PDA

View Full Version : hate to be a nerd but

RazoR
February 8 2015, 02:06:15 AM
wouldn't multiple airlocks make more sense and be cooler than magical blue forcefields or is this another atavism from old elite?

general +1 fred is a go

Lana Torrin
February 8 2015, 05:21:40 AM
I dunno. Magic blue forcefield has the advantage that you don't need to wait for a door to open and can't derp in to the door, damaging it...

RazoR
February 8 2015, 05:56:52 AM
I dunno. Magic blue forcefield has the advantage that you don't need to wait for a door to open and can't derp in to the door, damaging it...Well if docking wasn't this fucking trivial going through airlocks would not be a big downside.

Lana Torrin
February 8 2015, 07:57:00 AM
I dunno. Magic blue forcefield has the advantage that you don't need to wait for a door to open and can't derp in to the door, damaging it...Well if docking wasn't this fucking trivial going through airlocks would not be a big downside.

I duno if they just made the hole a bit bigger you could get 2 or 3 ships through it at the same time.. I never understood why its so fucking small..

Liare
February 8 2015, 09:38:29 AM

I duno if they just made the hole a bit bigger you could get 2 or 3 ships through it at the same time.. I never understood why its so fucking small..larger hole->more power needed to drive the force field

that's the official argument anyway, i think they just like people crashing into things.

RazoR
February 8 2015, 10:31:41 AM

I duno if they just made the hole a bit bigger you could get 2 or 3 ships through it at the same time.. I never understood why its so fucking small..larger hole->more power needed to drive the force field

that's the official argument anyway, i think they just like people crashing into things.

Who doesn't?

I have died 3 times in total i think. And all of them while docking w/o shields, lel.

Now i always fit shields and have 25% thrust bound.

NoirAvlaa
February 8 2015, 10:53:18 AM
It'd make more sense for x style docking imo

Moto G representing

Torashuu
February 8 2015, 11:13:50 AM
If they were sensible all docking points would be on outer skin. So yeah, its to get you to fly through hoops.

Shaikar
February 8 2015, 11:14:00 AM
Magical blue forcefields make much more sense if you have magical blue forcefield technology.
That's a fairly big "if" though.

I enjoy docking at maximum thrust until the last possible moment, mostly after I discovered that crashing into a station at full speed in a viper with 4pip A shields doesn't take your shields down. It makes docking a lot more exciting - though I try not to do it if I see someone else coming in or out. :)

QuackBot
February 8 2015, 01:00:13 PM
Who doesn't?

I have died 3 times in total i think. And all of them while docking w/o shields, lel.

Now i always fit shields and have 25% thrust bound.
And that in a long while.

RazoR
February 8 2015, 02:17:19 PM
Magical blue forcefields make much more sense if you have magical blue forcefield technology.Should use it as the windscreen backup then.
TIL if you turn life support off and then on again oxygen doesn't replenish.

All these little details get in the way of mah immershun.

Kirkland
February 8 2015, 04:10:07 PM
Wait, that magic blue force field is supposed to hold Air inside the station? I've died because my life support expired right as I was touching down on the landing pad inside one of those stations, which doesn't make sense if the air in there is supposed to be breathable.

I had always thought that the blue forcefield things were meant to sync your ship's orientation with the station so that your ship doesn't maintain one orientation while the station continues to spin (which would make docking very difficult).

RazoR
February 8 2015, 04:20:32 PM
Well, there are fucking palm trees on some orbis stations along with open roads and other clearly civilian infrastructure. Also you can see some gas in the hangar seeping from the ceiling. It isn't on outposts.

So, what happens if the bluewall goes suddenly down and there is an Orca flying through it?

tulip
February 8 2015, 05:12:30 PM
Wait, that magic blue force field is supposed to hold Air inside the station? I've died because my life support expired right as I was touching down on the landing pad inside one of those stations, which doesn't make sense if the air in there is supposed to be breathable..

Yes, which is why you can hear announcements once inside because of the atmosphere. You're also mistaken about dying from lack of O2 within the field;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djy83O0nfds#t=671

RazoR
February 9 2015, 02:36:19 AM
What a shit video.

Kirkland
February 9 2015, 10:08:22 PM
Wait, that magic blue force field is supposed to hold Air inside the station? I've died because my life support expired right as I was touching down on the landing pad inside one of those stations, which doesn't make sense if the air in there is supposed to be breathable..

Yes, which is why you can hear announcements once inside because of the atmosphere. You're also mistaken about dying from lack of O2 within the field

While your video clearly shows atmosphere restoring once you get inside the station - I can assure you that I certainly died as soon as I got to my landing pad, because my timer ran out. I don't know if it was a bug or if they patched it.

tulip
February 9 2015, 11:01:46 PM

Yes, which is why you can hear announcements once inside because of the atmosphere. You're also mistaken about dying from lack of O2 within the field

While your video clearly shows atmosphere restoring once you get inside the station - I can assure you that I certainly died as soon as I got to my landing pad, because my timer ran out. I don't know if it was a bug or if they patched it.

Perhaps it was the same sort of bug that occasionally instantly kills players for no reason in stations? Otherwise known as the "And fuck you especially" phenomena.

Lana Torrin
February 10 2015, 04:26:32 AM
Oh lol I only just noticed that without the front windscreen you get no hud. Fuck thats going to make getting to station fun and interesting.

RazoR
February 10 2015, 05:16:02 AM
Only where there's no windscreen.
So, implying collimator rather than a hologram which it is. Another :psyduck: but that's cool so w/e.

Lana Torrin
February 10 2015, 12:13:28 PM
So, implying collimator rather than a hologram which it is. Another :psyduck: but that's cool so w/e.

I assumed it was a display embedded in the glass...

RazoR
February 10 2015, 07:30:45 PM

I assumed it was a display embedded in the glass...

women...