PDA

View Full Version : S6E21 - Every Little Thing She Does [Fujichrome Embed]

Nordstern
September 24 2016, 02:15:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6APxGbJ5jk

Going halfway this week. You get your thread, but only a teaser.

edit: came up with an embed title, we'll do Verite's next week

Verite Rendition
September 24 2016, 02:59:53 AM
We'll go dutch. You provide the thread and teaser, and I'll provide the embed episode and peanut gallery commentary.:p

As for a witty embed phrase: "Fantasound Embed"

MassiveDamage
September 24 2016, 10:28:14 PM
Starlight's instructions reminded me far too much of learning programming. So many obvious yet vague and unbounded instructions, given to something that will just blindly execute them.

Nordstern
September 24 2016, 10:39:03 PM
and I'll provide the embed episode and peanut gallery commentary.:p

https://i.imgur.com/ssBZhCs.gif

Verite Rendition
September 24 2016, 10:48:50 PM
and I'll provide the embed episode and peanut gallery commentary.:p

https://i.imgur.com/ssBZhCs.gifYeah yeah, don't get your saddle in a bunch.:p

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ukzko

I'll be back with the peanut gallery commentary later once I've had a chance to watch it.

Verite Rendition
September 25 2016, 01:17:11 PM
Peanut gallery commentary

Well, this is a bottle episode if there ever was one. Everything takes place at the castle (which is actually kind of nice), and the only VAs are the Mane 6 and Starlight Shimmer, so there were no guest VAs.

The overall plot isn't anything special, but it's enjoyable enough. If nothing else, this episode cements Starlight as an even more literal and slightly more dangerous Twilight Sparkle. Replace Celestia with TS, crank up the misuse of magic, and you get Starlight. Then again, even Twilight seemed all too amused by her friends suffering from magical hangovers...:o

Otherwise it felt like this episode had a lot of callbacks, which seemed a bit odd. AJ in particular, when she wasn't spouting mixed up movie quotes (which were good, I must admit), made a few different references, including the SSCS6K. Normally this wouldn't be a bad thing, but it also felt a bit disconnected.

Also, I can't recall which episode "it's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake" comes from. It's bugging me a bit.

I'm also trying to figure out what the spells were that Starlight used on the others. They were a compel spell, a persuasion spell, and I can't figure out what "kojaria" is meant to be. Edit: Got it, it's meant to be cajole.

Oh, and does anyone know if Celestia's name ever been used in vain before? TS dropped "What in the name of Celestia" which seems fine on the surface. But then it occurred to me that I can't recall the show ever doing that. Rather, that seems to be something the viewers do.

Finally, Starlight has a suitably decorated room. Note the Trixie picture and the equals sign.

http://i.imgur.com/bzDsM1F.jpg

Evelgrivion
September 25 2016, 02:27:22 PM
Also, I can't recall which episode "it's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake" comes from. It's bugging me a bit.

It's a reference to the Icelandic kid's show Lazytown, of all things.

I'm also trying to figure out what the spells were that Starlight used on the others. They were a compel spell, a persuasion spell, and I can't figure out what "kojaria" is meant to be.

Related question, why does Equestria have multiple authors of mind control spells? :psyduck:

Oh, and does anyone know if Celestia's name ever been used in vain before? TS dropped "What in the name of Celestia" which seems fine on the surface. But then it occurred to me that I can't recall the show ever doing that. Rather, that seems to be something the viewers do.

This first happened in Sisterhoove's Social - "As Celestia is my witness, I shall never be sisterless again!"

Nu11u5
September 25 2016, 06:29:42 PM

This is my jam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5KxZ5Lc_YA

This first happened in Sisterhoove's Social - "As Celestia is my witness, I shall never be sisterless again!"

I swear that it's happened more frequently than that: "for Celestia's sake", "in the name of Celestial", etc - but that may just be fanworks worming through my head.

Otherwise it felt like this episode had a lot of callbacks, which seemed a bit odd. AJ in particular, when she wasn't spouting mixed up movie quotes (which were good, I must admit), made a few different references, including the SSCS6K. Normally this wouldn't be a bad thing, but it also felt a bit disconnected.

This comes down to Mike Vogel's writing. He tends to be pull more from pop culture. Also, remember that he's not a writer by trade.

Well, this is a bottle episode if there ever was one. Everything takes place at the castle (which is actually kind of nice), and the only VAs are the Mane 6 and Starlight Shimmer, so there were no guest VAs.

Does the concept of a bottle episode apply the same to animation? Sure it's less work for casting but we saw a lot of new backdrops for the castle even though it's an old location.

Verite Rendition
September 25 2016, 09:28:52 PM

It's a reference to the Icelandic kid's show Lazytown, of all things.Oh right, that screwball show that came up with "You Are a Pirate". Well then, that's an unusual reference to throw in.:o

I'm also trying to figure out what the spells were that Starlight used on the others. They were a compel spell, a persuasion spell, and I can't figure out what "kojaria" is meant to be.

Related question, why does Equestria have multiple authors of mind control spells? :psyduck:Unicorns have lots of free time on their hands.

Does the concept of a bottle episode apply the same to animation? Sure it's less work for casting but we saw a lot of new backdrops for the castle even though it's an old location.Technically no, it doesn't. But this episode features all of the hallmarks of a bottle episode, which is interesting and unusual for an animated show. Animated shows don't have to do bottle episodes, so you usually don't see something like this.

Nordstern
September 26 2016, 03:19:35 AM
Unicorns have lots of free time on their hooves.
ftfy