:44 AM
Look for the icon on your map (upper right corner, open the thing called RADAR) and look for the point that is a dot surrounded by a circle (station) when you get close to it, in the top center will be a "dock" button. Click it. You can get missions in there.

You are also accumulating SP 1/min, but they just pile up, and you can spend them whenever you want.

Supposedly there are KMs but exporting them out isn't in yet but they are working on it.

The game is VERY similar to eve, you have missiles, hybrids, lasers, and projectiles. There are 3 races though, the race specific weapons are the first 3, projectiles can be used by anyone but no robots get bonuses to them. There are also neuts, webs, ECM, damps

It's a bit confusing at first but I just played for a couple of hours and getting the hang of it quite well. Most confusing part for me was figuring out targeting and primary target shit. Also, space bar fires all of your weapons.

Tyrus Tenebros
June 27 2011, 01:23:09 PM
:myheadisfulloffuck.jpg:
How did you ever learn how to play Eve.

Liare
June 27 2011, 01:44:23 PM
[quote="Lana Torrin":3lkby4hc]:myheadisfulloffuck.jpg:
How did you ever learn how to play Eve.[/quote:3lkby4hc]trial and error, and a fuckton of wrecks like the rest of us probably.

Lana Torrin
June 27 2011, 01:47:03 PM
[quote="Lana Torrin":199xiqkc]:myheadisfulloffuck.jpg:
How did you ever learn how to play Eve.[/quote:199xiqkc]

Once I worked out that EVERYTHING is turned off by default and I just needed to turn it on im doing much better.. I have this unique ability of not being able to get something at all for a very long period of time and then all of a sudden I become an expert.. Like I was helping people today by telling them how to make a target primary (not fucking right click like the tutorial tells you, that's the retarded way).. Literally 10 mins before that I couldn't stop my little robot from walking in to walls and getting stuck.

Also I locked Spanky but I was too scared to actually fire.

Lady Spank
June 27 2011, 03:38:52 PM
When are you going to become an eve-expert, you've been playing it long enough tbh.

also lol, being a noob is fun.

someone that buys plex in eve all the time shold hook me up with a monthly sub to perp. Scamming noobs in eve to feed another mmo game sounds like fun to me.

Rosur
June 27 2011, 03:40:57 PM
When are you going to become an eve-expert, you've been playing it long enough tbh.

also lol, being a noob is fun.

someone that buys plex in eve all the time shold hook me up with a monthly sub to perp. Scamming noobs in eve to feed another mmo game sounds like fun to me.

who plays eve any more :P

Lady Spank
June 27 2011, 05:02:08 PM
I don't need to log in to steal money.

Xennith
June 28 2011, 06:15:47 PM
Quite liking this, whats the closest thing to a falcon? Also, is there a local or area chat channel? All I see is help, general, etc.

Oh, and why is an npc considered a landmark?

Space Panda
June 28 2011, 07:04:10 PM
there is no local chat! :twisted:

Tailn
June 28 2011, 07:20:46 PM
Quite liking this, whats the closest thing to a falcon? Also, is there a local or area chat channel? All I see is help, general, etc.

Oh, and why is an npc considered a landmark?

No local chat, radar range is determined by bot and fittings (both target and yours), closest to a falcon would be one of the ewar mechs (cant remember which gets ecm bonus atm.) but the ewar light robots are probably more op than the falcon ever was (well used to be 6 mts ago) .

And NPC's as landmarks, I guess because it is a short cut they will be a stationary pile of junk very shortly any way so why bother showing them on some intermediary table..

Kalorn
June 28 2011, 07:55:58 PM
I too, turned off the tutorial missions by mistake, and now can't turn them on. :(

Xennith
June 28 2011, 08:18:34 PM

So how do you call people blobbing faggots?

L'oiseau
June 28 2011, 08:35:31 PM

Heh, blobs.

Hehulk
June 28 2011, 08:45:52 PM

Forum wars ofc

Space Panda
June 28 2011, 09:46:38 PM
Lol

tutorial failures: you can actvate any tutorial though your player profile page, or some shit.

Lana Torrin
June 29 2011, 01:42:13 AM
Lol

tutorial failures: you can actvate any tutorial though your player profile page, or some shit.

Just about to post this... Its in the agent info screen (they call players 'agents') and its like the last option in the list... 'Expansions' are skills... Also you get a TONE of SP when you start, but once you spend it it comes in rather slowly (and a fixed rate for everyone, its what, 1 SP per min?) so read up on the skill tree threads before blowing it all or you end up skilling for guns you cant use on the mechs you can pilot like i have..

Cross training is a go!

Skidrowpunk
June 30 2011, 09:16:55 PM
So do characters persist for a while when unsubbed like eve? Assuming they don't accumulate EP while unsubbed or logged off.

Lana Torrin
July 1 2011, 01:43:56 AM
So do characters persist for a while when unsubbed like eve? Assuming they don't accumulate EP while unsubbed or logged off.

c

Also account resets kick ass. You get 1 for free and then every one after that takes 20% off your EP (So the 2nd is 20% off, 3rd if 40% off, etc).. So when I ran through character creation the first time around and didn't know what the fuck I was doing I didn't completely screw myself up for life!

As I managed to get all of my bots killed trying a mission in an alpha-1 site it kinda blew my plans to move to alpha-2 and left me with nothing.. Account reset and now my skills DONT SUCK ASS!

Bittervet
July 1 2011, 02:01:55 AM

No ghost training.
Logged off/on doesn't matter, 1 EP/m. I had a 15 day trial, forgot about it, subbed and ended up with 40k+ EP to spend as it'd been counting away happily. Fucking win!

Kuurus
July 1 2011, 02:10:39 PM
De-lurking for perpetuum.. it's pretty fun so far! The only thing it's missing is the FASA/WizKids licensing for Battletech mechs :D

It got convo'd by a pretty awesome GM's the other day who actually *asked* how I was getting on. Apparently the dev's and GM's are pretty attentive in perp (which makes a change). What island are peeps faffing around on atm? I'm still on the noobfriendly-alpha-island running the tutorials atm, pondering wtf to spend my EP on. probably gonna go with navigation/fitting skills first, and then probably lasers or something.

Gonna stick a few hours into this later, hopefully it wont crash under a flood of new trials when the CSM release the outcome of the MT meeting today.

It's brilliant being a noob again.

Xennith
July 1 2011, 02:33:27 PM
Incidently, people who are confused;

Tab - switches between currently locked targets
R - selects a target as primary
F - locks something
U - Unlock target
V - Activate selected item (ie loot/dock)
Space - FIRE ZE MISSILES!

Game became much smoother and easier for me when I discovered these.

edit: You can also push the camera against the ground to lock the tiles underneath stuff with lots of juice ore in them.

Kuurus
July 1 2011, 03:20:14 PM
Incidently, people who are confused;

Tab - switches between currently locked targets
R - selects a target as primary
F - locks something
U - Unlock target
V - Activate selected item (ie loot/dock)
Space - FIRE ZE MISSILES!

Game became much smoother and easier for me when I discovered these.

Also, Setting 'M' to bring up the map is pretty much mandatory.

Calks
July 1 2011, 03:58:21 PM
Some of the other defaults are useful too;

G - Loot all
B - Global reload

liking that I can loot everything with two keypresses whilst locking up the next target.

Itiken
July 1 2011, 04:19:03 PM
how the FUCK do you get rid of the console blocking 1/2 screen display ARGH

Ryoko Matsui
July 1 2011, 04:56:32 PM

With the same key you opened it ;)

Itiken
July 1 2011, 07:01:59 PM

With the same key you opened it ;)

:ohnoes:

Lancehot
July 1 2011, 09:08:22 PM
So when does this game get fun? Did some combat tutorial missions which got old fast. Then did the transport mission circuit which again has gotten real dull. Free trial time is running out & have yet to feel the urge to sub.

Marlona Sky
July 2 2011, 04:31:21 AM
So when does this game get fun? Did some combat tutorial missions which got old fast. Then did the transport mission circuit which again has gotten real dull. Free trial time is running out & have yet to feel the urge to sub.

Try some PvP.

Space Panda
July 2 2011, 11:36:23 AM
the real fun is in transport missions. i don't know how you got sick of it.

Itiken
July 2 2011, 03:52:04 PM
I've been wondering about that with eve for.... 6 years now.

Athena Silk
July 3 2011, 02:26:08 AM
So I've been playing this for about a week, got into my lazor assault mech (Baphomet?) and found a boss deserted t1 light spawn that gives me 1+ mil an hour, so I have a bit of NIC. Still got a couple of weeks before I get into a mech, working on my support skills at the moment.

I want to try PvP, but I dunno how to go about it. Do I just go to a Beta island solo? Would a light mech like a Promethius be viable, or will I be ganked by some faggot in a heavy mech with his ECM alt? How does the overview work in relation to friendlies? Can I set it to not show corp mates and squad members?

Marlona Sky
July 3 2011, 05:03:06 AM
So I've been playing this for about a week, got into my lazor assault mech (Baphomet?) and found a boss deserted t1 light spawn that gives me 1+ mil an hour, so I have a bit of NIC. Still got a couple of weeks before I get into a mech, working on my support skills at the moment.

I want to try PvP, but I dunno how to go about it. Do I just go to a Beta island solo? Would a light mech like a Promethius be viable, or will I be ganked by some faggot in a heavy mech with his ECM alt? How does the overview work in relation to friendlies? Can I set it to not show corp mates and squad members?

You can easily setup the overview to not show gang and corp. There is a tab at the top of the overview and has a lot of boxes you can uncheck. The left boxes on the item is the overview and the right box is the icons you see in the field.

An assault bot is a nice choice. Just make sure you won't miss it when it dies. Having a recons type buddy to help scout and tackle is recommended, but not necessary. Fit a demobilizer for sure if you go solo.

Athena Silk
July 3 2011, 07:25:36 AM
An assault bot is a little more than I want to spend right now while learning how to PvP, I'd prefer to stick to Lights like the Promethius, providing they're viable.

Marlona Sky
July 3 2011, 08:27:30 AM
An assault bot is a little more than I want to spend right now while learning how to PvP, I'd prefer to stick to Lights like the Promethius, providing they're viable.

Light bots is what I meant. Apologies.

Maksim
July 3 2011, 10:07:40 PM
Having a recons type buddy to help scout and tackle is recommended, but not necessary.

Actually, a light bot is pretty much the best scout in the game, as it has the maximum possible sensor strength:
http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/detection_range

Bringing a buddy along is still a good idea, as the only thing a light bot can hope to kill is another light bot. I assume the players on the beta islands are all in mechs.

Joshua Foiritain
July 3 2011, 10:39:36 PM
Does weapons fire get stopped by buildings? I noticed some NPC shooting me through the corner of a building and i was curious if this is just a graphics bug/poor collision box or whether this is the case will all buildings and such?

Gix Tyrionn
July 4 2011, 01:57:24 AM
Either a glitch or missiles. Missiles make the check on weather they hit or not when they're fired like guns so they can have some weird graphic glitches when you move after they're registered as a hit.

Lana Torrin
July 4 2011, 03:01:59 AM
I'd go with pore collision boxes as well.. I have had some NPCs be CLEARLY in LOS and I've hit a building or the intervening ground.. I have also noticed that I occasionally jump around and assuming the hit calcs are done server side then possibly desync?

Marlona Sky
July 4 2011, 03:14:34 AM
Actually, a light bot is pretty much the best scout in the game, as it has the maximum possible sensor strength:
http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/detection_range

Bringing a buddy along is still a good idea, as the only thing a light bot can hope to kill is another light bot. I assume the players on the beta islands are all in mechs.

I went out on a solo roam with my ewar bot and found out it does not have that great of a detection range. Found some harvested bot but due to my lolskills, lolewar dps and him having good anti-demobilizer skills; I was unable to kill him before he made it to the closest terminal. Will most likely take a light bot next time for industrial hunting.

Tailn
July 4 2011, 11:54:23 AM
I'd go with pore collision boxes as well.. I have had some NPCs be CLEARLY in LOS and I've hit a building or the intervening ground.. I have also noticed that I occasionally jump around and assuming the hit calcs are done server side then possibly desync?

The Terrain is calculated as boxes and the ground is averaged between them so even though you may see a LOS between the target and you the actual LOS may intersect one of the intersected terrain boxes resulting in a group of shots hitting the floor at some point between you and the hostile. This used to be extremely prominent when shooting down 45deg+ slopes, however the devs managed to reduce that quite a lot.

It is the down side to having a map that is alterable live, every time you have a session change the current map is downloaded. I am not sure how changes will be handled between session changes though for the terraforming stuff.
I guess that this is also how the buildings hit boxes are the visible structure not quite being 100% accurate to the environmental boxes.
I believe that the fix they made was to make the hit calcs handle the fact however I do remember the devs stating that it would be way to costly to match exactly what is visible.

Ashaz
July 12 2011, 09:28:31 AM
Still haven't figured out what the hell i am doing, but the bot thingy was a dissapointment. the promo videos made me think i was gona stomp around in a bigass, mechwarrior-style mech with cannons on it. Not a tiny bug that give the impression of beeing the size of a chiuaua. :|

Arele
July 13 2011, 04:41:00 AM
Well unless you're in a commie style corp, the pvp will never be like as it is advertised. This is really just EVE, only with much more downtime / grind / whatever you want to call it. Once the transport missions are nerfed the income generation is going to tank hard for 90% of the newer players, it's just a ragequit timebomb waiting to happen.

Space Panda
July 13 2011, 05:11:55 AM
to be honest, i think the advantages of communism in robot land are kind of neat. i'd rather help my jews mine or whatever it is, compared to running the transports i currently am doing.

Arele
July 13 2011, 05:18:42 AM
The problem is that we all know eve mining is boring and tedious, perp takes that to a whole new level. Most people aren't going to do that unless forced to, and there's really no way to get around that.

Tailn
July 13 2011, 09:09:39 AM
For me mining is a nice passive income, I just set up a miner and switch on his lazors, apart from checking the radar it is pretty much hands off allowing me to get on with other stuff as well as supplementing my income nicely.

Ashaz
July 13 2011, 10:03:51 AM
Think I'm getting the hang of the game. But tbh i have still to find what's supposed to be fun about it.
The NPCs just sit there shooting me and new ones magicaly appear nicely within range for me to keep shooting at.
And I still look like a bug rather than a cool mech :(

hroethgar
July 14 2011, 10:32:35 AM
The problem is that we all know eve mining is boring and tedious, perp takes that to a whole new level. Most people aren't going to do that unless forced to, and there's really no way to get around that.

Personally, I find mining a damn sight more worthwhile in Perp than Eve. Having to scan ore fields doesn't really slow you down much, but it's frankly better than belts, and the lack of a drone region equivalent means mining is still an adequate source of low-effort income.

Lana Torrin
July 15 2011, 01:45:54 AM
Personally, I find mining a damn sight more worthwhile in Perp than Eve. Having to scan ore fields doesn't really slow you down much, but it's frankly better than belts, and the lack of a drone region equivalent means mining is still an adequate source of low-effort income.

Also the absolute shit recycle rates for no/low skills and the low drop rates of NPCs means that 'mission runners' aren't dumping billions of NIC worth of items on to the market every day..

Arele
July 15 2011, 02:45:44 AM
Certain T1 mods are heavily farmed, like range extenders for instance.

Lana Torrin
July 15 2011, 03:15:58 AM
Certain T1 mods are heavily farmed, like range extenders for instance.

That's because they are handy and hard to get.. So build T2? It takes seriously less than a week of crunching every kernel you get your hands on to be able to build up to and in most cases past T2.. T2 doesn't drop very often and is hard to farm, but is SO worth having because of the reduced fitting and weight.

So instead of REing T1 items and building them and trying to sell to an already flooded market, buy those T1 items, prototype them and then RE the T2 prototypes.. You can use buy orders to buy the farmed T1 good and produce the T2 goods for very little extra cost and then sell them back to the people flooding the T1 market at a significant markup.

T2 production is almost as easy as T1 production, especially when you can just buy the T1 goods..

If someone is interested in paying me to farm kernels for them please contact me in game.. I can get the low levels of any colour you want. (I can also apparently farm T1 lightweight frames, missile launchers, light EM guns and demobs if anyone is interested in them, but they aren't worth much)

Ashaz
July 15 2011, 07:16:14 AM
lesson of the day.
Your shiny new bot is not invincible.
5 NPCs with railguns all fireing at the same time has a surprisingly strong alpha.

Well. back to the newbie bot again then... :noob:

but damn. now I want railguns! :D

hroethgar
July 15 2011, 08:34:14 AM
Also the absolute shit recycle rates for no/low skills and the low drop rates of NPCs means that 'mission runners' aren't dumping billions of NIC worth of items on to the market every day..

That helps, but I was mining in the North to fund PvP when they introduced the drone regions, and I watche Zydrine drop from 4K/unit to 1 inside a very short window. Mission whores made very little difference by comparison.

SteeleResolve
July 17 2011, 10:33:08 AM
deleted because of REASONS

FatFreddy
July 17 2011, 11:17:02 AM
here be was being text

SteeleResolve
July 17 2011, 12:28:12 PM
interesting question