PDA

View Full Version : Ship Thread - Python

CastleBravo
January 9 2015, 05:28:19 PM
Any of you have a Python yet? I'm hoping to buy one with this setup (http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/#/L=205,,2-4sA07_6u9sA05A,0AA0AA0AA08c08c0727Pc05U03w) on Sunday after I reach ~75M, except I would likely use the 7D power dist which that site does not have data for yet. I might go lower on the power dist though if the 7D proves to be overkill for feeding my boosters.

Assuming that I can make my round trips a bit quicker in the Python than my current T7, profit per hour should be around 5 million vs 3.75 currently. After a few hours of that, I will either decide to take a break from trading and go blow shit up, or put in another 20-30 hours to get an Anaconda.

Lana Torrin
January 9 2015, 11:40:54 PM
Any of you have a Python yet? I'm hoping to buy one with this setup (http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/#/L=205,,2-4sA07_6u9sA05A,0AA0AA0AA08c08c0727Pc05U03w) on Sunday after I reach ~75M, except I would likely use the 7D power dist which that site does not have data for yet. I might go lower on the power dist though if the 7D proves to be overkill for feeding my boosters.

Assuming that I can make my round trips a bit quicker in the Python than my current T7, profit per hour should be around 5 million vs 3.75 currently. After a few hours of that, I will either decide to take a break from trading and go blow shit up, or put in another 20-30 hours to get an Anaconda.

I'm interested to know how a python handles.. With the bigger guns its going to make blowing shit up easier.

Straight Hustlin
January 10 2015, 12:22:50 AM
I've gotta say that for the most part ive found pythons trickier to engage than anacondas, that extra maneuverability really helps them get on target whereas an anaconda is fairly easy to stay on their tail & out of the turrets envelope. Also looks better imo.

Not sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

CastleBravo
January 10 2015, 11:47:23 PM
So I played a bit more than I was planning to today, and I am now the proud owner of a trade-fit Python.

First impression:
Holy shit does this thing feel agile after flying the Type-7 Space Dumpster for a few days; and that is with 284t cargo and only D6 thrusters! Unfortunately, my piloting technique has been completely adapted to make use of the Dumpster's high yaw rate, so now I need to relearn how to fly.

A few more hours of trading and I can switch to this load out (http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/#/L=205,4zg5TP5TP5Rr5Rr01Q01Q0mI3wK,2-7_9i7_6uB6A05A,7Um0AA0AA08c08c7fO7fO7fO03w) for a much needed vacation from my space trucking career. I plan on eventually upgrading it fully, but for now my goal is to get it to a point that I can quickly shred all NPCs so that I can have fun slowly earning more credits for a while until I decide to strip it back down for some more trade runs.

[Python]
L: 3C/F Beam Laser
L: 3E/G Pulse Laser
M: 2F/G Pulse Laser
U: 0I Chaff Launcher
U: 0I Point Defence
U: 0B Kill Warrant Scanner

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 5A Power Plant
TM: 6B Thrusters
FH: 5A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 4D Life Support
PC: 7A Power Distributor
SS: 6D Sensors
FS: 3C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 8)

6: 6D Shield Generator
6: 6E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 64)
5: 5E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 32)
4: 3B Shield Cell Bank
3: 3B Shield Cell Bank
2: 2E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 4)

Torashuu
January 11 2015, 08:01:38 AM
If just trading, why the shield cell banks? (and all dem weapons). If you're going to use it as an upgrade over the t7 better make sure you're carrying more cargo. No to mention the drop in jumprange will limit/reduce number of profitable routes.

Maybe something more like this? (http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/#/L=205,mpX01Q01Q0mI,2-8SA07_6uBaA05A,0AA0AA0AA08c7Sk07205U05U03w)

jadefalcon
January 11 2015, 08:43:13 AM
I think that's the load out he is aiming for...unless he linked the wrong one. Link and fit posted are the same. Also, the C4 slot with a C3 cell...due to power issues?

Saul
January 11 2015, 11:47:01 AM
a bit more than I was planning to

Must have been more than a bit if you can suddenly afford to kit out a 50 million + ship :D

CastleBravo
January 12 2015, 02:10:47 AM
So I tried it in combat today with a slightly revised setup. I found the large beam completely underwhelming, so I switched to medium fixed beams and large gimbled pulse. This setup does exactly what I wanted it to do, which is quickly kill Anacondas in RES sites without using any ammo or other consumables. I managed to find a RES instance spawning them, and farmed it to the tune of 2.5M in maybe an hour or two (didn't keep time, but I think it was closer to one than two hours). I find the maneuverability with the C thrusters more than adequate, so I think a stronger shield generator is going to be my next upgrade. The ship has shields for days, but they also take an eternity to come online if you fuck up and let them collapse.

[Python]
M: 2D/F Beam Laser
M: 2D/F Beam Laser
U: 0C Kill Warrant Scanner

RB: 5B Power Plant
TM: 6C Thrusters

6: 6C Shield Generator
4: 3B Shield Cell Bank
3: 3A Fuel Scoop
2: 2E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 4)

Equium Duo
January 12 2015, 06:41:36 PM
This is my want ship. I love the look of the anaconda of course but i think it's way to much!

Rodj Blake
January 13 2015, 11:21:52 AM
I should be getting myself a Python tonight :)

Rodj Blake
January 14 2015, 11:20:19 AM

I'm interested to know how a python handles.. With the bigger guns its going to make blowing shit up easier.

It handles like a dream (at least compared to the Type-7)

Lana Torrin
January 14 2015, 12:27:31 PM

It handles like a dream (at least compared to a brick)

This is what I read

CastleBravo
January 14 2015, 01:36:32 PM
I only have C thrusters on mine; the pitch rate seems close to a Cobra, but it also feels like it takes longer to reach and unload from max pitch rate, so I haven't been as accurate with fixed weapons.

I tried some PVP yesterday at the war zone with a quad medium rail setup. Whenever I got a solid hit on a Cobra or Viper that didn't have full power to systems, I dropped their shields in one shot. I didn't find many people that wanted to fight though.

Torashuu
January 17 2015, 09:04:23 AM
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=86856&p=1556219&viewfull=1#post1556219

The python is by most reckonings, a beast of a ship (a little too beastly, we will be dropping it's manoeuvrability a tad).

Edit: First impression, for money making it is a step forward from the clipper, but smaller then you'd think. (Fuel costs are literally 10x as much, 20k instead of 2k for one 16 ly jump). Much more agile, less inertia, but completely devoid of good style or awesome sound effects.
Clipper is harder to fly but more enjoyable imho. This thing is pure function over style, and pretty damn good function it is regardless of what you choose to do.

Sandzibar
January 21 2015, 03:53:14 PM
More details on Python master-race nerf incoming

They'll be in the same update probably. The changes to the python is something like -17% to speeds, turn rates and accelerations, -33% to base shield strength roughly. This puts the flight model in a better place for a large fighting based ship and also leaves room for the other fighting ships to come so they can be more manoeuvrable than it. The python still has one of the best hard point placements when it can get its guns to bare on a target and it won't become a sitting duck either.

17% is small. Anything less and the change wouldn't even be noticeable. I'd be surprised if it was noticeable even now. It might be a sitting duck if you fit it with the smallest and crappiest thruster module you can get away with but it would have been that way before as well. Of course I'm balancing ships based on what I have access too right now. It makes no sense to set up a ship the moment before release based on what's only in the public build when I know in advance or already have access to all the other ships that will also be released soon. What a ridiculous idea. I'd have to constantly adjust each ship in the whole game to take into account a new ship each and every time if I hadn't tried to look at the big picture first. It might mean a ship gets released that doesn't seem to fit the current trend, or relies on game play that hasn't made it in yet so it's a bit weaker but if I tried to counter those things I'd only have to take them away later and that doesn't go down well ;)

Anyway I don't recall ever saying exactly what I was going to do to address the fact that the python is way better than I intended it to be so chill out, step back and think rationally for a second. -33% to base shield strength is a minor change. No one is going to be suddenly exploding where they were once owning because of that. The game has all the tools available to you to ensure that your shields never get low enough to even fail so if you expect you were always just about to lose your shields in your python before you won the fight yet again then perhaps you want to invest in some more shield cells, a better generator or ensure you're not just taking that many hits.

It's minor because it was too damn high in the first place. It's now an appropriate level. Being used to the over powered shield level might make it seem like a major change for you but not to anyone who hasn't piloted the python before. For them it will make sense that the ship is what it is. As if you're suddenly all going to flock to another ship once the change goes in. The python is still the best damn fighting ship in the game in the right hands.

The vulture is going to be the dedicated heavy fighter (literally it's not going to be very good at anything else but shooting and flying) where as the Python is supposed to be more of a gun ship/heavy weapons platform.

vulture sounds interesting though :D

Liare
January 21 2015, 04:21:04 PM
"we will be dropping it's manoeuvrability a tad" is code for chopping 17% off it's manoeuvrability and speed, as well as a full third of it's shields, and that's just a minor nerf apparently.

what does a big one look like ? the complete removal of the ship ? upgrading all the hardpoints to class 1's ?

how does shield generators and base shield interact anyway ? is it just a flat bonus meaning the nerf is flat, or is it some sort of multiplying equation ? i fucking hate obscure game mechanics like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRQ52Q6UUaY
rockets r fine, l2p!

Sandzibar
January 21 2015, 05:17:00 PM
Its all relative. Considering the python has twice the shields of everything else with an A6 - bar the anaconda - I dont think its too much of a big deal.

Even with a 17% manoeuvrability nerf it will probably still handle better than an Asp.

Liare
January 21 2015, 06:24:50 PM
Its all relative. Considering the python has twice the shields of everything else with an A6 - bar the anaconda - I dont think its too much of a big deal.

Even with a 17% manoeuvrability nerf it will probably still handle better than an Asp.it's slower than the Anaconda after that nerf though.

ah well, it's still a pretty boat and my next objective after the Viper, if i can ever afford one.

CastleBravo
January 21 2015, 07:42:36 PM

Even with a 17% manoeuvrability nerf it will probably still handle better than an Asp.it's slower than the Anaconda after that nerf though.

ah well, it's still a pretty boat and my next objective after the Viper, if i can ever afford one.

Still good, but not 56M good.

Saul
January 21 2015, 08:53:14 PM
Python nerfs incoming: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2t6ibc/python_nerfs_revealed/

Sandzibar
January 21 2015, 09:13:20 PM
Python nerfs incoming: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2t6ibc/python_nerfs_revealed/

read up a few posts matey. :D

Saul
January 21 2015, 09:16:43 PM
Oh yeah, I am le dumb.

Liare
January 22 2015, 11:31:27 AM
and the actual numbers, baseline stats, various modules affect them, old - new format.

Base Shield Health 390 - 260

0 Pips to engines
Maximum Speed 160 - 140
Max Boosted Speed 280 - 220

Max Forward Acceleration 32 - 30
Max Retro Acceleration 19 - 18
MaxPitchRate 30 - 22
MaxRollRate 100 - 90
Max Transverse Acceleration 19 - 16

4 Pips to engines
Maximum Speed 250 - 200
Max Boosted Speed 330 - 280
Max Pitch Rate 38 - 27

stolen shamelessly from the forums, meet the new Maybach transit van. ;)

Kraken
February 6 2015, 04:02:25 PM
did we decide? for the python fixed weapons all round? burst, beams or pulses? or class 3 energy weapons and something else for the class 2?

Sandzibar
February 6 2015, 04:42:05 PM
Personally I am a fan of energy weps, because less ammo hassle - and there are NO good large kinetics.. If i had a python I would probably fit 2 medium fixed beams, and 3 gimbled large pulse. Beams in one group, Gimbles in another.

Only use the beams for stuff at 1km+ when youre closing the gap (or when its using chaff), and the gimbled for killing power cores.

Or id go 2 medium gimbled mcannons and 3 fixed large pulse.

But honeslty just dick around with all the weapons and find a combo you like. Its not as if you lose any cash swapping modules in and out.

Torashuu
February 6 2015, 06:36:28 PM
Fixed Burst in the chin, 2 gimbaled beams on top in primary group. 2 medium gimbaled cannons in the secondaries.

Kraken
March 11 2015, 09:28:46 PM
so Python is a multirole, how is it against the vulture now? still a good ship?
how does it stack for shields in comparason now and firepower?

Torashuu
March 12 2015, 10:05:41 AM
Well, python has 3 large 2 medium slots and grid to spare, while the vulture has 2 large and just a bit less grid than you'd want. With the addition of shield boosters in utility slots you can tank up this baby to high heaven, and you bet you are going to need to fire multiple shield cell boosters to fill her up again.

For example, if hunting NPCs:

[Python]
M: 2F/G Multi-cannon
U: 0E Kill Warrant Scanner
U: 0A Shield Booster

BH: 1I Military Grade Composite
RB: 7A Power Plant
TM: 6A Thrusters
SS: 6A Sensors
FS: 5C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 32)

6: 6A Shield Generator
6: 6A Shield Cell Bank
6: 6A Shield Cell Bank
5: 5A Auto Field-Maintenance Unit
5: 5A Fuel Scoop
4: 4A Frame Shift Drive Interdictor
3: 3D Hull Reinforcement Package
3: 3D Hull Reinforcement Package
2: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner
---
Shield: 447.68 MJ
Power : 28.61 MW retracted (95%)
35.49 MW deployed (118%)
30.00 MW available
Cargo : 0 T
Fuel : 32 T
Mass : 818.8 T empty
850.8 T full
Range : 14.48 LY unladen
14.48 LY laden
Price : 260,619,437 CR
Re-Buy: 13,030,972 CR @ 95% insurance

You'll probably want to up those armor packages to A if you can find em.

Sandzibar
March 12 2015, 11:19:52 AM
I NEED to know if - with 4 pips in shields - the passive recharge rate is a fixed amount or a %.

If its % then ive got a new conda fit to aim for. Even with the downside to the shield boosters I reckon it would be loltastic :D

Torashuu
March 12 2015, 11:44:45 AM
I dont know for surez but from what ive read is that recharge rate is tied to your shield module, and extending it also increases the recharge time commensurately.

Sandzibar
March 12 2015, 11:55:45 AM
I dont know for surez but from what ive read is that recharge rate is tied to your shield module, and extending it also increases the recharge time commensurately.

1400MJ of shields is worth it just to try I reckon. :twisted:

edit: i also wonder if they are smart enough to have the recharge penalty work even if you disable the booster module via the power window.

Straight Hustlin
March 12 2015, 03:05:00 PM
Is there a penalty? I thought it just increased the capacity, thus taking longer to fill up since the charge rate is flat.

Not sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Torashuu
March 12 2015, 03:51:21 PM
Thats what I meant. The rate being dependent on class and rating (ABEDC).

Sandzibar
March 12 2015, 05:30:26 PM
If your shields drop, you CAN turn off the boosters to bring it back up faster.

Kraken
March 12 2015, 10:04:59 PM
Python sounds pretty cool still then.

Sandzibar
March 12 2015, 10:55:02 PM
Yeah it is... But tbh the vulture is ludicrous for its new price. eagle manouvering. almost python like shields. and 2 fixed large pulse will wreck most ships very very fast. Or fit a lol large PA for killing conda's.

Only things it doesnt do well is jump and trade. But only scrubs do that right :D

Torashuu
March 13 2015, 12:14:33 AM
For a combat ship the jump range is quite acceptable, and with a class 4 scoop you fill up right quick, not to mention compared to the FDL the vulture just does not heat up getting close to stars.

Kraken
March 14 2015, 03:24:06 PM
how is the FDL compared to vulture and python then? now its price is similar to python? which be better?

Torashuu
March 14 2015, 03:55:43 PM
Will, the FDL handles more like a viper with a bit more mass, can get some really beefy shields. It doesn't quite have the same punch as a Python due to lacking the 3 Large hardpoints. The huge hardpoint is funny, but probably better served as a large one. Currently have a huge gimballed cannon there but its field of fire is rather limited.

The python really suffers from its size and lack of maneuverability, it works well enough for taking a licking and providing supporting fire but if you, for example, run into an anaconda + cobra support you'll get wrecked. You wont be able to dump shield cells quick enough into your shields to keep them going against so much fire. There the FDL has the advantage of running away. The FDL really demands continuous pip management to make it go from "meh" to "hmm, this thing is pretty damn good". Then again, it isn't quite as punchy as python, or as silly maneuverable as a Vulture. Oh, and being able to fit chaff & shield boosters really helps the FDL

So Vulture: Crazy maneuverable, excellent firepower, passable speed, very sturdy.
Python: Poor maneuverability, excellent firepower, poor speed, tanky.
FDL: Adequate maneuverability, good firepower, excellent speed, tanky.

In even fights the Vulture is best, if vastly outnumbered/classed the FDL would be my choice and if just providing nuking power the Python would serve best.

To put it in perspective, I've spent the past 2 days doing Assassination missions, and the Vulture & Python didn't measure up with the big boss was escorted. Got home with deep hull damage in Vulture once before switching to my Python, which took a beating, both of them sold for a FDL, with which I still have to encounter such a escorted boss.

Fits I've been using for each:
Vulture[Vulture]
U: 0C Shield Booster
U: 0D Shield Booster

RB: 4A Power Plant
TM: 5A Thrusters
FH: 4A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 3D Life Support
PC: 5A Power Distributor
SS: 4D Sensors

5: 5D Shield Generator
4: 4D Fuel Scoop
2: 2A Auto Field-Maintenance Unit
1: 1D Hull Reinforcement Package
1: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner
---
Shield: 274.84 MJ
Power : 14.59 MW retracted (94%)
18.39 MW deployed (118%)
15.60 MW available
Fuel : 8 T
Mass : 325.3 T empty
333.3 T full
Range : 17.37 LY unladen
17.37 LY laden
Price : 20,050,131 CR
Re-Buy: 1,002,507 CR @ 95% insurance

Python[Python]

RB: 7D Power Plant
TM: 6A Thrusters
PC: 7D Power Distributor
FS: 5C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 32)

6: 6C Shield Generator
6: 6B Shield Cell Bank
6: 6B Shield Cell Bank
5: 5D Fuel Scoop
5: 5D Auto Field-Maintenance Unit
2: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner
---
Shield: 365.60 MJ
Power : 23.34 MW retracted (104%)
27.54 MW deployed (122%)
22.50 MW available
Fuel : 32 T
Mass : 707.8 T empty
739.8 T full
Range : 16.65 LY unladen
16.65 LY laden
Price : 87,276,614 CR
Re-Buy: 4,363,831 CR @ 95% insurance

Fer-de-Lance[Fer-de-Lance]
H: 4B/G Cannon

RB: 5A Power Plant
TM: 5A Thrusters
FH: 4A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 4A Life Support
PC: 6A Power Distributor
SS: 4C Sensors

5: 5A Shield Generator
4: 4A Shield Cell Bank
4: 4A Fuel Scoop
2: 2A Auto Field-Maintenance Unit
1: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner
---
Shield: 450.99 MJ
Power : 19.58 MW retracted (96%)
23.21 MW deployed (114%)
20.40 MW available
Fuel : 8 T
Mass : 424.6 T empty
432.6 T full
Range : 13.39 LY unladen
13.39 LY laden
Price : 84,237,116 CR
Re-Buy: 4,211,856 CR @ 95% insurance

ps. ditch the field maintenance kits btw, they only repair modules which are turned off.