PDA

View Full Version : Perpetuum Welcoming Bittervets from Eve

Kalnov
June 27 2011, 12:48:30 AM
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi ... perpetuum/ (http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topic/2699/welcome-to-perpetuum/)

Since these two days have been the single most important event since our launch, I feel we need to address both our new players and the situation we find ourselves in. First of all let me offer our warmest welcome to our world and wish you all a pleasant and exciting stay.

We were always expecting to service a large group of players - we just weren’t planning to service them so soon. We were expecting to see these kinds of numbers in four to six months! You all are here, however, and our determination at servicing will be just as persistent as our shiny robot MMOG. Obviously, our newfound popularity is going to come with a slight downside for the next few days, but we’re confident that will be resolved soon. In the meantime, we’d like to share a few things with you that we think you’ll look forward to:

First of all we are going to fix the server issues. The rumors of DDoS attacks are unfounded, it is a flawed achitectural approach that we have to replace. And replace it we will.

Next week, we’ll be releasing the first of many new additions to our PvE content. You can expect a suite of 18 new complex missions with appeal to new and old players alike. Later in July, you’ll see a complete revamp of all existing missions as well, to ensure everyone’s getting the fun they deserve and the NIC they need.

We’ll be completely retooling the website: faster, slicker, and with a newer, more cohesive lore that ties the day-to-day gaming experience with the very fate of Nia. (Oooh!)

Later, you can expect to see the creation of our “Energy Point System” where Agents will finally get an opportunity to do what Project Perpetuum is all about - sending energy back to Earth! The rewards for this system are sure to interest people in all aspects of Nia’s society.

Corporations with territory control will be able to construct and deploy linked sets of structures to achieve even greater goals, and build headquarters to be the envied.

Soon you will even be able to shape the very planet itself! Yes, terraforming - it’s not just for Devs anymore! We’re excited about the possibility of seeing what our playerbase can do, when the tools to change the very earth beneath their feet are placed in their hands.

So once again, welcome to Nia. Please be patient with us while we get a handle on this unexpected - and very welcome! - surge of population, and we’re very much looking forward to sharing with you all the joys Nia can provide.

You can find more information on all this on our dev blog: http://blog.perpetuum-online.com

Until next time, keep an eye on your radar and your guns warm.

Kalnov
June 27 2011, 12:55:28 AM
Soon you will even be able to shape the very planet itself! Yes, terraforming - it’s not just for Devs anymore! We’re excited about the possibility of seeing what our playerbase can do, when the tools to change the very earth beneath their feet are placed in their hands.

myre god

Nicho Void
June 27 2011, 12:56:21 AM
Someone should really inform these guys that the spike in numbers is most likely temporary...and dumping money into server expansion ahead of their planned 4-6 month schedule might not be the best idea.

Kalnov
June 27 2011, 01:00:45 AM
[01:59:17] <LethalRose> you have to spread out too there are anti blob mechanics
[01:59:34] <Anilusion> when you die you explode and do damage to stuff around you
[01:59:43] <LethalRose> you gain a debuff that increases locking time
[01:59:52] <Wite Melkins> if you abort a mission, do u get a standing hit?
[01:59:53] <Morrigi> oh look, eve channel
[01:59:54] <Dark Omega> the more people that are close together the more interference you get which makes it alot longer to lock
[02:00:02] <Morrigi> hi guys
[02:00:07] <Drahkar> Also players cause itnerference, which gives an increasing penalty beyond certain levels of interference

gasp

L'oiseau
June 27 2011, 01:07:01 AM
[spoiler:2vgit9td]Interference is common phenomena on Nia that you should be always aware of. Robots in Perpetuum use waves to gain information about the surroundings, and such waves can interfere with each other.

The most common occurrence of interference is when several robots are nearby each other. Interference will affect these robots&#39; sensoring capabilities:

* slower target locking
* shorter locking range
* dropping of sensor strength
* dropping of [[Help:Signal_detection_and_masking|signal detection]]

===The measure of interference===

Each robot has certain parameters about interference.

* &#39;&#39;&#39;Interference emission&#39;&#39;&#39; - The amount of interference that your robot emits.
* &#39;&#39;&#39;Interference minimum&#39;&#39;&#39; - The maximum amount of interference that your robot can tolerate before suffering sensor penalties.
* &#39;&#39;&#39;Interference peak&#39;&#39;&#39; - The maximum amount of total interference that can affect the robot. Any additional unit of interference will not affect your sensors any more.
* &#39;&#39;&#39;Interference radius&#39;&#39;&#39; - The radius that your robot can affect other robots with its interference.

According to these parameters, the total interference of robots standing close to each other - friend and enemy alike - can actually affect their individual sensoring abilities. To avoid deterioration of your sensors, avoid crowd, team up in smaller squads, or stay away from large enemy forces.

You can check your own level of interference on your robot&#39;s status bar, near the speed meter. When it&#39;s green, it means the total incoming interference is below the &#39;&#39;&#39;interference minimum value&#39;&#39;&#39;. When it reaches the orange section, that means your sensor&#39;s parameters will get worse. These two values can change until your total incoming interference reaches &#39;&#39;&#39;interference peak&#39;&#39;&#39;, but after this point your sensors&#39; abilities cannot decline any further.

===The tactical use of interference===

Interference affects robotic sensoring in a negative way, so it&#39;s obvious that this effect can be used as a kind of electronic warfare. The tactical interference equipment consists of two parts: a module and an interference emitter.

First the &#39;&#39;&#39;interference module&#39;&#39;&#39; needs to be [[Help:Robot_equipment|equipped]] onto your robot, then you need to load the &#39;&#39;&#39;interference emitter&#39;&#39;&#39; into the module. You can place the emitter anywhere on the terrain, but it affects robots only on outer zones. It won&#39;t interfere with robots in New Virginia, Attalica, and Daoden. Also, emitters cannot be deployed closer than 150 meters to each other.

The level of emission of the deployed emitter depends on the type of module you use, and also the [[Help:Character_information_-_extensions|extension]] that you can install.[/spoiler:2vgit9td]

tl;dr: Each robot puts out interference. Each robot has a tolerance to this interference. More robots, more interference, and your sensors go to shit. This can also be controlled by players via modules and extensions.

Also addressing what Nicho said. This isn't EVE. This is Perpetuum. Add to the community in a rational and logical manner. Avoid dumping your bitterness on the game and try to get over your paranoia from EVE. Help to nurture Perpetuum and not smother it.

Bacchanalian
June 27 2011, 01:32:10 AM
Someone should really inform these guys that the spike in numbers is most likely temporary...and dumping money into server expansion ahead of their planned 4-6 month schedule might not be the best idea.

They're not dumb, they know what's going on. That said, if the game doesn't suck, I'll probably wind up subbing an account and keeping it. Even if CCP gets their heads out of their asses here, I'll be -1 account shortly (and -5 if they don't, probably -2 or -3 even if they do), and considering that the Perpetuum sub is cheaper than EVE, I'll probably keep a sub active and tinker with it from time to time. Especially if it really does feel like an early EVE.

Of course, I'm saying all of this before I even get onto the server. Hoping that later this evening as EU and Eastern US timezones get late the server population will die down a bit.

thebomby
June 27 2011, 01:33:54 AM
This page has given me some hope that there are still some decent, sane game devs out there.

I think I like the idea of the anti-blob mechanics, but above all, I think that I like the (current) attitude of the devs there, willing to respond to players. Not having to deal with CCP will be a wonderful thing.

Am currently looking for a new abode but will try this after the summer.

Serric
June 27 2011, 03:37:59 AM
Had a chance to get on the server this evening, have to say I have good first impressions of the game and community. A few asshats in the eve channel, but I suppose that's expected. I'll likely keep a sub going since it's cheap and the game appears to be good. Who knows it might keep my from cycling my STO account on and off.

Tyrus Tenebros
June 27 2011, 04:52:08 AM
Based on what happened today the anti-blob mechanic with locktime is either not well understood or massively overpowered, or some combination of all of that.

Admittedly, we were in noob ships, but I was getting literally a 30s locktime against mechs several size classes up, and there were maybe 20-30 total on grid. Obv. the interference has a max-out number, but damn, 30 on grid and 30+s locktime? dunno about that....

Soarer
June 27 2011, 08:39:25 AM
Based on what happened today the anti-blob mechanic with locktime is either not well understood or massively overpowered, or some combination of all of that.

Admittedly, we were in noob ships, but I was getting literally a 30s locktime against mechs several size classes up, and there were maybe 20-30 total on grid. Obv. the interference has a max-out number, but damn, 30 on grid and 30+s locktime? dunno about that....

I've noticed lock time in general in this game is much longer. I've been running around with a sensor booster in my high. There is also a skill called Accelerated target locking under the Electronics skill set. It helps.

zangorus
June 27 2011, 11:06:30 AM
[01:59:17] <LethalRose> you have to spread out too there are anti blob mechanics
[01:59:34] <Anilusion> when you die you explode and do damage to stuff around you
[01:59:54] <Dark Omega> the more people that are close together the more interference you get which makes it alot longer to lock
[02:00:07] <Drahkar> Also players cause itnerference, which gives an increasing penalty beyond certain levels of interference

gasp
FUCKING GENIUS

Iloni Atoriandra
June 27 2011, 12:59:24 PM
Several of us from PL have just started and made a group as well now.

Gentle Glide
June 27 2011, 02:08:45 PM
Oh shit someone tell the dev his new crew of bittervets dont care about roleplaying and we dont want to save earth. Other than that im really excited to be part of the future wave of bitterness to leave Perpetuum in 10 years when they decide they are big enough to do what they want (we got these guys by the balls right now).

Lana Torrin
June 27 2011, 03:38:13 PM
Oh shit someone tell the dev his new crew of bittervets dont care about roleplaying and we dont want to save earth. Other than that im really excited to be part of the future wave of bitterness to leave Perpetuum in 10 years when they decide they are big enough to do what they want (we got these guys by the balls right now).
They can send out devblogs with roleplaying in them if they want.. i just want to kill shit (and get out of this noob bot)

Nicho Void
June 27 2011, 04:16:16 PM
Let me try to rephrase.

I think it's great so many Eve bittervets are trying out this new game...but how many of the hundreds of players that signed up for a free trial do you think will actually stick around and be here in 2 months time? I'm not knocking perpetuum, or being bitter about Eve, I'm just pointing out that this spike in users may be followed by a dip.

Jolin
June 27 2011, 04:40:31 PM
FHC changes games/mmos every two months anyway :monocledowns:

zergl
June 27 2011, 04:54:00 PM
I, for one, welcome our new FOTM Overlord.

Demoser
June 27 2011, 07:46:18 PM
[quote="Tyrus Tenebros":27iifya4]Based on what happened today the anti-blob mechanic with locktime is either not well understood or massively overpowered, or some combination of all of that.

As a pose to eve your lock time is not smaller for smaller bots. A heavy mech has the same lock time as a light bot at base. As most mechs / heavy mechs have one or two of the equivalent of sensor boosters they lock faster. Most of the folks in them will have trained the skills to 10 also. For a competent mech p[pilot your locking in under 5 seconds.[/quote:27iifya4]

sounds like we will be welping a ton of arkhes until we get more ep then....

Tailn
June 27 2011, 09:15:12 PM
And how to do MT right.

As mentioned in the first part of this blog, this will be a microtransaction feature: for a small fee you’ll be able to purchase packages of multiple paintjob tokens that you can use to finalize colours on your robot.

the quote can be found here (http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/2011-06-24-this-summer-part-2/)

FatFreddy
June 27 2011, 09:25:45 PM
Let me try to rephrase.

I think it's great so many Eve bittervets are trying out this new game...but how many of the hundreds of players that signed up for a free trial do you think will actually stick around and be here in 2 months time? I'm not knocking perpetuum, or being bitter about Eve, I'm just pointing out that this spike in users may be followed by a dip.

http://www.all-about-agatha-christie.com/images/poirot.jpg

Damien Grammaticus
June 27 2011, 09:36:57 PM
I'm just pointing out that this spike in users may be followed by a dip.

I'm personally part of the spike in dips that may be useless followers.

Mi Lai
June 28 2011, 12:15:41 AM
Not sure whether I will sub after trial, but I like the company so far. Sure there is trouble logging in and stuff, but they at least seem pretty open about whats going on and such. Also, got a PM from a dev to ask me how I like the game and such. Never really seen so much involvement from Devs (though I heard early EVE was like that).

Drakma
June 28 2011, 12:53:40 AM
I, for one, welcome our new FOTM Overlord.

I'll go ahead and set up a dedicated forum/wiki/ts for it and we'll be bored of it in a week...

brb...

Lana Torrin
June 28 2011, 01:29:38 AM
Actually enjoying the game and thinking of giving them a years sub right off the bat crew checking in... The clincher will be if it runs on my eeepc.. (If not I'll probably still put a few months in to it as its a bit of fun)

Bacchanalian
June 28 2011, 01:30:53 AM
Already subbed crew checking in.

Drakma
June 28 2011, 02:03:28 AM
Actually enjoying the game and thinking of giving them a years sub right off the bat crew checking in... The clincher will be if it runs on my eeepc.. (If not I'll probably still put a few months in to it as its a bit of fun)

what model eeepc? it won't run on my 1005HAB

Reed Tiburon
June 28 2011, 02:04:25 AM
I wonder if they have a version of FHC where they all bitch about old walking animations?

Perhaps failheap can handle the bittervet population of two different games..

Lana Torrin
June 28 2011, 02:13:19 AM

Probably older than that.. What was the error? (I have a lot more ram than stock..)

Drakma
June 28 2011, 02:16:45 AM
[quote="Lana Torrin":2e3npp57]Actually enjoying the game and thinking of giving them a years sub right off the bat crew checking in... The clincher will be if it runs on my eeepc.. (If not I'll probably still put a few months in to it as its a bit of fun)

Probably older than that.. What was the error? (I have a lot more ram than stock..)[/quote:2e3npp57]

No error message. Just would start up and black screen. HDD would chug like a champ for a good 20 minutes then nothing. 2GB of RAM in my 1005 don't think that was the issue.

EchoEpsilon23
June 28 2011, 02:19:38 AM
I'm hoping it'll run on my integrated Graphics card, (yes I bought a shitty laptop for 200 dollars laugh at me all you want fuckers).

Rosur
June 28 2011, 03:06:38 AM
Already subbed crew checking in.

needing money to do that otherwise i would be, though might wait till most of the server problems are sorted.

Kalnov
June 28 2011, 03:19:31 AM
Wishing SHattered Crystal had cards...

Waiting on paypal to transfer funds.

Tyrus Tenebros
June 28 2011, 03:47:47 AM
Credit cards work on perp site v0v

waiting on lag to go away. It's JUST LIKE eve!

Kalnov
June 28 2011, 03:50:08 AM
My cc doesn't work overseas and I see no reason to change that due to paypal.

Just takes a while...

Space Panda
June 28 2011, 07:15:50 AM

gasp

HOLY SHIT. this is fucking awesome.

i've been browsing a lot of perpetuum pvp videos, and it looks pretty neat. most of the videos i watched seemed to be the equivalent of our faction war, because there usually was what appeared to be shit "fleet" discipline. would be cool to be pro and keep your spacing, based on the above described game mechanic, and nano fuckers.

game really needs better avatars though, fuck.

Helicity
June 28 2011, 08:45:44 AM

Truth. I saw they were hiring for that actually, so if you know anyone that's good at modelling faces...

Tailn
June 28 2011, 10:21:27 AM
Have allways found it amusing that the player portraits are so bad and yet the companys name is 'Avatar Creations'

Aypse
June 28 2011, 03:28:27 PM
My guy looks like he has an enormous tumor growing out of his chin. Then again, all I could be bothered doing with the avatar creator was clicking the random button until a non-retarded looking one came up.

Lana Torrin
June 29 2011, 02:40:24 AM

Truth. I saw they were hiring for that actually, so if you know anyone that's good at modelling faces...

All I can say is good.. I gave up trying to make my face look like anything in the end and just went with one that didn't look retarded (which was surprisingly hard to do).

Even CCPs old one was better than this..

Aypse
June 29 2011, 03:46:31 PM
Signed out to buy a subscription, how I can't get back in. :derper:

Calks
June 29 2011, 03:48:39 PM
Spam login butan

kay farriday
June 29 2011, 06:19:12 PM
Have had good fun when I could login ...

Hope to see you chaps soon.

Bittervet
June 30 2011, 04:59:48 PM
Got to admit I'm liking the game. It's not 'perfect' by any stretch of the imagination (yes, I like strong group PvE AND PvP damn it) but I was in EVE since Exodus and it's got that same hmm... rough around the edges feel to it but the dev's seem to be more interested in getting shit working properly and balanced than they do spanking out new content faster than a masterbating monkey.

The anti-blod stuff just makes me happy. Got sick and tired of my lulzy T1 cruiser roams being abandoned to do the fleetsheep blob-o-rama faggotry.

I'm definetly in the crowd that's going to keep 1 account here chugging and MAYBE (if CCP does a 180) 1 EVE acc running. It'll still be quids in as Perp is cheaper \o/

Alistair
June 30 2011, 05:19:01 PM
Was really hoping Perp had grown some since Beta.

Left dissapointed.

The EVE Bitter must be truly obscuring things, because Perp is not very good, not even close to EVE tbh, even in the state it's in now post-Incarna. Shallow, boring, horribad PvE, and not very good PvP. I'm guessing for the vast vast majority, Perp is bittervets rebound girl, here for a quick fling while their eyes are still blinded by bitter, but soon to be abandoned when they see how bad Perp really is.

Space Panda
June 30 2011, 06:39:03 PM
ionno i think it's refreshing. i'm still playing both, though.

i've had good success station jewing people. feels good.

Lana Torrin
July 1 2011, 03:16:11 AM
Was really hoping Perp had grown some since Beta.

Left dissapointed.

The EVE Bitter must be truly obscuring things, because Perp is not very good, not even close to EVE tbh, even in the state it's in now post-Incarna. Shallow, boring, horribad PvE, and not very good PvP. I'm guessing for the vast vast majority, Perp is bittervets rebound girl, here for a quick fling while their eyes are still blinded by bitter, but soon to be abandoned when they see how bad Perp really is.

There is nothing bad about a good rebound boy/girl.. Some of the best dates I have ever had have been rebounds.. I tend to stay friends with them for a long time after as well.. PO can be my rebound and im fine with that.

Marlona Sky
July 3 2011, 06:11:06 PM
Lost a Cameleon due to a run time error about 20 minutes ago. Contacted a GM in the help channel and within 3 minutes, had the Cameleon reimbursed to me. That's right, 3 minutes. The logs show EVERYTHING! and i didn't have to wait days to get a cookie cutter reply that says to fuck off cause logs show nothing.

"We know there are a few glitches and bugs that can cause runtime errors, we are on to hunt down these little bastards. We're really sorry to cause you inconvenience" -GM Synapse

♥ these devs and gms

Tailn
July 4 2011, 11:06:41 AM
Remember each time you pm a dev / gm (for some selfish issue) *YOU* are causing a delay in the next patch and its goodies impacting the rest of us directly :P.

But yea I love how the bots also come back fully fitted. There were a few beta events where the bots were replaced to try and get as many people out, they always came back in exactly the same condition as they started the event in including dents and scratches. Those logs man they show *everything*.

Marlona Sky
July 15 2011, 04:04:16 PM
There was supposed to be a patch today. Devs found a bug and decided to not push the patch out till the bug was killed. From GM in general chat earlier:

"Why would we push a patch out with a bug and you guys suffer for it?"

Mind = Blown

I'm just not used to this kind of treatment. ♥

Arele
July 15 2011, 05:00:29 PM
They're a tiny team with a tiny player base, it is in every financial interest that they take the best possible care of each player as the 'worth' of each player is much more then a standard MMO.

That's not to say they're only being nice to get money, the GM's are basically chatting and answering questions every minute they're on, it's very refreshing. Hell I just joined the game had my client up for about 4 minutes, just started reading the ingame descriptions and whatnot and already had a Dev messaging me asking if I am having any problems, etc. That's an account that was literally made 10 minutes prior, and it's a very good first impression.

Leviathan
July 24 2011, 08:54:01 PM
ive got no subbed eve counts and I don't want to play this terrible game.. Internet is youtube :(

This game IS terrible.

Takon Orlani
September 19 2011, 06:15:47 PM
ive got no subbed eve counts and I don't want to play this terrible game.. Internet is youtube :(

This game IS terrible.

It just needs to feel less grindy.