Pattern
June 21 2011, 02:18:03 PM
It does look amazing tbh.

Frools
June 21 2011, 02:33:10 PM
meego :|

Pattern
June 21 2011, 02:51:33 PM
Best looking OS atm. Hope some of the features of both the hardware design and OS make it into the windows phone version.

Frools
June 21 2011, 03:06:46 PM
you care far too much about appearance :p

Pattern
June 21 2011, 03:13:14 PM
Normal people care about how their consumer devices look like? :P

I don't even look at hardware spec's on android devices anymore, developers program for the lowest common denominator and there hasn't really been any changes to the underlying hardware that has really stood out afaik.

Yes, meego is a dead platform but for what it's worth, but from a designers standpoint, it's a good effort.

Frools
June 21 2011, 06:20:19 PM

you're a graphics guy, I dispute that your opinion on this factor is any more 'normal' than mine as a code/technical guy!

Pattern
June 21 2011, 06:32:45 PM

you're a graphics guy, I dispute that your opinion on this factor is any more 'normal' than mine as a code/technical guy!
If you want to argue that the N9 doesn't look good, go for it.
If you want to argue about how product design isn't important for devices that are no longer really differentiated by hardware alone (they all pretty much share) then... :facepalm:

Isn't the most important aspect, but a good looking phone is a good looking phone tbf

Frools
June 21 2011, 06:44:26 PM
If you want to argue that the N9 doesn't look good, go for it.
If you want to argue about how product design isn't important for devices that are no longer really differentiated by hardware alone (they all pretty much share) then... :facepalm:

Isn't the most important aspect, but a good looking phone is a good looking phone tbf
im not arguing either of those points but the only 2 things you came up with for the N9 are 'it looks nice' and 'it has the best looking OS' :p
personally im kinda ambivalent about the N9s design, it certainly doesnt look ugly but lack of hardware buttons makes me sad tbh

also i disagree that phones arent differentiated by hardware anymore, when looking at phones theres a whole bunch of things that are more important than how shiny the box is
the current generation have:
3 different screen techs (lcd, super duper LCDs and OLED) - theres quite a big difference between these tbh
3g/4g - obvious
form factor ( 3"/4"/physical kb) - some people even prefer the shitty old bb style portrait qwerty keyboard bullshit, fuck knows why but they do!
3d - a gimmick but people fucking love gimmicks right?
3 different cpus (tegra, dual-core snapdragon and whatever the fuck samsungs dual core is called) - granted these are pretty similar and irrelevant to normal users
locked/unlocked bootloaders (ok not exactly hardware but close enough) - again, irrelevant to 'normal' users but super important for quite a lot of people
3rd party skin (sense/motoblur/touchjizz) - probably about as important as the product design to a lot of people

given that you cant pick and choose components for a phone like you can for a PC there are many many things more important than the design when choosing a model imo

Pattern
June 21 2011, 06:56:51 PM
Yes, I said it looked nice because that was my first impression and the only thing about the N9 that stood out as news worthy. (because we all didn't know it was going to have meego amirite?)

Beyond Cost, battery life, OS, and how pretty it is (yes, which includes form factor and all the other stuff) and can I make calls and do all the other cool stuff my friends phone can do, normal (as in not the neck beards who overclock there phones) people don't give a shit about the internal details as long as the experience is better or comparable with the alternatives.

And yes, how shit looks and feels is important, from women to cars - it's BECOMING more important on mobile devices because casual games and low intensity apps dominate the platform. If/When that changes, hardware will matter again, until then - lol.

Navigator Six
June 21 2011, 10:40:38 PM
As soon as they put WP7 on one of those suckers I'm in. Preferably on the N8.

balistic void
June 21 2011, 11:51:50 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4436079/images/not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Navigator Six
June 23 2011, 01:40:23 PM
Hey, wouldja look at that: N9 + WP7. :companioncube:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/nokia-sea-ray-running-windows-phone-mango-front-on.jpg

Source (vid of Elop demoing that sucker): http://www.technet.hu/telefon/20110624/exkluziv_video_elop_bemutatja_az_elso_windowsos_no kiat/

Do want.

Pattern
June 23 2011, 03:57:23 PM
Just saw that here - http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/23/noki ... -ray-elop/ (http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/23/nokia-windows-phone-7-mango-sea-ray-elop/)

:ohnoes:

Hast
June 23 2011, 04:55:05 PM
but wp7 is all kinds of fail. :/

Spaztick
June 24 2011, 12:18:48 AM
So since my thread got more responses than this shit thread this is obviously the megathread. Leaning toward Droid X2, don't care about all the good stuff, are there any bad?