PDA

View Full Version : Fitting thread and tips and module availability

helgur
January 1 2015, 07:19:31 AM
Having experienced how difficult it can be to find the right modules I've thought I'd make a thread about just that, where you can pick em up and some general fitting tips. Note that if you have access to the founders world you can pick up just about anything on a discount (including ships) from there.

I'll update this list as people add more data to the thread:

Cargo racks 64 tons and below are available at HIP 26990

General tips: Class D modules always have a lower mass than the other modules

morpheps
January 1 2015, 08:37:26 AM
General tips: High Tech worlds often have high class stuff (like Class A modules).

Edit: Oh, also: this (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a9ZKfheEHgxMijo1LJdBBzMJ6S8kAF3RTRkmRujRlwY/edit#gid=807976192) is a spreadsheet listing module availability.

Ben Derindar
January 1 2015, 08:53:51 AM
I'm looking for a D4 shield generator for my Cobra. I have D everything else except the FSD since I'm gearing up for exploration.

I know about industrials and high techs ofc, strangely I can find B4 and C4 ones here and there, but no D4 so far. I'm presuming it's just coincidence and I'll run into one sooner or later, but still.

Darkening
January 1 2015, 10:31:32 AM
I'm looking for a D4 shield generator for my Cobra. I have D everything else except the FSD since I'm gearing up for exploration.

I know about industrials and high techs ofc, strangely I can find B4 and C4 ones here and there, but no D4 so far. I'm presuming it's just coincidence and I'll run into one sooner or later, but still.

D4 Shield Gen Cr59,633 Hand Ring Station Ho Hsi system.

jadefalcon
January 1 2015, 01:21:27 PM
Note that if you have access to the founders world you can pick up just about anything on a discount (including ships) from there.

Damn it...just found this out after buying my brand new asp and its class 5A FSD...

Approaching Walrus
January 1 2015, 01:43:55 PM
I think each type of weapon only has one class, I can't ever find any upgrades for my weapons.

Saul
January 1 2015, 02:29:11 PM
Note that if you have access to the founders world you can pick up just about anything on a discount (including ships) from there.

Damn it...just found this out after buying my brand new asp and its class 5A FSD...

Ship discounts only at Founder's World, not modules I'm afraid. If only!

Shaikar
January 1 2015, 02:31:37 PM
Is there any documentation on what the different classes of <module> actually do?

For example, what's the difference between the different shield generators?
This doesn't tell me much of anything:
http://i.imgur.com/aISqQSM.jpg

Darkening
January 1 2015, 03:12:10 PM
Is there any documentation on what the different classes of <module> actually do?

The class is just for the different size of ship as far as i'm aware.

Goes up to class 8 for the big stuff.

jadefalcon
January 1 2015, 04:38:11 PM

Still - a discount on that 5.1mil FSD would have been nice! No idea where that star is tho, I'm in Coqium atm.

For the shield stuff - Classes for size, some ships you can use undersized or oversized shields, but I have no idea how useful oversized shields are. The asp can fit a C6, but it comes with a C5 in the default spot. The letter denotes meta level, with A being the best. Weapons, I haven't seen the old overcharged or focused weapons, anyone seen those?

morpheps
January 1 2015, 07:23:56 PM
[QUOTE=Shaikar;1237133]Is there any documentation on what the different classes of <module> actually do?

*snip*

Class is related to module class / slot size. I.e., my Lakon Type-6 has 2x Size 5 Internal slots, meaning that I can put two Class 5 (32 ton capacity) cargo racks there. I also have 2x Size 4 compartments, meaning that if I want a Class 4 Shield Generator, I will have to sacrifice a 16 ton (Class 4) cargo rack, and put it there. I don't want to do that, so instead I opt for a Class 3 Shield Generator.

For ship systems, you can usually find the ships default class and max class on the elite-dangerous wiki (http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Lakon_Type-6_Transporter). For example, for my Type-6, a Class 4 thruster is max, meaning that I cannot install higher than Class 4. I can however install a class 3 (but that would be less ideal).

For Shield generators, it's worth mentioning that upgrading to a higher class does not change shield strength (according to the wiki), but changes optimal/max hull Mass. Shield strength is determined by rating and the ship's current mass. If mass is below optimum, it works at it's full capacity, above optimum (but below max) means shields aren't as effective. Something to take into consideration. As an example; because I didn't want to exchange a 16 ton cargo rack, I have to make do with a Class 3 Shield Generator. This is less than ideal, since it's optimum mass is 165 and my current mass is 309. Upgrading to a Class 4, would give me 285, so still not enough. Thus, not worth upgrading and loosing a 16 ton cargo rack.

Hope that helps.

Ben Derindar
January 1 2015, 07:27:46 PM

Yep. Eve has small/med/large/xlarge, Elite has classes 1 to 8. The rating is the quality within the class e.g. Eve has best to worst named gear, Elite has A to I.

So the different between your two shield gens is the one on the left is bigger and slightly better quality.

Cosmin
January 1 2015, 07:41:51 PM

How does one get a permit to Founder's World?

morpheps
January 1 2015, 07:43:01 PM

Rank or being a KS/Beta backer

Tibor Ferenc
January 1 2015, 07:45:53 PM
Just sold my cobra to buy a Viper for PVE/PVP sat on about 300k. what sort of upgrade path should I be thinking about?

QuackBot
January 1 2015, 08:00:17 PM
Just sold my cobra to buy a Viper for PVE/PVP sat on about 300k. what sort of upgrade path should I be thinking about?
Viper is still an amazing farm, you just reddit.

Approaching Walrus
January 1 2015, 08:05:21 PM

I just did the same thing. The hardpoint placement on the Cobra is awful.

Also cannons are in need of a serious buff. Was running size two cannons on the bottom of my viper and they are just completely underwhelming in terms of damage, rate of fire, and projectile speed. It's like lobbing tennis balls.

Tibor Ferenc
January 1 2015, 08:18:33 PM
Upgraded most my mods to C now just trying too work out what hard points to fit, starting fairly blow budget.

Shaikar
January 1 2015, 08:29:23 PM
Yep. Eve has small/med/large/xlarge, Elite has classes 1 to 8. The rating is the quality within the class e.g. Eve has best to worst named gear, Elite has A to I.

So the different between your two shield gens is the one on the left is bigger and slightly better quality.

It's the "better quality" part that's stumping me - *how* is it better?
More shields? Faster regen? More efficient regen? It's shinier and made by someone with a better marketing department?
All of the above?

Steckersaurus
January 1 2015, 08:37:16 PM

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but it bears repeating; power distributor is awesome and should be as good as you can get. Makes everything better in combat. EVERYTHING.

Sandzibar
January 1 2015, 09:18:20 PM

More shields? Faster regen? More efficient regen? It's shinier and made by someone with a better marketing department?
All of the above?

Gets worse when you factor in the shield stats on the ship buy screen.. python has 390 shields - but can only fit a class 6 shield. An Imperial Clipper has 180 shields but can fit a class 7 shield. Both come with a class 6 shield as standard.

thefuck? are shield amounts tied to the hull? if so why would I want to fit a class 7 to my clipper if it actually doesnt make difference (the class 6 already covers the required output for the ships mass).

I DEMAND MORE NUMBERS FROM THE DEVS!

Ive dropped from a class 5 power gen to a class 3 just because its massively lighter and haulers dont use any power (no shields guns etc).

morpheps
January 1 2015, 09:39:47 PM
Read my post on the previous page. Shield Gen size doesn't impact amount of shields, but optimal mass. Being below optimal matters, as well as the rating. So your Class 6 gen on a Python is just fine as long as that is the proper fit for your mass.

Edit: I guess you did. Yes, you dont want a Class 7 unless your mass dictates that you need it.

Sandzibar
January 1 2015, 09:46:55 PM
Read my post on the previous page. Shield Gen size doesn't impact amount of shields, but optimal mass. Being below optimal matters, as well as the rating. So your Class 6 gen on a Python is just fine as long as that is the proper fit for your mass.

Edit: I guess you did. Yes, you dont want a Class 7 unless your mass dictates that you need it.

Must have missed your post. Thanks anyway.

Izo Azlion
January 1 2015, 09:47:06 PM
I have two Med Beam Gimballing Lasers on my Viper. I cannot find a weapon to compliment it for the smaller hardpoints :/

Railgun and Missiles are cool but too expensive and low ammo to run. I could go back to multi cannons but those are boring :/

Darkening
January 1 2015, 09:48:24 PM
Sold my cobra and fitted out a pimpish viper, then got blown up by the station as i was taking off (within 2 seconds of lifting off the pad) said i was wanted, even through i wasn't wanted for anything.

So down 48k for rebuying it and lost about 180k worth of bounty's for the fed that i had not got around to cashing in.

Oh and my setup
2x Burst lasers (changing beam once i have some cash)
2x multi's
Kill warrant scanner
Chaff Launcher
-----------------
Military Grade Composite
B3 Power plant
B3 Thrusters
B3 Frame Shift drive
A2 Life Support
B3 Power Distributor
D3 Sensors
C2 Fuel tanks
C3 Shield Gen's
Then basic fuel scoop and scanner.

Anything stand out as really bad in that lot?

Sandzibar
January 1 2015, 09:48:41 PM
I have two Med Beam Gimballing Lasers on my Viper. I cannot find a weapon to compliment it for the smaller hardpoints :/

Railgun and Missiles are cool but too expensive and low ammo to run. I could go back to multi cannons but those are boring :/

Boring but the best choice. I prefere 1 fixed D2 medium beam, 1 F2 gimbled medium mcannon and 2 G2 gimbled small mcannons on my viper/cobra loadout.

You could go 2 small gimbled beams with 2 medium rails - the conda hunter choice. But it requires some module management mid fight in a viper - turning the beams off so you can use the rails.

Cannons are complete shit. Shit velocity, shit tracking. Same dps and pen as mcannons.

morpheps
January 1 2015, 09:50:12 PM

All of the above?

I am not sure, but I think it's faster regen. Possibly shinier and with a better marketing division (maybe the guys from Cirius Cybernetics?) :)

Sandzibar
January 1 2015, 09:54:47 PM

All of the above?

I am not sure, but I think it's faster regen. Possibly shinier and with a better marketing division (maybe the guys from Cirius Cybernetics?) :)

Has to be something like that or D types instantly become best in slot...

Torashuu
January 1 2015, 10:13:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jmegOeB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fP5lf37.jpg
Old fit, since put on reactive armor bringing the range down to ~12.95 ly and swapped the multi cannons for railguns.

Imperial clipper is almost 800 tons, python only 350. Hence the shield class.

Sandzibar
January 1 2015, 10:30:48 PM

By 800 you mean 400.

Jaxley
January 1 2015, 10:52:44 PM
Nothing terrible afaik, but Shield Cell Banks are great.

Sandzibar
January 2 2015, 08:26:36 AM

Id say drop the A2 life support to D2. You shouldnt really be getting into situations where you need that much air - and it would free up some power which is incredibly tight on the viper. Especially once you start fitting A-spec stuff.

Darkening
January 2 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Id say drop the A2 life support to D2. You shouldnt really be getting into situations where you need that much air - and it would free up some power which is incredibly tight on the viper. Especially once you start fitting A-spec stuff.

Dropped to a C2 as i keep getting my canopy shot out, there's a group of three that are flying around the nav beacon atm taking bountys and flying in to your weapons fire so they can attack you.

It's getting a bit old now.

Lana Torrin
January 2 2015, 11:41:16 AM

Dropped to a C2 as i keep getting my canopy shot out, there's a group of three that are flying around the nav beacon atm taking bountys and flying in to your weapons fire so they can attack you.

It's getting a bit old now.

Well the point of the D fit was the weight loss so if you arent going to do that may as well have kept the A..

Tailn
January 2 2015, 11:57:50 AM
Because that last death you had just has to be shared.

Mine (the first since playing seriously this week) is as follows:

Decently fit viper shooting a side winder in a RES (I had been bounty hunting for a few days and besides fed bounty's I had 250k in empire bounty's and 50k in Alliance) for some reason at the last second the viper rolls into a head on crash path at about 200ms full shields so I don't worry to much, right up until 'You are dead' WTF :(

How much damage your shields can take depends on how many pips you have in systems. So if you had no pips because you were full, then your shields won't take much. Someone took down a Viper in an adder by ramming it head-on when it had all its pips in weapons.

From the deaths thread but thought it would be more use here.

This I was not aware of I thought the number of pip in sys only affected the recharge rate not the current resistance of the fully charged shields that would explain why I find them melting at the slightest hostility.

QuackBot
January 2 2015, 12:00:19 PM
But are you fanged?

Shaikar
January 2 2015, 12:30:12 PM
Because that last death you had just has to be shared.

Mine (the first since playing seriously this week) is as follows:

Decently fit viper shooting a side winder in a RES (I had been bounty hunting for a few days and besides fed bounty's I had 250k in empire bounty's and 50k in Alliance) for some reason at the last second the viper rolls into a head on crash path at about 200ms full shields so I don't worry to much, right up until 'You are dead' WTF :(

How much damage your shields can take depends on how many pips you have in systems. So if you had no pips because you were full, then your shields won't take much. Someone took down a Viper in an adder by ramming it head-on when it had all its pips in weapons.

From the deaths thread but thought it would be more use here.

This I was not aware of I thought the number of pip in sys only affected the recharge rate not the current resistance of the fully charged shields that would explain why I find them melting at the slightest hostility.

I'd also missed this, so went back to check the manual (http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/website/assets/ELITE-DANGEROUS-GAME-MANUAL.pdf) and spotted it. So, for posterity:

The Power Distributor siphons energy from the power plant into three capacitors:
SYS: Used to recharge shields and activate scanners/defensive modules.
In addition,the more pips assigned, the more resistant shields are to attack

ENG: Used to activate emergency thrust (known as Boost).
In addition, the more pips assigned, the more manoeuvrable and fast the ship becomes

WEP: Used to cool the weapon cooling loop

Steckersaurus
January 2 2015, 02:43:42 PM
So as tempting as it is to put all your power in weapons and engines, don't do it.

Equium Duo
January 2 2015, 02:55:49 PM
So, I have about 1.6mil Cr doing some trading. I want to try some combat, should i just refit my cobra, or swap it for something else? If so please suggest a fit.

I like gimballed multicannons, should I be using something else as a combat noob?

Sandzibar
January 2 2015, 03:02:58 PM
So as tempting as it is to put all your power in weapons and engines, don't do it.

TBH You should be redirecting your power depending on the situation. 4pips in shields wont help much when you're sitting on a targets arse, taking no fire.

Shaikar
January 2 2015, 03:16:15 PM
So, I have about 1.6mil Cr doing some trading. I want to try some combat, should i just refit my cobra, or swap it for something else? If so please suggest a fit.

I like gimballed multicannons, should I be using something else as a combat noob?
"Try" as in first time?

Eagles are good - very cheap and nippy and force you to learn how to fly as they don't have much of a tank.
2x fixed burst lasers and 1x gimballed multicannon is a good combo for an eagle. Take the shields down with the lasers, then use everything on the hull.
You don't really need anything else to get started at USS or a RES site, but adding an interdictor lets you grab things out of supercruise and shield cells are pro once you've got power management and dodging down enough that your shields are up for a reasonable amount of time.

Start off with sidewinders, eagles and the smaller hauler-type craft as your victims, expand to vipers and cobras once you've got the hang of things.

You could refit your cobra just fine, but another ship leaves your existing money maker intact and means you've got less of a rebuy for when you leeroy into an anaconda without thinking it through. I also just don't like how the cobra flies, but YMMV. :)

Yvella
January 2 2015, 08:19:37 PM
WTB Elite fitting tool...

Izo Azlion
January 2 2015, 08:33:38 PM

"Try" as in first time?

Eagles are good - very cheap and nippy and force you to learn how to fly as they don't have much of a tank.
2x fixed burst lasers and 1x gimballed multicannon is a good combo for an eagle. Take the shields down with the lasers, then use everything on the hull.
You don't really need anything else to get started at USS or a RES site, but adding an interdictor lets you grab things out of supercruise and shield cells are pro once you've got power management and dodging down enough that your shields are up for a reasonable amount of time.

Start off with sidewinders, eagles and the smaller hauler-type craft as your victims, expand to vipers and cobras once you've got the hang of things.

You could refit your cobra just fine, but another ship leaves your existing money maker intact and means you've got less of a rebuy for when you leeroy into an anaconda without thinking it through. I also just don't like how the cobra flies, but YMMV. :)

Whats the best way to earn money through combat? I'm not looking for billions here, I'd just like to do a lot of combat and make the most specifically from combat. Trading is awful.

morpheps
January 2 2015, 08:36:27 PM
Hang around in either USS or RES and kill stuff. Or do kill missions.

Izo Azlion
January 2 2015, 08:41:45 PM

I read something about hanging out in Anarchy Nav Beacons?

Ralara
January 2 2015, 08:46:11 PM
Found an anaconda res. The first one I got to 40% Hull then someone fired *something* and it exploded. 5 mins of work gone. Then another appeared and I went in to kill it and it blew me up in one shot.

Currently have an Eagle with 3x beam lasers. Can take a Cobra Shields down in one burst then each 'full' firing sequence takes down 15% Hull.

Got bored of police going red to me in a federation system so went to an anarchy one. No res sites but an asteroids belt. Visited it and came across an imperial cruiser vs a python, both wanted. Killed both, 35k each :-)

Izo Azlion
January 2 2015, 08:49:32 PM
Found an anaconda res. The first one I got to 40% Hull then someone fired *something* and it exploded. 5 mins of work gone. Then another appeared and I went in to kill it and it blew me up in one shot.

Currently have an Eagle with 3x beam lasers. Can take a Cobra Shields down in one burst then each 'full' firing sequence takes down 15% Hull

Use Y to target different subsystems. The reason it died was because its FSD or Power modules were blown up before the hull - this is what you should do on anything bigger than a Cobra IMO.

Cosmin
January 2 2015, 09:53:18 PM

I read something about hanging out in Anarchy Nav Beacons?

Basically any nav beacon will do if no RES are available, I bagged a 75k Anaconda couple days ago, was jackpot for me back then :)

Cosmin
January 3 2015, 08:48:40 AM

Well I bought it with all the bells and whistles (all expansions and premium beta), still no permit, wat do?

Is it worth it fitting anything than D stuff for exploration? Got my ASP today but I've replaced the power plant with a better one (because fuel scooping is easier) and just splurged from there on different shinies and ended up with a 30ly unladen jump range (guns and all included).

Torashuu
January 3 2015, 08:54:09 AM

By 800 you mean 400. am I confusing it with the fed dropship? One of them is a heavy pig.

for combat money making I have been having most success finding them kill missions of which you can do 2/h average.

Hoggbert
January 3 2015, 09:34:34 AM
Tried my hand at proper piracy in a cobra fitted with a decent amount of cargo (32), limpet hatch breaker, cargoscanner, interdictor, 2 medium beams and 2 small multicannons.
Very fun, yet not amazing profits. Made roughly 35k in 1 hour or so. Need to familiarize myself with whats worth stealing and what isnt.
Also having an elephant in chinaware store of a wingman, smashing most of the valuable ones didnt help either.
Just chill out at an anarchy navpoint, scan things coming in, beam away shields and limpet/shoot off cargohatch. Using a killscanner will probably boost the total profits as well.

Almost a bit like mining asteroids with a nasty temper.

Lana Torrin
January 3 2015, 12:24:53 PM

Well I bought it with all the bells and whistles (all expansions and premium beta), still no permit, wat do?

Is it worth it fitting anything than D stuff for exploration? Got my ASP today but I've replaced the power plant with a better one (because fuel scooping is easier) and just splurged from there on different shinies and ended up with a 30ly unladen jump range (guns and all included).

All you need for exploration is the 2 scanners (planet and the advanced system), a fuel scoop and a long jump range. Once you get 500Ly out there are no NPC to worry about and the chances of you seeing another player are tiny tiny. Having said that, for that one time where you get interdicted, shields are awesome..

Lana's Exploration tip. Always try and keep your fuel bay over half full. Its easy to do on an Asp as 100Ly will only empty about half of it so all you need to do is scoop to full while plotting the next set of jumps. You WILL end up finding 3 or 4 systems in a row you cant scoop from and having the reserves makes it safer.

CastleBravo
January 3 2015, 12:36:37 PM
Apparently, you can buy modules for a discount at the founder's world, and then sell them for full price at the same station...

Cosmin
January 3 2015, 12:45:16 PM
Apparently, you can buy modules for a discount at the founder's world, and then sell them for full price at the same station...

Should I open a ticket that I don't have a founder's world permit although I had premium beta?

In other news, bought and fitted an ASP and by Jove I love this ship. The thruster sound is absolutely fantastic <3

Saul
January 3 2015, 01:40:10 PM

It's been tested: no you can't, for modules or ships.

Darkening
January 3 2015, 02:51:50 PM
Sold up the viper and went back to the cobra.

Went from barely managing 30k to 120k an hour and having to be careful with the little muppets in system to killing said muppets.

QuackBot
January 3 2015, 04:00:12 PM
Hang in there mate, i'm free to be your emotional punching bag on irc anytime~ no but seriously hope you're okay, i don't either.

Helfix
January 4 2015, 08:06:56 PM
Sold up the viper and went back to the cobra.

Went from barely managing 30k to 120k an hour and having to be careful with the little muppets in system to killing said muppets.

How were you set up in your viper and how many credits did you dump into it?

Sandzibar
January 4 2015, 09:00:10 PM
Table for the shield capacity combos for each ship. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LhGGt9y0ga5HiV1tZL6k-hx4U_fIWY0IHES69Lc317U/pubhtml?gid=2011892275&single=true)

Python OP. :D

Izo Azlion
January 4 2015, 09:06:26 PM
No wonder my B Type Class 5 Shields in my ASP feel shit. They are fractionally better than the Viper, but the Viper can move.

Fffffffuuuuuuuuuu

CastleBravo
January 4 2015, 10:23:16 PM
Table for the shield capacity combos for each ship. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LhGGt9y0ga5HiV1tZL6k-hx4U_fIWY0IHES69Lc317U/pubhtml?gid=2011892275&single=true)

Where did you get that data?

I'm just curious of the source and method since other testing I have seen showed that having lower shield class on your ship didn't have as great of an effect.

Sandzibar
January 5 2015, 10:34:21 AM

Where did you get that data?

I'm just curious of the source and method since other testing I have seen showed that having lower shield class on your ship didn't have as great of an effect.

Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2rat2v/absolute_shield_ratings_for_various/). Testing done by jdvbelle (https://www.reddit.com/user/jdvbelle) expanding on his previous shield investigations here (https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2r813l/shield_classrating_testing_results/).

Lana Torrin
January 5 2015, 10:40:44 AM
So today I realized that a federal dropship is 37Mil not 17Mil....

Sandzibar
January 5 2015, 10:42:41 AM

Yeah I was wondering about that.. Clipper is 22mil and it doesnt seem to be hugely different to the drop ship - some would say its better.

me.

FORTEHEMPRAR!

Mona
January 6 2015, 12:32:28 AM
Elite Fitting Tool. :D

http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/

CastleBravo
January 6 2015, 04:50:52 AM

Yeah I was wondering about that.. Clipper is 22mil and it doesnt seem to be hugely different to the drop ship - some would say its better.

me.

FORTEHEMPRAR!

The dropship looks useless to me. I think a good role for it would have been giving it a superb tank since it is, you know, a dropship.

Lana Torrin
January 6 2015, 07:04:56 AM
Elite Fitting Tool. :D

http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/

Awww im not getting Beta insurance..