Mona
June 22 2011, 09:45:50 AM
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2011/06/16/e3-2011-xcom/

He mad.

Davd
June 22 2011, 10:22:30 AM
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2011/06/16/e3-2011-xcom/

He mad.

Video was a waste of time, he just sits around and stares at the camera and facepalms a lot.
I lol'd when the majority of the comments admit to not playing or knowing about the original xcom (i didn't myself).

This game looks quite shitty though.

Surveyor
June 22 2011, 10:52:31 AM
Original XCom was hot, thi looks like Incarna for EVE :)

And don't be angry at the guy whining in his webcam, thats Web 2.0 for us.

filingo
June 22 2011, 10:53:08 AM
I have the 5 xcom game pack on steam from christmas but I have no idea how to play them. I've played ufo afterlight I think which is alright...

orcane
June 22 2011, 11:09:23 AM
saw the trailers, not interested

doesn't have a lot to do with "Xcom" other than the name, and doesn't look any special compared to the five million other console shooters out there

Intigo
June 22 2011, 11:13:17 AM
I have the 5 xcom game pack on steam from christmas but I have no idea how to play them. I've played ufo afterlight I think which is alright...

play the first one

it's such a good game

maybe just youtube a video or a lets play to get the hang of the basics (or google it)

friznit
June 22 2011, 11:48:35 AM
XCom, a game made when developers still cared about making good games. And it's not just nostalgia talking, it's still great to play even with the 20th Century graphics.

epictetus
June 22 2011, 12:55:17 PM
Shit vid, but definitely the original Xcom was one of the best games ever made and its a shame to see the name get annihilated like this.

I still really wish they would make new versions of all the "after-..." games that where like Xcom but more modern (and shit maps, but still was a decent modernization of the genre).

firefoxx80
June 22 2011, 01:16:20 PM
Is this the FPS one? If so, yeah, it looked shit.

Xenonauts (http://www.xenonauts.com/) looks more like a remake, than a rehash. And, if they don't cock it up, has the potential to be better than the original.

IMHO, the post-classic X-COM/UFO games have all been poor cousins. UFO:AI did a pretty decent job, but suffered from small-dev-team/open-source syndrome; eg. choosing the Quake enging to draw maps, and the limitations that it offers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Alien_Invasion).

Edit: OpenXCOM anyone? http://openxcom.ninex.info/index.php/about/

And yeah, there's nothing like the fear when one of your squaddies gets mind controlled, and opens up on his teammates; the rush of the next few turns, both working out where this psychic assailant is, and trying desperately to medikit your dying soldiers.

balistic void
June 22 2011, 01:46:35 PM
[youtube:21fkzz0x]gRAroTM4nU8[/youtube:21fkzz0x]

Kalil
June 22 2011, 02:16:04 PM
Brilliant game and well worth a playthrough. Game is long, involved and makes for a fantastic AAR. Some of my best times gaming as a 14 year old. TTFD was probably the first game to make me ragequit but also I just kept coming back to it. UFO:EO and Frontier were the 'games that made me', well that and Civ 1&2.

Namoo
June 22 2011, 03:17:03 PM

play the first one

it's such a good game

maybe just youtube a video or a lets play to get the hang of the basics (or google it)

[youtube:1x8d6vfa]hd7zLzi358I[/youtube:1x8d6vfa]

Watch those series of videos its what got me into the game. Some absolutely hilarious stuff. Xcom is one of the few games that has made me seriously tense while playing. When a mission comes down to the wire im always left in a shaken mess by the end of it. Naming your crew as something hilarious is essential. Mine were a mix of actors/game characters which led to some hilarious scenarios. Any fans of the movie Black Dynamite may know Creamcorn. He was the first guy in my team of the ramp everytime and only in about 10% of the missions did he make it further than the ramp. Everytime he died I could here 'CREAMCORN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' in my head. Also named one Gordon Freeman which one very occaision where most of my team would miss he would land his shot with an absolutely rediculous chance. It also seemed to make him immune to enemy fire. He only took 1 hit (which he survived) in 20 missions.

yrq
June 22 2011, 03:43:20 PM
I can't believe it, I finally found the game I played in 1998-1999 or something which my uncle installed on our old dos computer. I never figured out how to do anything, I was stuck in the spaceship in the first mission. I've always thought back wishing I knew how it worked, at the time I didn't care since I had lion king and aladdin to play (and later wolfenstein 3d and doom 2).

Definitely getting this and trying it out, sounds/looks awesome.

Ombey
June 22 2011, 04:12:13 PM
Ohhhh god I loved these games.

Immersion was amazing. On the 'downed ufo' missions, when i finally got the armour with jet-pacs built in, I thought I was terribly smart by knocking a hole in the roof of the ufo then splitting my squad into two units and going in top and bottom.

Early night missions were scary as fuck...

Got to re-buy this, Steam here I come.

Venec
June 22 2011, 06:40:34 PM
X-Com series :companioncube: My favorite one, while being similiar to Enemy Unknown, is Terror from the Deep; I just love that lovecraftian atmosphere.

Intigo
June 22 2011, 06:53:45 PM
[youtube:2eaa6re4]gRAroTM4nU8[/youtube:2eaa6re4]

AAAAHHHH!

That guy breathes in such an annoying fashion. T_T

Still, gonna have to fire up X-Com now because of him.

Venec
June 22 2011, 06:54:58 PM
He's not that bad TBH, I sat through his 2 Let's plays of X-Com only slightly bothered :nostradamus:

Andrea Griffin
June 22 2011, 07:26:28 PM
Going to parrot that the original XCom: UFO Defense is indeed one of the best games ever made. I was never too fond of Terror From the Deep, but I did like Apocalypse.

The original creators of XCom also created Laser Squad Nemesis, but it was doomed to fail from the start: A monthly fee for a 2-player turn-based game? I would have bought it otherwise...

Dark 0men
June 22 2011, 09:05:01 PM
I wish the Xenonauts people would hurry the hell up. Do want.

Also X-Com is meant to be played in :monocledowns: mode without save-scumming.

lubica
June 22 2011, 09:31:19 PM
I wish the Xenonauts people would hurry the hell up. Do want.

Also X-Com is meant to be played in :monocledowns: mode without save-scumming.
its is insanely, insanely difficult to do so and not run yourself out of cash after 6 months

This game, Syndicate and Civ 1&2 made me lose soooooooo many hours as a kid, :doogtiems:

Sneakyfool
June 23 2011, 12:07:03 PM
OMG X-com Terror from the deep, one of my fave games ever, everyone said this game was hard, so I got it, and pwned, killing shit, doing every mission no problem, then the fucking Lobsterman missions started, one grenade later half a squad dead, and a revision of my rush tactics was needed. Got that shit down, but man those Cruiser ship missions took ages, then those bloody aliens in the deep sea diving suits came, they took forever to kill.

By that time your tech was good, had good armor, and decent weapons, then those biodrones started coming and they self destructed Predator style when u killed them, lost many a good man to those fucks.

One game I played shit loads but never actually beat :(

New game looks shit, and not turned based, therefor not Xcom.

Chrien
June 23 2011, 12:37:14 PM
This game, Syndicate and Civ 1&2 made me lose soooooooo many hours as a kid, :doogtiems:

Only as a kid? I play UFO Defense about once a year hardcore for a couple of weeks :) I never finish it because once I get blaster bombs it becomes ezmode and I get bored (I guess I should just ban myself from blaster bombs)

lubica
June 23 2011, 12:55:39 PM

Only as a kid? I play UFO Defense about once a year hardcore for a couple of weeks :) I never finish it because once I get blaster bombs it becomes ezmode and I get bored (I guess I should just ban myself from blaster bombs)
I just took the first xcom for a spin about 2 months ago actually, cba to finish off the last 5 alien bases on earth...

fig
June 23 2011, 01:15:35 PM
XCOM: Interceptor was always fun for me too.

OPP TO FLIGHT COMMANDER- THANKS, WE OWE YOU ONE.

Intigo
June 23 2011, 03:58:59 PM
bought X-Com on Steam yesterday just to play the 1st one again

am playing again now

argh :3

Izo Azlion
June 23 2011, 04:32:34 PM
They've ruined X-Com and the graphics look pretty shit compared to what will be out by then (Battlefield 3 :P)

Quarantine
June 23 2011, 06:31:05 PM
One game I played shit loads but never actually beat :(

New game looks shit, and not turned based, therefor not Xcom.

Signing this. I had a pretty good run on TftD once, until it turned out it's possible to hit a tech tree deadend via a bug that makes it impossible to do any further research. To actually complete it takes forever, single aliens hiding on huge ass maps and all :facepalm: Never had the stamina to see it through.

James Snowscoran
June 25 2011, 03:08:40 AM
once I get psi-amps it becomes ezmode and I get bored (I guess I should just ban myself from mind control)
FYP

Shaikar
June 25 2011, 04:08:37 AM
I never got anywhere with TFD, never quite got to grips with how to handle the start so usually ended up completing the first little alien sub missions with 60%+ casualties and rapidly getting fucked as a result. :lol:

Enemy Unknown and Apocalypse both went much better for me.

stormyfs-shitpoastin
June 25 2011, 04:20:28 AM
Only completed UFO: Enemy Unknown once.
The rest of my attempts were plagued by being unlucky with commander/navigator aliens, and then getting slapped by alien invasions on my base :(

Intigo
June 25 2011, 01:07:55 PM
The rest of my attempts were plagued by being unlucky with commander/navigator aliens, and then getting slapped by alien invasions on my base :(

Alien invasions are pretty simple if you just make sure there's only one chokepoint though?

Like the guy in the let's play rebuilding both his hangars to make the elevator the chokepoint.

Mona
June 25 2011, 02:39:22 PM
Alien invasions are pretty simple if you just make

3 blaster defence thingy and 1 gravity bumpy thingy.

lubica
June 25 2011, 03:11:42 PM

jesus, this.

Surveyor
June 25 2011, 07:04:05 PM

I just visioned being a soldier under your command:

Soldier: Sir, multiple signals incoming!
You: Activte the blaster defence and gravity bumpy thingies
Soldier: Yes Sir! :psyduck:

On topic:
I only played TftD (?) but i loved it a lot. Perhaps i should give it a try again.

depili
June 25 2011, 07:23:18 PM
dammit you made me install x-com to a dosbox again

James Snowscoran
June 25 2011, 08:21:01 PM
Someone needs to do an fhc let's play with the soldiers named after prominent poasters

Chrien
June 26 2011, 02:40:50 AM
They'd all be dead in mine after 2 missions :)
Have just started on superhuman, the life expectancy of my soldiers is atrocious :mrgreen:

larcatofzion
June 26 2011, 06:45:15 AM
Going to parrot that the original XCom: UFO Defense is indeed one of the best games ever made. I was never too fond of Terror From the Deep, but I did like Apocalypse.

The original creators of XCom also created Laser Squad Nemesis, but it was doomed to fail from the start: A monthly fee for a 2-player turn-based game? I would have bought it otherwise...

It was really a pity, because LSN was a fucking AMAZING game.

If it had been straight up 50 bucks, my buddy and I would be playing it to this day.

stormyfs-shitpoastin
June 26 2011, 07:17:24 PM

Alien invasions are pretty simple if you just make sure there's only one chokepoint though?

Like the guy in the let's play rebuilding both his hangars to make the elevator the chokepoint.

Rebuilding like that is for girls. :P

balistic void
June 27 2011, 10:52:30 AM
Regarding XCOM + TFTD I hope everyone knows that unless you use XCOM Util patcher then you are playing on beginner. There is bug that resets it back to beginner once you load a save. Also has many optional changes, example: make heavy laser worthwhile, give 4 transport slots to interceptor, save soldier equipment config etc.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=XcomUtil

Oh, also lets you play a merged game of xcom+tftd using both mapsets. Not tried that yet :ohnoes:

epictetus
June 27 2011, 01:08:31 PM
Regarding XCOM + TFTD I hope everyone knows that unless you use XCOM Util patcher then you are playing on beginner. There is bug that resets it back to beginner once you load a save.

:lol: :lol:

Helicity
June 28 2011, 09:38:05 AM
I nearly pissed my pants laughing watching kikoskia's new Let's Play X-COM. All he wanted was to capture a base commander. And he was doing SO WELL too.

And then blasterbomb.

Quarantine
June 28 2011, 01:45:40 PM
Regarding XCOM + TFTD I hope everyone knows that unless you use XCOM Util patcher then you are playing on beginner. There is bug that resets it back to beginner once you load a save.

Oh god oh man oh god. It already was a save and reload orgy the easy way, and I wasn't even playing on a higher difficulty?

firefoxx80
June 28 2011, 02:06:33 PM
Yup, was playing TFTD this weekend. Already had 2 base defence missions and restarted about 3 times.

Seems that researching medikits early on will turn a steady profit. So I'm busy working on a second manufacturing base.

Chrien
June 28 2011, 02:10:03 PM
Try playing on superhuman with xcomutil. Best bit was my first attempt 3 days ago when I sent my whole team out to a terror mission and my base got raided = instant game over. I actually loled.

Watching Kikoskia's lets play xcom its quite obvious hes really really bad at the game :) makes it worth watching.

friznit
June 28 2011, 02:15:46 PM
I personally loved the more sandboxy elements to Apocalypse (stun raids on the Police HQ to steal their stuff with no rep loss yo), although it got very grindy towards the end.

Of all the endless remakes and rehashes either released or in foreverbeta, are any of them remotely worth bothering with?

DrunkenOne
June 28 2011, 03:43:08 PM
Worth playing apocalypse? Or should i just play the old game again. Feel like killing aliens.

balistic void
June 28 2011, 04:07:19 PM
Apocalypse is underappreciated, is better in many ways than the original. A lot of it is broken tho, like ground vehicles (pointless because if a ufo shoots the terrain underneath the tank gets destroyed). Good old autocannon+incendiary is awesome when used in apartment blocks full of civilians. Fire spreads and structures collapse, you can bring the whole building down!

Shaikar
June 28 2011, 04:12:17 PM
Definitely. I liked Apocalypse and to be honest I think it has stood up better to time than the first one has - blasphemy, I know.

Renox
June 28 2011, 06:32:46 PM
Anyone know of an easy way to get apocalypse up and running on windows 7?

Dark 0men
June 28 2011, 06:51:30 PM
I personally loved the more sandboxy elements to Apocalypse (stun raids on the Police HQ to steal their stuff with no rep loss yo), although it got very grindy towards the end.

Of all the endless remakes and rehashes either released or in foreverbeta, are any of them remotely worth bothering with?
Apoc is cool, y'all should play it if you haven't yet.

UFO: Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight are alright, but don't really hit the spot. Maybe it's because your dudes are not disposable, or maybe because they don't automatically shoot.

Xenonauts is lolpaidbeta, but they seem to be making good progress, and the openxcom guy seems to be pretty serious business. There's a couple of others, but they are shit.

Aramendel
June 28 2011, 07:36:22 PM
+1 to "liked Apoc".

fig
June 28 2011, 08:24:25 PM
Interceptor was the best, fuck the haters.

Rachag
June 28 2011, 08:43:17 PM
I nearly pissed my pants laughing watching kikoskia's new Let's Play X-COM. All he wanted was to capture a base commander. And he was doing SO WELL too.

And then blasterbomb.

He is fun to watch/listen to but he is bloody awful at the game. :monocledowns:

Sod it, time crank up the game again. 8-)

Shaikar
June 28 2011, 10:21:58 PM
Anyone know of an easy way to get apocalypse up and running on windows 7?Buy on steam, install, push play buttan works for me. :)
You can get all the x-com games for 9 or any individually for 3.

Chrien
June 29 2011, 12:18:19 AM
Apoc was the first x-com game I played. Haven't played it since it first came out, although I do own it on steam.

balistic void
June 29 2011, 09:42:48 AM
Apoc has some mouse wierdness because of the resolution, you will likely have to edit the config files to bump up mouse speed. Still feels annoyingly jerky tho.

Quarantine
June 29 2011, 12:58:10 PM
He is fun to watch/listen to but he is bloody awful at the game. :monocledowns:

Sod it, time crank up the game again. 8-)

X-Com after action reports can be rather entertaining when a lot goes wrong. A shame that successful save / reload heavy "perfect" games are rather boring, otherwise UFO and TftD would make for decent succession games ala DF.

Chrien
June 29 2011, 01:52:35 PM
I'd argue on Superhuman the save / reload method is the only way to play it. I landed in a terror mission at night in Janurary and had two cyberdisks and a sectoid right outside my skyranger, I couldn't move my tank without it dying straight away. I ended up saving / reloading about 20+ times just to get the tank to live past the first turn. That said I only use save / reload for blatant bs like that, or when the aliens throw a grenade at the ramp on turn 1 or 2.

And lol at how bad that lets play xcom guy is. I'm up to the part where he builds his second base and he just randomly places his lift in like the worst place heh :facepalm: but he seems to be enjoying himself so its all good.

Dark 0men
June 29 2011, 05:07:30 PM
I landed in a terror mission at night in Janurary and had two cyberdisks and a sectoid right outside my skyranger
That's no excuse for save scumming, that's when you go "welp bye guys urfukd" and take off.

lubica
June 29 2011, 06:40:24 PM
I just hilariously edited the files to give my soldiers extremely high stats and gave the laser rifle 255 dmg and 1% AP cost for all shot types.

RAM-FUKKEN-BO

Its hilarious if you do it after you just had your entire squad in flying suits and heavy plasmas owned by several well-placed blastershots and you are contemplating taking an axe to the HDD.

im terrible

Ararius
June 29 2011, 11:51:14 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem that X-Com would translate well to.. say an Ipad, or other tablet? Mouse-centric controls could translate well to the touch screen interface, and I would love to take the mission wherever I go.

Also it would be just damn cool.

Rachag
June 30 2011, 03:23:48 AM
Would probably work quite well on an ipad i would think.

Now back to killing alien scum with laser pistol/high explosive combos. :ugeek: :companioncube:

Helicity
June 30 2011, 03:58:41 PM
note to self: do not spread troops out in a convenient daisy chain in terror missions with Cryssalids.

I just lost an entire team in like 3 turns :facepalm:

FatFreddy
June 30 2011, 04:00:09 PM
That's why you save up time units and have the veterans in the back - to shoot infested rookies in the back of the head before the turn ends.

Mona
June 30 2011, 04:38:26 PM
note to self: do not spread troops out in a convenient daisy chain in terror missions with Cryssalids.

I just lost an entire team in like 3 turns :facepalm:

PsiAmps best amps.

Helicity
July 1 2011, 02:15:24 PM
That's why you save up time units and have the veterans in the back - to shoot infested rookies in the back of the head before the turn ends.

It went more like this:

-spread out to scout carefully and so there is room to GTFO in case a cryssalid shows up
-press end turn
-4 cryssalids pop out of various buildings, corners and other spots where i could not see yet and rape everyone.

I fucking love this game. in a weird sort of way.

Hatepeace Lovewar
July 1 2011, 03:27:11 PM
There is nothing wrong with releasing FPS version of xcom, if done correctly it could be epic, however this just looks terrible.

Xennith
July 1 2011, 03:40:15 PM
Couldnt you just prime a grenade for 0 turns and leave it on your belt so that if you got killed it took out every fucker around you? Its been a long time, but I remember using psiamp to mindcontrol aliens, exploit my way into their inventory and drop grenades at their feet.

Ombey
July 1 2011, 04:02:43 PM
Going to buy it off Steam tonight and waste the weekend away. I always loved TFTD too, as the ship terror raids were proper hard, so many nooks and crannys, was very nerve-wracking. Also, fuck Lobstermen.

re. Laser Squad Nemesis, played it for a cpl of years, was brilliant. It's been allowed to die painfully, Julian Gollop just left it to rot which is a massive shame as the game had (still has) huge potential. The forum is still active to a point, as ppl are hoping he'll come back and allow people to play it for free as opposed to not at all in it's current state.

Kalil
July 13 2011, 04:18:53 AM
Head guy at 2K is a fuckwit:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/221046/2k-boss-strategy-games-are-just-not-contemporary/

I use the example of music artists. Look at someone old-school like Ray Charles. If he made music today, it would still be Ray Charles but he would probably do it more in the style of Kanye West.

Gah. Doesn't necessarily mean that XCOM: The Mutation will be a bad game though...:stillholdingouthope:

Mona
July 13 2011, 05:57:45 AM
Couldnt you just prime a grenade for 0 turns and leave it on your belt so that if you got killed it took out every fucker around you? Its been a long time, but I remember using psiamp to mindcontrol aliens, exploit my way into their inventory and drop grenades at their feet.

It was better to just drop everything, set them in nice line, stun officers and kill rest with laser pistols.

firefoxx80
July 13 2011, 11:45:04 AM

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/221046/2k-boss-strategy-games-are-just-not-contemporary/

Gah. Doesn't necessarily mean that XCOM: The Mutation will be a bad game though...:stillholdingouthope:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why people pirate video games.

Pacefalm
July 27 2011, 12:49:00 AM

Wait, 2K games were also the publishers of Duke Nukem: Forever right?
Yeah, it's plain and obvious that the "adaptation to the modern gamer market" is a formula for success :psyduck:

Maximillian
July 27 2011, 05:59:19 AM
I always used suicide bombers in UFO:Enemy Unknown. If I got a guy with 10 Bravery or really shit skills they'd get a stun rod and a demo pack. Set demo pack timer to zero, charge aliens and start zapping. If the guy gets shot down BOOM.

Playing atm and still have disasters even when fully tanked up. Simple mission to a landed Muton Small Scout (needed cash as building defenses on all bases) in a Skyranger. The Mutons - all 6 of them - were in a rough circle around the ship. The first 8 guys all got killed just getting out of the ship.

Considering the date the original XCom is hard to beat. A game that combines Strategic and Tactical battle, base building, research, a real day/night cycle, destructable terrain, passable AI, op fire, and a RP element with rank and stat advancement and you have a game that so many modern games can't reach the complexity of.

Jeats
July 27 2011, 09:12:01 AM
I always used suicide bombers in UFO:Enemy Unknown. If I got a guy with 10 Bravery or really shit skills they'd get a stun rod and a demo pack. Set demo pack timer to zero, charge aliens and start zapping. If the guy gets shot down BOOM.

Playing atm and still have disasters even when fully tanked up. Simple mission to a landed Muton Small Scout (needed cash as building defenses on all bases) in a Skyranger. The Mutons - all 6 of them - were in a rough circle around the ship. The first 8 guys all got killed just getting out of the ship.

Considering the date the original XCom is hard to beat. A game that combines Strategic and Tactical battle, base building, research, a real day/night cycle, destructable terrain, passable AI, op fire, and a RP element with rank and stat advancement and you have a game that so many modern games can't reach the complexity of.

Hell, I just want the first two game remade with the only change being scaling up the resolution of the game display to match modern computers. I can remember playing this game when i was like 13 when it first came out, and I wasted so must time on it. :)

Chrien
July 27 2011, 03:53:20 PM
^ This so much. The biggest frustration with X-Com is the tiny dosbox window I have to play it in and the slowness of playing on Alien Base/Battleship missions. The clunky UI/Graphics/Interface is what puts people off playing it, but is probably pretty easy to fix. Sure at the same time they could put things like saving equipment layouts, more than 80 items on missions etc, but everyone whose gone and done their own X-Com project has tried to make it a sequel rather than a simple remake.

Raimo
July 27 2011, 04:26:17 PM
So bad

balistic void
July 28 2011, 10:23:24 PM
XCOM Util can fix all that stuff like saving equipment layouts. Not optional. If you don't use XCOM Util you are playing on beginner anyway because of bug.

Leviathan
July 28 2011, 10:43:42 PM
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why people pirate video games.

duke nukem, 30, k.

I remember xcom from my bro- i never got too into them whilst respecting their epicness :D

I much prefered SWAT 2 tbh

Chrien
July 29 2011, 01:29:34 PM
XCOM Util can fix all that stuff like saving equipment layouts. Not optional. If you don't use XCOM Util you are playing on beginner anyway because of bug.

Yer XCOM util is great but still everytime you put a new soldier in you have to redo his equipment. My point was really that the game is great as is just needs tweaking and subtle improvements, not some radical redesign which turns it into a fps :)

balistic void
July 29 2011, 01:33:38 PM
XCOM Util has a tweak that lets you save default equipment. Try it again, maybe it only got added in a newer version or something.

Selb
July 29 2011, 01:40:43 PM
lobstermen are dead easy after you get the vibro blade/thermic lance. the hard part is getting a land-based mission with calcinites, as i seem to remember they only turned up in the early stages.

when i first encountered a calcinite, i thought it was one of my soldiers because they have the same sprite/model as the basic plastic-armoured soldier. oops

Kalil
May 13 2013, 05:18:27 AM
Did a forum search and went back 4 pages in this sub-forum but didnt find this mentioned so apologies if I missed it despite that.

Anyways version .9 of OpenXcom is out.

http://openxcom.org/

RPS article.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/07/old-faithful-openxcom-is-near-complete/#more-152241

Differences to the original

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Differences_to_X-COM_(OpenXcom)

Basically its a 6.5mb download that is an .exe file. It installed to steam without hassle and I started playing moments later. Im loving it so far. It saves soldiers loadouts, it changes the way you command soldiers to move in the battle screen by first showing the path to where you clicked for them to move and then you confirm it. It has fixed a huge amount of the bugs from the old game....just so much more. Widescreen support, resolution, do you want to design your first base rather than have the default design? Sure, thats possible.

Kalil
May 14 2013, 04:05:00 AM
Hell, I just want the first two game remade with the only change being scaling up the resolution of the game display to match modern computers. I can remember playing this game when i was like 13 when it first came out, and I wasted so must time on it. :)

I can't believe none of you sons of bitches have reacted with downright fucking glee at the release of OpenXcom. Or are you all too busy playing...

Dark 0men
May 17 2013, 04:20:55 AM
Right-click opens doors.

Pffft easy mode for pussies, assuming it doesn't trigger reaction fire.

Kalil
May 17 2013, 05:15:02 AM
Not entirely sure yet but suspect not. On the other hand the AI has been beefed up and there is an option to make the even more 'sneakier' in the advanced gameplay options.

Steph
May 17 2013, 07:15:02 AM

I can't believe none of you sons of bitches have reacted with downright fucking glee at the release of OpenXcom. Or are you all too busy playing...

The latter, definitely.

Also I reject the notion that the Heavy Laser and Plasma Rifle are crap just because the Heavy Plasma outperforms them in raw damage. Raise your hand if you issue Plasma Rifles to your elite snipers.

o/

Frontliners get the heavy plasma, and the power armor. New recruits get heavy lasers(and no armor). This policy is a lot easier now that OpenXcom seems to have adjusted the alien loadouts to not just spam heavy plasmas on literally everything after Month 3.

How the fuck do Sectoids even carry those things. Do they even lift.

EDIT: Also auto-selling perma/building options are win.

Kalil
May 17 2013, 09:57:21 AM

The latter, definitely.

Also I reject the notion that the Heavy Laser and Plasma Rifle are crap just because the Heavy Plasma outperforms them in raw damage. Raise your hand if you issue Plasma Rifles to your elite snipers.

o/

Frontliners get the heavy plasma, and the power armor. New recruits get heavy lasers(and no armor). This policy is a lot easier now that OpenXcom seems to have adjusted the alien loadouts to not just spam heavy plasmas on literally everything after Month 3.

I thought Heavy Plasma was as accurate as Plasma but did more damage while weighing the same? Has OpenXcom changed this? Am about to start researching plasma weaps tonight.

Steph
May 17 2013, 10:25:04 AM

The latter, definitely.

o/

I thought Heavy Plasma was as accurate as Plasma but did more damage while weighing the same? Has OpenXcom changed this? Am about to start researching plasma weaps tonight.

OpenXCom didn't change the plasma stats AFAIK, people in the Xcom community finally learned how to do math. Heavy plasma aimed shot is more accurate (base 110% acc), but plasma rifle has the most accurate snap shot. Since reaction shots are snap shots, this matters more for snipers. If you have to routinely use aimed shots to hit things, your soldiers Accuracy sucks.

A crouched soldier snap-shooting a plasma rifle uses ~98% of its accuracy stat and can make three shots. Hence why my elite snipers (with 100% accuracy) use that, while the regular ground-pounders might actually hit things with the heavy's 110% aimed. Not that my rookies are out there on the front lines to do anything but spot targets. Let's just say that anyone who survives their first sortie and gets promoted to Squaddie is automatically issued power armour and reassigned to frontline duty.

Kalil
May 17 2013, 11:32:09 AM
Ah interesting. OK that will require a minor rethink. I am using the following categories for soldiers that I hire, first only 40+ morale. Then they must fit one of the following categories:

Scout = 50+ Reactions but nothing else (Laser pistol w/smoke, prox grenades and a motion sensor)
Sniper = 50+ reactions and 60+ Firing Accuracy (Just Rifle and maybe a grenade or medkit)
Rifleman = 60+ Firing Accuracy (Laser Rifle, medkit, grenade or prox grenade)
Heavy = 50+ Strength 60+ Firing Accuracy (doesn't matter, dont have one yet...maybe I should lower the required attributes...)

So just got lasers and personal armour so far, about to get power armour then will research plasma rifles.

Question, if a soldier dies you lose his armour too right?

lubica
May 17 2013, 12:35:04 PM
Figured I'd repost this from the 1st page, insane laughter 101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd7zLzi358I

Steph
May 17 2013, 11:08:58 PM
Ah interesting. OK that will require a minor rethink. I am using the following categories for soldiers that I hire, first only 40+ morale. Then they must fit one of the following categories:

Scout = 50+ Reactions but nothing else (Laser pistol w/smoke, prox grenades and a motion sensor)
Sniper = 50+ reactions and 60+ Firing Accuracy (Just Rifle and maybe a grenade or medkit)
Rifleman = 60+ Firing Accuracy (Laser Rifle, medkit, grenade or prox grenade)
Heavy = 50+ Strength 60+ Firing Accuracy (doesn't matter, dont have one yet...maybe I should lower the required attributes...)

So just got lasers and personal armour so far, about to get power armour then will research plasma rifles.

Question, if a soldier dies you lose his armour too right?

Correct.

Don't discount the stock heavy weapons, the Heavy/Autocannon and rocket launcher still pack a respectable punch in the mid to late game. Heavy laser/plasma might beat them for direct-fire damage but they can't benefit from explosives or incendiary shots. I suggest you issue the Heavy Laser to your "riflemen"(who will benefit from the increased damage over the rifle and not care about the reduced accuracy at range), and your Heavy with rockets/cannons and later blaster bombs.

In fact I suggest you issue stock heavy weapons to all of your Rookies, especially rocket launchers(but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD keep them unloaded). Rocketeers want to be some distance away from the Xcom blob for obvious reasons, and this synergizes well with the Scout role traditionally filled by rookies. Plus it trains strength, which means if they survive they can carry more gear.

EDIT: Since you've got lazorz this is a moot point but DON'T EVER USE the standard rifle. The pistol is better in every way and only does a tiny bit less damage.

There are actually some legitimate roles it can fill, but the pistol is better for your frontline guys.

Steph
May 18 2013, 12:46:31 AM
Oh also:

Weapons with an Auto fire mode have a better chance of hitting once on their three-shot bursts than they do hitting on a Snap shot. Unless you're concerned about collateral damage or ammo convervation, you should always use Auto in favor of Snap. This is most significant on the Laser Pistol with its unlimited ammo and obscene(4!) number of Auto bursts per turn. That's twelve friggin shots versus 5 Snap shots!

An Auto-firing Plasma pistol hits once per burst only 5% less than it hits on an Aimed shot

The Plasma Rifle is the only exception to this because of its unusually high Snap accuracy. A Plasma rifle hits on one Snap shot slightly more often(3%) than it hits once on a three-shot Auto burst.

I...might have made a spreadsheet.

Kalil
May 18 2013, 05:03:06 AM
Some legit info there, thanks.

Know about auto-shot and use that as default, tend not to use weapons without it like the Heavy Cannon so I always go with the auto-cannon on one person but then use the Rocket HWP instead of the launcher. Did not realise that reaction shots were calculated on the snap shot percentage, good to know.

Given your advice Im toying with either fitting my scouts with heavy lasers, rocket launchers or pistol/stun rod combo. I havent gone to stun any aliens but have alien containment. On the other hand I have a lot of other priorities to research at the moment. Well have 3 bases in addition to my starting base and the one in the USA is ready to upgrade to a secondary main so will have two seperate insertion teams to work out what feels best.

Ophichius
June 6 2013, 01:54:03 AM
Stun rods are basically for situations where you've IDed a high-priority target (navigator, sectoid leader, etc.), and don't care if half your rookies die to secure it. Randomly stunning everything is just going to lead to losing a lot of rookies.

I'm a big fan of HE on all my guys, due to the fact that HE will clear a lot of nastier terrain tiles in one go. Namely orchards and those two story farmhouses. Grenade the roof, chuck HE on the second floor, the entire second floor is now clear.

Lasers are fantastic for simply chewing up cover with unlimited ammo as well.

Incendiaries are great at night, and for blockading areas, as the AI won't path through fire. Heavy rockets should be your default issued rockets though. Also note that you can issue a lot more ammo than you can use, and leave the extra reloads sitting on the floor of the skyranger, if you're getting really rocket happy (Sectoid terror missions are a good place to get rocket happy. Fucking cyberdiscs.)

-O

Steph
June 6 2013, 02:54:54 AM
One thing I recently discovered is that explosions in OpenXCOM are three dimensional. So now you can lob HE/rockets at the ground floor of a barn and level the whole friggin structure.

As for stun rods, I give 'em to all my rookies/scouts since they're the most likely to bump into an alien in close quarters. Given the opportunity I'll happily stun and capture everything on the map.

Dark 0men
October 20 2013, 02:55:01 AM
haha so many fucking bads post videos of playing xcom on less than superhuman difficulty

FatFreddy
October 20 2013, 03:00:06 AM
One thing I recently discovered is that explosions in OpenXCOM are three dimensional. So now you can lob HE/rockets at the ground floor of a barn and level the whole friggin structure.

say wat

Steph
October 20 2013, 03:45:48 AM

say wat

Explosions in vanillia XCOM are flat. In OpenXCOM, explosions propagate through adjacent Z-levels.

FatFreddy
October 20 2013, 10:18:09 AM

say wat

Explosions in vanillia XCOM are flat. In OpenXCOM, explosions propagate through adjacent Z-levels.

I know, thus my reaction.

Also, tell me about OpenXCOM. I saw something about it somewhere else two days ago and had a quick peek at their website - is it fully functional or still a work in progress?

Dark 0men
October 20 2013, 10:25:23 AM

say wat

I know, thus my reaction.

Also, tell me about OpenXCOM. I saw something about it somewhere else two days ago and had a quick peek at their website - is it fully functional or still a work in progress?

It's fully playable. Grab a nightly build, the release is a little old.

Kilbourne
October 20 2013, 10:27:48 AM

say wat

http://segafans.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/mother-of-god.jpg

Steph
June 21 2014, 09:41:59 AM
Bump because OpenXCOM is Version 1.0 as of last week and I hadn't bumped it yet.

http://youtu.be/GL2x-Sz9Oa8

Did you SEE the globe pathing? Even Firaxis couldn't get Great Circle pathfinding right(which is why sometimes you'd get Skyrangers teleporting between the north and south poles).

Ophichius
June 21 2014, 11:05:33 AM

What's missing from the release that a nightly will have?

-O

Steph
June 21 2014, 09:53:43 PM

What's missing from the release that a nightly will have?

-O

Depends. Are you talking about the release build a year ago(the post you quoted), or the current release build?

Ophichius
June 21 2014, 10:01:43 PM
Whoops. Current release.

-O

Steph
June 22 2014, 12:17:55 AM
Probably nothing but minor tweaks. Current release is feature complete, which is to say everything planned to be in is in. Nightly builds will probably just be hotfixes to fringe issues.

Kilabi
June 22 2014, 02:22:08 PM
If have been failcascading into two terrormissions now.

First had me unload into 3 aliens, 2 of the them 2 legged CC beasts. Lost everything to my RL girl panicking in the back and blowing up my ship with in incendiary rocket.

New game:
First mission overall a terror already in south africa. At least I got out of the ship before losing 2 of my scouts. Then a alien hover tank shows up and mows down my 2 heavy weapons. Scout satchel suicide mission manages nearly to take him down but a sectoid throws a nade towards my transport and clears out all survivors.

New game incoming again. God I love this.

depili
June 22 2014, 02:29:08 PM
You usually can't take on all the missions and sometimes have to resort to the tried and tested "yeah, there are aliens there, lets go home" tactic of dealing with terror missions :) (at least in the original you took less PR damage when you went into the terror mission for one turn and aborted than not going there at all).

Steph
June 22 2014, 06:45:31 PM
First had me unload into 3 aliens, 2 of the them 2 legged CC beasts. Lost everything to my RL girl panicking in the back and blowing up my ship with in incendiary rocket.

Scrub. Keep your RPG launchers unloaded until the turn they need to fire. Everybody knows that.

But yeah, what depili said. This is not XCOM 2012; you are neither expected nor capable of responding to and completing every possible mission. The aliens will, on balance, always come out ahead. You can't win the war conventionally.

The whole rest of the game is basically stalling for time to research the techs needed for the final mission.

Kilabi
June 22 2014, 07:20:45 PM

Scrub. Keep your RPG launchers unloaded until the turn they need to fire. Everybody knows that.

But yeah, what depili said. This is not XCOM 2012; you are neither expected nor capable of responding to and completing every possible mission. The aliens will, on balance, always come out ahead. You can't win the war conventionally.

The whole rest of the game is basically stalling for time to research the techs needed for the final mission.

Yup just diving into the game again. Not yet on ironman so mostly just trying to get into fights and get used to the mechanics again. Freaking PSI is already pissing me off, think I am going to mod it out or something.

depili
June 23 2014, 11:58:06 AM
TBH in the end-game on vanilla x-com the PSI will make it easymode, I have done the final mission many times without shooting or really moving (only need to spot one alien at the start for the mind-control chain of victory).