PDA

View Full Version : Hi...

smuggo
July 29 2014, 10:26:30 PM
Look. I watched season 1 of MLP when I was pretty drunk. I thought it was quite amusing and there were some adult themes tucked in there.

Can you please try and rationalise your fandom? Most fandoms are creepy but from what I've seen there's nothing worse than 'clop' people.

Evelgrivion
July 29 2014, 10:32:48 PM
What sort of response are you looking for, and what do you expect to see? I'm not sure how to answer, really, since yours are loaded to hell and back.

SAI Peregrinus
July 30 2014, 01:08:34 AM
There are several aspects to the fandom. Just like everything else, Sturgeon's Law (90% of everything is shit) applies. 90% of the music is shitty EDM, 90% of the art is awful, 90% of the fiction is a crime against decency, etc. The remaining 10% can be amusing enough, and tends to become more popular than the shit.

The 'clop' people are what happens when Rule 34 and Sturgeon's law meet and procreate. Thanks to people "tagging" things it's easy to avoid.

So I'm a fan because certain aspects of it amuse me. Mostly just FOE (Ponies post nuclear-war, I find the juxtaposition interesting) and some of the music (largely the orchestral pieces).

Ophichius
July 30 2014, 04:21:50 AM
What sort of response are you looking for, and what do you expect to see? I'm not sure how to answer, really, since yours are loaded to hell and back.

To be fair, it sounds like Lark was loaded to hell and back when he posted that.

Anyhow, in answer to Lark's presumed question of "Why does anyone bother being a fan?", it's because we like the show, we like the content created around the show, we find something slightly whimsical and absurd about the fact that the fandom exists at all, and/or we like the other fans.

Personally I'm in it for the music, the silly video mashups, and the ridiculous whimsy factor. Oh, and John de Lancie's voice.

-O

Takon Orlani
July 30 2014, 04:32:02 AM
I like it because I was depressed at the time. It made me feel better, but no longer holds my interest.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Stoffl
July 30 2014, 07:10:10 AM
FREE CULLNE....wait...

GreenYoshi
July 30 2014, 08:57:45 AM
Eh, I guess I'll bite, too. I enjoy watching Disney movies. They're fun, innocent, and though they're usually not the biggest masterwork in the world, they're enjoyable to just sit down and absorb. Ponies, as a cartoon, feels like mini disney movies to me, and I like the characters. For the rest, I'd have to agree with the "90% is shit" but every once in a while something like a comic or story (FO:E) is pretty good. That's why.

Can you please try and rationalise your fandom?

Not quite what you're asking, and maybe you don't care, but I don't really feel the need to rationalize it to anyone who clearly isn't interested. Fair enough. I don't watch much in the way of anime, but I don't ask friends who do why they feel the need to get so involved in things that I see as having no value except to children. And I certainly wouldn't look down on friends who enjoy anime because others who enjoy anime have full rooms with body pillows and life-sized anatomically-correct dolls of their favourite characters.

QuackBot
July 30 2014, 09:00:10 AM
Not quite what you're asking, and maybe you don't care, but I don't really feel the need to rationalize it to anyone who clearly isn't interested. Fair enough. I don't watch much in the way of anime, but I don't ask friends who do why they feel the need to get so involved in things that I see as having no value except to children. And I certainly wouldn't look down on friends who enjoy anime because others who enjoy anime have full rooms with body pillows and life-sized anatomically-correct dolls of their favourite characters.
No you're not.

GreenYoshi
July 30 2014, 09:00:58 AM
Oh, look. I've been Quack'd.

Nordstern
July 30 2014, 08:15:06 PM
Look. I watched season 1 of MLP when I was pretty drunk. I thought it was quite amusing and there were some adult themes tucked in there.

Can you please try and rationalise your fandom? Most fandoms are creepy but from what I've seen there's nothing worse than 'clop' people.
I dunno, those Kirk/Spock fanfictions are pretty bad and might destroy the franchise... Oh wait, they haven't because no one pays attention to them. Except trolls like you.

Asking us to "rationalize" MLP is a loaded request. You're insinuating that we're inherently bad, and must "defend" ourselves from your position, which you posit is superior. Since we're on this topic, I'm going to ask you and the rest of the circlejerk to rationalize your shitposting.

I know you're just trying to get a rise out of us, so I found a GIF that perfectly represents you. Here it is:
http://onebit.us/x/i/eAgkUdSWmE.gif

Mortalitis
July 30 2014, 09:35:37 PM
Why are people even replying to this thread?

Spaztick
August 3 2014, 04:44:22 PM
I have nothing to contribute I just want to sa yyou are all faggets

QuackBot
August 3 2014, 05:00:16 PM
To be fair, it sounds like Lark was loaded to hell and back when he posted that.

Anyhow, in answer to Lark's presumed question of "Why does anyone bother being a fan?", it's because we like the show, we like the content created around the show, we find something slightly whimsical and absurd about the fact that the fandom exists at all, and/or we like the other fans.

Personally I'm in it for the music, the silly video mashups, and the ridiculous whimsy factor. Oh, and John de Lancie's voice.

-O
And find the one which says undine.