PDA

View Full Version : Learnin' Squiggly

Mrenda
June 9 2011, 01:33:36 AM
Anyone have any resources for learning Chinese?

I've tried to get Rosetta Stone installed, but for some reason it refuses to install properly. Any alternatives out there?

Airow
June 9 2011, 01:34:18 AM
Google Translator :monocledowns:

Hels
June 9 2011, 01:37:15 AM
Google Translator :monocledowns:

That's how the pros do it.

?????????????

This is the pros and cons of how to do this.

Mrenda
June 9 2011, 01:38:13 AM
[quote=Airow]Google Translator :monocledowns:

?????????????

This is the pros and cons of how to do this.[/quote:35jssswv]

That doesn't deal with how to pronounce it. Plus I'll never get my head around actual squiggles. I was thinking about using pinying(?) system.

Airow
June 9 2011, 01:41:01 AM

?????????????

That doesn't deal with how to pronounce it. Plus I'll never get my head around actual squiggles. I was thinking about using pinying(?) system.[/quote:1hu5kown]
http://www.onebit.us/images/20110609033955.png

:obama: :obama: :obama:

Hels
June 9 2011, 01:41:38 AM

?????????????

That doesn't deal with how to pronounce it. Plus I'll never get my head around actual squiggles. I was thinking about using pinying(?) system.
http://www.onebit.us/images/20110609033955.png

:obama: :obama: :obama:[/quote:2e6aod8m]

EntroX
June 9 2011, 01:46:19 AM
pirate rosetta stone?

Mrenda
June 9 2011, 02:02:32 AM
pirate rosetta stone?

I've tried. But because windows firewall is broken it won't install.

I know. :psyduck:

jimkgh
June 9 2011, 02:16:48 AM
proper translation would be :
????????

Sponk
June 9 2011, 02:26:57 AM
I found the easiest way to learn chinese was to marry someone who can speak chinese, have a child together, then work out what they're saying to the kid.

I'm proud to say that I speak Cantonese like a 2-year old.

Hope that helps.

EntroX
June 9 2011, 02:27:16 AM
pirate rosetta stone?

lol'ing

TX.zhang
June 9 2011, 03:18:14 AM

?????????????

That doesn't deal with how to pronounce it. Plus I'll never get my head around actual squiggles. I was thinking about using pinying(?) system.[/quote:3ctet43s]

It's pinyin system.
In pinyin "a" is pronounce like [?:]

? in pinyin is a and pronounce [?:]

Sponk
June 9 2011, 03:54:29 AM
Here is a minimal tone set from Mandarin Chinese, which has five tones, here transcribed by diacritics over the vowels:

A high level tone: // (pinyin ?)
A tone starting with mid pitch and rising to a high pitch: /?/ (pinyin )
A low tone which dips briefly before, if there is no following syllable, rising to a high pitch: // (pinyin ?)
A sharply falling tone, starting high and falling to the bottom of the speaker's vocal range: // (pinyin )
A neutral tone, sometimes indicated by a dot () in Pinyin, has no specific contour; its pitch depends on the tones of the preceding and following syllables. Mandarin speakers refer to this tone as the "light tone" (simplified Chinese: ??; traditional Chinese: ??; pinyin: q?ng sh?ng), also called the "fifth tone", "zeroth tone", or "neutral tone". Note, however, that in Mandarin the occurrence of this tone on single syllable words is marginal, and furthermore it only occurs with grammatical syllables. In disyllabic words, there is a strong tendency in modern Mandarin for the second syllable to be pronounced with a light tone.

These tones combine with a syllable such as "ma" to produce different words. A minimal set based on "ma" are, in pinyin transcription,

m? "mom"
m "hemp"
m? "horse"
m "scold"
ma (an interrogative particle)

These may be combined into the rather contrived sentence,

????????/????????
Pinyin: m?ma m m? de m ma?
English: "Is mom scolding the horse's hemp?"

Cerbus
June 9 2011, 06:34:01 AM
If you want to pronouce it properly use the internet phonetic spelling rather than reading Chinese English as their sounds for the english alphabet are compeltely different. Meng for instance is sounded as "Mong" - and its one of the reasons why Chinese always take an English name because even when they spell their real names in English we can't pronounce them properly from reading them lol.

Sponk
June 9 2011, 06:45:38 AM
Am still irritated by mainland chinese who learn cantonese and can't say ngarp properly.

lubica
June 9 2011, 06:53:57 AM
Am still irritated by mainland chinese who learn cantonese and can't say ngarp properly.
:monocledowns:

Also, wtb translation of HERP DERP, closest i could force google to get squiggly on it was ??R P???

GeneralNukeEm
June 9 2011, 07:30:46 AM
Here's a Chinese-English dictionary - http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php#word

NoirAvlaa
June 9 2011, 08:07:47 AM
pirate rosetta stone?

Did you restart after installing and cracking? Rosetta does actually require a restart... If it work and suddenly you try to load it and it doesn't work, restart. Dunno why it does it, but system restarts have always fixed it for me :p

It's never worked straight after install for me either, always required a restart to get it working first time.

Mrenda
June 9 2011, 08:14:43 AM
pirate rosetta stone?

Did you restart after installing and cracking? Rosetta does actually require a restart... If it work and suddenly you try to load it and it doesn't work, restart. Dunno why it does it, but system restarts have always fixed it for me :p

It's never worked straight after install for me either, always required a restart to get it working first time.

No, it cancels out of the install completely. It never even finishes.

It's happened to other people, something about the windows firewall.

Lana Torrin
June 9 2011, 08:44:20 AM
pirate rosetta stone?

lol'ing

No longer an optional component... Also now when you turn it off, it keep running and just sets it rules to allow all (unless its broken, then it ignores you)

Lana Torrin
June 9 2011, 08:45:58 AM
pirate rosetta stone?

No, it cancels out of the install completely. It never even finishes.

It's happened to other people, something about the windows firewall.

start -> cmd
netsh int ip reset log
netsh winsock reset
shutdown -r -t 0