PDA

View Full Version : [Devblog] Developer Spotlight: CCP Bigbird - Daniel Wu

QuackBot
March 11 2015, 11:00:03 AM
http://failheap-challenge.com//web.ccpgamescdn.com/dust/news.control/66993/1/CCPBigBird.jpg Today we are featuring another member of the DUST 514 Development Team here in CCP Shanghai. CCP Bigbird has been with us for a while, and is playing, testing and building DUST 514 within CCP Time Runner (http://dust514.com/news/blog/2014/06/developer-spotlight-ccp-time-runner-bing-xi/)'s team. What is your official job title with CCP? My official title right now is Test Lead of DUST 514! What does the job entail? Quite a bit currently, because I am working cross projects. For DUST 514, I prepare release development processes, and I monitor and maintain build clusters (testing areas) for the internal teams. I also code tools for teams and features for you, the players. When I took on the role of Test Lead, I added in responsibility of the build quantity - I review the full process from code submission to the final build. What were you up to before you got the job with CCP? My first job was a game tester, working for Ubisoft Shanghai. I still remember those games I worked through repeatedly, and they were both quite boring and fun at the same time. At that time, I started to learn programming as well. Before being a CCPer, I was a web programmer for two years and test lead for one year. My beginning at CCP was just a tester, but I was very happy. I liked playing EVE Online, and the company looked very cool to me, so who cares about the beginning, right? How did you get a job with CCP? Can you talk about the process? I got a call one day from my current boss while I was looking for a job, then I attended the interview. There was no test, just a few questions from him. After that, I got to see the project manager of EVE China, and had a very nice meeting with him and my boss. However, it was not over - after a few weeks they asked me to come to the office again to meet with the whole QA team! That one was tough. Around six people kept asking me questions, and so far I could only remember the jokes we were saying to each other, and then the same day, I got the contract. That was in July 2009. What’s your favorite part about working at CCP? The fact that you will never be limited by the company as long as you want to learn more than your work requires. CCP gives you a lot of opportunity to grow your career! What’s the biggest misconception players have about what you do that you’d like to clear up? I don’t think there is one, because I am not so well known amongst the community, yet! My job is to make the game run smooth and fun. I am everywhere within the game, you just cannot see me most of the time due to my incognito mode! ;) And now the personal stuff - if there was one thing you’d be doing outside of your current job, what would it be? I always wanted to learn to cook. I would like to make plenty of food for my family and have the satisfaction of seeing them enjoy my work by eating it! :) When you’re not on the job, what do you enjoy doing? I read books during my daily commute between office and home. For vacations I like to go hiking! Being close to nature is very exciting to me. In addition, I am playing quite a bit of MMO games. I am not a big mobile gamer though. Most of the games on my phone are more for research purposes and to stay up to date with mobile gaming trends! :) What are some of your favorite games, both past and present? Right now, I am playing World of Warcraft quite a bit. I am also a big fan of the Monster Hunter series. Old games like Command and Conquer, Heroes III on PC, and Japanese RPGs on PSP and PSV. Plenty of gaming happening all the time! What’s something that people don’t know about you? I'm a bit out of practice now, but I used to be an extremely fast runner. If you could use any weapon in DUST 514 to make a sandwich, what would it be and why? Hmm… a grenade is the best choice, I think. It could be fully wrapped into a sandwich, and you know what could happen if someone bites into it. ;)

original link (http://dust514.com/news/blog/2015/03/developer-spotlight-ccp-bigbird/)