PDA

View Full Version : Mining

Ben Derindar
January 1 2015, 08:58:01 PM
For mining you need a refinery module, a mining laser and a meaningful amount of cargo space to save trips to/from station (say 8t minimum, ideally 16t or higher). A Hauler or Adder should be fine.

The most valuable things to mine are metals over minerals. Within the list of metals, platinum is worth the most, then palladium then gold then silver. To effectively mine all four you will need a refinery with at least 4 bays in it; I like the C2 refinery as it uses a smaller internal compartment, but a larger one will do as long as it has at least 4 bays in it.

The best belts are metallic ones, as they contain the highest proportion of metals over metal rich/rocky/icy. Then you have your quality which goes pristine > major > common > low > depleted. So pristine metallic belts have the most metals in them.

Metals also fetch the best prices at industrial stations, not extraction or refining ones.

So, the holy grail mining system would appear to be an industrial system with a pristine metallic belt in it. I know of two such systems: Glusu and Gluscab. Iksvati and HIP 103107 have pristine metallic belts in them as well, but they're not industrial systems like the other two are.

The worst thing about mining imo is keeping track of which rocks have what in them. You can't scan them upfront, the only way to find out what they hold is to actually mine them. So there's a lot of time spent drifting from rock to rock, tapping each one until you strike it lucky. Even "pristine metallic" belts are still mostly rocky; for each 30% palladium rock you might find, there are another 5 of 15% indite or whatever. So you do need patience.

Overall I'd say mining is fairly similarly balanced to exploring in terms of $/hr, but trading still trumps them both.

Shaikar
January 1 2015, 10:02:17 PM
I found this immensely helpful to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZAyvBswZp0

Only mined for just over an hour and while it was interesting at first, it quickly got a bit tedious - and it pales in comparison to bounty hunting in both fun and cash terms.
I was tooling around in a min-spec adder and only had a common / metal rich belt to work with though, so will give it another go when I find a better spot.

As a side note, I discovered the planets do have a day/night cycle whilst doing this. Got bored at the end so alt-tabbed to lend my wisdom to the ED forums, then got distracted by dinner. A few hours later, noticed I was still logged in - all alone in a *very* dark belt, in the shadow of the planet. First time I've used the lights on a ship. :)

Saul
January 1 2015, 11:06:07 PM
Dark belts are creep as fuck. I stay out, far too easy to hit something.

Procellus
January 3 2015, 12:29:04 PM
As a side note, I discovered the planets do have a day/night cycle whilst doing this. Got bored at the end so alt-tabbed to lend my wisdom to the ED forums, then got distracted by dinner. A few hours later, noticed I was still logged in - all alone in a *very* dark belt, in the shadow of the planet. First time I've used the lights on a ship. :)

Do you have a lot of experience with ED?

QuackBot
January 3 2015, 01:00:17 PM
Dark belts are creep as fuck. I stay out, far too easy to hit something.
First i was " what the fuck are you even trying, ?