PDA

View Full Version : Exploration - Where you bitches going/been?

Pages : [1] 2

Lana Torrin
January 1 2015, 01:46:01 AM
So im still on route to NGC 7822. Going is getting tough. Wheres everyone else going?

Also

This warpin frightened the shit out of me.. I also took heat damage before I could get away from them.
http://onebit.us/x/i/ilhtGxQkUf.png

May have found a way in.. Getting close now.
http://onebit.us/x/i/ghN0wYkIDH.png

Approaching Walrus
January 1 2015, 02:04:24 AM
I wanted to go to the Cat's Eye Nebula but it's wayyy above the galactic plane and there is nothing to target inside it.

I think I will go to the Coalsack for my first trip.

Also for anyone wanting to go to the core: don't. The systems there are bugged and your character will get stuck.

Lana Torrin
January 1 2015, 02:40:10 AM
OK... What the actual fuck.

ngc 7822 sector jh-v c2-2

The more I look around the more interesting this gets.. Looks like half the region is locked out.

Izo Azlion
January 1 2015, 06:02:16 AM
Bought myself a Cobra after making a "shitload" of money in belts popping Anaconda's - This has been fun but Hogg an I bought Cobras and fitted for some decent range and here we are a distance from home.

What now?

The Cobra feels awful in combat, vulnerable and slow against its cheaper (but less exploration capable counterpart).

I either need to make a lot of money fast, or start killing players.

QuackBot
January 1 2015, 08:00:13 AM
OK... What the actual fuck.

ngc 7822 sector jh-v c2-2

The more I look around the more interesting this gets.. Looks like half the region is locked out.
Ok what the fuck is it hairy trying that on i/i.

Ben Derindar
January 1 2015, 08:49:44 AM
I'm currently somewhere between Achenar and Lave. Once I get to Lave I'm gonna look up my old trading route from the original Elite to see if it's still there.

Don't want to go anywhere too far off until I have an A grade FSD and an advanced discovery scanner on my Cobra.

Torashuu
January 1 2015, 09:56:12 AM
Bought myself a Cobra after making a "shitload" of money in belts popping Anaconda's - This has been fun but Hogg an I bought Cobras and fitted for some decent range and here we are a distance from home.

What now?

The Cobra feels awful in combat, vulnerable and slow against its cheaper (but less exploration capable counterpart).

Make money, fit it to the standard of previous ship and/or A grade internals. Then try again. imho Cobra isn't great at combat, but some people swear by it.

Darkening
January 1 2015, 10:33:17 AM
Does the advanced discovery scanner scan the whole system or is it just a faster single scan of planets?

Saul
January 1 2015, 10:56:51 AM
Does the advanced discovery scanner scan the whole system or is it just a faster single scan of planets?

Basic Discovery Scanner has a range of 500 light seconds. Intermediate has 1000ls range, and the Advanced scans the entire system regardless of range. If you're going serious explorer, don't leave home without the Advanced.

Edit: Also, leave home in something bigger than a Cobra. A Cobra will get you around 1-2k ly away from the core systems before the jump range drives you space-mad - it's just not enough for really long distances.

Constantinus
January 1 2015, 02:10:17 PM

What now?

Where do you find Anacondas? Best i manage to get in extraction sites are lowly Cobras.

Approaching Walrus
January 1 2015, 04:26:52 PM
Stolen from Reddit

http://i.imgur.com/drpwsZb.jpg

Cosmin
January 1 2015, 07:24:07 PM
So before I venture out, should I get an ASP or stick with my almost full grade A Cobra? I'm worried about ship hull durability, wat do.

Saul
January 1 2015, 07:52:40 PM
So before I venture out, should I get an ASP or stick with my almost full grade A Cobra? I'm worried about ship hull durability, wat do.

Get an Asp. It'll mean a longer wait before you go but an infinitely more tolerable journey.

Cosmin
January 1 2015, 08:24:52 PM
Back to the rare grind it is, then :)

Kraken
January 1 2015, 10:01:27 PM
would you D fit it for lower mass apart from FSD the asp for exploring? is it any good for combat also as an upgrade to the cobra for pew pew funs?

Constantinus
January 1 2015, 10:53:10 PM
Instead of the Asp, i would have a good look at the Lakon Type 6 for exploration. It is still somewhat affordable, has almost the asp's jumprange and should have all the internal slots one would ever want as an explorer.

Cosmin
January 1 2015, 11:24:07 PM
Instead of the Asp, i would have a good look at the Lakon Type 6 for exploration. It is still somewhat affordable, has almost the asp's jumprange and should have all the internal slots one would ever want as an explorer.

I'm running a Type 6 now for rare trading and I kinda like the maneouvrability and stuffs, it isn't bad for what it is and it's quite affordable to outfit nicely.

morpheps
January 1 2015, 11:33:41 PM
Yeah, it's decent. Mine does around 220/350 and jumps 28 LY unladen IIRC. Drop the cargobays and you have room for scanners etc. Doesnt feel quite like an Asp though. The problem with the Asp is that upgrades are so bloody expensive, and ditto repairs..

Lana Torrin
January 1 2015, 11:48:16 PM
would you D fit it for lower mass apart from FSD the asp for exploring? is it any good for combat also as an upgrade to the cobra for pew pew funs?

I've D fit mine except for the jump drive.. I should have also underfit shields and no guns..

Lana Torrin
January 2 2015, 11:38:18 AM
So I found life floating around a blackhole... Also I recorded one.. If anyone interested in seeing one (or seeing inside a nebula) then here (http://xmode.homeftp.org/share/Blackhole.mp4).

Lana Torrin
January 3 2015, 08:03:22 AM
Im back!

It took me 4 hours of actual flight to make it back from the nebula. Thats without scanning any systems down (just the one can as I was waiting for the jump drive to cool off) and not counting the times I had to relog (and the time I got pissed off and left it for about 2 hours). It has also just taken me 45 fucking mins to sell each system individually as there is no sell all button.. I had 3 systems net me over 80k each (best was 88k) and a handful more systems net me more than 60k. The stars in the nebula seemed to be the money systems as many of them had blackholes.

All up I found 5 earth-like planets. I also found countless terraform candidates and a tone of planets with life on them. I made a grand total of 2,587,902 credits.. The dual sun system that almost cooked me ended up costing me about 100k in repairs..

tulip
January 3 2015, 10:51:05 AM
Worth noting as I don't think it's been said here but you can't sell cartographical data of a system until you're 20LY away from where you got the data, even if it's a completely unexplored system. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in any of the guides I've read.

Equium Duo
January 3 2015, 12:00:30 PM
I put a basic scanner on my ship and pinged it on the jump in at every system doing the rates runs. I was making 500 to 4k per system. Paid for all the fuel. Easy.

Straight Hustlin
January 3 2015, 02:05:03 PM
Just curious, but is there anyway to speed up the surface scans?

Not sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Cosmin
January 3 2015, 02:14:00 PM
Just curious, but is there anyway to speed up the surface scans?

Not sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Don't really think so, it's actually what makes exploring annoying imo (sporting an advanced discovery scanner and an advanced surface scanner).

Lady Spank
January 3 2015, 04:04:23 PM
Another find from Reddit.

Essentially a re-interpretation of the infographics from above in a more succinct form. Looks useful for quick reference.

Direct image (http://i.imgur.com/nsI1V08.jpg) | Wallpaper Version (http://i.imgur.com/exEcxKA.jpg) | Reddit Discussion Thread (http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2r5yp8/a_visual_guide_to_exploration/)

Saul
January 3 2015, 04:23:25 PM
Was just about to post that! Looks handy, saving it for my longer trip.

Saul
January 3 2015, 10:45:52 PM
Got bored of margin trading in the Type 7, so traded it all in and decked out an Asp with full A Type mods and all the exploration gear, 26LY jump range. Just passed the Pipe (Stem) and (Bowl) and am headed coreward again. Planning to be out for quite a while on this one.

Cosmin
January 4 2015, 09:44:31 PM
Heading towards the core myself, but got interdicted on the way by a clipper which tore me a new one thanks to :firegroups:, managed to turn it around at 50% hull but very damaged all around and he buggered off before I could finish him off, so no bounty. Docked up nearby, 150k reps, fml. Continuing tomorrow.

Sent via iPigeon.

Lana Torrin
January 4 2015, 10:23:28 PM
I'm getting itchy again... Sold up my type6. Planned to get a type 7 but I couldn't find one and they had an asp... D fit with an A jump drive.. 32Ly empty...

I noticed on my way back last time that while polaris is a restricted system, there were a lot of interesting looking stars around it. I might go have a look.. It's only 400Ly out.. Shouldn't take long.. Then I might go check out a few smaller nebula I found.

Tapaderpin old skool

Kraken
January 5 2015, 08:14:18 PM
Xihe Zhen Dock has 13 ships so should have type 7, its a high tech and refinary station so it has the top A4 mods, dont know if it has higher though but might be a good place to visit if you need to get good shit for your ship.

Saul
January 5 2015, 08:40:28 PM
Heading towards the core myself, but got interdicted on the way by a clipper which tore me a new one thanks to :firegroups:, managed to turn it around at 50% hull but very damaged all around and he buggered off before I could finish him off, so no bounty. Docked up nearby, 150k reps, fml. Continuing tomorrow.

Sent via iPigeon.

Just noted on reddit that the core systems may still be bugged (stuck in ship spin loading or disconnect on jump), so you might not want to get too close for a while.

Cosmin
January 5 2015, 08:52:40 PM
LHS 3505 has the ASP and the A5 FSD for it as well as a lot of excellent fittings.

Lana Torrin
January 7 2015, 01:21:51 PM
So the bug has bitten me again and I went looking through all the interesting looking stars I saw on my way back last time near Polaris.. If anyone knows how to get the system pass for Polaris please speak up, but im guessing there isn't one..

Oh I also found an earth-like on the first system I scanned down. I'm only like 300Ly out.. Literally no one has an excuse not to check this stuff out. You could do this in a slightly upgraded sidewinder..

Hoggbert
January 7 2015, 06:01:14 PM
If scanning planets/moons didnt take half a day maybe, the little exploration i did was anything but enjoyable. Finding systems with lots of celestials in is just terrifying since it will take an hour for you to get a move on.
If there is some technique to it i'll gladly listen, but so far exploration seem like the dullest, most tedious and lowest paying thing you can do in elite. I was using advanced celestial scanner and advanced surface scanner.
4 hours of intense scannings paid 80k or so. What am i doing wrong?

PS! I read somewhere on the official forum that certain system permits arent in the game yet, for instance achenar, the imperial homeworld is impossible to get into for the time being.

Saul
January 7 2015, 06:39:50 PM
If scanning planets/moons didnt take half a day maybe, the little exploration i did was anything but enjoyable. Finding systems with lots of celestials in is just terrifying since it will take an hour for you to get a move on.
If there is some technique to it i'll gladly listen, but so far exploration seem like the dullest, most tedious and lowest paying thing you can do in elite. I was using advanced celestial scanner and advanced surface scanner.
4 hours of intense scannings paid 80k or so. What am i doing wrong?

PS! I read somewhere on the official forum that certain system permits arent in the game yet, for instance achenar, the imperial homeworld is impossible to get into for the time being.

See Spank's post above for a useful infographic on what is and isn't worth scanning. 80k payouts means you're either scanning worthless ice-balls much of the time, or are too close to populated systems/frequently used routes (e.g the rough straight line from populated space to the galactic core).

If it's the former, use the infographic and only scan what's worth scanning. I jump from system to system hitting the advanced scanner on arrival, lining myself up for the next jump and checking the system view before I jump. If it's a system with plenty of metallics or an earthlike/water world, I'll turn away from the jump and detailed surface scan all relatively profitable planets within a few thousand LS of the star (avoiding all ice worlds and the lower profit gas giants, and anything over about 4k LS away, unless it's very profitable). If it's not, I jump on to the next one.

Never scan asteroid belts or moons. The range at which scans can be conducted decreases in line with the mass of the body in question, and the (comparatively) tiny mass of a moon or belt requires scan ranges of 6-7 LS, sometimes lower. They pay peanuts and it's just not worth the hassle.

If it's the latter, you're not far enough away or on a heavy traffic route. As more players scan a system, the value of those scans decreases, with the biggest payout going to the first. By now I would expect everything within 3-400 LY of populated space, a good chunk of the main route towards the galactic core and all of the nearby nebulas will have been scanned at least once. Just because no system data is present when you scan it doesn't mean someone won't beat you home and sell their scan before you sell yours; data is only populated on the map for others once the scan is sold (and even then it might take time before it becomes 'live' to all players).

Hoggbert
January 7 2015, 06:43:58 PM
Excellent reply, thanks! I'm an idiot and guilty of both your charges, ahem, i will try this again now

Saul
January 7 2015, 09:42:43 PM
No worries.

Not had time to play for a few days but just managed another 500 or so LY, at the very edge of the spiral arm now. Still not decided what I'm going to do when I reach the next arm over.

Kraken
January 7 2015, 10:22:27 PM
exploration seems like a solo activity? should you head towards a particular nebula or head towards the center of the galaxy or the edge?

Hoggbert
January 7 2015, 10:59:32 PM
Did a slight blip into the unknown in a cobra, but turned around and decided i need to haul in some credits for a proper asp. Made 330k ish now though, which is not too bad, most of it from one system i found with multiple high metal content and some water based life etc.

Lana Torrin
January 7 2015, 10:59:38 PM
exploration seems like a solo activity? should you head towards a particular nebula or head towards the center of the galaxy or the edge?

There is no should.. My only advice is big bright nebula attract a lot of people.

Tapaderpin old skool

Saul
January 7 2015, 11:28:41 PM

There is no should.. My only advice is big bright nebula attract a lot of people.

Tapaderpin old skool

Yeah, this is the whole point. It's up to you. For me, I kinda like the idea that I might be quite literally the first person to ever lay eyes on that system or planet or whatever. With 4 billion-odd stars the developers certainly haven't seen them all, and player exploration has barely scratched the surface at this stage.

Approaching Walrus
January 9 2015, 01:35:28 AM
Someone visited the earth-sized planet Kepler 438b which was patched into the game recently after it's discovery recently.

http://i.imgur.com/kpC11QB.png

Kraken
January 11 2015, 08:36:52 PM
which direction should i head, towards the galaxy edge or the center?

Lana Torrin
January 11 2015, 11:37:54 PM
which direction should i head, towards the galaxy edge or the center?

Colesack is a good starting nebula as it's not far out (although there isn't much to see). If you want a long trip look up V404 (I think it's V). Should be a black hole about 3000ly out. There are a couple of really interesting distractions on the way. I never ended up making it to the black hole....

I did a short run out to polaris. The system its self needs a pass but some of the surrounding systems were nice (and 2 netted me over 100k in data each). It's also really close.

I'm heading out to the cat paw (?) nebula at the moment, then it's off to the eagle nebula (then toward the core)

Tapaderpin old skool

Darkening
January 12 2015, 01:16:32 PM
Once i have the funds and the ship setup i'm heading for Vela constellation, plan on surveying the planetary nebula NGC 3132 it's nice and bright (mag 9.9) and only 2,000 LY ( vela pulsar) then will be hitting the open cluster on the way back as it's 580ly out.

Kraken
January 15 2015, 03:43:32 PM
heading out now, when you head somewhere do you just try to plot 100LY at a time in the approx direction you want to go? wont you miss a lot of systems in between the 30odd LY jumps? is it just hoping that the system you land in each of those jumps has some cool stuff to scan?

Do you quickly advanced system scan the system then pull up the system map and then see if it shows anything cool worth detailed scanning?

Saul
January 15 2015, 04:56:48 PM
Yeah plot 100 LY at a time or closest you can get.

Yes you miss a lot of systems. If you stopped for even half of them you'd never get anywhere, so yes - blap the ADS on entry into a new system, scoop if required, align for next jump and then check system map. Any water/terrestrial/metal rich/metallic worlds within a few thousand LS of the entry star are worth scanning.

Do not scan moons or roid belts as they pay little/nothing. Don't bother with ice worlds either, or anything too far from the main star (unless it's a water/terrestrial).

Would recommend making a shortish trip the first time. It's very easy to lose motivation when you're a long way out.

Kraken
January 15 2015, 06:14:21 PM
is there any way to tell what systems have been scanned for the first time? does it tell you when you come to sell the data?

is it based on first to scan or first to sell the scanned data?

Saul
January 15 2015, 06:38:09 PM
is there any way to tell what systems have been scanned for the first time? does it tell you when you come to sell the data?

is it based on first to scan or first to sell the scanned data?

First to sell I believe. If you die you lose the scans you've not sold.

If you can view a system map for the system in question, even if it's just the star, then someone's been there before you. If you can't select the system map, then either no-one's been there, or if they have they've not sold it yet.

QuackBot
January 15 2015, 08:00:13 PM
Yeah plot 100 LY at a time or closest you can get.

Yes you miss a lot of systems. If you stopped for even half of them you'd never get anywhere, so yes - blap the ADS on entry into a new system, scoop if required, align for next jump and then check system map. Any water/terrestrial/metal rich/metallic worlds within a few thousand LS of the entry star are worth scanning.

Do not scan moons or roid belts as they pay little/nothing. Don't bother with ice worlds either, or anything too far from the main star (unless it's a water/terrestrial).

Would recommend making a shortish trip the first time. It's very easy to lose motivation when you're a long way out.
Not even then.

Kraken
January 15 2015, 10:40:44 PM
id post screenshots but my screenshots are 10.5mb being 1440p screen i run. and imgur doesnt like over 10mb. le sigh.

Kraken
January 15 2015, 11:27:52 PM
how do you know which systems have fancy stars and bodies? is it say from the info on the star map or only once you D scan in system will you know? pot luck otherwise?

tulip
January 15 2015, 11:34:20 PM
how do you know which systems have fancy stars and bodies? is it say from the info on the star map or only once you D scan in system will you know? pot luck otherwise?

The system maps are updated when players sell the data, so if a system hasn't been scanned and that data sold then the information is unavailable on the system map.

It's also worth noting that the maps only contain data retrieved, so if someone just discovery scans a system then none of the more detailed information on the contents will be shown until someone else scans the contents one by one properly.

Star systems are also impressively accurate, if there is hard data on a system's content irl then it'll probably be there in game, so if you fancy visiting something interesting in the galaxy then go forth and find notable phenomena where they're supposed to be.

Kraken
January 16 2015, 12:19:57 AM
from the star map when i hover over a system it just says M4 V for the side and heat of the stars in the system from the info tab. its how im chosing what systems i visit, interesting stars, like A, Fs, Bs etc i go there rather than boring Ks and Ms unless they are very bright, i use the realistic view to see whats going on with the stars. None of the systems show me anything though that ive been to until i do the Dscanner thing to reveal what bodies there are in system. i presume that means that im the first to visit?

Kraken
January 16 2015, 02:15:13 AM
HIP 97394 + HIP 19318 if you are near the start place, civilisation, sol, and want to start exploration, id recommend these systems first.

Hip 97 seems to have two O star which could be cool and HIP 19 seems to have two blackholes! id love to see how they interact together.

im about 1100 LY away from them heading away so i cant check them myself. they are only about 100 LY or 200 LY from SOL i believe...

Lana Torrin
January 16 2015, 05:02:43 AM
HIP 97394 + HIP 19318 if you are near the start place, civilisation, sol, and want to start exploration, id recommend these systems first.

Hip 97 seems to have two O star which could be cool and HIP 19 seems to have two blackholes! id love to see how they interact together.

im about 1100 LY away from them heading away so i cant check them myself. they are only about 100 LY or 200 LY from SOL i believe...

They will just orbit each other..

You used to get some funky ass lensing effect between them but I think it was technically a bug..

Also they have to be really close to eachother.

Liare
January 19 2015, 12:53:02 PM
is the adder worth using for this or is it "get a fucking asp, you scrublord!" ?
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30g,0Wg0Wg0Wg0Wg,2-8S8S7_6u6u8S8I,08c50U7Q40KympT2UI2jw
32 LY
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30f,mpV0Wg0Wg,2-5K5K4s2C3m5K5A,4zM7Q40JO2jw2UI
24 LY

it could be nice with something relaxing to muck about with when now and then when pew pewing things in my Viper gets old, and the investment difference is rather sizable especially if you accidentally go sun-surfing.

tulip
January 19 2015, 02:21:08 PM
is the adder worth using for this or is it "get a fucking asp, you scrublord!" ?
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30g,0Wg0Wg0Wg0Wg,2-8S8S7_6u6u8S8I,08c50U7Q40KympT2UI2jw
32 LY
24 LY

it could be nice with something relaxing to muck about with when now and then when pew pewing things in my Viper gets old, and the investment difference is rather sizable especially if you accidentally go sun-surfing.

The hauler actually has a decent jump range and enough slots for scanners, scoop etc. If you're feeling really ghetto...

Liare
January 19 2015, 02:25:07 PM
32 LY
24 LY

The hauler actually has a decent jump range and enough slots for scanners, scoop etc. If you're feeling really ghetto...and you get better range out of it than the adder.
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30V,mpT0Wg0Wg,2-3m3m3I2C2C2C3c,4zq2jw7OW2UI

:wat:

why even have the Adder in the first place then? the biggest difference between the two is the auto-repair unit that adds nothing in terms of range penalty

Hoggbert
January 19 2015, 02:30:14 PM
the adder is a better hauler than the hauler :p

Kraken
January 19 2015, 03:23:04 PM
adder has more max cargo i think and some weapon capability. its a multirole like a baby cobra if you want an alternative to a no cargo-no jumprange eagle. hauler has no pew ability and has a few more drawbacks afaik.

Liare
January 19 2015, 03:36:48 PM
adder has more max cargo i think and some weapon capability. its a multirole like a baby cobra if you want an alternative to a no cargo-no jumprange eagle. hauler has no pew ability and has a few more drawbacks afaik.the adder was initially pitched as a low cost exploration/trading platform though.

Kraken
January 19 2015, 03:39:02 PM
adder has more max cargo i think and some weapon capability. its a multirole like a baby cobra if you want an alternative to a no cargo-no jumprange eagle. hauler has no pew ability and has a few more drawbacks afaik.the adder was initially pitched as a low cost exploration/trading platform though.

well you can still do both, its an ok trading platform i suppose. just hauler is better at exploration. the slight extra cost reflects the Adders slightly more multirole pew pew abilities. BUT

Dont go exploring with either. without an advanced system scanner you are doing exploration on retardedly pointless mode.

Hoggbert
January 19 2015, 04:17:07 PM
theres no reason you cant fit an advanced scanner to a hauler. Using that instead of an asp only mean you dont have to scan half the galaxy to break even from the initial investment

Liare
January 19 2015, 04:38:19 PM
theres no reason you cant fit an advanced scanner to a hauler. Using that instead of an asp only mean you dont have to scan half the galaxy to break even from the initial investment
precisely what i was thinking in terms of a ghetto exploration ship :)

Kraken
January 19 2015, 04:54:28 PM

i suppose. i guess my thinking is is that if you can afford an advanced scanner you can afford a cobra and spend a few hours doing some rare trade runs. could then get the type 6 or the asp and do some trade runs and then go exploring in style. You also need the detailed scanner which is another 250k with that stuff. The smallish fuel scoop and smallish fuel bay could be painful.

Lana Torrin
January 20 2015, 10:43:17 PM
So I haven't been playing a whole heap.. Last time I logged off I was just starting to bridge the gap between our galactic arm and the one closer in.

Tapaderpin old skool

Kraken
January 20 2015, 11:02:33 PM
im on my way back from my trip. got 1800 LY away, not very far. but i guess you dont need to go far right? plenty of space not that far to scan, especially if the key is to find earthlike worlds?

Saul
January 21 2015, 06:49:13 PM
So I haven't been playing a whole heap.. Last time I logged off I was just starting to bridge the gap between our galactic arm and the one closer in.

Tapaderpin old skool

Leaving the Spiral Arm is a bitch. I made it most of the way to the next arm but the distance crushed my motivation. It takes so long to get out there, and knowing you've got to do the same distance back is awful. I stopped playing for a bit, turned around, stopped again. I think I'm 2k LY out still, will get moving again at the weekend.

If there was something out there, if there *could* be something out there, I'd be more motivated. But there isn't. It's just scanning rocks in supercruise. For thousands upon thousands of LY.

tulip
January 22 2015, 08:43:00 PM
Wow, exploration's income is a joke, especially when you can only hand in one system's data at a time.

For Example (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=98852&page=3&p=1584564&viewfull=1#post1584564); "I just finished... It took me 8 hours to hand it all in! Profit from 2,512 systems visited was 13,228,431. Compared to trading, it is pretty bad, so don't do it for the money. I did get to Ranger tho, and it seems Pathfinder is at 30M credits."

Jack Coutu
January 23 2015, 04:51:33 PM
From the newsletter.

"Massive Effect
It’s a big galaxy out there. Players have been out exploring Elite: Dangerous’ full-scale recreation of the Milky Way since launch, and together you’ve discovered 615,475 previously uncharted systems of the 400 billion in our galaxy.

On a simple average, that’s 17,585 systems per day, 732 per hour or 12 per minute. Good going, everyone.

But let’s put that in context, because with 400 billion star systems to explore the community have charted just 0.00015 percent of our galaxy. Let’s put it another way: if everyone keeps going at the current rate, it will take 150,895 years to map the entire Milky Way.

But with new players joining every day, we might just get the galaxy mapped before the turn of the hundred and seventieth century."

Make it more interesting and it could prove to be something that provides content for a very very long time.

Saul
January 23 2015, 08:21:48 PM
This dude's got stones:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103513

Procellus
January 27 2015, 12:59:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4yicwle.jpg

Rigel, its pretty fucking big

Lana Torrin
January 27 2015, 05:42:26 AM
This dude's got stones:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103513

Well... Guess I need a new destination then...

Liare
January 27 2015, 07:20:45 PM
question for you explorer types, large fuel tank or smaller tank in exchange for more range ?

Saul
January 27 2015, 08:33:09 PM
Would go for large personally as refueling every 4-5 jumps is a hassle. You always want a good quarter tank spare in case you end up in an area short on suitable stars.

Lana Torrin
January 28 2015, 08:36:40 AM
Would go for large personally as refueling every 4-5 jumps is a hassle. You always want a good quarter tank spare in case you end up in an area short on suitable stars.

This. It doesn't make a huge difference really. I went smaller fuel scoop this time and its working ok.. Plot 100ly course, park at star and refuel, use the time to plot the next part of the trip.

I also try and keep half my tank full so I can always return to the last place I filled up. It's only been an issue one when trying to get in to a nebula.

Tapaderpin old skool

morpheps
January 28 2015, 09:07:59 AM
Planning a 7000 LY trip to one of the top 10 largest known stars (KY Cygni). Started by visiting Sol and the Voyager probe.

http://i.imgur.com/6A1ZRGU.jpg

Procellus
January 28 2015, 09:44:19 AM
I was thinking of doing that but I couldn't find UY Scuti. So after I hit the Orion nebula complex going to hit all the stars in the Orion constellation

morpheps
January 28 2015, 09:56:57 AM
Couldn't find UY Scuti either, but went down the list a bit and found KY Cygni.

tulip
January 28 2015, 02:13:13 PM

Their often simply there under one of their aliases, have you tried;

Other designations
UY Sct, BD-12 5055, IRC -10422, RAFGL 2162, HV 3805?

morpheps
January 28 2015, 02:49:48 PM

Their often simply there under one of their aliases, have you tried;

Other designations
UY Sct, BD-12 5055, IRC -10422, RAFGL 2162, HV 3805?

Yupp, I've searched for those as well, found neither.

Procellus
January 29 2015, 12:10:50 AM
Yeah tried those already teds. I r smert

Lana Torrin
January 31 2015, 04:28:05 AM
http://onebit.us/x/i/ELt5mCtVvw.png

QuackBot
January 31 2015, 08:00:11 AM
Yupp, I've searched for those as well, found neither.
Well, as good as you can before the age of 16 which is seen.

Lana Torrin
February 2 2015, 12:08:51 PM
So based on the theory that the permits that are deep deep out in to space are for future expansion, they are planning to do a fuck load of things around nebula. Lagoon nebula has like 4 systems I cant get in to.

morpheps
February 8 2015, 08:01:20 PM
So based on the theory that the permits that are deep deep out in to space are for future expansion, they are planning to do a fuck load of things around nebula. Lagoon nebula has like 4 systems I cant get in to.

Yeah, I'm in the Pleiades Nebula, and it's the same thing here. From where I am at now (Maia), there's at least 5 systems with permits.

Edit:

Highly interesting system - I'm counting 3 active (1x Class B Blue/White star, 1x Class M-star and 1x Class L-star) stars, 1 black hole and 5x brown dwarfs, in addition to a fair bit of planets and moons. For obvious reasons, navigating in parts of the system is a bit of a bother.

Also; this is what a Black Hole inside a Nebula looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/y7mg7B4.jpg

RazoR
February 9 2015, 05:25:19 AM
I am in 64 Arietis in Weyn Dock which looks like the last station on my way to California Nebula.

My Kobra is adequately fitted for a long journey and i have just enough credits for a full rebuy.

http://onebit.us/x/i/qBiGTJSolq.jpg

Procellus
February 9 2015, 09:43:53 AM
Where'd you get that D4 shield generator? Been looking for one

Torashuu
February 9 2015, 09:51:22 AM
Look for high tech high population systems, they sell the most goodies. Also their offerings change every 15 minutes iirc. It functions basically like a mmo boss loot table with the more expensive stuff being rare to show up.

RazoR
February 9 2015, 10:49:53 AM
Look for high tech high population systems, they sell the most goodies. Also their offerings change every 15 minutes iirc. It functions basically like a mmo boss loot table with the more expensive stuff being rare to show up.Nope. I have scoured like 5 HiTec and found jackshit when it comes to 4th class bling.
Think i got this shield right there in 64 Arietis which is bumfuck nowhere industrial.

Found a system with 2 funky argon atmo water worlds.

Torashuu
February 9 2015, 01:07:07 PM
As I said its constantly changing and its a table with possibility values for each item. But sure disagree, I'm sure you know the inner workings better then the people who wrote it. I hear basing statments on probability distributions with sample sizes below ten is excellent practice.

p.s. the high population part is just as important as the high tech part.

RazoR
February 9 2015, 01:25:35 PM
way to be a bitter faggot about it

also

This fucking system :psyblown:

http://onebit.us/x/i/mZkLDTdpS8.jpg

morpheps
February 9 2015, 02:28:31 PM
While there is no need for a hello kitty land - can we please not shit up this sub-forum?

RazoR
February 9 2015, 03:03:25 PM
While there is no need for a hello kitty land - can we please not shit up this sub-forum?

yeah sorry for answering to procellus and posting coolpix

P.S.: fuck off

P.P.S.: Hind Nebula very unimpressive, moving on to California.

Kraken
February 9 2015, 05:23:09 PM
you get a lot of systems with Jovian gas giants like that and a lot of systems with shitloads of brown dwarfs too. they are not worth too much though to explore over another system which probably doesnt need as much warping. Just keep aiming at K and F class star systems, generally single star systems, you will have a better chance of finding earthlike worlds in those from what i understand, a star most similar to our own will have more likely hood of having earthlike shit. thats where some money form exploration comes. otherwise aim for blackhole and neutron stars to supliment the actuallynoincome.

RazoR
February 9 2015, 07:02:47 PM
I'm sightseeing mostly. Going to Polaris after California.

Lana Torrin
February 10 2015, 03:23:17 AM
I'm sightseeing mostly. Going to Polaris after California.

Polaris was a pass system I think. There were some interesting systems around it though.

I'm going to be heading to the Eagle nebula soon. That looks REALLY interesting.

Hels
February 10 2015, 04:34:13 AM
Should I get a cobra or asp for lolsporing?

RazoR
February 10 2015, 04:43:23 AM
Should I get a cobra or asp for lolsporing?Asp jumps further so...

My Kobra has just hauled in around 300 explored systems worth to a fringe outpost. Loading the list up took around 20 seconds.
spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar - spacebar - s - spacebar
1344000 credits get

Got a fuckload of screens, maybe will do a short AAR.

Lana Torrin
February 10 2015, 04:59:13 AM
Oh yeah.. selling exploration data is painful..

Sandzibar
February 10 2015, 11:28:06 PM
Map can be filtered to show scoopable stars. That's pretty win.

RazoR
February 10 2015, 11:44:55 PM
Oh yeah.. selling exploration data is painful..Not anymore \o/

Lana Torrin
February 11 2015, 01:32:52 AM
Oh yeah.. selling exploration data is painful..Not anymore \o/

I need to log back in and keep going then.

Liare
February 15 2015, 09:50:57 AM
ALIENS!
http://onebit.us/x/i/0gRAw6lEpQ.png

also, onebit is broken >.<

anyway, found a gas giant with carbon based life. O.o

Torashuu
February 15 2015, 11:15:19 AM
More common than you think

Liare
February 15 2015, 11:32:55 AM
quite, just found another one with ammonium based life.

Procellus
February 15 2015, 04:11:58 PM
quite, just found another one with ammonium based life.

Cherry

morpheps
February 16 2015, 09:09:40 PM
Woho. Just got back from visiting the Pleiades Nebula, Taurus Dark Region and the California Nebula. Rather uneventful, found a black hole, got some first discoveries and made about 200k. Wondering about pew pew or going out again

RazoR
February 17 2015, 02:49:34 AM
Woho. Just got back from visiting the Pleiades Nebula, Taurus Dark Region and the California Nebula. Rather uneventful, found a black hole, got some first discoveries and made about 200k. Wondering about pew pew or going out againhow the fuck

I've done a rather snappy run to Cali and hauled back 1.3mils.

morpheps
February 17 2015, 05:21:17 AM
Woho. Just got back from visiting the Pleiades Nebula, Taurus Dark Region and the California Nebula. Rather uneventful, found a black hole, got some first discoveries and made about 200k. Wondering about pew pew or going out againhow the fuck

It might be closer to 300k. As I recall, your "snappy" run involved handing in around 300 systems. I turned in around 80.

RazoR
February 17 2015, 05:45:24 AM

It might be closer to 300k. As I recall, your "snappy" run involved handing in around 300 systems. I turned in around 80.I had a hair above 20ly Kobra and made only a slight detour to pleiades (i think) and returned through Polaris.

morpheps
February 17 2015, 05:47:04 AM
Yes, I had an Asp with 33 LY. You did more systems, got more money.

RazoR
February 17 2015, 06:44:28 AM
hax

I have an Asp now but grinding towards A-class FSD is not on my list this week.

morpheps
February 17 2015, 07:23:31 AM
Just embrace the grind and do A-B trading. In an Asp you should be pushing 2-3 mill hour I think.

QuackBot
February 17 2015, 08:00:17 AM
ALIENS!
http://onebit.us/x/i/0gRAw6lEpQ.png

also, onebit is broken >.<

anyway, found a gas giant with carbon based life. O.o
Also is there any 5.x android custom rom out there yet?

Tyrehl
February 17 2015, 10:13:34 AM
Clipper should be fine for exploration, right? I want it for the sexy look (dat ass), I don't care if it's 5% under the optimal solution :D

Liare
February 17 2015, 10:22:53 AM
Clipper should be fine for exploration, right? I want it for the sexy look (dat ass), I don't care if it's 5% under the optimal solution :Dit's worse than the hauler mate, i am not saying you could not do it in a Clipper, but it's really only ahead of the Python,Eagle and Viper in efficiency.

personally, i did a 120 system stint out to the coalsack and back, was pretty fun but in a lightly shielded unarmed hauler the NPC's you get up-to 500 ly from civilized space where a fucking menace, i have high hopes for the Fer-De-Lance though, maybe a armed explorer type setup is possible, it's supposed to be good at everything but cargospace and who the fuck gives a shit about moving literal shit from one station to the other anyway?

Lana Torrin
February 17 2015, 10:58:18 AM
Im almost at the eagle nebula... I really should log in.

RazoR
February 17 2015, 12:28:42 PM
Clipper should be fine for exploration, right?Only second to the intrepid Viper.

1. http://www.edshipyard.com/
2. ???
3. profit

armed explorer1. max energy to engines
2. ???
3. profit

Worked with Cobra (obviously), works with full laden trading Asp.

Kirkland
February 17 2015, 02:43:16 PM
My Exploration Asp is hardly dedicated to the job - getting only about 22LY jump range. I travel out about 1500LY then return home, I'll fight anything that interdicts me and every now and then will run a transport mission in it.

My method for Exploration is simple: filter by star type and then head out to a rare star that I haven't been to before.

Tyrehl
February 17 2015, 04:20:07 PM
Clipper should be fine for exploration, right?Only second to the intrepid Viper.

1. http://www.edshipyard.com/
2. ???
3. profit

Oh nice so this is the ED equivalent of EFT. Not bad :D So are you saying that the Clipper is quite decent for the job or? Im not sure I understand that right. Also is the frameshift drive the only thing that improves jump range? With the best one (I guess?) or something, 5-A, I get around 20LY jump range. Swap some modules randomly and it goes to ~ 23. But literally clicking randomly around and selecting modules I have no clue about.

morpheps
February 17 2015, 04:35:59 PM
Oh nice so this is the ED equivalent of EFT. Not bad :D So are you saying that the Clipper is quite decent for the job or? Im not sure I understand that right. Also is the frameshift drive the only thing that improves jump range? With the best one (I guess?) or something, 5-A, I get around 20LY jump range. Swap some modules randomly and it goes to ~ 23. But literally clicking randomly around and selecting modules I have no clue about.

No, the Clipper is sub-optimal for exploration. Jump range is also affected by mass, so saving weight on modules matter a bit for exploration and long-range hauling. A traditional exploration / hauling fit is D-class modules (except Frame Shift Drive) because those are the lightest.

Edit: by sub-optimal I mean that it is quite expensive and doesn't really have the range to make up for it. A Hauler will get pretty much the same range for a lot less, and since you're already in the Class 5 FSD range, why not go Asp and get good range.

Torashuu
February 17 2015, 04:37:47 PM
Ship mass & FSD determine range. A rated FSdrive gives most range. D rated modules are lowest weight. Smaller modules also weight less, obviously.

So for example the following asp fit will net you most range (do not use it, it would be silly).

[Asp]

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 2D Power Plant
TM: 5D Thrusters
FH: 5A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 4D Life Support
PC: 4D Power Distributor
SS: 5D Sensors
FS: 3C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 8)

---
Shield: 102.60 MJ
Power : 7.22 MW retracted (100%)
7.22 MW deployed (100%)
7.20 MW available
Cargo : 0 T
Fuel : 8 T
Mass : 325.0 T empty
333.0 T full
Range : 36.99 LY unladen
36.99 LY laden
Price : 11,577,833 CR
Re-Buy: 578,892 CR @ 95% insurance

RazoR
February 17 2015, 08:36:09 PM
>exploration
>D class reactors

these fuken noobs

[Asp]

RB: 2A Power Plant
TM: 4D Thrusters
FS: 5C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 32)

6: 6D Fuel Scoop
5: 5D Shield Generator
2: 1C Detailed Surface Scanner
2: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner
---
Shield: 110,83 MJ
Power : 8,87 MW retracted (92%)
8,87 MW deployed (92%)
9,60 MW available
Fuel : 32 T
Mass : 332,6 T empty
364,6 T full
Range : 33,78 LY unladen
33,78 LY laden
Price : 14 126 878 CR
Re-Buy: 706 344 CR @ 95% insurance

Straight Hustlin
February 17 2015, 08:39:31 PM
>exploration
>D class reactors

these fuken noobs

There is literally no reason to have a better reactor if all your doing is exploring the fringe. All you need is enough power for the planet & discovery scanner.

morpheps
February 17 2015, 08:41:56 PM
>exploration
>D class reactors

these fuken noobs

There is literally no reason to have a better reactor if all your doing is exploring the fringe. All you need is enough power for the planet & discovery scanner.

Depends on the ship. For heat management, it helps. You dont want to be knocked out of SC near a black hole or a neutron star with shitty heat management because you wanted to have an additional LY jump range.

RazoR
February 17 2015, 08:47:12 PM
Never mind that 2A is actually lighter than 3D.

#rekt

morpheps
February 17 2015, 08:54:34 PM
How does undersized modules handle heat?

Torashuu
February 17 2015, 08:55:24 PM
>exploration
>D class reactors

Well then, let me put in a format you can comprehend:

Ship mass & FSD determine range. A rated FSdrive gives most range. D rated modules are lowest weight. Smaller modules also weight less, obviously.

So for example the following asp fit will net you most range (do not use it, it would be silly).

[Asp]

---
7.22 MW deployed (100%)
7.20 MW available
333.0 T full
36.99 LY laden

...So for example the following asp fit will net you most range (do not use it, it would be silly)...

...(do not use it, it would be silly)...

...do not use it, it would be silly...

RazoR
February 17 2015, 09:02:34 PM
But yours doesn't have 4D thrusters.

morpheps
February 17 2015, 09:11:25 PM
:popcorn:

Kraken
February 17 2015, 09:50:00 PM
>exploration
>D class reactors

Well then, let me put in a format you can comprehend:

[Asp]

---
7.22 MW deployed (100%)
7.20 MW available
333.0 T full
36.99 LY laden

...So for example the following asp fit will net you most range (do not use it, it would be silly)...

...(do not use it, it would be silly)...

...do not use it, it would be silly...

i used that fit when i went exploring, no use for shields. had a large fuel scoop though and largest fuel bay. 2A reactor has B heat management, 6A and 2A are both B, so its no issue for heat.

tulip
February 18 2015, 06:02:59 AM
You're all fucking scrubs;

If you're going to sperge about that fit you should sperge about the fact he has a D class fuel scoops fitted to save weight, despite the fact that all fuel scoops weigh nothing.

The only reason to not have a higher class scoop is (lack of) money.

Lana Torrin
February 18 2015, 06:58:44 AM
You're all fucking scrubs;

If you're going to sperge about that fit you should sperge about the fact he has a D class fuel scoops fitted to save weight, despite the fact that all fuel scoops weigh nothing.

The only reason to not have a higher class scoop is (lack of) money.

I have an under sized fit scoop because I didn't realise this when I bought the ship, and im not going back 5,000Ly to get a new one..

Liare
February 18 2015, 07:40:53 AM
undersized scoops is less of a problem than it seems, just go for a scoop that matches your fuel tank size, it will fill in about 25 seconds with that, and the price of fuel scoops is full on :psyduck: with many of them being more expensive than the ship you fit them to.

most module prices are full on fucking retarded acturally.

Sandzibar
February 18 2015, 07:41:42 AM
Wow this thread turns to shit really fast.

Keep on being FHC, FHC.

:monocledowns:

RazoR
February 18 2015, 08:00:13 AM

Keep on being FHC, FHC.

fuck off retard

am i doin this rite?

morpheps
February 18 2015, 08:01:38 AM
1) let's try to bring this thread back to exploration and in general sperge less?
2) 3A fuel scoop costs 900k, it's not a big cost when fitting an Asp (and with a 32 fuel tank, it *really* helps.

Hoggbert
February 18 2015, 08:03:52 AM
3) you have a size 6 internal with nothing better to do than scoop fuel

A size 3A fuel scoop will at max scoopage take 3 min to fill a full tank. Module cost 900k

A size 6D fuel scoop will at max use 1 min to fill a tank, module cost 440k.

But i want a decent shield on my ship you say:

a 6D shield weighs 16 tons and give you 120 MJ shieldstrength.
a 5D shield weights 8 tons and give you 110 MJ shieldstrength.

Not a huge difference in shieldstrength for twice the weight and therefore shorter jumpdistances.

I might be missing something, but i cant see anything that will be more useful on an explorer than a fuelscoop in your largest internal slot

RazoR
February 18 2015, 08:24:34 AM
1) let's try to bring this thread back to exploration and in general sperge less?
2) 3A fuel scoop costs 900k, it's not a big cost when fitting an Asp (and with a 32 fuel tank, it *really* helps.
wow

just

wow

We might want to see your killboard to check for hilarious fits.

Sandzibar
February 18 2015, 08:59:59 AM

Keep on being FHC, FHC.

fuck off retard

am i doin this rite?

A* for effort.

morpheps
February 18 2015, 09:11:57 AM
wow

just

wow

We might want to see your killboard to check for hilarious fits.

Erh, yeah - so much for quick fit checks in E:D Shipyard using the wrong internal slot. I stand corrected *blush*

Really though, what Hoggbert said.

Hoggbert
February 18 2015, 09:28:05 AM
Also to answer Tyrehl: Clipper, while beautiful and awesome, is not a good explorer. It has a relatively small tank at merely 16 tons compared to the asps 32 ton tank.
It also have shortish jumprange and repairing it is costly. Get too close to a star or take a few percentages of damage from an interdiction can easily set you back 100-200k in repairs (as they all add up on a long trek), which can be multiple systems worth of credits.

As of now the Asp is THE exploration ship, however a cobra/adder/hauler is good enough to poke around a little and get a feel for exploration if it is for you or not.
It is not for me, too tedious imo

Liare
February 18 2015, 10:58:03 AM
Also to answer Tyrehl: Clipper, while beautiful and awesome, is not a good explorer. It has a relatively small tank at merely 16 tons compared to the asps 32 ton tank.
It also have shortish jumprange and repairing it is costly. Get too close to a star or take a few percentages of damage from an interdiction can easily set you back 100-200k in repairs (as they all add up on a long trek), which can be multiple systems worth of credits.

As of now the Asp is THE exploration ship, however a cobra/adder/hauler is good enough to poke around a little and get a feel for exploration if it is for you or not.
It is not for me, too tedious imoacturally, the wear and tear cost of the Asp means it's pretty horrid at exploring unless you're careful with the throttle. (overspeed and emergency dropouts, along with very long in-system travels affects wear and tear)
Frontier hates you (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=114655)

RazoR
February 18 2015, 11:19:39 AM

It is not for me, too tedious imoacturally, the wear and tear cost of the Asp means it's pretty horrid at exploring unless you're careful with the throttle. (overspeed and emergency dropouts, along with very long in-system travels affects wear and tear)
Frontier hates you (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=114655)acturally nobody gives a fuck about hull integrity on an exploration ship

Hoggbert
February 18 2015, 11:20:55 AM
Its still the best in terms of jumprange and how far you can go on one tank before you need to find a scoopable star. Yes its more expensive to repair than a hauler, but its still cheap to repair compared to a clipper or god forbid a python.
Calling an asp horrid at exploration is probably the most ignorant statement i've seen on this subforum.

QuackBot
February 18 2015, 12:00:14 PM
3) you have a size 6 internal with nothing better to do than scoop fuel

A size 3A fuel scoop will at max scoopage take 3 min to fill a full tank. Module cost 900k

A size 6D fuel scoop will at max use 1 min to fill a tank, module cost 440k.

But i want a decent shield on my ship you say:

a 6D shield weighs 16 tons and give you 120 MJ shieldstrength.
a 5D shield weights 8 tons and give you 110 MJ shieldstrength.

Not a huge difference in shieldstrength for twice the weight and therefore shorter jumpdistances.

I might be missing something, but i cant see anything that will be more useful on an explorer than a fuelscoop in your largest internal slot
But even that shouldnt take you 30 attempts.

Kraken
February 18 2015, 12:10:41 PM

Frontier hates you (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=114655)

I used the asp for exploring and then sold it. BOO HOO wear and tear. My exploration monies paid for the wear and tear and then i went back to trading (i kept my type 7 and made enough for a seperate ASP fitted to go into the stars).
The fuel scoop needs to be GIANT. fit a type 6. stop doing it wrong. fit the most expensive type 6 you can afford that wont bork the power limits of the 2A reactor.
2A reactor is awesome. For type 6, 7 and Exploration Asap.
You might be over power limits because you fitted a shield like a weakling, if so disable the cargohatch to free some power up and whatever other crap you might have fitted.

if you are that concerned about depreciation use a hauler to explore with but you would be wrong to say the ASP isnt the best at the job. That fuel bay, class 6 fuel scoop, the range.

morpheps
February 18 2015, 12:47:25 PM
I'm not sure I understand the whining about Asp running costs. I did about 1500 LY worth of travelling, and scanned down about 80 systems, including a Black Hole. I got back with about 3 % damage to hull and paid 8k in repairs. Boo-hoo? Be more careful when doing stuff I guess? You're mostly going to be in space without much NPCs and the chances of being interdicted by players are rather small unless (it's a fairly large universe after all), so basically it's fucking up on entry or getting too close to stuff you shouldn't be too close to.

Kirkland
February 18 2015, 05:13:35 PM
I'm sure any number of people would say that I fit my ASP wrong, for exploration, but after my first trip out - I now fit it for combat cutting my jump range by about 35%. When I first went out, and came back, I got Interdicted while fueling on a sun and very nearly died because of over heating like 300%.

Kraken
February 18 2015, 09:54:03 PM
I'm sure any number of people would say that I fit my ASP wrong, for exploration, but after my first trip out - I now fit it for combat cutting my jump range by about 35%. When I first went out, and came back, I got Interdicted while fueling on a sun and very nearly died because of over heating like 300%.

if you get interdicted just cut engines, get sucked into the interdiction without damage then just boost and hit warp as the cool down timer is fairly short this way on your FSD. maybe (if you have no shields) you take a few % but thats all. its nothing to worry about. I still dont know why you need guns. Its almost impossible to die to an interdiction in an ASP.
I also watch the radar for lone contacts heading my way while in supercruise, if in doubt turn to face them, they have to overshoot and turn round again. by then you know what the jig is and moving away is easily done.

morpheps
February 18 2015, 09:55:12 PM
Just move further out - interdictions isn't much of an issue past the 2-300 LY from inhabitated space limit.

Saul
February 18 2015, 10:14:26 PM
Just move further out - interdictions isn't much of an issue past the 500 LY from inhabitated space limit.

ftfy

Lana Torrin
February 19 2015, 12:17:04 AM
So.. Once again I jumped in to a system and nearly face plant in to a 2nd sun. This time it drops me out of supercruise and the heat starts building up fast. End up taking 7% heat damage before I can get back in to cruise and get away from the suns....

So once again I'm thousands of light years out with almost 10% damage to everything.

Tapaderpin old skool

RazoR
February 19 2015, 01:57:44 AM
So.. Once again I jumped in to a system and nearly face plant in to a 2nd sun. This time it drops me out of supercruise and the heat starts building up fast. End up taking 7% heat damage before I can get back in to cruise and get away from the suns....

So once again I'm thousands of light years out with almost 10% damage to everything.

Tapaderpin old skool

Living on the edge there alright.

Kirkland
February 19 2015, 02:09:33 AM
And here I thought I've been heading to a Blackhole for the last 1000LY.
Apparently I landed on an MSO star.

I wasn't the first here, unfortunately, but I suspect the star has value. System is NGC 6124 Sector QD-T D3-54.
System happens to have the first ammonia planet I have run into as well.

morpheps
February 19 2015, 08:50:41 PM
On a new journey - now approaching Veil Nebula West, but de-touring to get some B and A-type stars. Finally found my first Earth-like planet, and quite a few Gas giants with life-forms. Also started paying a bit more attention to the information in the system view - for example, I am currently scanning what I believe to be my yougest system yet (3 stars and 1 brown dwarf) is just shy of 13 million years.

Procellus
February 19 2015, 10:17:18 PM
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1pBxDKthIYugbtoDBi-rb5vMET6zTwIri4rrFnj6j2hc/edit?pli=1#slide=id.g6c9b8a7c3_5_0

I keep finding gas giant very close to the record but none have broke it yet. Take a look you might have found something to put on there

Kirkland
February 20 2015, 03:39:06 AM
:( I got distracted when warping and landed on a star.... Heading back to civilized space.

.. And made it back to my home. That System I mentioned earlier - trash. Was worth 50k or so. But overall the trip was worth 4M or something Few systems over 100k, but none broke the 220k that I was hoping to break.

morpheps
February 22 2015, 09:22:06 PM
Started using the book (https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1pBxDKthIYugbtoDBi-rb5vMET6zTwIri4rrFnj6j2hc/edit?pli=1#slide=id.g6c9b8a7c3_3_39) Procellus linked, and I must say, exploration has changed quite a bit for me. Now I use the map to select stars I want to check based on their type, and check them vs. the book to see if they are interesting or record breaking (been close with a few small water worlds, but otherwise nothing). Tend to find more interesting systems than before as well, have found several systems with multiple water worlds with life and one system had two terraforming candidates (with 50% bonus, should bring in a bit).

Kraken
February 22 2015, 10:23:00 PM
what a boring book. a record for anything and ive no idea how id check the systems ive already been to now prepatch.

Kirkland
February 23 2015, 06:00:02 PM
I looked through the book - it actually omitted the one variable that I pay attention to, so I set the book down. That variable? Max value of a system when it's data was sold. I've had a bunch over 100k, but my highest single system was 220k. I'm sure I can beat that if I do any serious exploring - but I consider that number to be more interesting than the max number of moons a Gas giant happens to have.

Mike deVoid
February 24 2015, 11:28:55 AM
Doesn't data value decrease over time, due to repeated submissions?

Lana Torrin
February 24 2015, 11:30:15 AM
Doesn't data value decrease over time, due to repeated submissions?

It does so it would be the first submission.

Kirkland
February 24 2015, 10:01:05 PM
True, but I'm saying that value of system is of interest because.... the most valuable systems are the ones that are generally interesting to visit. Yes, the first person to visit the system is likely the person to have the highest return value (if they actually scan everything/most things).

morpheps
February 24 2015, 10:05:55 PM
I looked through the book - it actually omitted the one variable that I pay attention to, so I set the book down. That variable? Max value of a system when it's data was sold. I've had a bunch over 100k, but my highest single system was 220k. I'm sure I can beat that if I do any serious exploring - but I consider that number to be more interesting than the max number of moons a Gas giant happens to have.

I disagree; for me it's a lot more interesting to see stuff like that - how many moons, what's the hottest Class I Gas Giant etc. That ticks my motor when I explore, not the amount of credits I get when I get back. That's only useful for ranking up; if I was in it for the credits, I'd trade instead. I just got back from about 2-3000 LY worth of travelling, and what I handed in was worth less than an hours worth of serious trading. The Book is written from much the same perspective.

Procellus
February 24 2015, 10:11:00 PM
Yeah you don't do exploration for the credits.

Kraken
February 24 2015, 10:45:18 PM

i do it to find earthlike worlds and unusual stars and stellerbodies.

Dont give a shit bout no moons.
There are far too many catagories for records for me to check every single system for that nonsense.

RazoR
February 24 2015, 10:52:33 PM
I do want to find a cool system but what the fuck does it matter if you can't settle in it.

Lana Torrin
February 24 2015, 10:54:08 PM

i do it to find earthlike worlds and unusual stars and stellerbodies.

Dont give a shit bout no moons.
There are far too many catagories for records for me to check every single system for that nonsense.

So do I. The most ingesting one I have found so far was still the one I posted back at the start. It had like 3 or 4 groups of suns and black holes.

Tapaderpin old skool

Kirkland
February 25 2015, 01:08:18 AM

It isn't about doing it for the credits.. It's just that Credits are an unbiased means of measuring the ... "value"... of systems. It's a minigame of sorts, finding rare/interesting systems.. with the score being the credit value.

On the issue of colonizing the cool systems - I'm certainly hoping that the developers build dynamic and automated colonization of space, and that one day we really can "live" in the cool systems we find far away from Sol.

morpheps
February 25 2015, 05:04:25 AM

It isn't about doing it for the credits.. It's just that Credits are an unbiased means of measuring the ... "value"... of systems. It's a minigame of sorts, finding rare/interesting systems.. with the score being the credit value.

On the issue of colonizing the cool systems - I'm certainly hoping that the developers build dynamic and automated colonization of space, and that one day we really can "live" in the cool systems we find far away from Sol.

Inspired by Universal Cartographics recent push to expand humanities borders, the Sirius Corporation has today announced its plan to launch a number of new colonial outposts to the very edges of occupied space.

Ana Quin, Sirius' Junior Vice President of Interstellar Logistics, had this to say about the announcement:

"We're very excited to move forward with this project. It's been a long time coming, but finally the board have agreed it's time to get the ball rolling. We've got the tech and the volunteers, all we need now is to know where to send them."

Sirius is currently offering sizeable monetary rewards for explorers who bring usable exploration data containing potential candidate sites to their offices aboard Nourse Orbital in Lambda Andromedae.

Not sure what this is, but it's looking promising. I gather you're supposed to deliver data about terraformable worlds or some such.

QuackBot
February 25 2015, 08:00:11 AM

I'm about to play the evil within.

Kirkland
February 25 2015, 02:29:13 PM
Not sure what this is, but it's looking promising. I gather you're supposed to deliver data about terraformable worlds or some such.

Looks like it's time to head out for another exploration run, though I don't like that only a single station in a single system will pay bonus for returning the data. They should be having multiple systems/stations competing for the data. I wonder what they mean by "very edges of occupied space". If that space is occupied - doesn't that mean that it really doesn't need to be explored? Or do they mean edges of explored space which means they might be looking at putting outposts 100,000LY's away?

Lana Torrin
February 26 2015, 07:31:05 AM

Looks like it's time to head out for another exploration run, though I don't like that only a single station in a single system will pay bonus for returning the data. They should be having multiple systems/stations competing for the data. I wonder what they mean by "very edges of occupied space". If that space is occupied - doesn't that mean that it really doesn't need to be explored? Or do they mean edges of explored space which means they might be looking at putting outposts 100,000LY's away?

I'm guessing the mean to colonize a new system on the edges of whats already been colonized. Otherwise I found a fucking awesome system about 6,000Ly out as it has 2 earthlike worlds and about 4 terraformable ones (and 2 suns).

Approaching Walrus
February 26 2015, 08:35:25 AM
Exploring is the one thing I was really looking forward to in this game but the ATROCIOUS UI for selling discoveries has kept me away until it's fixed.

Really, really want to give it a go though. I'd love to visit the Crab pulsar.

morpheps
February 26 2015, 08:41:22 AM
Exploring is the one thing I was really looking forward to in this game but the ATROCIOUS UI for selling discoveries has kept me away until it's fixed.

Really, really want to give it a go though. I'd love to visit the Crab pulsar.

Have you tried it since the last patch? You now sell systems by the page, which is a lot better. What I'd wish for however, is more statistics that can be viewed after you've sold it. For example, how many systems have I sold, gotten first discovery for, etc.

Procellus
February 26 2015, 09:55:03 AM
There's a pop up that tells you what systems you discovered after you turned in the page.

morpheps
February 26 2015, 10:33:00 AM
I know, but after there's nothing afaik. I'd love to see a map where you could filter by "star systems discovered by me", "star systems I have visited" etc. Also; moar statistics please. I'd love to see how many of each object I have scanned etc.

Lana Torrin
March 2 2015, 11:33:17 PM
Spent literally all of yesterday trying to return from the eagle nebula. I'm about 1500ly away now so that's what, about 3 hours?

Tapaderpin old skool

morpheps
March 3 2015, 06:46:47 AM
Depends on the amount of exploration you do on your way back. If you just ping and explore valuable stuff, reckon 500 LY in half an hour doing 30+ LY jumps.

Sandzibar
March 6 2015, 04:57:00 PM
http://frontier.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=2bc2ee2d19&e=6adb2c9418https://i.imgur.com/Lw01Dg5.jpg

could be useful to someone. a little visual guide.

Procellus
March 8 2015, 01:43:37 PM
Tried to hit all of the stars of the Orion constellation, but Epsilon Orionis remains out of reach. I was looking at trying to cross over to the Perseus arm but was having a hard time finding a crossing point. Now I'm heading back to human space so I can link up with bros for wings

Procellus
March 9 2015, 01:53:34 PM
If you're having problems discovering systems you're doing it wrong. I'm only about 700 ly out and then k still discovering systems. You just have to get off the beaten path

morpheps
March 9 2015, 09:56:36 PM
If you're having problems discovering systems you're doing it wrong. I'm only about 700 ly out and then k still discovering systems. You just have to get off the beaten path

Seconded - my experience so far has been that around nebulas everything is taken, but if you go 50-75 LY from the nebula-system, most stuff hasn't been claimed (numbers may vary). Also, avoid taken the most direct path from A to B, and voila. My first trip I had almost no discoveries because I did the old A => B where B was a Nebula, my second trip was about 2/3 undiscovered because I went off the direct path and went in a circle around the nebulas.

morpheps
March 10 2015, 01:46:28 PM
If it wasn't for stuff like Cities Skylines launching today, this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa-p381ITbo) would really make my jump button itch a lot. Welp. Must. Not. Go. Exploring...

morpheps
March 16 2015, 09:50:58 AM
How much did the exploration payout change?

Procellus
March 16 2015, 11:39:43 AM
As far as I can tell it doubled

QuackBot
March 16 2015, 12:00:13 PM
How the fuck did i make an appointment with my mechanic a week ago, but i've been so detached from life in general.

morpheps
March 16 2015, 12:38:15 PM
How the fuck did i make an appointment with my mechanic a week ago, but i've been so detached from life in general.

That's life when you go exploring Quakers..

morpheps
March 23 2015, 12:23:34 PM
Is high speed exits from Supercruise the only thing in open space that cracks your canopy? I'm seeing quite the spiderweb after a misclick (*ahem*) and after hunting Neutron stars, my hull is down to 85% (dreading the wear and tear bill). Considering heading back to sell my data now, but I'm 2500 LY from Sol, and not anywhere near where I wanted to go.

Torashuu
March 23 2015, 12:36:42 PM
High speed exits are the only thing I can think off yes, make sure you throttle to zero as soon as you enter Hyperspace.

morpheps
March 23 2015, 01:01:43 PM
Doesn't help when the exit point is too close to a Neutron star :/

Torashuu
March 23 2015, 01:15:13 PM
Check your map with star type regularly while flying through unvisited space? Its about the only danger you face after all.
I don't have any easy solution for, sadly.

Procellus
March 23 2015, 02:31:58 PM

It does, usually. You'll exit hyperspace at 30.0 km/sec and that will almost always keep you from being pulled from SC by the gravitational pull of non-sequence stars. Qualifiers are to allow for outliers but I haven't run into any

Lana Torrin
March 23 2015, 11:05:55 PM

It does, usually. You'll exit hyperspace at 30.0 km/sec and that will almost always keep you from being pulled from SC by the gravitational pull of non-sequence stars. Qualifiers are to allow for outliers but I haven't run into any

Only time I have had an issue doing this was when I hit a very close binary and I was already in the 2nd star when I entered in to the system. Only had that twice in 1700+ systems though.

Tapaderpin old skool

morpheps
March 24 2015, 06:53:16 AM
I'm always (well, 9 out of 10 times anyway) throttling all the way back when I'm in the tunnel, but twice now I've landed 0.10-15 LS from a Neutron star, and been pulled out of super cruise. That hasn't damaged me all that much though, but it's cracked my canopy a bit. Most of my damage came after a high speed supercruise where I mashed the wrong button twice to jump and had a slight mishap. That, and sloppy navigation when moving into selfie position above these two babies:

http://s15.postimg.org/z3qvnz0ga/binary_stars.jpg

QuackBot
March 24 2015, 08:00:11 AM
I will always be pretty retarded with women.

morpheps
March 25 2015, 10:00:18 PM
Some more space porn:

http://i.imgur.com/YPOMB9b.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WiEHROh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/c0MVKxl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CpxMNAO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NoZ6NqM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BqZ7xxE.jpg

I'm going to go back to civilized space, rep up and cash in some data, and then it's back out. Taking shots of the Asp in various locations is proving a great thing to break up some exploration, and *damn* there's a lot of beautiful scenery.

Meths
March 25 2015, 10:17:00 PM
Some more space porn:

http://s22.postimg.org/qzihga4a8/oooh_the_light.jpg
http://s22.postimg.org/qt06zg5rk/Screenshot_0043.jpg
http://s22.postimg.org/vdmdedpgw/Screenshot_0059.jpg
http://s22.postimg.org/6qv3uk4z4/sunbathing.jpg
http://s22.postimg.org/o06zff5f4/supercruise.jpg

I'm going to go back to civilized space, rep up and cash in some data, and then it's back out. Taking shots of the Asp in various locations is proving a great thing to break up some exploration, and *damn* there's a lot of beautiful scenery.

I don't see nothing.

I'm thinking about going exploring.

Any tips apart from don't crash into neutron stars?

morpheps
March 25 2015, 10:25:20 PM
Nothing in the spoiler tag?

Tip is get Asp (d-fit with A-type FSD, scanning gear (adv. scanner and DSS) point in direction and go. Try to stay away from the obvious paths to popular places like nebulas (but do visit some, they're very scenic) and you should find undiscovered stuff. I've started filtering stars and looking for interesting ones.

Oh, and do it for the journey and looks, not the cash.

Straight Hustlin
March 25 2015, 10:28:23 PM
yeah I don't think that site allows hot linking, cuz I can see the images if I copy the link address, but nothing shows up in the spoilers.

morpheps
March 25 2015, 10:29:23 PM
Strange. Showing up here. Will fix in the morning.

Meths
March 25 2015, 10:32:47 PM
Nothing in the spoiler tag?

Tip is get Asp (d-fit with A-type FSD, scanning gear (adv. scanner and DSS) point in direction and go. Try to stay away from the obvious paths to popular places like nebulas (but do visit some, they're very scenic) and you should find undiscovered stuff. I've started filtering stars and looking for interesting ones.

Oh, and do it for the journey and looks, not the cash.

Yeah nothing in the spoiler tags.

Thanks for the tips dude.

morpheps
March 26 2015, 07:14:58 AM
Updated the shots to imgur, should be ok now.

Edit: now that they've added an external camera, they really should get an avatar in there, because that empty cockpit looks somewhat immersion breaking..

Procellus
March 26 2015, 06:00:45 PM
Updated the shots to imgur, should be ok now.

Edit: now that they've added an external camera, they really should get an avatar in there, because that empty cockpit looks somewhat immersion breaking..

You're in back, in the camera droid control room. Duh

helgur
March 28 2015, 10:37:43 AM
So... black holes. Are a bit anticlimatic once you stumble over them:

http://i.imgur.com/QJC0aHc.png

Got to within 100 km of one. Maneuvered my ship so I would face the nearby sun with the black hole in the foreground. Not even the gravitational lensing effect from the light emitting from the star is visible from it :/

Not going to manouver my ship any closer though. Even if it is tempting to drive right next/in to it

Mike deVoid
March 28 2015, 11:04:31 AM
Wouldn't you see more lensing from light that is further away? I. E. The dust cloud of the milky way?

helgur
March 28 2015, 11:20:23 AM
Wouldn't you see more lensing from light that is further away? I. E. The dust cloud of the milky way?

Makes sense since the light that is this close to the hole doesn't escape its pull so you don't see it, but then you would have to stand a lot further away from it aswell. I just figured since I didn't get sucked into it, the light around it wouldn't either so the lensing effect would be visible.

Did drive into it though, but I just got a collision error warning when I was ~25 km away from it and it was impossible to approach it further at that point

Procellus
March 28 2015, 12:05:07 PM
It's probably a very tiny one. You should screenshot it and see if it's a record

Kraken
March 28 2015, 01:20:13 PM

Makes sense since the light that is this close to the hole doesn't escape its pull so you don't see it, but then you would have to stand a lot further away from it aswell. I just figured since I didn't get sucked into it, the light around it wouldn't either so the lensing effect would be visible.

Did drive into it though, but I just got a collision error warning when I was ~25 km away from it and it was impossible to approach it further at that point

pretty much with all stellar bodies, you cant crash into them, just drop out of warp at 25km. Blackholes dont seem to affect your ship enough even when you are 25km away from them... lolwut?

Torashuu
March 28 2015, 03:49:17 PM
You have an FTL drive, of course they won't affect you.

Procellus
March 28 2015, 03:51:15 PM

Science, motherfucker

morpheps
March 28 2015, 08:53:32 PM
Unless they have changed stuff, they are usually more potent, so must have been a really small one

Kraken
March 28 2015, 10:15:13 PM

Science, motherfucker

but when you approach the BH you might not be going at 'C' so in theory if you didnt turn your engines on you would get sucked into it, or the effects would be incredible on the ship at sub 'C'. also as you approach mass your Frame shift drive becomes less effective, so if you did get that close you might not ever be able to reach 'C' and potenially not FTL away from it either?

Procellus
March 28 2015, 11:20:55 PM
In SC you're in an alternate dimension I believe. That's why it doesn't affect you. Maybe.

Probably.

I imagine.

Bamse
March 29 2015, 12:11:13 PM
Super Cruise in Elite seem to be of the same principles as Alcubierre drives, which means they compresses space in front of the craft and expands it again behind it. Looked it up seeing as the term, "Frame Shift Drive" would indicate a drive that is able to shift the frame of reference in accordance to the craft, or some shit :P

Keep in mind though, regarding black holes, that the distance you get is most likely to the event horizon, seeing as you can't detect the actual singularity that hides within the Schwarzchild radius. It would be logical to put an automatic safe guard into every ship so that it would drop out of SC before it was too late.

I just got home from a 3-4kLY trip towards Cat's Paw Nebula and now have my name etched into 100-150 systems along the way :P Saw a couple of neutron stars, some black holes and even found ammonia worlds. The stellar forge that generates the systems, does seem to break physics(Unless a Jovian can survive 0.01AU from it's parent star without being shredded by stellar winds or have its mass being sucked by the star). I'd loooove to see actual pulsars and stuff like that implemented, but that's probably way down the road, if ever.

Torashuu
March 29 2015, 02:44:57 PM
Problem with black holes and event horizons is that for small mass blackholes you would be ripped to shreds by tidal forces long before passing the event horizon. And for SMBH its the other way around. Youd long have passed the event horizon before experiencing any major gravitational tidal forces.. Then again current theory is that you'd not notice passing the event horizon if you fell into one, so it would be hard to notice when to stop and turn around.

However, since we have ftl drives, it means the reason event horizons exist (limit of c) is no longer applicable. Not to mentio apparently bending spacetime without running into energy constraints, making the discussion kind of moot.

Kraken
March 29 2015, 08:31:07 PM
Problem with black holes and event horizons is that for small mass blackholes you would be ripped to shreds by tidal forces long before passing the event horizon. And for SMBH its the other way around. Youd long have passed the event horizon before experiencing any major gravitational tidal forces.. Then again current theory is that you'd not notice passing the event horizon if you fell into one, so it would be hard to notice when to stop and turn around.

However, since we have ftl drives, it means the reason event horizons exist (limit of c) is no longer applicable. Not to mentio apparently bending spacetime without running into energy constraints, making the discussion kind of moot.

i imagine blackholes which remember already have a mass of at least 3 Solar Units, im fairly certain the gravitational effects, tidal forces etc would mean the engine would have to be going at at least the escape velocity before potentially it overwhelms the capabilities of even a frameshift drive.

What im saying is, 25km seems somewhat too close, as currently 25km is the radius of the center of what appears to be a very small object, id expect the singularity to be a lot more massive. Not least the effect of time dialation that you would likely experiance, by the time you get 25km from the BH by the time you return back to the station you were at possibly centuries or millenia may have passed.

I guess- I want the game to not allow me to get 25km to a blackhole. Even 25km from a neutron star would see the ship be ripped to atoms and become unified with the atoms of the star.

edited the 25km radius bit for clarity of what i mean, its not 25km from the outer perimeter of a million km Singularity... but the point of a tiny object. Their scale is off.

Torashuu
March 30 2015, 05:56:53 AM
I'm saying its silly to worry about it because you're already breaking physics by travelling there in a few minutes. So complaining about the 'incorrect' interaction with a object we cannot directly observe in the first place is beyond silly.

helgur
March 30 2015, 10:28:02 AM
My FSD wasn't engaged when approaching the wormhole though, I approached it with normal thrusters :P

Torashuu
March 30 2015, 10:39:31 AM
I clearly see you're all unhappy with the level of :realism: so FD should just wipe your save if you are dumb enough to travel towards one.

morpheps
March 30 2015, 12:03:57 PM
Did they change something about it though? I have only been "near" one, and that was the one in Maia. I think I was 0.16 Ls from it, and I didn't really dare go any closer, because my heat levels were rising quite fast. I imagine being dropped out of SC near one will fuck you over since re-entering SC is a bitch near regular stars is a bitch, and near Neutron stars hurt like hell. Near a Black Hole must be worse?

Edit: On a sidenote and more related to Exploration - my dash (2000 LY each way) eastwards looking for Neutron stars netted me around 4,5 mill, and a lot of that was pinging systems. Found a decent amount of Neutron stars, quite a few Jovians with various life-forms but sadly no Earthlike or Terraforable (small wonder I suppose since I was mainly looking for other types of stars than those who normally have Earthlikes). After hitting the bar and repairing some heat damage (at 300k it was cheaper than I feared, but almost half of the rebuy cost, which is a bit ridonkulus) I started to have the itch again, so heading back out now.

Going west this time, and I think I am mentally prepared for a 10k+ LY trip for the first time. Not really sure what I'm looking for this time, currently in the process of clearing the "known" (i.e. discovered) boundary that seems to be around 3-500 LY from inhabited space. I'd like to find more black holes though, as well as seeing some supergiants. Maybe I'll finally go visit KY Cygni.

helgur
March 30 2015, 02:17:28 PM
I clearly see you're all unhappy with the level of :realism: so FD should just wipe your save if you are dumb enough to travel towards one.

No m8, I expect it to suck me into a 5 dimensional paralell universe where I can float around and reach out from within a bookcase to pinch your nipples

Specifically.

Torashuu
March 30 2015, 02:37:31 PM

No m8, I expect it to suck me into a 5 dimensional paralell universe where I can float around and reach out from within a bookcase to pinch your nipples

Specifically.
Only if you're Matthew McConaughey, and you ain't that pretty.

helgur
March 30 2015, 06:52:27 PM
When I where 25 km from the hole it was impossible to approach it any further keeping a constant distance of 25 km from it. But space around me did move, so in essence I pushed the hole infront of my ship. I wonder how much I would get for a black hole at the black market?

Anyways, I don't see why Matthew McConaughey and HIS black hole should get any preferential treatment. They both suck. My hole didn't so mine is clearly better.

morpheps
March 30 2015, 07:12:46 PM
Speaking of black holes, Mr. McConaughey, while pretty, has nothing on a nebula as seen through a black hole (well, rather distorted by a):

http://i.imgur.com/lzwPt3H.jpg

I believe it to be the North American Nebula, but I might be wrong. In any case, I went to the 25km edge, got bumped out of SC. Hit 100 % heat when entering SC again, but no damage. Much disappoint. Black hole is in 11 Sagittae B 2 - a mere 455.54 LY from Sol, so quite accessible.

morpheps
March 31 2015, 09:25:03 PM
Some more spaceporn. I hear you saying that Exploration is boring, but I don't get it. I mean, just go there and look at dem pretty stars.

http://i.imgur.com/VSV0IvL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4T1rCNV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZMQRclu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LOuo7Cp.jpg

helgur
April 8 2015, 01:51:09 PM
So first time I came across this:

http://i.imgur.com/yelqH1G.png

Star with astroid rings

helgur
April 8 2015, 11:26:56 PM
Another unusual sausage:

http://i.imgur.com/h86sXAr.jpg

Water atmosphere type, 21889 Atmospheric surface pressure, 1497 degree Celsius surface temperature

Nicholai Pestot
April 8 2015, 11:39:28 PM
Another unusual sausage:

http://i.imgur.com/h86sXAr.jpg

Water atmosphere type, 21889 Atmospheric surface pressure, 1497 degree Celsius surface temperature

Nice. Gonna be getting some high-pressure hot ice there.

morpheps
April 9 2015, 02:22:34 PM
More images from deep space (well, not that deep, currently only 2500 LY from Sol)

http://i.imgur.com/dH2STpZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Nqn7H4Y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Qm17x4h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DR1cEue.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SLtvhET.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jb0KmfY.jpg

Approaching Walrus
April 23 2015, 09:55:28 PM
I'm in the Pleiades and literally everything is already explored. Wondering how far I will have to go before I can put my name on things.

Procellus
April 23 2015, 11:17:57 PM
Go off the beaten path. The nebulas have mostly been explored. Go a bit up or down the galactic plane and you'll be in unexplored territory

helgur
April 24 2015, 12:23:04 AM
Found lots of unexplored systems nearer the center. I've given up on exploration though. While fun for a while the rewards are poor, so its back to bounty hunting raking in mad bux

morpheps
April 24 2015, 12:14:05 PM
You don't need to go far from civilized space to find unexplored stuff. Usually, I start finding lots of stuff 500 LY from inhabited space, but if you make a straght line from Sol to the nearest Nebula/Black hole / Neutron star, you're not going to find much. The last two trips, I found unexplored stuff around 500-600 LY from Sol (going north-east), and now I started finding unexplored stuff once I cleared 1-200 Ly from the Veil Nebula (going West). Neutron stars have pretty much been found, same with obvious black holes, but lots of other stuff has not been touched.

Also; heading towards the dense neutron fields, that's where the profits are in exploration. Mostly though, you're not doing exploration for credits.

Saul
April 24 2015, 08:22:49 PM
Braben confirms there is shit to find out there:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140032&page=18&p=2145360&viewfull=1#post2145360

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140032&page=21&p=2145439&viewfull=1#post2145439

Kinda gives me the bug again. I had titanic doubts that there was actually anything interesting to find.

Approaching Walrus
April 25 2015, 01:50:41 AM
Whats up with the weak and strong signal sources in unexplored space? Are they the same as random encounters?

Saul
April 25 2015, 10:05:07 AM
Whats up with the weak and strong signal sources in unexplored space? Are they the same as random encounters?

Not sure. Braben said that whatever he is referring to has been in the game since the Wings update, which I suppose means that prior to the Wings update, it really was an empty galaxy.

Torashuu
April 25 2015, 10:10:46 AM
weak -> generally illigal cargo to scoop
strong-> Lots of enemies (or friendlies) aimed at wings (so anything from pirates wings with 1 cobra, 2 viper, 2 eagle 2 sidewinder up to 8 Vultures or 3-4 anacondas, or 2 anacondas escorted by 4 cobras, 4 vipers and 4 eagles.) Or cargo fleets (usually 1 wanted) with escorts.

Found a few AI cores in Strong events similar to the gold trap (gold canisters, when scooping -> 8 vultures or 4 anacondas) Sold for 100+k on black market.

QuackBot
April 25 2015, 12:00:12 PM
weak -> generally illigal cargo to scoop
strong-> Lots of enemies (or friendlies) aimed at wings (so anything from pirates wings with 1 cobra, 2 viper, 2 eagle 2 sidewinder up to 8 Vultures or 3-4 anacondas, or 2 anacondas escorted by 4 cobras, 4 vipers and 4 eagles.) Or cargo fleets (usually 1 wanted) with escorts.

Found a few AI cores in Strong events similar to the gold trap (gold canisters, when scooping -> 8 vultures or 4 anacondas) Sold for 100+k on black market.
When you could login, likely goon speculators either tested this themselves, or found it in dump, then dropped towers on valuable 0.4 moons.

morpheps
April 25 2015, 09:06:45 PM
Finally made it to KY Cygnis (about 5.000 LY from Sol). My first super giant.

First picture is taken from 3000 LS, the next from 6000 LS, and the third from 10.000. Put in perspetive, that last one pretty much equals the distance beween Sol and Uranus.

http://i.imgur.com/qAOHbVs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yw5LerQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7y4scJY.jpg

helgur
April 25 2015, 11:17:55 PM
The exploration bug is starting to itch me again ..... sold off my ASP tho

Mike deVoid
April 25 2015, 11:25:09 PM
Finally made it to KY Cygnis (about 5.000 LY from Sol). My first super giant.

First picture is taken from 3000 LS, the next from 6000 LS, and the third from 10.000. Put in perspetive, that last one pretty much equals the distance beween Sol and Uranus.

http://i.imgur.com/qAOHbVs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yw5LerQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7y4scJY.jpg

Wow

Approaching Walrus
May 2 2015, 10:43:57 PM
So I sold my Vulture and fitted out an Asp. I'm heading to the Heart/Soul Nebula region right now. Not feeling comfortable with the stripped down gas can version of the Asp, so I opted for a more conservative fit with about 33 LY of jump range; got a cargo scanner pulses and FSW scanner to see if any interesting NPCs appear in the USS sites. FWIW I haven't seen a single signal source past 100 LY from human space, although I looted 4 ancient artifacts on my way out.

[Asp]
U: 0I Heat Sink Launcher
U: 0I Heat Sink Launcher
U: 0E Cargo Scanner
U: 0E Frame Shift Wake Scanner
M: 2F/G Pulse Laser
M: 2F/G Pulse Laser

RB: 4A Power Plant
TM: 4D Thrusters
FS: 4C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 16)

6: 6C Fuel Scoop
5: 5D Shield Generator
3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
3: 3C Auto Field-Maintenance Unit
2: 1C Detailed Surface Scanner
2: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner

QuackBot
May 3 2015, 12:00:12 AM
The exploration bug is starting to itch me again ..... sold off my ASP tho
Thing is tho.

Approaching Walrus
May 3 2015, 01:04:08 AM
Screenshots of the Upsilon Cephi system, really illustrates the size difference between a red dwarf and a main sequence star with 0.8 solar masses. Red dwarf is around 23 LS away, main star is around 740.

http://i.imgur.com/TEzuaVz.png

morpheps
May 11 2015, 07:08:08 PM
Heading towards the Neutron field - currently about 8k from the start of it; 7k from Sol. Going slightly spacemad, so switched to just blapping the d-scan, then unless there's something really juicy, I jump to the next system. Can't really see how going to the core and beyond is even possible without going bonkers, but there you go.