PDA

View Full Version : [Devblog] Developer Spotlight: CCP Time Runner Bing Mikael Xi

QuackBot
June 20 2014, 02:10:07 AM
Hello everyone! This week’s developer spotlight introduces our Senior Live Producer for DUST 514 – Bing Mikael Xi. Based here in the CCP Shanghai office, Bing’s been with CCP for quite some time, progressing from one role to another, and now it’s time for CCP Time Runner to tell you his story.
http://failheap-challenge.com//web.ccpgamescdn.com/dust/news.control/66270/1/KO7A2250-sm.JPG
What does the job of Senior Live Producer actually entail?
The job is about controlling release quality, scheduling releases with our development director, planning and organizing live deployments (both internally with CCP and our publishing partner Sony), and managing a lean live team to monitor and respond to live issues. Ultimately the goal is to prevent us from having live issues through quality assurance.
What were you up to before you got the job with CCP?
Initially I started at CCP in Iceland, where I applied for Localization QA back in 2006 when CCP was launching EVE China. I evolved my duties quickly, at first by improving the EVE China localization pipelines in a very short amount of time. I then took more general QA duties for EVE China, and quickly became the liaison between the CCP dev team and our Chinese operating partner (Optic at the time). Before long, I identified key issues we had at the time such as build issues, testing processes, release scheduling desync issues and deployment pipelines. Thus, a couple months after I started at CCP Iceland, I started giving QA directions to our partner’s QA team in Shanghai, proposing release schedules, and took on build work as well as directed live deployments for EVE China. I guess in a sense that’s very similar to what I do today for DUST. :)
As a result of the improvements I brought to the project, by the end of 2007 I was relocated to Shanghai to build a team for EVE China’s quality assurance, localization, build, deployment assistance and daily operation support. For the whole of 2008 my focus was on growing that team to reach the quality level required to properly support EVE China. In early 2009, I started to lead QA for DUST 514, and built a team and expanded it gradually to fit our needs.
Although my official title at the time was QA manager, on top of the QA duties I also worked on release scheduling, directing deployments, working with Sony, and such. Therefore in the late 2013, I was formally promoted to Senior Live Producer for DUST 514. Now that we have started working on Project Legion, my current role on it is also QA/Live Director.
How did you get a job with CCP? Can you talk about the process?
I was finishing my studies at University of Iceland and recommended by my school mate (who happened to be a CCP employee) to the EVE QA manager. I attended the interview, got grilled by the manager and every single QA member. Luckily I was a pretty hardcore gamer and they all liked me for that. This goes to show that it pays off to be passionate about the games that you want to work on! I was very happy that I got that job, and later I heard that they interviewed a bunch of other people but decided to hire me. At that point I just started working very hard as Localization QA!
What’s your favorite part about working at CCP?
That I get to learn things beyond my job descriptions. CCP is a company where you are encouraged to develop yourself by taking on challenges. You are allowed to fail, and as long as you demonstrate your abilities to learn from your mistakes and evolve, your chances of personal growth and career development are unlimited.
http://failheap-challenge.com//web.ccpgamescdn.com/dust/news.control/66270/1/KO7A2307-sm.JPG
CCP Time Runner Playtesting DUST 514's changes live on Tranquility
What’s the biggest misconception players have about what you do that you’d like to clear up?
I have been doing mostly “behind the scenes” work, so the community doesn’t know me as well as some of my fellow coworkers. Often some people would not think about how much effort and coordination of every single team it takes to make sure that the quality of our service stays as high as possible. Hopefully you will know me more through Project Legion and DUST 514 improvements as well, and I will keep working with the Community Team to make sure that our players stay as satisfied as possible.
And now the personal stuff - if there was one thing you’d be doing outside of your current job, what would it be?
My dream will be to spend 90 days travelling around the world.
That sounds like quite a confident plan from a Live Producer. 90 days without a single live issue - sounds like challenge!
Of course! We can do it, we have the technology. And hamsters, of course.
When you’re not on the job, what do you enjoy doing?
Playing games, watching movies, watching my daughter play games and my daughter loves watching me play games as well. It is one big happy gaming family! :)
What are some of your favorite games, both past and present?
I guess I should mention only non-CCP games otherwise I will be biased. I like a broad range of games. Very old games like Super Mario Brothers, Contra on the Nintendo console, and Red Alert on PC. During summer school holidays, I would spent more than 14 hours every day playing games. Later on I moved to games like Counter Strike, Need for Speed, and StarCraft. More recently I’ve enjoyed games like the Battlefield series, Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, and a lot of console titles like God of War, GTA, Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us, Catherine and a lot more.
What’s something that people don’t know about you?
That I am really good at table tennis, and a great poker player. If you dare to check, I am right here waiting!
If you could use any weapon in our game to make a sandwich, what would it be and why?
I wouldn’t want to use any weapon, but if I could choose anything in the game, I would choose our RDV. I wonder what it would look like if it were wrapped into a huge sandwich… Hm okay now I am getting a few ideas… And also getting pretty hungry…

original link (http://dust514.com/news/blog/2014/06/developer-spotlight-ccp-time-runner-bing-xi/)

Malcanis
June 21 2014, 10:32:44 AM
I guess good ol' Bing is next for the chop eh?

Sponk
June 21 2014, 11:13:02 AM
Because of Live team? I think it's a different type of live. More like Operations rather than Media.