PDA

View Full Version : Thread: S05E08 - The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone [HD Embed]

Takeshi Nuwen
May 23 2015, 06:35:08 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2r7acx

Rainbow Dash's Twilight imitation!
Griffon Grunkle Stan!
Worldbuilding!
Flashbacks!
Redemption!

Verite Rendition
May 23 2015, 10:27:43 PM
Humm. I never was all that impressed with The Griffon Brush-Off, so I suppose that bleeds over to this. It's not a bad episode, but the final act lets it down.

It starts off really strong. World building is always great, but more than that I like how it was presented. Unconventionally animated flashbacks, with an interesting pseudo-Moroccan/Mongolian blend, Pinkie and Dash trekking up the mountains. And the middle act with Pinkie annoying Gilda while Dash goes off and plays Daring Do was well done too.

But the final act falls flat. I get what they were trying to do - have Gilda pick friendship over gold - but the payoff just isn't there? Griffonstone is still a waste, Gilda getting a friend doesn't fix that.

Evelgrivion
May 24 2015, 12:36:38 AM
Humm. I never was all that impressed with The Griffon Brush-Off, so I suppose that bleeds over to this. It's not a bad episode, but the final act lets it down.

It starts off really strong. World building is always great, but more than that I like how it was presented. Unconventionally animated flashbacks, with an interesting pseudo-Moroccan/Mongolian blend, Pinkie and Dash trekking up the mountains. And the middle act with Pinkie annoying Gilda while Dash goes off and plays Daring Do was well done too.

But the final act falls flat. I get what they were trying to do - have Gilda pick friendship over gold - but the payoff just isn't there? Griffonstone is still a waste, Gilda getting a friend doesn't fix that.

Kinda with you on this one. On the other hand, bottle episodes have always taken time to grow on me, so maybe this one will be the same. Still, the whole reconciliation just did not have the weight or impact I was hoping for.

Verite Rendition
May 24 2015, 12:47:21 AM
I suppose it's too much of a mixed message for the core audience, but would it be a problem if the reformed Griffins were both friendly and greedy, ala Scrooge McDuck? It would create a whole bunch of problems in this episode as-written, but perhaps it would have made for a better ending. Gilda gets the statue and saves the ponies, with friendship being the catalyst that helped her get it back?

Evelgrivion
May 24 2015, 12:56:53 AM
I suppose it's too much of a mixed message for the core audience, but would it be a problem if the reformed Griffins were both friendly and greedy, ala Scrooge McDuck? It would create a whole bunch of problems in this episode as-written, but perhaps it would have made for a better ending. Gilda gets the statue and saves the ponies, with friendship being the catalyst that helped her get it back?

My Little Pony: Nationalism is Magic? :p

Nordstern
May 24 2015, 03:35:41 AM
Gummy falling over reminded me of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

And prehensile feathers appear again. I sense a meme coming.

Nu11u5
May 24 2015, 02:27:54 PM
https://www.twitter.com/KeatingRogers/status/602346851531034624

I wonder if this format of an episode would have done better written by someone more experienced with adventure arcs.

Am I the only one who thought Gilda's "scones" looked like owl pellets? I may have gagged a little.

Also, it's interesting that gryphons are canonically portrayed as practical refuges from a fallen militaristic empire willing to do anything for money. Also lots of names starting with "G". Gawdyna Grimfeathers and her band of Talons are a plausable legacy.

Verite Rendition
May 24 2015, 08:58:28 PM
I wonder if this format of an episode would have done better written by someone more experienced with adventure arcs.Conversely I hope this doesn't mean episode 100 is less than it could have been as well.

Am I the only one who thought Gilda's "scones" looked like owl pellets? I may have gagged a little.No! I get they were going with poorly baked (what's with baked bads this season, anyhow?) but those looked especially nasty.:(

Evelgrivion
May 24 2015, 09:56:31 PM
http://derpicdn.net/img/view/2015/5/24/903064.png

Nordstern
May 24 2015, 10:59:13 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/QuarkDS9.jpg

Quark approved of this episode until the moral came along.

Nu11u5
May 25 2015, 06:25:17 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/QuarkDS9.jpg

Quark approved of this episode until the moral came along.
Rule of Acquisition #121: "Everything is for sale, even friendship."

We didn't see how that fully played out. Maybe Gilda has a business plan going.

SkyRocket
May 27 2015, 07:06:18 AM
Still catching up with season 5

Pinkie and RD sounded as natural and sensible as two American sorority girls visiting Somalia to spread the Magic of Democracy, still and awesome episode.
on the other hand if they had just busted into song it would just be bad taste and offensive

Also, Evel's 4chan post kinda blew my mind and put Gilda in a whole new light