PDA

View Full Version : Ship Thread - Sidewinder Mk I/Shitwinder

Saul
January 3 2015, 06:13:44 PM
Wiki page: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Sidewinder_Mk._I

Free starter ship. Most players can't wait to get out of it, but you can A fit a Sidey for about half a million credits for a surprisingly good little ship. Rebuy cost in the 15-20,000 range means you can slam it into all the walls you want and laugh off the costs once you have a little collateral behind you.

I run an A fit Sidey from my main base station and use it to check out the local markets every now and then, and it's nippy as anything. The two things that can fuck you badly are homing missiles and sustained fire, so carry ECM or anti-missile turret and chaff in the utilities and use your agility/size to dodge everything else.

Kraken
January 3 2015, 06:26:56 PM
id suggest getting two burst lasers on gimbled turrets, they are about 8.6k each i think? will help a great deal to start. have the 4 or 8 cargo whatever it is. try to shoot otherships in their cargo hatch if you pew pew at the nav point a bit and scoop loots. will augment your bounties decently.

But aim to get an eagle asap for pew or an adder for space trucking.

QuackBot
January 3 2015, 09:00:16 PM
Wiki page: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Sidewinder_Mk._I

Free starter ship. Most players can't wait to get out of it, but you can A fit a Sidey for about half a million credits for a surprisingly good little ship. Rebuy cost in the 15-20,000 range means you can slam it into all the walls you want and laugh off the costs once you have a little collateral behind you.

I run an A fit Sidey from my main base station and use it to check out the local markets every now and then, and it's nippy as anything. The two things that can fuck you badly are homing missiles and sustained fire, so carry ECM or anti-missile turret and chaff in the utilities and use your agility/size to dodge everything else.
Its a good laugh.

Saul
January 4 2015, 01:44:24 AM
You can run 2x Class 1 Gimbaled Beam Lasers quite easily with an A-type fit Sidey, that would be my weapon of choice I think. Multi's would work well too but I can never be bothered to rearm.

A well flown Sidey can be a bitch in combat, but gimbals and anything homing and it's time to go. Great as a runaround for your local area though.

CastleBravo
January 4 2015, 04:52:12 PM
I wouldn't bother spending money on a sidie; just get an eagle instead. That said, I like flying the stock sidewinder since it is free to replace, and because combat in it is challenging. Gimbled guns are for larger ships bad hard point placement, and people who can't aim.

If you have any interest in doing PVP at some point, I recommend sticking with fixed guns on the sidewinder to train yourself. Gimbled guns and turrets are worthless against players since anyone who knows what they are doing fits dual chaff for PVP.