PDA

View Full Version : Packing Desktop for Moving

Hels
June 5 2011, 03:45:32 AM
Headed to Japan, movers are coming on Thursday to get my stuffs. Mostly everything is packed up (that's fragile) or will be repacked by the pros. I don't think this includes my desktop. It's put away into the case box atm, wrapped up in plastic.

How should I secure it for the voyage?

Fuggin
June 5 2011, 07:07:54 AM
Unplug everything...PSU, RAM, CPU Cooler, cards in slots...that box gonna get raped during shipping.

Hels
June 5 2011, 07:33:42 AM
So essentially a full disassemble?

Stoffl
June 5 2011, 09:33:01 AM
Nah just remove all pci(e) cards and the cpu-cooler and you should be fine.

Navigator Six
June 5 2011, 09:34:09 AM
I shipped a PC from the US to the UK a few years ago, and basically just did what you did: put it in the box with styrofoam padding and unplugged everything (it arrived fine too, though this was a steel case so it was already pretty tough). The next best thing I think you could do is tape the shit out of the box; it will make it harder to get accidental holes in it and if it does get punctured during your trip they won't matter much.

kzig
June 5 2011, 12:31:12 PM
The PCIe cards would probably be ok, based on my experiences with shipping my PC around, but you should be prepared to remove the CPU cooler and reseat it afterwards, especially if it's a particularly large one. Even during a very careful move, it's easy for one or two pins to come loose.

On the other hand, it isn't too much extra effort to strip the PCIe cards once you're already mucking about in there and you have plenty of boxes, so I suppose you might as well. I might not bother, except for maybe the graphics card, as that's much heavier than the others.

balistic void
June 5 2011, 01:10:07 PM
I shipped my desktop from Ireland to the UK a few years ago, worked fine afterwards. However after the trip it had a really fucking annoying rattle that I could never get rid of :( Was more because of stupid Dell case than anything else I suppose, couldn't remove one side because it was rivetted on.

Hels
June 5 2011, 08:46:37 PM
Yeah I'm more worried about vibration/movement than I am something puncturing the box. Mostly since it's getting trucked to a water port, then getting on a container ship to meet me in Japan near the end of July. And since a punctured box can be claimed and the damage easily seen, some minor cracking or somesuch isn't exactly convincing.

firefoxx80
June 5 2011, 10:44:56 PM
Deffo unplug the CPU heatsink, and any PCIe cards if they are heavy (eg, graphics card).

You might want to take out HDD to avoid any shocks.

zangorus
June 5 2011, 11:25:24 PM
just stuff it with loads of pillows yo

Stoffl
June 6 2011, 09:04:32 AM
Deffo unplug the CPU heatsink, and any PCIe cards if they are heavy (eg, graphics card).

You might want to take out HDD to avoid any shocks.

hdd shock resistance when powered off is p. good, like ~300 G in 2ms.

Daneel Trevize
June 7 2011, 11:52:03 PM

You might want to take out HDD to avoid any shocks.This.

Mobo/BIOS battery should be good enough for the journey, right? How long you had it and how long's the travel time?

Bombcrater
June 8 2011, 12:43:01 AM
hdd shock resistance when powered off is p. good, like ~300 G in 2ms.
Drive manufacturers cheat a bit with those specs: they assume the drive is level and receives a shock perfectly along one axis - ie, something like sitting the drive on a desk and hitting one edge dead centre with a hammer. It is off-axis shock that normally happens to drives and it kills them because it places huge stress on the bearing, and even a small misalignment will cause the platters to spin unevenly.

Mobo/BIOS battery should be good enough for the journey, right? How long you had it and how long's the travel time?
CMOS batteries have lifespans measured in years, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hels
June 10 2011, 04:09:59 PM
It got packed yesterday. Here's hoping for good things.