PDA

View Full Version : Ship Thread - Imperial Clipper, BITCHES GOT RANK? BITCHEZ GOT SYTLEZ

Kraken
January 11 2015, 08:21:25 PM
anyone have this yet? http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Clipper

it looks to be an improvement on the type 7 in terms of max capacity, its a bit lighter, SHIT LOAD of shields and armor. any thoughts?

22mil isnt bad at all...

Hoggbert
January 11 2015, 08:25:58 PM
unlocked it, currently working on the cash for one. roughly 6-7 mill away from a basic trading one, meaning b-fit fsd.

Kraken
January 11 2015, 08:38:02 PM
did you get to baron or the station like you enough to get it at a lower rank?

Hoggbert
January 12 2015, 02:39:12 AM
I'm a squire, but so far i've been "able" to buy it at any station i've vistied who has it for sale. Just by doing the odd hauling-mission when trading, bounties and mayeb 30 min total time in a warzone.

Sandzibar
January 12 2015, 11:20:34 AM
Had one for a couple of weeks - didnt bother with a type7. Its an ok trade ship, ok NPC farmer - mine is setup to handle asp and below when I need a break from trade runs. No shield cells and the minimal shield cap puts you at risk when engaging bigger shit.

Wouldnt use it versus players, its gun placement means you can only use gimbles, so its useless vs chaff spam - basically every player with a clue.

Running 240 cargo, 15ly laden jump, 2 large beams, 2 medium derp cannon, KWS, chaff x 2, point defense, A3 shield (same shield HP as a A4 cobra basically).

Sexy ship, but its WIIIIIDDDDE. You can also only use large pads so outposts are a no no.

QuackBot
January 12 2015, 12:00:14 PM
Had one for a couple of weeks - didnt bother with a type7. Its an ok trade ship, ok NPC farmer - mine is setup to handle asp and below when I need a break from trade runs. No shield cells and the minimal shield cap puts you at risk when engaging bigger shit.

Wouldnt use it versus players, its gun placement means you can only use gimbles, so its useless vs chaff spam - basically every player with a clue.

Running 240 cargo, 15ly laden jump, 2 large beams, 2 medium derp cannon, KWS, chaff x 2, point defense, A3 shield (same shield HP as a A4 cobra basically).

Sexy ship, but its WIIIIIDDDDE. You can also only use large pads so outposts are a no no.
Practice setup is going to be terribly familiar. S2 starts after, and the coalition falls to shit.

Kraken
January 12 2015, 06:59:21 PM
thats a disappointing review :/

Saul
January 12 2015, 07:12:40 PM
well now I'm all

http://i.imgur.com/LQHmH.jpg

Sandzibar
January 12 2015, 07:31:40 PM
why?

Its good. its not OP as fuck like the python.

Could be worse.. it could be a dropship. That has no redeeming features AT ALL.

Torashuu
January 12 2015, 08:05:23 PM
But if you can afford one, moving up to a python isn't so far away...

Saul
January 12 2015, 08:42:11 PM
It's all about the bridge. No cargo.

Hoggbert
January 13 2015, 11:50:44 AM
Just got the Clipper, amazing cockpit, better engine noises and it flies much better than the Lakon 7.
A worthwhile stepping stone towards the python.
Since i spent all my pennies for the ship with a trading fit and one cargoload i havent gotten around to test it in combat yet, will report once i do.

Hoggbert
January 14 2015, 02:00:58 PM
Fitted it up with a poor mans combat fit, mostly D and C modules 2 large gimbaling burst lazors and 2 medium gimbaling multicannons and headed to a res site.
I was lucky and got an anaconda belt and the clipper just shreds the anacondas. Made 1.2 mill in little less than an hour, most of the time was spent waiting for the next anaconda to spawn as they died in 10-15 seconds :D
Cobras and below just vaporize in the blink of an eye. I know the fitting tool and ingame stats say it has 2 in agility, but to me it feels not much worse than a cobra, granted more inertia.

Highly enjoy this ship. Good for hauling, good for combat. However you do need gimbaling weapons as the hardpoints are miles apart (very good firing arcs on them), but wouldnt do to well in pvp against anyone with chaff.

Procellus
January 14 2015, 02:27:59 PM
Was that in Xihe?

Also these things have a cloaking device. Hoggbert and I jumped into the same belt and I couldn't see him. He had to jump out and back in to show off his ship

Torashuu
January 14 2015, 04:13:40 PM
Where the Viper is an Ariel Atom v8, the Clipper is the Bugatti Veyron. Can do everything ok but PvP, much more enjoyable than a Type 7.

Edit: Biggest downside is because the inertia, it becomes very hard to dodge the anacondas plasma bolt of doom, or get into their blind spot.

Sandzibar
January 18 2015, 09:11:41 PM
With A6 engines this thing handles like an eagle. Because chaff just distracts from your thermal profile (the mechanic all locks/tracking use) the closer you get to the target the less effective it becomes - and with the speed you get from a high end Clipper fit this is pretty easy vs most ships - this reduces the disadvantages of relying on gimbled weapons somewhat. I may not bother with the python at all now and just stick with my Type9 and Clipper.

Size 3 bursts lasers are also a better choice than size 3 beams ive found after much testing.

Torashuu
January 19 2015, 06:26:57 AM
The A6 engines really are just silly good. Was messing around in a conflict zone yesterday and while shooting a friendly anaconda came charging in from behind. *bump* "Shields down, canopy critical" fuuuuuuu. Made it back with 20% health, was 'only' 560k repairs. Afterwards I tried messing about in my viper seeing if I could manage the same time to kill and all options seemed lackluster except 2 Med beams + 2 small dumbfire pods.

[Imperial Clipper]
L: 3E/G Burst Laser
L: 3E/G Burst Laser
M: 2F/G Multi-cannon
M: 2F/G Multi-cannon
U: 0I Chaff Launcher
U: 0E Kill Warrant Scanner
U: 0I Point Defence
U: 0I Point Defence

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 6D Power Plant
TM: 6A Thrusters
FH: 5A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 5D Life Support
PC: 6D Power Distributor
SS: 5D Sensors
FS: 4C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 16)

7: 7D Shield Generator
6: 6A Shield Cell Bank
4: 4E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 16)
4: 4E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 16)
3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
2: 1E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 2)
2: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner

Sandzibar
January 19 2015, 07:33:59 AM
Yeah pretty much the same as my current fit - I just have a few more A class bits. Power Distrib should be your next upgrade choice.

Tried using cannons rather than mcannons, but they are not as effective on almost every level. They miss more (and when you do its a huge DPS loss), have shitty projectile velocity and a crappy refire time. Only viable kinetic guns are either rails (wont work on a clipper because of the lol hardpoint placement) or mcannons imho.

Kraken
January 25 2015, 03:45:53 PM
so did anyone decide, is this ship worth getting over a type 7? until the python is reached?

morpheps
January 25 2015, 04:56:03 PM
I haven't flown either, but I am close to a T-7 in terms of money. I'd say for pure haulage, go Type-7. It costs less, and fits more. It's got shitty handling and slightly less jump range (D-fit A-type FSD fully laden (208T) is 17.35 LY vs. same for a Clipper with 168T fully laden is 18.3 LY. Both require a large pad, clipper can do Pew Pew and has the ability to withstand some damage. Depends on whether you plan to get bored of space trucking before you reach Python levels of Cr I guess :)

Torashuu
January 25 2015, 05:20:00 PM
Went from t7 to clipper to python, clipper is deffo worth it, if only for the awesome factor and change of pace. Its a bit more expensive to run but really worth it. Python feels really boring after clipper. (Python is still good though)

Kraken
January 25 2015, 07:38:37 PM
is it good at killing like the viper? or even better/more survivable?

Hoggbert
January 25 2015, 07:43:30 PM
yes and yes, for killing rats the clipper is amazing. But it relies on gimballing weapons due to hardpoint placements so it wont be a good pvp ship, everything else it does very well.
I just upgraded to the python, which is more survivable than the clipper, but it doesnt feel like its killing time is that much better than the clipper.

QuackBot
January 25 2015, 08:00:11 PM
Went from t7 to clipper to python, clipper is deffo worth it, if only for the awesome factor and change of pace. Its a bit more expensive to run but really worth it. Python feels really boring after clipper. (Python is still good though)
So tell me something already.

Kraken
February 1 2015, 01:41:46 AM
id love to own the clipper, sadly i now have the credits but not baron rank, im one rank off at Lord and cant find a navy mission anywhere, its rather frustrating. im allied with Empire infact from all the missions ive done.

So what im finding is the real possibility i can afford a Python. im at 50mil so far. Do i continue to grind, get the Python and skip the clipper? this would mean a shit fit python. or pimp fit a clipper for when ive had enough of hauling?
I dont want to waste money on the clipper if its only going to be a very short stopgap ship now. (and thats if i find the next navy mission which isnt coming up)...

Torashuu
February 1 2015, 02:05:59 AM
Your major faction standing has little relation to gaining rank missions. What you need to do is gain standing with several different minor faction entities, the missions will come streaming in if you do. So grinding the same system over and over to gain rank doesn't work. You need to travel around the major factions territories and help out the local Empire corps/dictators/whomevers. Its really quite logical, if you want to gain rank, everybody from that faction should have 1st hand experience you're one of the good guys.

Kraken
February 1 2015, 07:41:04 PM
Your major faction standing has little relation to gaining rank missions. What you need to do is gain standing with several different minor faction entities, the missions will come streaming in if you do. So grinding the same system over and over to gain rank doesn't work. You need to travel around the major factions territories and help out the local Empire corps/dictators/whomevers. Its really quite logical, if you want to gain rank, everybody from that faction should have 1st hand experience you're one of the good guys.

well now i have sufficient rank. but do i buy the clipper and pimp fit or do i python and gimp fit but with the extra cargo hit up the luxary trader more?

Torashuu
February 1 2015, 08:20:14 PM
Clipper is more fun to fly, python is better but boring. Earning potential trading isn't that big a difference because of both the large pad landing/release of the clipper and the python loses half to a third of the extra profits to fuel. I kinda regret upgrading to a python because I can't really stomach the trading needed to get it properly fitted. While the current net worth would be quite ok for a clipper.

tl;dr Clipper, slightly worse, way fun. Python, better, bland boring, expensive parts.

tulip
February 1 2015, 08:36:14 PM
I thought you got full value for ships/modules when you resold anyway?

In that case surely you'd fly the pimp fit clipper until you had the cash for a similarly pimp fit python then upship and upgrade for no financial loss.

Torashuu
February 1 2015, 09:12:34 PM
You get full resell value for the modules you put on, but the ship frame itself you lose 10% on. On a 57 mill ship that is, while not terribly large, sizable enough to make you consider your options. Biggest problem though is that I got the clipper because of rep with station, which was a bug, contrary to rank. So I cannot buy one again atm. :)

edit: ah, the other way around yes. As much as you have the temptation to upgrade ships asap, don't at this price level.

Kraken
February 1 2015, 09:18:20 PM
but for luxary traders back and forth in the same system runs wouldnt the python rock that? more money quicker?
especially because im a jerk and do the logoffski onski trick when i undock

Torashuu
February 1 2015, 09:28:02 PM
No matter what you do the python makes more money, just not as much extra as you'd might expect in regular back and forth trading runs without logoffski shenanigans. But if you're that meta, I'd suggest you just stop playing because what is the fricking point.

CastleBravo
February 1 2015, 10:49:55 PM
Well, maybe I wouldn't do the logoffonski trick if it wasn't better game play than sitting there waiting for the damn launch pad animation.

Torashuu
February 1 2015, 11:04:36 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. FA & rotational correction off, enjoy your docking/undocking experience.

Kraken
February 1 2015, 11:53:10 PM
i enjoy docking, i just dont enjoy the tedium of undocking. undocking is just farting out at 80ms hoping some retard doesnt derp infront of you you dont see until too late. and thats once the spinny docking animation eventually releases your ship.
Nothing against the clipper but i went with python. If i achieved Baron soon enough id be in the clipper now but alas. Im hating the E7 thrusters though and the D3 shield is lolterrible so id better not bump too hard.

Torashuu
February 2 2015, 06:28:44 AM
The python d3 shield terrible? Lol then you really shouldn't get a clipper, because compared to that its rock hard.

I don't know about you, but when I find myself trying to circumvent playing a game while playing it I generally think it is a good idea to move on.

morpheps
February 2 2015, 07:56:17 AM
I am a part of the logoutski-logonski crew when doing Seeking Luxuries. For me, it's not about it being particularly boring or dangerous, it's just more efficient. For me it's about minimum grind and maximum fun.

Ędward
February 2 2015, 11:52:54 AM
... do the logoffski onski trick when i undock

Huh? Please explain.

Procellus
February 2 2015, 12:03:50 PM
Hit launch inside the station and then log out. Log back in and you'll he placed outside the station

morpheps
February 2 2015, 12:35:08 PM
Hit launch inside the station and then log out. Log back in and you'll he placed outside the station

And outside Mass-lock range; meaning instant Supercruise. Basically, in the time you'll spend waiting for the elevator animation if you don't do the trick, you'll be entering supercruise. I'd say you're shaving off between 1 and 1,5 minutes from your undocking process.

Procellus
February 2 2015, 03:39:31 PM
I too often play games looking for ways to not play them

Jack Coutu
February 2 2015, 06:24:25 PM
Undocking a million times isn't really exciting gameplay.

CDLoon
February 2 2015, 06:27:11 PM
Running back and forth to Luxury sellers isn't exactly exciting either.

morpheps
February 2 2015, 07:33:19 PM
I wanted to go explore in a pimped Asp, and maybe get a Python when I got back. I can grind the ass out of the SL thing as efficient as I can, so that I can spend more of my limited time in-game doing stuff I want. How does that equal looking for ways to not play the game? I mean, if undocking is exciting to you, by all means, enjoy it. I love docking using my Oculus, and docking my Type7 instead of using a docking puter or derping a Type6 to avoid having to dock has improved my piloting, but undocking is boring and time consuming.

QuackBot
February 2 2015, 08:00:11 PM
Thats exactly what i expected back a few pages back. It's a 're-imagined' original x-wing. 4 Canons, you look at it.

Kraken
February 2 2015, 08:12:07 PM
Docking is fun i think, i wont ever get a docking computer. If finding ways to make the grind shorter so i can get fun stuff sooner is a bad thing then im a baddie.

Ędward
February 3 2015, 11:43:51 AM

And outside Mass-lock range; meaning instant Supercruise. Basically, in the time you'll spend waiting for the elevator animation if you don't do the trick, you'll be entering supercruise. I'd say you're shaving off between 1 and 1,5 minutes from your undocking process.

Considering that I lost a Cobra last night due to boosting through the letterbox and forgetting that the cobra is one wide bastard, this is entirely relevant to my interests.

QuackBot
February 3 2015, 12:00:17 PM
You genuinely believe 100% energy efficiency is even possible ? Give this a read mate, and tell me what you think they should either.

morpheps
February 3 2015, 01:00:35 PM

Considering that I lost a Cobra last night due to boosting through the letterbox and forgetting that the cobra is one wide bastard, this is entirely relevant to my interests.

Protip; dont fly with your wings vertically aligned through the letterbox ;)

Sandzibar
February 3 2015, 01:04:54 PM

Protip; dont fly with your wings vertically aligned through the letterbox ;)

.. and dont pull up too soon after leaving the letterbox (as you probably havent actually left it yet).

longwide ship is longwide.

Torashuu
February 3 2015, 01:38:56 PM
...or try to boost past an anaconda that is trying to turn towards you to shoot.

Would have been nice if I just had lost the left engine pod instead of the whole ship.

Ędward
February 4 2015, 10:29:56 AM
...or try to boost past an anaconda that is trying to turn towards you to shoot.

Would have been nice if I just had lost the left engine pod instead of the whole ship.

You did. The pod just happened to be within the hull of your ship is all ...

Hoggbert
February 11 2015, 05:35:40 PM
Got the rank for the clipper (for real this time) sold python and got clipper again.
A much more enjoyable ship imo, got some inertia, got a big ass, got character.
Currently raking in the moneys in warzones