PDA

View Full Version : DF: Succession Fortress blowing up harddrives since 2002

Pages : [1] 2 3

Cue1*
May 31 2011, 04:50:57 AM
How this works:
Basically, last time kind of died because there wasn't much in the ways of failures. This time we'll make it a bit harder, even for pr0dorfers like me.

Rules:

-You have 1 week from the last person finishing to complete 1 year of DF time. Should you not complete it within this time, post what you have and the next person in line will finish your turn and theirs. If you don't post anything within a week and a half, we'll completely skip you and move on to the next person. Understand that this gives you a total of 3 days after your turn is up to post something, weather you're finished or not. If you've taken 7 days to play, post the save first and then work on your write-up while the next player gets started. If you still have time left, post the save and the write up simultaneously.

-When you are finished, post a summary of everything you completed, including a few screenshots. It's pointless to play a turn and not brag about the stupid you do.

-Your copy of DF will need to include the Defense Mod (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62874.0), and be otherwise not modded. Version 31.25 is the version in use. We will stick with this version until the fort dies.

-External programs that don't modify the game or 'cheat' are allowed, and in fact, encouraged. Just don't go revealing the map and what not.

-No walling yourself off. Having a single funnel point is also a no-no. The fort must at all times have two possible entrances, and neither can be bridged.

-Prodorfing is allowed, and even encouraged at some points. However, certain prodorf tricks are not allowed. Danger rooms are a no-no, and using the dwarven atom smasher as a weapon is also not allowed.

-Traps are allowed (because if not this will be a very short fort), but long funneling trap lines are not. Use traps in ways that cut down on the number of enemies, not completely decimate them.

-Most of all, do stupid shit.

The world:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LAGLX4EP This is both the world and the game. If you're having problems getting defense mod to work, just DL this and use it instead.

DevilDude
Cue 1*
firefoxx80
Zavior
Bentguru
XenosisReaper
Loganbacca
lubica
Wrack
Nicho Void
LAP2
Bentguru
lubica
Cue 1*
Nicho Void(skipped)
Shit griffon pilot (AKA dpidcoe)
- >XenosisReaper
GiDiYi
Jurskjeld

DevilDude
May 31 2011, 05:07:28 AM
I'll take a turn, I may even finish my writeup this time!

Jeats
May 31 2011, 06:04:35 AM
What are the different Megaproject that you can build? I mean the dangerous type that can kill half the fort if I level gets pulled int he wrong order...

Navigator Six
May 31 2011, 06:55:03 AM
How does this:

-You have 1 week from the last person finishing to complete 1 year of DF time. Should you not complete it within this time, post what you have and the next person in line will finish your turn and theirs.
Work with this:

If you don't post anything within a week and a half, we'll completely skip you and move on to the next person.

Also, underwater fort?

Redclaws
May 31 2011, 07:00:15 AM
I'd suggest the following (taken from the "challenges" page from the wiki and changed around a bit to make it even more challenging, not sure how hard it'll be with the defense mod):

Pretend you're a filthy above-ground dwelling human!
- Buildings and walls may only be constructed from wood or stone blocks, no regular stone.
- Build a town wall.
- Start with a small wooden wall, upgrade to a stone fortress wall with ballista and archer support later.
- Farms and the housing for the farmer must be outside the town walls.
- In case of a siege: rush them to within the walls or lock them up with food and water until the siege is over.
- Only surface crops are allowed.
- 1 house may only support a 3x3 farm and must be supplied with food and drinks from the fortress or from hunting.
- House your non-farmer dwarves in small town homes.
- 5-10 dwarves per house (they had pretty big families back in the day)
- Upstairs bedrooms, small dining room, maybe a single level basement for clothes,drinks and food.
- House your workshops according to profession, not convenience.
- Build a multistory large warehouse for all stockpiles, have guards posted at all times
- Create a keep, with its own wall, barracks, treasury, etc.
- House your nobles within the keep.
- Create a market square.
- Create a main street from the town wall to the market square and/or keep.
- The main street must be build with well-paved blocks, statues and decorative shubbery are a must.
- All other buildings must be connected with a small road.
- Build only 1 Inn, containing your main booze stockpile and should be party-oriented.
- No underground connections between different areas.
- For obtaining stone, metal, etc. a mine may be built, but must have separate entrance from other buildings.
- If you create a side hill mine, only carve large (at least 2 tiles) tunnels.
- If you build a shaft, it must be 3x3 to allow for air circulation.
- Or create an open pit mine / quarry, with ramps to access lower floors.
- BONUS: Miniproject: Build a large, multiple-z-level fountain complete with decorations.
- BONUS: Miniproject: Build a cathedral, with colored glass windows, underneath are the noble tomb catacombs.

XenosisReaper
May 31 2011, 08:41:22 AM
How does this:
[quote="Cue1*":8ahf3bya]-You have 1 week from the last person finishing to complete 1 year of DF time. Should you not complete it within this time, post what you have and the next person in line will finish your turn and theirs.
Work with this:

If you don't post anything within a week and a half, we'll completely skip you and move on to the next person.

Also, underwater fort?[/quote:8ahf3bya]

An underwater fort is literally the most mindbogglingly buggy, frustrating and futile thing to do. I vote yes.

firefoxx80
May 31 2011, 08:53:33 AM
I'm up for this.

Underwater fort requires a fortress next to sea/lake. Seems more challenging than a surface-level fort.

XenosisReaper
May 31 2011, 08:55:41 AM
I'm up for this.

Underwater fort requires a fortress next to sea/lake. Seems more challenging than a surface-level fort.

still think it should be on an evil glacier for ultimate difficulty?

Narmio
May 31 2011, 10:13:07 AM
Underwater fort isn't really that fun. It's just arsing around with a million million bloody pumps. Aboveground + Fortress Defence is 100% guaranteed to be over inside of two turns. You *will* get mobbed by tigermen or baboonmen or whatever when there's nothing built but three walls and a staircase. It could be fun, but non-pr0dorfers will die. Even pr0dorfers would have trouble if walling off was forbidden.

I would suggest something simple, like "no walling off, no danger rooms, no traps". Otherwise, go nuts. Anyone who does not expand the military and micro them properly will take hilarious losses. If the defence mod does its job there really shouldn't be any need for a megaproject beyond "the largest and best equipped army the fort can support".

Also, go for a glacier map, that way we'll need to rush the first layer of caverns for soil, water and wood. No need to make it easy! A small band of starving dwarves huddling together in an icy hellhole at the arse end of the world, beset on all sides by the armies of madness. Sounds good to me.

Zavior
May 31 2011, 10:56:56 AM
Signing up for this. You could provide a zip of the whole DF folder with the defense mod so people dont screw up with versions and stuff.
As for glaciers and embarking locations in general, could you generate a map that has pretty open cavern instead of the default tiny hallways?

firefoxx80
May 31 2011, 11:03:05 AM
Signing up for this. You could provide a zip of the whole DF folder with the defense mod so people dont screw up with versions and stuff.
As for glaciers and embarking locations in general, could you generate a map that has pretty open cavern instead of the default tiny hallways?

This.

Redclaws
May 31 2011, 11:14:22 AM
I agree with the open caverns thing :)

And underwater forts are pretty annoying because of all the cancellation spam, glaciers are pretty cool (see what I did there?)

Cue1*
May 31 2011, 03:08:28 PM
still think it should be on an evil glacier for ultimate difficulty?
I've definitely picked an evil area, however I find glaciers to be boring, as you just hole up and never even bother going above ground, just let everything come down.

How does this:
[quote="Cue1*":21qy011w]-You have 1 week from the last person finishing to complete 1 year of DF time. Should you not complete it within this time, post what you have and the next person in line will finish your turn and theirs.
Work with this:

If you don't post anything within a week and a half, we'll completely skip you and move on to the next person.[/quote:21qy011w]
You've got 1 week to do your shit, if we don't hear from you in 10 days at all we skip you. So if you disappear and don't post even your partial fort we just completely skip you.

Underwater fort isn't really that fun. It's just arsing around with a million million bloody pumps. Aboveground + Fortress Defence is 100% guaranteed to be over inside of two turns. You *will* get mobbed by tigermen or baboonmen or whatever when there's nothing built but three walls and a staircase. It could be fun, but non-pr0dorfers will die. Even pr0dorfers would have trouble if walling off was forbidden.

I would suggest something simple, like "no walling off, no danger rooms, no traps". Otherwise, go nuts. Anyone who does not expand the military and micro them properly will take hilarious losses. If the defence mod does its job there really shouldn't be any need for a megaproject beyond "the largest and best equipped army the fort can support".

Also, go for a glacier map, that way we'll need to rush the first layer of caverns for soil, water and wood. No need to make it easy! A small band of starving dwarves huddling together in an icy hellhole at the arse end of the world, beset on all sides by the armies of madness. Sounds good to me.
Glaciers again bore me, but as an added issue this isn't your every day caverns kick ass map. This is one of my customs and I absolutely detest having 3 cavern layers and having unlimited water due to the massive underground caverns. The likelyhood that the cavern will have water, and therefore a crapton of trees has been decreased. The Blood thorns still grow no matter what, but don't depend on finding everything else.

Wall
May 31 2011, 11:34:36 PM
10 days seems like a long wait.

Narmio
June 1 2011, 01:30:49 AM
Glaciers again bore me, but as an added issue this isn't your every day caverns kick ass map. This is one of my customs and I absolutely detest having 3 cavern layers and having unlimited water due to the massive underground caverns. The likelyhood that the cavern will have water, and therefore a crapton of trees has been decreased. The Blood thorns still grow no matter what, but don't depend on finding everything else.
Fair enough. Although there does still need to be a renewable source of water on the map, the new medical system uses water like crazy, and condemning wounded dwarves to guaranteed death isn't fun. And there will be a lot of wounded dwarves.

Can we agree on 1) No walling off against sieges, 2) No danger rooms, 3) No traps?

All military all the time!

XenosisReaper
June 1 2011, 01:34:39 AM
Fair enough. Although there does still need to be a renewable source of water on the map, the new medical system uses water like crazy, and condemning wounded dwarves to guaranteed death isn't fun. And there will be a lot of wounded dwarves.

Can we agree on 1) No walling off against sieges, 2) No danger rooms, 3) No traps?

All military all the time!

Also depending on the temperature of the map, farming is pretty much dependent on water?

Bentguru
June 1 2011, 02:42:36 AM
I'm in, and as a prodorfer will happily take some of the early turns.

Quick question though: The "no traps" restriction I assume only applies to regular old traps and not ridiculously elaborate traps that flood half the fort when the right pressure plate is stepped on.

Cause I want to do a few of those :D

XenosisReaper
June 1 2011, 02:43:47 AM
I'm in, and as a prodorfer will happily take some of the early turns.

CCCCC
C
C
CCCCC

Melichor
June 1 2011, 05:34:24 AM
I don't play, but I sure as hell am looking forward to reading about it

firefoxx80
June 1 2011, 07:44:24 AM
I'm in.

Cue1*
June 1 2011, 05:46:12 PM
Ok so I've tried three embarks so far, however each one has been lacking iron. I decided it'd be a good idea to make sure that there was iron in the area, so I've been using reveal to check for iron. So I'm still genning worlds ATM.

XenosisReaper
June 1 2011, 11:33:51 PM
Ok so I've tried three embarks so far, however each one has been lacking iron. I decided it'd be a good idea to make sure that there was iron in the area, so I've been using reveal to check for iron. So I'm still genning worlds ATM.

Delve faster, harder and deeper than anyone in the history of anal sex

Cue1*
June 3 2011, 02:53:48 AM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LAGLX4EP

I've really outdone myself this time. After realizing that iwasdoinitrong, I managed to get some iron on site. I have provided you brave 7 dwarves with a volcano for quick magma fun, and the most basic needs. There's also a river nearby for all your water needs, and some flux on the map. I'm going to suggest a focus on preparing for FUN as there's something like 900 titans and 10+ enemy civilizations. Have fun finding wood, as there's not much. Also, the caverns are not likely to contain much useful stuff as there's not likely any cavern water. Its still possible, just not likely.

I've edited the first post to begin.

Let the [strike:2gojujqb]games[/strike:2gojujqb] dwarfing begin!

I've definitely picked an evil area

This is the one concession I had to make. It's very hard to find a terrifying or sinister area with a river, iron, and a volcano. Trust me, 30 worlds and at least 90 embarks later, I think I know.

10 days seems like a long wait.
That's 10 days total. So you've got 7 days to do your turn, then 3 to post up.

Yes, Yes, No. I decided it would really suck for the fort if we couldn't use traps. I did however add a rule of not going crazy with the traps. A few to help even the odds are fine, long trap lines are not. Complex constructions focusing on bringing water, magma, and flooring down on the heads of our enemies is fine however.

Also, some people posted but didn't say they wanted in the order. I wasn't sure what to do then. Post again if you want a turn but aren't in the order.

Bentguru
June 3 2011, 03:37:22 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH

Loganbacca
June 3 2011, 06:13:54 AM
Alright, sign me up at the end of the current waiting list then. My overclocked i5-2500K stands at the ready.

XenosisReaper
June 3 2011, 06:54:19 AM
I have a feeling this fort will die by turn 2. oh well :razor:

Can you upload the original world just so I can play around, finding a volcano/river/iron is pretty damn hard.

edit, I should probably read the OP

edit again, I'll sign up for playing a roundddd

lubica
June 3 2011, 06:59:47 AM
signing up to play a round, tho if its between 8th and 16th of July, you're shit out of luck.

Narmio
June 3 2011, 07:00:07 AM
Nice work, Cue. I am bracing for awesome. Rock rock on, dwarfbros.

XenosisReaper
June 3 2011, 07:03:54 AM
Sign me up

kzig
June 3 2011, 06:02:28 PM
I suggest changing the sequence to the following:

Stop playing after 7 days / 1 DF year, whichever is sooner.[/*:m:2l6v4szk]
If you've taken 7 days, post the save first and then work on your write-up while the next player gets started.[/*:m:2l6v4szk]
If you still have time left, post the save and the write up simultaneously.[/*:m:2l6v4szk]

This should help avoid overly long delays between turns.

DevilDude
June 3 2011, 07:14:23 PM
just to be clear am I first again?

edit:

Stop playing after 7 days / 1 DF year, whichever is sooner.[/*:m:1vkec4wj]
If you've taken 7 days, post the save first and then work on your write-up while the next player gets started.[/*:m:1vkec4wj]
If you still have time left, post the save and the write up simultaneously.[/*:m:1vkec4wj]

excellent ideas

XenosisReaper
June 3 2011, 07:20:34 PM
Somebody explain how to combine both the fortressdefense mod and mayday

Wrack
June 3 2011, 07:26:19 PM
I'll sign up for a turn, but I will warn that I am the literal opposite of a prodorfer. I'll practice some in the couple weeks leading up to my turn though, so I don't get us all starved. In other words, I promise to lose in a :obama: way, not a :psyduck: way.

Cue1*
June 4 2011, 01:04:36 AM
Gotten a few questions about the 10 day thing, so one more time, you have 7 days to complete 1 dwarf year, if you do a partial year, then the next person will complete your remaining turn. Inside of those 7 days it's also preferable for you to finish your turn and post up your summary. After your 7 days if you haven't completed your turn, then DON'T PLAY ANYMORE TIME, just post what you've got. Should you be a douchebag and take an additional 3 days after your 7 days are up to post a writeup and your save, piss off we're skipping you.

So if you're excited about playing, you do your year and make a writeup within the first day, you're awesome, have a cookie. However, if you're a slowpoke and you take forever to do stuff, if you don't post anything within 10 days, we're skipping you.

Hopefully that makes sense to everyone.

Stop playing after 7 days / 1 DF year, whichever is sooner.[/*:m:27hidr0k]
If you've taken 7 days, post the save first and then work on your write-up while the next player gets started.[/*:m:27hidr0k]
If you still have time left, post the save and the write up simultaneously.[/*:m:27hidr0k]

Sounds like a plan. Will add to the OP.

just to be clear am I first again?

Unless you'd rather not be.

Nicho Void
June 4 2011, 01:12:34 AM
I would like to kill us.

Sign me up.

drizzcat
June 6 2011, 05:32:15 PM
Waiting for Updates Crew Checking in

filingo
June 6 2011, 05:41:38 PM
i approve of this thread greatly

DevilDude
June 6 2011, 07:07:54 PM
I'll try to get started on it tonight, went to see fishbone over the weekend so my head is still fucking ringing...

has anyone else fucking looked at this spawn? we'll probably last through my year but they'll all be dying at the end of it...

Narmio
June 7 2011, 02:52:43 AM
Rock rock on. Remember that in Defence Mod you can get first-year sieges by tigermen and frogmen, IIRC. They're mostly unarmed or armed with sticks and shit, but they're very early.

XenosisReaper
June 7 2011, 06:37:42 PM
Rock rock on. Remember that in Defence Mod you can get first-year sieges by tigermen and frogmen, IIRC. They're mostly unarmed or armed with sticks and shit, but they're very early.

Just dump a few points of AxeDwarf on your lumberjack and maybe some armour during the embark and you should be okay, with some traps and a chokepoint etc

XenosisReaper
June 8 2011, 06:17:44 PM
Updates Updates where are my Updates.

DevilDude
June 8 2011, 11:56:38 PM
working on it, I'm through most of my year and almost have the farms and forges set up, but we'll need to root around for useful metals. I'll post the save for the next guy tonight and start working on my RP, which I still haven't decided on yet...

Cue1*
June 9 2011, 03:51:21 AM
working on it, I'm through most of my year and almost have the farms and forges set up, but we'll need to root around for useful metals. I'll post the save for the next guy tonight and start working on my RP, which I still haven't decided on yet...
What do you mean useful metals? Are you blind? There's iron 30 squares from the wagon... :P

DevilDude
June 9 2011, 03:59:26 AM
ah, I'd been paying more attention to the landscape and how to use it, hadn't noticed that, either way it'll be up to the next guy to actually start putting the metals to use, but they won't have to work too hard there at least.

lubica
June 9 2011, 07:58:41 AM
Oh goodie, I'm towards the end of the list.

In the interests of not totally fucking up my writeup, does anyone have any good tips?

Narmio
June 9 2011, 10:23:15 AM
Oh goodie, I'm towards the end of the list.

In the interests of not totally fucking up my writeup, does anyone have any good tips?
If the fortress defence mod does its job the drama should write itself. Just train military and build arms/armour while taking care not to starve. Between the burning and the death and the invasions and the drowning and the death, it shouldn't be too hard to make it interesting.

lubica
June 9 2011, 10:46:28 AM
so should I just spam screencap like crazy?

also, do we get a new thread with funky titles and mocking and bemoaning of fail no-shows?

Melichor
June 9 2011, 05:30:58 PM
Looking forward to everyones epic adventures in dwarfdom

DevilDude
June 10 2011, 03:03:41 AM
OK, finished my year, still doing the writup but I'm uploading the save now. didn't get the farms up due to a siege during the last month of winter but what I planned out is pretty obvious, there's no wall in, no traps, no weapons as of yet the next guy will have to do that. all you need to do to get the farms going is let the mechanic link the last floodgate, fill the cistern and then cut it off and open it up to the bigger room, I set it up so it shouldn't run off into the lower stairs too. also there's a big designated room, that's for the forge, it's got a very large magma chamber under it, channel down anywhere in that and you get magma for a forge/smelter/kiln. I'll post some more once I've got my notes in order.

Cue1*
June 10 2011, 03:37:44 AM
No wall in, no traps, no weapons, how did you defeat the siege!?

Zavior
June 10 2011, 03:44:46 AM
If I understood correctly, the first year sieges are really weak and a dwarf with some kind of equipment(ie hands and general dwarfiness) is enough to wreck them.

DevilDude
June 10 2011, 03:58:07 AM
If I understood correctly, the first year sieges are really weak and a dwarf with some kind of equipment(ie hands and general dwarfiness) is enough to wreck them.
yeah it was like ten wrestlers and I just put as many dorfs in the army as I could and sicced them on the besiegers. Turns out one of our dwarves is a master of vomit style kung fu...

Narmio
June 10 2011, 04:22:54 AM
Drunken Master!

Also, did you sic your miners on them? If told to keep their picks, miners are fucking BOSS in early combat. Skulls are softer than solid rock, after all, and we all know how fast dwarves can mine through those.

Cue1*
June 10 2011, 05:37:08 AM
wtb save...

DevilDude
June 10 2011, 06:30:27 AM
I'm uploading it now. sry for the delays but I'm being pulled in many directions atm

edit: here

http://www.mediafire.com/?puhbdjg6q70n1ub

Cue1*
June 11 2011, 02:31:46 AM
So uhh, with the awesome fort entrance right beside the river, offering a great point of defense, you choose to go higher instead? :P Gotta wonder what was going through your head.

DevilDude
June 11 2011, 03:09:25 AM
you do realize that's a brook and offers no special defense right? if you look at what I did you'll see I left plenty of room for a large magma cistern behind the entryway...

ScaryTrollScaringYou
June 11 2011, 03:16:12 AM
you do realize that's a brook and offers no special defense right? if you look at what I did you'll see I left plenty of room for a large magma cistern behind the entryway...
p. sure channeling a brook makes it a river

Bentguru
June 11 2011, 03:16:27 AM
where is my write up damnit

DevilDude
June 11 2011, 04:07:23 AM
I'm fucking busy you cunt

Narmio
June 11 2011, 04:25:57 AM
Has whoever is next taken over already? Delays on updates is OK so long as fort is still GO.

Cue1*
June 11 2011, 04:46:35 AM
Has whoever is next taken over already? Delays on updates is OK so long as fort is still GO.
Mid-summer currently. Will likely pass on the save on Sunday or Monday. Doubtful I'll finish tonight. However, a small taste of the fun, I've already had two sieges.

XenosisReaper
June 11 2011, 01:13:28 PM
Mid-summer currently. Will likely pass on the save on Sunday or Monday. Doubtful I'll finish tonight. However, a small taste of the fun, I've already had two sieges.

Don't post the write up before the first write up please :psyduck:

Cue1*
June 12 2011, 01:22:34 AM

Was planning on waiting anyway. 14 days left and a THIRD siege shows up. FUCK! This one will require some very serious forethought and planning. 'Dem frogs be tough.

DevilDude
June 12 2011, 02:27:27 AM
[quote=Narmio]Has whoever is next taken over already? Delays on updates is OK so long as fort is still GO.

Was planning on waiting anyway. 14 days left and a THIRD siege shows up. FUCK! This one will require some very serious forethought and planning. 'Dem frogs be tough.[/quote:3r8d6qmk]
same thing happened with me, I'm about a third of the way through my writup but It probably won't be all that long, as not a huge amount of shit actually happened with mine, unfortunately our blackberry server blew up and me and another sysadmin were working on it through last night so I just woke up...

Narmio
June 12 2011, 02:45:37 AM
Four sieges in two years? Excellent.

Tellenta
June 12 2011, 03:00:56 AM
Change thread title to "I swear I'll post my update really!"?

Poem
June 12 2011, 08:17:13 AM
Change thread title to "I swear I'll post my update really!"?

Lex Fasces
June 12 2011, 10:38:13 AM
4 page thread with no writeups...

XenosisReaper
June 12 2011, 10:54:41 AM

Grendelfreak
June 13 2011, 11:14:20 AM

Another day another non-update.

Wall
June 13 2011, 02:36:50 PM
This time guys, this time we do it differently.

Wall
June 13 2011, 02:37:21 PM
This time guys, this time we do it differently.

Zavior
June 13 2011, 03:53:10 PM
This time guys, this time we dont get to the first update

KKassandra
June 13 2011, 03:54:34 PM
People seem to have forgotten that the whole purpose of this thread is to ENTERTAIN ME WITH AMUSING TALES OF DORFING.

:slaver: :slaver: :slaver: :slaver:

(Only half joking)

XenosisReaper
June 13 2011, 05:08:12 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://yourmotivational.com/uploads/6547.jpg&imgrefurl=http://yourmotivational.com/view/motivational/6547/F5/&usg=__MQqqqsNOqq6Ff3dHQUM1uBrVdoE=&h=379&w=600&sz=47&hl=en&start=2&zoom=0&tbnid=-rnEhWB52ZmG3M:&tbnh=85&tbnw=135&ei=5EP2TdDOJcXNswaBvpS2Bg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DF5%2Bdemotivational%26um%3D1%26hl%3De n%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D746%26bih%3D633%26tbm%3Disc h&um=1&itbs=1&biw=746&bih=633

kzig
June 13 2011, 05:23:58 PM
All in favour of non-chronological updates say aye!

XenosisReaper
June 13 2011, 05:37:51 PM
All in favour of non-chronological updates say aye!

Nay! it won't make sense otherwise and we'll be left going "WTF was the last guy thinking when he built THAT"

lubica
June 13 2011, 06:01:35 PM
Stick to the plan and keep flinging poo at Devildude!

Narmio
June 13 2011, 11:40:30 PM
> Failheap says "I must have updates!"
> Failheap says "I must have dwarfing!"

> Failheap has gone insane!

Selb
June 14 2011, 08:56:44 AM
DevilDude cancels update: Enjoying the rage too much

Polysynchronicity
June 14 2011, 10:11:39 AM
WTF is this shit

XenosisReaper
June 14 2011, 10:12:36 AM
Ban DevilDude.

edit, whoever took the 2nd turn can post their write up, I doubt we missed much other than the normal startup stuff that should be self evident tbh.

Who's number 3?

Shaikar
June 14 2011, 10:15:13 AM
I'm fucking useless you cunt
FYP.

Poem
June 14 2011, 12:07:22 PM
Yeah, post the second and start it moving again. The first turn won't be huge. He can put it up whenever he gets back from being a derp.

Cue1*
June 14 2011, 12:57:14 PM
At work currently. Save and writeup will go up at the same time as soon as I'm home.

Narmio
June 14 2011, 01:36:00 PM
I suggest that when Devildude does write up he edit his last post on the last page to include the complete update, so that everything is in chronological order if the second year is posted beforehand.

Tellenta
June 14 2011, 04:39:40 PM
I suggest that when Devildude does write up he edit his last post on the last page to include the complete update, so that everything is in chronological order if the second year is posted beforehand.

Meh just roleplay him in as an incompetent/corrupt dorf who failed to account for his time spent in command of the fortress and blame him for any developing problems with the fort.

Zavior
June 15 2011, 05:42:21 AM
I'll take a turn, I may even finish my writeup this time!
:monocledowns:

Tellenta
June 15 2011, 03:00:16 PM
At work currently. Save and writeup will go up at the same time as soon as I'm home.

You make it home alright or did devildude intercept you and now you are being held hostage?

Cue1*
June 15 2011, 04:27:01 PM

You make it home alright or did devildude intercept you and now you are being held hostage?
I worked from 9 to 9, crashed until now. Just got up(noon for reference). Luckily, work today will be extremely short, and I won't leave my laptop(with the current save) at work. :psyduck:

Cue1*
June 16 2011, 12:21:46 AM
1st of Granite
This place looks terrible. The entire plan for construction is poorly laid out, and unlikely to last past a few years in this god forsaken place. Who's idea it was to even embark here I haven't the slightest clue, however I can't believe we've even made it this far. First thing's first is to move lower, more towards the river, otherwise it'll take forever to get water. Since we're moving workshops and the hospital down there, we might as well move most of everything down there. The above area can be used for sleeping quarters, as to not disturb anyone sleeping with noise.
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/9538/workships.png

5th of Slade
The plans for moving below have gone well. Our farmers have begun creating farms and we will soon be self sufficient. An elven caravan has arrived and we have traded food and alcohol for some of our disgusting looking rock crafts. Stupid elves didn't even know how badly we were ripping them off.

20th of Slade
Invaders at the gates! A small group of dark strangers have attacked and are demanding our children! To deal with these honorless pigs I have led a small warband out to slaughter them. The day was won, although one of our warriors was injured, and I don't think he'll live. The stress of command is hard, but I will continue through it. His death was the fault of the enemy, not mine, however I will grief his death still.
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/3690/siegec.png

2nd of Felsite
I didn't even know someone had locked themselves in one of our workshops but apparently they did, and have now come out with a crossbow, made from some bones of our enemies. It will surely be useful in the coming months.
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/473/artifact.png

24th of Felsite
How it happened I have no clue, however in the process of digging out the magma channel for our new magma forges a small peek hole was opened to the caverns. I fear what is below, and I doubt any good will come from this development.
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/5906/cavern.png

30th of Galena
Thus far, very little of meaning has occurred. After the slow death of the soldier I led into combat, I decided it would be best to order the creation of a hospital, as well as a full inventory of our stock. Alcohol is getting low so I ordered more stills to be created and converted a vast majority of our food stocks to alcohol by accident. Hopefully the harvest will be good this month, otherwise we might starve for my mistake.

1st of Limestone
Enemies knocked on our door again. Clearly last night's entry of boredom has brought misfortune to us all. Again I lead our warriors to battle, pick in one hand, liberty in the other. These enemies, while larger, seem to die just as quickly. The slaughter left behind was so disgusting, I ordered all evidence of their ever existing destroyed. There was no honor to be had in their deaths, only disgrace.
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4795/siegeagain.png

1st of Moonstone
With the official passage into winter, I dread what is left to come. Crops seem to be harvesting well, although little can be grown, just dimple cups. The last few months have been hard, as we expand out to keep up with the expanding fort. My hands are numb from all the mining.

16th of Obsidian
As I prepare to hand off my title and all it's benefits to whoever is to follow me, I spend a few moments to look at the fort from the outside. Little seems done, mostly because of how much we have achieved inside. I look across the brook, and sure as daylight, a third race has come to kill us. I rush back inside and begin preparations for a fight. I rouse my two squadmates and we suit up. Before leaving I declare martial law until I get back. Not but a few moments after stepping out, a squad of goblins appear and open fire on us. Now we must fight both the goblins and the invading tigermen. Luckily, they seem to fight each other as well. As the free for all plays out, it wasn't the worst that could happen. The goblins retreat first, and leave us to slaughter the tigermen. They are no match for our superior steel weapons, but in the last moments of the fight one of them manages to hurt me and a squad mate. We will both survive, however my injuries clearly remove me from office. I step down leaving my successor to clean up the mess, while I recuperate.
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3183/ambushh.png

Save (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A8KG8QWW)

Narmio
June 16 2011, 01:49:49 AM
I like this "three or so sieges per update" thing. Much more interesting than "three or so updates per siege."

So, who's next?

Cue1*
June 16 2011, 02:26:03 AM
I like this "three or so sieges per update" thing. Much more interesting than "three or so updates per siege."

So, who's next?
firefoxx80

firefoxx80
June 16 2011, 07:48:14 AM
About to go to work, should pick up the save in 10hrs or so and be able to take a look.

Got some family and friends staying fot the weekend, so updates might be slow, but I shall post when I can.

XenosisReaper
June 16 2011, 09:41:22 AM
Page 5 1st update. -_- rename thread to "Fucking Updates how do they work"

:Companioncube: though

Loganbacca
June 16 2011, 09:54:38 AM
wooo, updates \o/

Now can we keep it going? don't let us down FF.

Lex Fasces
June 16 2011, 10:30:46 AM
thank fuck for that. if someone doesnt complete their updates within a week or whatever just skip their go because otherwise this whole thing stagnates

spiralJunkie
June 16 2011, 10:49:16 AM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://yourmotivational.com/uploads/6547.jpg&imgrefurl=http://yourmotivational.com/view/motivational/6547/F5/&usg=__MQqqqsNOqq6Ff3dHQUM1uBrVdoE=&h=379&w=600&sz=47&hl=en&start=2&zoom=0&tbnid=-rnEhWB52ZmG3M:&tbnh=85&tbnw=135&ei=5EP2TdDOJcXNswaBvpS2Bg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DF5%2Bdemotivational%26um%3D1%26hl%3De n%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D746%26bih%3D633%26tbm%3Disc h&um=1&itbs=1&biw=746&bih=633

really?
it's done like this
http://yourmotivational.com/uploads/6547.jpg

Kalil
June 17 2011, 10:02:31 AM
Moar!

firefoxx80
June 17 2011, 12:33:00 PM
I know... I know... MrsFF invited the in-laws down for the weekend, so I'm going to be tied up until Sunday.

I might be able to get my turn kicked off this evening though, and get one season sorted out.

Cue1*
June 19 2011, 03:41:13 AM
I know... I know... MrsFF invited the in-laws down for the weekend, so I'm going to be tied up until Sunday.

I might be able to get my turn kicked off this evening though, and get one season sorted out.
WTB updates.

lubica
June 19 2011, 11:23:26 AM
At the pace that this is going, I can already see how my turn will come up right during the one week in the whole year that I really won't be able to play or give a shit about DF anyway.

firefoxx80
June 19 2011, 02:25:24 PM
5th Granite 102
After a weary journey, I have arrived at Village Thatthilshorast. I know not about this place, lest it be carved into the side of an ominous volcano. I have sent scouts ahead to warn the fortress of my impending arrival...

firefoxx80
June 19 2011, 02:29:23 PM
6th Granite 102
My arrival seems to be welcomed by the dwarves, not due to my fame nor breeding, but simply because I am a friendly face. The inhabitants talk of all manner of creatures and beasts. I have instructed my clark to check the fortress for any... influences; this shall not become another shrine to darkness.

XenosisReaper
June 19 2011, 02:34:27 PM
Needs picturessss

edit, also put it all in one post? :P

firefoxx80
June 19 2011, 03:46:39 PM
Spring 102
The men seem unorganised, I had organsied them into labour teams so that the fortress may operate efficiently. I have also drafted more men into the military, and devised a training scheme.

All this, without realising a most disastrous turn of events. My predecessors must believe that food can be manifested out of thin air; our stocks are so pityfully low, and with no means of replenishing them. Without access to surface farming, I fear the situation may not improve! I have ordered the men to construct an enclosed garden at the top of the peak.

http://i.imgur.com/V2u7i.png

Mid spring bought much needed supplies, and danger. No sooner had the elven caravan unpacked, we were set upon by fishmen and tigermen. Our forces no match for their onslaught, I order the men inside, whilst the caravan is raped.

http://i.imgur.com/AJD5w.png

This season is not all bad news, we welcome two new children into our stock. My bookeeper warns me about all these extra mouths to feed, but they are a welcome addition.

LarkinAlpha
June 19 2011, 07:35:55 PM
I like your mountaintop death cage there. Not sure how much further up that other slope goes, but bowgobs LOVE to pick off dwarves in an enclosed area like that.

elmicker
June 19 2011, 08:46:01 PM
Make that the first project, then. glass it over, make it a greenhouse.

firefoxx80
June 19 2011, 08:49:17 PM
Just a small peak, it can be flattened easily enough.

But f**k me, this fortress is tricky.

firefoxx80
June 20 2011, 07:56:35 PM
Summer 102
With our food stocks dangerously low, I order the men to construct some surface farms to the north of the fortress. This is dangerous work, our Tigermen and Fishmen assailants are still outside, and still too great in number for us to attempt to break the siege, but food is too important. Fortunately, our besiegers are too preoccupied with the trade depot and its spoils to notice, and a retaining wall is soon erected. The men are ordered to dampen the ground so that we may farm.

http://i.imgur.com/7R68V.png

Summer moves on, and these ghastly creatures are still showing no signs of leaving. They feast on the bones of the recent Elven caravan to keep themselves amused. The men persuade me that they can take advantage of the natural volcano in order to bring a short, firey end to our problem. I approve of this plan, and work starts in earnest...

http://i.imgur.com/Ahq3k.png

The close of summer brings more to our enemy's number, now 80 strong, almost exceeding our fortress itself. However, work on the magma gravity cannon is almost complete.

http://i.imgur.com/56p5T.png

(pro-tip, stone pots, made at a craft workshop, are the same as barrels = save wood)

Bentguru
June 20 2011, 09:28:31 PM
magma gravity cannon

YES, THIS IS WHY WE DORF PEOPLE

but iirc magma does not pressurize, so the end result should be funny as shit

Cue1*
June 21 2011, 01:42:20 AM
With our food stocks dangerously low
Actually it's not. I farm quarry bushes usually, so the numbers on the Z screen are not correct. Start making meals and you'll find you've got a lot of food that just needs to be prepared.

lubica
June 21 2011, 07:36:07 AM
magma gravity cannon

YES, THIS IS WHY WE DORF PEOPLE

Zavior
June 21 2011, 08:14:27 AM
magma gravity cannon
It does not, but if you have pumps it will kinda work. People have done it before, check DF MA (http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/) for videos

With our food stocks dangerously low
Actually it's not. I farm quarry bushes usually, so the numbers on the Z screen are not correct. Start making meals and you'll find you've got a lot of food that just needs to be prepared.

I remember having a master chef doing meals back in 40D, just for trade. Damn those roasts were expensive :psyduck:
It might have unwanted side effect of attracting more powerful sieges or something in this mod though

Lex Fasces
June 21 2011, 10:44:49 AM
what does the defense mod do? TLDR please =)

also nice update keep em coming!

Wensley
June 21 2011, 10:56:25 AM

It adds ten hostile neighbouring civilisations and triggers them to attack you with increasing violence as the years go by until you have an army of colossi outside your front door.

Lex Fasces
June 21 2011, 10:58:59 AM

It adds ten hostile neighbouring civilisations and triggers them to attack you with increasing violence as the years go by until you have an army of colossi outside your front door.

cool =)

is it compatible with the latest lazy newb pack you reckon? i wouldnt mind using it but dont want random ASCII characters in with my lovely tilesets lol

Zavior
June 21 2011, 11:03:09 AM
Most likely you would get random ascii chars there as shown above when the tigermen and fishmen attacked

Lex Fasces
June 21 2011, 01:46:24 PM
there is graphics, if you download the defence mod it contains a graphics folder:

Fortress Defense Graphics - thanks to kzel for creating most of them!

IMPORTANT: These graphics are ONLY for basic mode races. Challenge mode races do not yet have sprites!

Cue1*
June 21 2011, 04:01:12 PM
LNP is just all the resources thrown together, so yes, it's compatible.

firefoxx80
June 21 2011, 08:01:13 PM
Autumn 102
http://i.imgur.com/yBAOc.png
As our weapon readies to fire, our enemy decides to retreat to the upper slopes. This gives us the opportunity to seal the outer gate and scavenge what we can from the trade depot.

With time on our side, the men start work on building more workshops.

The days pass slowly.

And... as the season draws to a close, as suddenly as our enemy appeared, they disappear into the ether.

Cue1*
June 21 2011, 08:06:14 PM
seal the outer gate

-No walling yourself off. Having a single funnel point is also a no-no. The fort must at all times have two possible entrances, and neither can be bridged.
wut?

firefoxx80
June 21 2011, 08:35:18 PM
Gah. I forgot that. I'll tear it down at end of turn.

Srly though, size of siege I had, basically wiped out fortress for first three runthroughs I did.

Edit: Given that no bulding destroyers have appeared, it's the same as a locked door. But I will do the above before turn end.

Lex Fasces
June 21 2011, 10:00:52 PM
either way its good so far. keep the magma cannon for later uses!

rojomojo915
June 23 2011, 09:24:45 PM
Thats now the last 2 fortresses that have killed the forums.

firefoxx80
June 24 2011, 08:43:06 AM
Yeah, I didnt play last night due to server death.

d/w, only one season left. I'll get it up tonight, should be in ~10h or so.

Zavior
June 24 2011, 11:43:06 AM
I'll be away for the weekend as its midsummer, so I'll get to my turn on monday if the save is up by then

firefoxx80
June 24 2011, 06:00:16 PM
Winter 102
Today we receive word from the Mountainhome:

To overseer FireFoxx80,

We are aware of your work on a magma gravity cannon, congratulations on this wonderful invention. However, dwarven policy dictates that at least one fire exit must be kept clear at all times, when dealing with magma-based weaponry. We hope you understand.

Yours,
Mountainhome

HOW DARE THEY?! Has any one of them stepped foot onto the surface? Had to trek, under this never-ending sun, across river and wood, to reach a place far from home? I would destroy this letter and claim I had never read it, however my rather particular clerk insists that me must do the mountainhome's bidding. Thus, I order the men to replace the external gates with a less-sturdy looking door....

The middle of the season brings fresh migrants, and fresh sieges. Those pooe sould were ambushed as they approached the fortress, and our ill-trained militia would be no match for a goblin squad. I left them to their fate. If anything is left by the season's end, I will ensure it gets a proper burial.

Speaking of burial, I have ordered some tombs to be constructed in the depths. This should solve the problem of bodies littering the corridors.

Summary
Sorry for lack of pics, the forum death put me behind with my turn, so I kinda rushed it. Oddly, the fort is running low on food, so might want to work out why the farmers aren't farming, and put the kitchens to work on cooking the quarry bush leaves (like Cue1* suggests, above).

Save is at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6T5POL02

Bentguru
June 24 2011, 07:17:04 PM
the fort is running low on food, so might want to work out why the farmers aren't farming, and put the kitchens to work on cooking the quarry bush leaves (like Cue1* suggests, above).

NONSENSE, top priority must be to complete the magma cannon and test fire it.

Bentguru
June 26 2011, 01:42:07 AM
the fort is running low on food, so might want to work out why the farmers aren't farming, and put the kitchens to work on cooking the quarry bush leaves (like Cue1* suggests, above).

Testfiring sounds suspiciously elven. The dwarven way to utilize magma is to wait until the fortress is fighting for it's life.

Or just place the lever in the dining hall and wait for a bezerker.

Activating poorly constructed massive traps that have the potential to destroy the fortress is quite dorfish I assure you

Zavior
June 26 2011, 07:44:26 PM
Got the save, will start plaing tomorrow

Lex Fasces
June 26 2011, 07:58:50 PM

Testfiring sounds suspiciously elven. The dwarven way to utilize magma is to wait until the fortress is fighting for it's life.

Or just place the lever in the dining hall and wait for a bezerker.

Activating poorly constructed massive traps that have the potential to destroy the fortress is quite dorfish I assure you

sounds pretty pr0 to me actually =)

firefoxx80
June 26 2011, 08:33:21 PM
It has selective fire, I vote got setting off either end, then melting things in the middle.

Zavior
June 28 2011, 01:06:38 PM
I have the z screen in my writeup, can include military stats from dwarf the rapist too i guess. I might post a part of the writeup later tonight :obama:

firefoxx80
June 28 2011, 01:07:26 PM
Xeno, it looks like FD is already in the save. It just adds/changes some raws, which now port with the savegame.

Zavior
June 28 2011, 06:20:38 PM
1st of Granite.

[spoiler:3ec1tyh7]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/df_z.PNG[/spoiler:3ec1tyh7]

I have arrived to the village of Thatthilshorast, Autumnwire. The place is a mess. The military is slacking off and the only thing that are keeping fortress safe
are two locked doors at the front gate. Gladly I was able to sneak in and take the position appointed to me by the mountainhome. First thing I had to do is to order
the peasants to build me an office worthy of my status.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/captains_quarters.PNG

It appears that our military is poorly equipped, most of the soldiers wearing leather armor. No proper dwarf will wear leather armor into battle. We shall seek iron and steel to strengthen our forces.
I personally ordered Ushir Cogotin, legendary armorsmith, to start smithing steel armor for our military. All squads shall wear pure dwarven steel.

The reports from outside of the fortress alert us of a nearing danger. I have ordered the soldiers to take position at the front gates to lure the tigermen in.

[spoiler:3ec1tyh7]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/siege1.PNG[/spoiler:3ec1tyh7]
[spoiler:3ec1tyh7]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/siege2.PNG[/spoiler:3ec1tyh7]
This isn't even all of them! There are 4 more squads if the scouts are to be trusted..

The engineers in this fortress have not been idle. We shall lure the tigermen to a trap!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/MAGMAFUCKINGCANNON.PNG

An ambush! A squad of tigermen had snuck past the scouts.. The army will stand no chance against the tigermen.. But neither will the tigermen stand any chance against dwarven engineering!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/magmasolution.PNG

The dwarven magmacannon proves to be effective. While our quest to equip and train the army continues, dwarven ingenuity shall save us.

---

Seems like the siege(or is it 2 sieges? 3 sieges?) will fuck the fortress if you dont wall in. Tried couple of times and the military got raped too fast to do anything. Also, the magma cannon likes to crash DF so use it with caution :obama:
Will continue playing tomorrow

Lex Fasces
June 28 2011, 06:41:56 PM
how does that magma cannon work?

each leaver controls the floodgate?

firefoxx80
June 29 2011, 11:40:32 AM
how does that magma cannon work?

each leaver controls the floodgate?

Lever by the staircase is a master switch, it controls a floodgate just above it.
(Handy if any of the latter floodgates break, or you want to change the config of the cannon itself)

Then, each lever in the corridor controls the floodgate just above it. There's no 'open everything' option.

Redclaws
June 29 2011, 11:56:06 AM
Is this mod better balanced than the original? My dwarf "army" always gets wiped out by the first goblin ambush even with iron/steel armor. And they have been training (no danger room) all year round.

lubica
June 29 2011, 01:40:21 PM
Is this mod better balanced than the original? My dwarf "army" always gets wiped out by the first goblin ambush even with iron/steel armor. And they have been training (no danger room) all year round.

DF combat mechanics have always seemed incredibly random to me, I've had entire squads of steel equipped trained soldiers wiped out by a goblin ambush and I've had leather recruits fucking up an ambush solo.

One thing I can think of: are you 100% sure they've equipped all the weapons/armour you assigned them? don't trust the military screen, double check via each dwarfs personal equipment.
also, sending your dorfs blindly charging into a squad of crossbow goblins and lasher goblins is a recipe for disaster, it won't matter what kind of armor they're wearing.

Zavior
June 29 2011, 01:47:27 PM
1. Felsite
Our forges need more steel. Gladly this mountain possesses vast quantities of iron. With flux we have our steel production will continue without hiccups.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/2/iron.PNG

Military training continues. While most of the soldiers stand at the training grounds aimlessly while waiting for someone to hold their hand and guide them forwards,
more apt inviduals have started to hone their skills invidually. These inviduals are what Autumnwire needs.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/2/training.PNG

We have many stoneworkers here without anything to do. All this while our citizens sleep in rough barracks! The stoneworkers are to smooth the living quarters and the dining hall.
The massive mining, hauling and forging operations have employed the vast majority of the fortress. Only three dwarves remain unoccupied while the rest perform their duties.

A child has been possessed.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/2/feymood.PNG

is this a sign? Right after the child fell into a fey mood more reinforcements arrive for the tigermen...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/2/siege.PNG

The child demands logs. Yet our stockpiles have been running empty since the siege begun.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/2/logneed.PNG

Luckily, there is precisely one tree to be safely cut down!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/2/log.PNG

A concerning matter has been brought to my knowledge. Two magma forges have been designed, yet not built for a long time. Quick inspection reveals that no dwarf is currently handling
the architechtural work. Few stoneworkers are ordered to fill these duties.

The child has worked without rest for weeks and created Ilon Kirar, The healing of Rights, a goat bone cabinet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/2/artifact.PNG

New living quarters are to be built. Unused halls dug before my time shall be put to use. The stoneworkers are ordered to smooth the walls, floors and doors are to be installed.
Beds are being moved to the new living quarters as we speak. The space is still cramped, but for population of 77, our accommodations were pitiful.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/2/newcaptainsquarters.PNG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/2/2feymood.PNG

A member of the military.. What skills might he have had before being recruited?

---
About halfway through my year. For some reason food stocks are low, and they refuse to cook the dwarven syrup that there are over 100 units of. Any clue why?

Also, I've used all the charcoal there was. So no more steel incoming before we get more wood :P

Not much action with the tigermen etc sieging us. The military just isnt up to the task yet. I could lure them in and bathe them in magma though :derper:

lubica
June 29 2011, 01:56:18 PM
Cool update!

2 things though: I noticed some very precisely defined ore veins to be dug in the first screenshot, I though we were not allowed to use dfhack tools (except on the first year/embark)?

2nd: lack of wood? DIG FOR CAVERNS! (will also start spawning FBs)

Zavior
June 29 2011, 02:20:53 PM
The OP only says things about revealing the map and such. I wouldn't count dfdig as cheating :P
Caverns.. Yeah I think I'll head down there next. Would have to solve why the dwarves refuse to cook the syrup though before that though :|

elmicker
June 29 2011, 02:36:25 PM
Caverns.. Yeah I think I'll head down there next. Would have to solve why the dwarves refuse to cook the syrup though before that though :|
Dwarves only cook syrup as a last resort (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2393), same as all other liquid foodstuffs.

Cue1*
June 29 2011, 05:08:27 PM
Nothing wrong with dfvdig, it just makes it easier, no need to keep going back to re designate stuff.

If you'll remember, by some random glitch I already revealed the cavern. I would suggest caution, as there's at least one FB down there now.

It seems to me that the magma cannon was the best invention so far. Can't wait for some of the destroyer2 enemies to show up. Hehe.

I was sorely tempted to begin landscaping the mountain, but that's A LOT of work, which I didn't have time to do. It does, however, make defense much easier if you do. Hint Hint.

lubica
June 29 2011, 05:36:35 PM
Nothing wrong with dfvdig, it just makes it easier, no need to keep going back to re designate stuff.

If you'll remember, by some random glitch I already revealed the cavern. I would suggest caution, as there's at least one FB down there now.

It seems to me that the magma cannon was the best invention so far. Can't wait for some of the destroyer2 enemies to show up. Hehe.

I was sorely tempted to begin landscaping the mountain, but that's A LOT of work, which I didn't have time to do. It does, however, make defense much easier if you do. Hint Hint.
Throw caution to the wind, dig deep. Arnok commands it!

Zavior
June 29 2011, 06:27:18 PM
20th Galena. Late Summer

Goblins. Not many of them, and most are bow goblins. We shall take them on on our terms.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/3/gobbos.PNG

Led by the squad Ferocity of Mechanisms, our forces charge at the goblins. First volley from the bowgoblins cuts down 4 of ours.
The scramble in the tiny hallway quickly turns into our favor.
Yet the lack of equipment leads to heavy, but avoidable losses. Clearly the military was not ready for this. But the goblins have had enough.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/3/victorythroughdefeat.PNG

One of the goblins trails behind, limping away.. We shall avenge our fallen soldiers!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/3/woundedgobbo.PNG

Zan Dodoksefol of the first squad chases down the goblin. With no mercy, steel battle axe cuts down the goblin. For this, they call him Goblinslayer.

The field is ours. So are most of the casualties. Ten soldiers die, most of them recruits with poor equipment. But the siege is gone, and the front gates are reclaimed once more.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/3/lackofequipment.PNG

After the carnage, the order is given to dig deeper. Soon reports of huge underground cavern system spread through the population.

With no warning, a deadly beast from the caverns has snuck up on us.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/3/fb.PNG

The remaining military is quickly ordered to challenge the beast.
Before the soldiers arrive, the forgotten beast has made its way up to the living quarters, which, luckily are mostly empty at this time of day.
There, it is locked in. Nine kills it claimed to its name already. Clearly, the cavern entrance must be quickly made more secure.
But the doors are not enough to keep the beast in. Quickly it bashes the doors down and starts to make its way down to the central shaft.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/3/fbgoingdown.PNG

The beast is soon slain. Only 46 dwarves remain. A sturdy rock door is installed at the cavern entrance. It will not hold against beasts such as this, but it may give the civilians time to run.
The damage has been done. Everyone is angry at everyone. Many soldiers thrown tantrums.

22nd Sandstone

Migrants. Roughly 10 dwarves arrive.
Erith Gatinavuz, a leather worker has lost it. She went berserk. Ast Satlibash, a woodworker soon followed. Only 49 dwarves remain, and the number will soon dwindle.

A caravan has arrived. Time to replenish our stocks. If the trader hasn't gone mad, that is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/3/caravan.PNG

What do we trade? We trade mugs. Granite mugs, schist mugs. Mugs. We have plenty of mugs. I wonder what the caravan leader might think of the place.
Babbling, mindless, tantruming dwarves running around, skeletons and death everywhere. And the only thing we have for trade are mugs.

22nd Timber
Morul Loloksemor, stoneworker has been possessed.

We are getting blobbed. The military, or the remains of the military, has been ordered to tackle the thing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/3/blob.PNG

The blob was quickly taken care of. The soldiers are wondering if there are more of those.. Surely this is not the blob that the mountainhome has told them about.
Many of our citizens are losing it, people go berserk daily, interrupting the ongoing trading.

The caravan trader must be insane. He bought all of our mugs. We we able to buy off all their food, drink, plenty of wood and even few fine pieces of steel equipment.

3rd Moonstone. Early Winter

The madness continues. We are down to 40 dwarves.
Morul Loloksemor, the stoneworker has finished his work. He doesn't remember doing any of it, but the result is astonishing.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/3/art.PNG

The trade depot has been destroyed. Not by goblins, tigermen, but a dwarf. Soon after he was struck down by the military.
An order of 30 rock coffins has been made. It wont be enough. There are still deaths every day. 33 dwarves remain.
What once was three full squads is now not enough to fill one squad. The squads shall remain as they are until dwarves stop dying.

New burial chambers are to be dug out, next to my quarters. This will always serve as reminder of the responsibilities of the leader.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/d/3/burial.PNG

13th Obsidian. Late Winter
We are again under siege. The only thing we can do is lock the doors and hope for the best.

15th Obsidian. Late Winter
Another siege arrives.

16th Obsidian. Late Winter
Yet another siege.

19th Obsidian. Late Winter
Yet another siege.

---------
I had a lot of FUN saved up for the later part of the year it seems. The goblin were much more deadly than I had expected. I had steel armor on yet they killed many. The forgotten beast caught me completely by surprise, as no warning whatsoever came. So it just walked in and started to kill people.
There is plenty of food and drinks. Feel free to clear the manager windor of my orders.

New hotkey: f3 to go to caverns

save: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/End%20 ... nd%203.rar (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15004132/End%20of%20round%203.rar)

Zavior
June 29 2011, 06:38:08 PM
Oh they are as secure as can be, I mean they are one z level above what most dwarves ever go

Cue1*
June 29 2011, 06:39:49 PM
Stop using 10 man squads. 3 well trained dwarves with full steel outfits will do a lot more damage than 10 recruits in random assortments of metal stuff. Also squads of 3 train faster than squads of 10.

Zavior
June 29 2011, 06:50:07 PM
I'm pretty lost as of the new military stuff, it took fucking ages to set them all to wear steel uniforms. All I know I had 3 squads of 10 that I managed to GLORY FOR ARMOK down to one squad of.. 7? 8? dwarves. Also it seemed like training took ages and didnt really work :obama:

edit: I just checked, the Steel uniform doesn't include a shield at all. Might explain the heavy losses a bit. I thought it had all :facepalm:

Bentguru
June 29 2011, 09:33:38 PM
The fort would failboat the second before I got control...

Zavior
June 29 2011, 09:48:24 PM
I completely blame the ninja forgotten beast

Lex Fasces
June 29 2011, 11:02:19 PM
what tileset is that?

lubica
June 30 2011, 12:12:49 AM
good show old chap, good show

Cue1*
June 30 2011, 12:55:47 AM
what tileset is that?
Phoebus' Graphic Set (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52186.0)

edit: I just checked, the Steel uniform doesn't include a shield at all. Might explain the heavy losses a bit. I thought it had all :facepalm:

did you just tunnel into the cavern and forget you'd done it? I normally bridge up the entrance or at least have a trap corridor
Will suck up blame for both of these. The FB was in my turn, but since I hadn't actually opened the cavern and it was revealed by a glitch, I didn't remember to put it in my summary. The steel uniform I also made, and I didn't include a shield because the uniform doesn't include a weapon at all. You were supposed to add a weapon and a shield.

Also it seemed like training took ages and didnt really work :obama:
Training works best when they spar, which only two can do at a time. So squads of 3 will train much faster than squads of 10.

Zavior
June 30 2011, 12:56:02 AM

did you just tunnel into the cavern and forget you'd done it? I normally bridge up the entrance or at least have a trap corridor

I didnt forget I had done it, apparently the forgotten beast was already spawned when I got there so no warning appeared. I think someone mentioned that they had gotten the vision of the caverns before, so that would explain no warning if the fb was already there. Then it just trampled a wall that was not yet built and went on a rampage.

Narmio
June 30 2011, 12:58:18 AM
Fuck yeah, tantrum spiral.

stormyfs-shitpoastin
June 30 2011, 05:19:13 AM
Execute everyone except a farmer, miner and craftsdwarf.
That should stop the spiral.

:D

Zavior
June 30 2011, 09:36:17 AM
They had full steel armor and weapons for the most part, but no shields. I think the uniform includes a steel pick so it has a weapon. Dont know if the lack of shield was the critical part :obama:

Zavior
July 1 2011, 01:01:10 AM
Not sure if the next guy has noticed, but the save has been posted for 2 days already :obama:

Bentguru
July 1 2011, 03:01:37 AM
Not sure if the next guy has noticed, but the save has been posted for 2 days already :obama:

I noticed, I got it and will be putting shit up over the weekend. Assuming I can stop the tantrum spiral.

Reed Tiburon
July 1 2011, 05:25:55 AM
failcascade is go

Kalil
July 4 2011, 07:58:10 AM
I noticed, I got it and will be putting shit up over the weekend. Assuming I can stop the tantrum spiral.

A second page listing will not do. Tantrum spiral averted?

Loganbacca
July 4 2011, 09:43:14 AM
shit shit shit I'm next
Crap, that means I'm up soon as well.

Bentguru
July 4 2011, 07:23:50 PM
yeah so I can avoid the tantrum spiral. Saving the fort from an invading force that is 5x its size when I only have 5 military dwarfs who's highest skill is novice axedwarf is another matter.

So I will be violating the "no walling yourself in" rule. Fuck the mountain-homes.

Once I finish building The LABYRINTH I will un-violate it, in a selective fashion. Technically there will be an open route to the fort, it will just be through a map spanning deathtrap of ridiculous complexity. The main entrance will have a bridge.

Zavior
July 4 2011, 07:31:57 PM
Considering that for the last two turns the fort has already been walled off from the outside world I dont think its that bad anymore :obama:

also post pics of the labyrinth

Bentguru
July 4 2011, 07:47:55 PM
Considering that for the last two turns the fort has already been walled off from the outside world I dont think its that bad anymore :obama:

also post pics of the labyrinth

actually it isn't. there are doors open to the outside. Or, there were doors.

Bentguru
July 4 2011, 08:08:05 PM
Journal of Elder Urvad Sashasfath, Holy Warrior of Thatthilshorast and High Priest of Onshen Eelhog the Cyclopean Juices

Book of the Juices, Chapter 4; 4-6:

"Woe be he who partakes of the waters and not of the blessed alcohols. For he is the cursed dwarf, and the Great God Onshen Eelhog will turn his eye from him, and he shall drown in the saliva of disdain."

Hard times, these are hard times indeed. The Great Cyclops has turned his juicy favor away from us, and lo have we suffered. Two thirds of the fort have perished, dragged down into the endlessly dry and chapped underworld.

Yet, His Watery Greatness has blessed me with a vision, showing me the moist path back to greatness. He has decreed that we are unworthy of the surface, that we should close ourselves off from the wider world until we have purified ourselves of any unholy influences. Then, we shall construct a mighty temple to our God, full of watery deathpits and devious traps so that the cursed invaders may find justice in our God's embrace.

And He has decreed that it will be I, Urvad Sashasfath, shall be the one who leads my people to their salvation.

Bentguru
July 5 2011, 02:47:58 PM
Pictures requested.

You will get pictures when you deserve them sinner!

EntroX
July 5 2011, 04:29:10 PM
:popcorn:

Bentguru
July 5 2011, 06:22:28 PM
I'm confused, does a soldiers skill affect their ability to deal with trauma? 6 of my military dwarves (1 rank 7 and the others all novices/adequate) just bumrushed 8 undead yaks, with one loss, instantly the 4 novices began tantruming and fucking shit up while the experienced one was still "very happy"

The fort ended with 5 insane dwarves and the (now legendary) axedwarf surviving, 54 other dwarves dead, and the axedwarf was STILL FUCKING HAPPY.

I think with more combat experience dwarves can become dead inside (or something) so that they just don't care about their friends dying around them.

Maybe your lone axedwarf was a sociopath though.

Zavior
July 5 2011, 07:19:52 PM
That dwarf will have something that says he doesnt care about people dying around him. I think butchers get that pretty fast as well. Can't remember what it was, but it has been in the game for a long time.

Narmio
July 6 2011, 12:36:25 AM
Yeah, seeing death inures you to further death. Although the final level of that trait apparently has some negative connotations, since it makes the dwarf totally not care about death or killing at ALL. Great for the anti-tantrum squad.

Another possible reason for those novices flipping the fuck out would be friendships. Dwarves flip out when their friends and family die, and dwarves who idle a lot get more friends and larger families. if you recruited those novices from among a pool of long-term idlers, they're more likely to all be friends with each other - and that's the worst possible setup.

I try to recruit soldiers from among new migrant waves, making sure they're not married, and keep them training 24/7. Soldiers can't be allowed to idle at all - with other soldiers or with non-soldiers, because friendship is BAD.

lubica
July 6 2011, 07:34:57 AM
Yeah, seeing death inures you to further death. Although the final level of that trait apparently has some negative connotations, since it makes the dwarf totally not care about death or killing at ALL. Great for the anti-tantrum squad.

Another possible reason for those novices flipping the fuck out would be friendships. Dwarves flip out when their friends and family die, and dwarves who idle a lot get more friends and larger families. if you recruited those novices from among a pool of long-term idlers, they're more likely to all be friends with each other - and that's the worst possible setup.

I try to recruit soldiers from among new migrant waves, making sure they're not married, and keep them training 24/7. Soldiers can't be allowed to idle at all - with other soldiers or with non-soldiers, because friendship is BAD.

Another worthy criterium is gender. Female dorfs in the army, carrying their baby around as a shield is also a good way to make at least 2 dorfs very unhappy.

Bentguru
July 6 2011, 07:36:39 PM
Journal of Elder Urvad Sashasfath, Holy Warrior of Thatthilshorast and High Priest of Onshen Eelhog the Cyclopean Juices

1st Slate, Mid Spring, 104.

It has been a month since my impassioned speech in the mess hall that led to the other dwarfs kneeling in prayer to Onshen Eelhog and his Annointed One. Since then the days have been busy and my tasks heavy.

Since ordering us closed off from the outside world I have begun several programs for the glory of his juicy wisdom. The military has been reorganized into 3 squads of 4, and I have fixed the mind-boggling ineptitude that has plagued our quartermaster thus far. (seriously, I can't wear greaves AND meal legging the same time, how the hell am I supposed to move. Also, there's the small matter of not assigning any weapon or sheild. Truely we must have offended the One-Eyed Wisdom in the past for he has plagued us with much sorrow).

I have also drafted several new miners and ordered them to begin excavating our new Labyrinth. One of our useless craftdwarfs, who lack of piety and secular nature has doubtless contributed to our woes, to begin building mechanisms until I tell him to stop. In order to make the labyrinth worthy of our god there will need to be MANY MANY mechanisms made.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4650/df2m.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/df2m.jpg/)
(FYI, this isn't the entire complex, I couldn't fit it in the entire page. Also I might extend it some more if I have enough time. Doubtful I'll even get it all done tbh)

4th Slate, Mid Spring, 104.

I have been plagued with nightmares of late, visions of a horrible creature beyond imagining stalking the caverns that lie beneath our fortress. I believe it is a vision from His Magnificent Lack Of Depth Perception of what horrors we shall face should we enter the caverns. Obviously we will not be doing so soon.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6057/df1s.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/df1s.png/)

Also it has been brought to my attention by many dwarfs that the constant ghosts haunting the halls, frequently nearby the ghost's body's partially decomposed body just sitting in the hall (or in every hospital bed we have), need to be taken care of. I shall draft another godless secular unholy dwarf to accomplish this macabre task.

8th Slate, Mid Spring, 104.

I have now run through the job que with our (now former) manager Ustuth Asheshshak. After removing half the jobs on the list for being retarded and/or nonsensical I have added orders for 15 steel shields (because we have none) and many steel war hammers (because we have none). Ustuth was then conscripted into the military where I will make a useful dwarf of him I swear to JUICYFRUIT I WILL.

21st Felsite, Late-Spring, 104

Olon, our soapmaker, burst into my room at 5 AM today screaming that he had been given a vision by his Watery Salvation, then burst out again screaming something about materials, how he must have materials!

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5166/df3p.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/df3p.png/)

I do not intend to demean his obvious faith in our god, but I cannot understand what His Salvatory Wonder could want with a bloody soapmaker. Maybe he intends to make a new kind of moisturizing soap? Hmmmm....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mk, so made it into summer. The fort is a complete and utter mess, there are corpses and ghosts everywhere, finished goods everywhere (WE HAVE NO BINS, WTF PEOPLE), apparently our entire military leadership was wiped out so I had to rebuild all the squads, which was good because apparently we've been arming people with steel picks (We have already made over 30 steel picks, and there were orders for 20 more, wtf).

Also, some idiot trapped a male and female rabbit so now the fort is overrun with the fucking things. Wait, it gets better. Apparently they're starving because they are stuck inside, but they seem to be reproducing fast enough to offset the death. So we have a shitton of baby rabbits presumably eating the emaciated remains of their parents, then reproducing themselves and continuing the cycle. Basically, fuck thermodynamics, THIS IS DORF FORT

Zavior
July 6 2011, 08:14:59 PM
J which was good because apparently we've been arming people with steel picks (We have already made over 30 steel picks, and there were orders for 20 more, wtf).

DF wiki about picks: 'Recent weapon research indicates that picks are brutally efficient weapons, combining slashing and impaling. Since a steel pick can penetrate most armor, picks are effective weapons against any foe, armored, forgotten or otherwise. '
I'm pretty sure they were part of the uniform before my turn I think.

also the labyrinth looks cool :obama:

Bentguru
July 6 2011, 08:20:20 PM
DF wiki about picks: 'Recent weapon research indicates that picks are brutally efficient weapons, combining slashing and impaling. Since a steel pick can penetrate most armor, picks are effective weapons against any foe, armored, forgotten or otherwise. '
I'm pretty sure they were part of the uniform before my turn I think.

also the labyrinth looks cool :obama:
lolwut. screw that. real dorfs use hammers or axes.
also, I have come up with an awesome and hilarious weapon that could cure all of our current siege problems. it is guarenteed to backfire tho, so that means i am definitely doing it

lubica
July 6 2011, 09:12:30 PM
I hope you faggets are not writing too many notes about your projects and what each lever does, coz once it's my turn, I'M GONNA PULL ALL OF EM

Bentguru
July 6 2011, 11:02:25 PM
I hope you faggets are not writing too many notes about your projects and what each lever does, coz once it's my turn, I'M GONNA PULL ALL OF EM

There will be very few levers for TEH LABYRINTH. I'll probably put some up to reset retracted bridges (over lava pits) and stuff. Virtually every trap or component will be activated by a pressure plate, and said plate will probably be connected to more than one trap/component. The idea is just abject and total chaos, I have no idea what it will do if goblins actually get into it. They might block it all up, in which case somebody would need to EXPAND TEH LABYRINTH and put in a new entrance.

Bentguru
July 7 2011, 12:01:32 AM

13th Malachite, Mid-Summer, 104.

Well, after a month or so of frenzied screaming about more materials!!! Olon finally cracked and started trying to kill people.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5861/df4.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/df4.png/)

I confess, it was only then I realized that Olon was part of one of our military squads, and so in dutiful fashion he was wearing dwarven made steel armor with a copper sheild. (aside: opps, didn't think of that, maybe I should have paid more attention to him...)

Goden Avuzilon and Bim Limulraz charged Olon shouting for him to stop. Goden, being a more experienced fighter attempted to bring Olon down alive my beating him with his sheild. Bim just started hacking away with his steel battle axe showing no regard whatsoever to his fellow dwarf. Unfortunately Olon's armor deflected all the attacks and Olon gave a roar and started beating back with his sheild!
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6053/df5s.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/df5s.png/)
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7687/df6p.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/df6p.png/)

The clangs of battle ran down the hallway as the three dwarves fought, Then Bim, tired of fruitlessly hacking at Olon, punched him in his arm so hard that not only did Olon drop his sheild but his helm flew off! Bim then skillfully decapitated Olon with his axe.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2821/df7.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/df7.png/)

18th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn, 104.

The nightmares grow worse, now I am having visions of a undulating blob of mid.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5055/df8.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/df8.png/)

Going into the caverns is clearly suicidal

24th Moonstone, Early Winter, 104.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/2411/df9.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/df9.png/)

The Great Slushy Exaltedness sent me a vision of new converts arriving at our holy realm! In his grace he sent away the unholy tigermen so that the new converts could arrive safely! I immediately ordered the wall blocking off the outside world torn down. 7 new dwarves arrive at our fort. Two arrive with some military skills and are immediately conscripted into the army.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And spring has arrived. Fort is on the road to recovery, military still needs a lot of training up in order to be effective. The Labyrinth has been completely mined out, so it's up to my successor to fill it with lol amounts of traps, retractable bridges over lava, pressure plates that seal invaders in a corridor and then fill that corridor with water and drown them, etc etc.

Save is here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P1QAC8W6

Lex Fasces
July 7 2011, 10:16:31 PM
this has definately become a good thread =)

lubica
July 7 2011, 11:11:54 PM
My computer has imploded, I'll try and get DF running acceptably on my laptop, will check back in a few hours, if not then pass it to the next person.

FUCKING COMPUTERS HOW DO THEY WORK.

fuuuu that puts only Logan between my turn, and I'll be gone until the 17th, sort your shit out :)

Lana Torrin
July 8 2011, 05:33:50 AM
This thread has started me reading other peoples Succession Fortress threads.. I don't even play this game and im totally hooked. (If it wasn't so butt ugly I'd probably play some.. Or if I could get it to work in linux in a frame buffer so i can SSH to it and play from work like I used to with nethack)

Nax
July 8 2011, 07:21:46 AM
(If it wasn't so butt ugly I'd probably play some.. Or if I could get it to work in linux in a frame buffer so i can SSH to it and play from work like I used to with nethack)
There's a linux dwarf fortress download at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

No clue about the frame buffer stuff though.

Note that if you're learning Dwarf Fortress (and you will be for a while) then you will need a web browser constantly open to the wiki and preferably access to video tutorials on youtube too.

The interface is obscure enough that you really need these out of game resources. The in-game error messages are often uninformative and the in-game help sometimes exists but often gives you no useful information on a topic.

Once you're moderately successful having a second application like Dwarf Therapist up so that you can actually see what the fuck your dwarves are doing and can configure them without your hands dropping off from RSI is pretty nice. I think Dwarf Therapist is windows only, no clue if you can wrangle that or an alternative on linux.

lubica
July 8 2011, 07:24:01 AM
there are tileset modifications for prettier graphics, or you could use Stonesense, which is a 3d visualizer.

And besides, it's about the gameplay, not the shiny graphics :)

Also, solo DF is only fun for so long while you're learning the game. In advanced stages you really need to think up some impossible tasks to hilariously fail at, or join a succession game. Besides, these latest versions of DF are relatively low on bugs. Used to be quite fun about a year ago, when military barely worked, hospitals sucked and carp would follow you home from the river and kill your kids. Oh and some of the things that crawled up from under the earth were properly unkillable. You had to either collapse the ceiling on them or drop a drawbridge on their head (see Quantum smasher).

Loganbacca
July 8 2011, 09:25:34 AM
I think Dwarf Therapist is windows only, no clue if you can wrangle that or an alternative on linux.
Yes you can get Therapist on Linux, or could half a year ago when I played it on Linux at least, you may have to compile it yourself though. If your playing DF though that shouldn't be to much more of a technical step up.

these latest versions of DF are relatively low on bugs. Used to be quite fun about a year ago, when military barely worked, hospitals sucked and carp would follow you home from the river and kill your kids. Oh and some of the things that crawled up from under the earth were properly unkillable. You had to either collapse the ceiling on them or drop a drawbridge on their head (see Quantum smasher).
Or feet melting off in the rain.

Let me know what your going to do Xenosis, if you can't get DF going we could always swap weeks?

Zavior
July 8 2011, 12:30:47 PM
I hear the badgers are the new carp from 40d. havent met any yet but the nightmares from the carp..

http://df.magmawiki.com/images/1/1a/Carp_escape.jpg

Lex Fasces
July 8 2011, 01:09:05 PM
keep it up!

Cue1*
July 10 2011, 06:07:20 AM
I have fixed the mind-boggling ineptitude that has plagued our quartermaster thus far. (seriously, I can't wear greaves AND meal legging the same time, how the hell am I supposed to move.).

I'd like to point out you're retarded, as dwarves can wear multiple layers of armor. For example a single dwarf can wear a breastplate, three chainmail shirts and SIX cloaks.

Tellenta
July 10 2011, 12:56:43 PM
I'd like to point out you're retarded, as dwarves can wear multiple layers of armor. For example a single dwarf can wear a breastplate, three chainmail shirts and SIX cloaks.

I tried to search google images for a cartoon image of a kid wearing to many layers of clothing and all I got was barely dressed hentai schoolgirls.

Zavior
July 11 2011, 12:50:06 AM
uppppdatessssss

Bentguru
July 11 2011, 03:30:17 AM

I'd like to point out you're retarded, as while dwarves can wear multiple layers of armor they can not wear multiple layers of shaped armor. A breastplate is shaped armor, chainmail shirts and cloaks are not, so yes a dwarf can wear a breastplate and as many chainmail shirts or cloaks as he/she wants. They cannot however wear 2 breastplates simultaneously.

Likewise, leggings AND greaves are both classified as shaped armor and cannot be worn simultaneously. So assigning both is pants on heads retarded not only because you're wasting steel making bits of armor that will never be used, but also some of your dwarves are now less armored then they would be otherwise cause leggings suck.

In conclusion, I prodorf, you not, shut it.

Kalil
July 11 2011, 03:42:36 AM
Maybe take this asshattery to the other thread?

This Logan's turn now or is he still waiting on Xen?

Lana Torrin
July 11 2011, 04:47:47 AM
Maybe take this asshattery to the other thread?

Needs update from prodorfers! (Mine just all died of hunger or wildlife attack sitting next to a mountain while I tried to work out how to get one of them to actually mine... So bad at this game)

Loganbacca
July 11 2011, 07:27:00 AM
Waiting on Xen

Bentguru
July 11 2011, 04:58:55 PM
Loganbacca GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO

Loganbacca
July 12 2011, 10:01:27 AM
Onto it now.

Lets see if being overly tired results in epic failing at prodorfing.

Tellenta
July 12 2011, 02:50:00 PM
Onto it now.

Lets see if being overly tired results in epic failing at prodorfing.

One can only hope.

Melichor
July 14 2011, 03:47:43 AM
Bumping this back to page one, so its easier for me to get my Dorf reading on

Loganbacca
July 14 2011, 10:55:27 AM
1st Granite
By Armok, this fortress is surrounded by no fewer than 50 freakish wingless birds. Whatever did this fortress do to bring down the wrath of the underworld upon it?

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4462/beakwolfhunter.jpg

At least this fortress is built on the side of a volcano, perhaps we can build a sacrificial altar above it and send some of these creatures back... via dwarven ingenuity express.

No sooner had I scrambled over the wall did a mad dwarf run past babbling, while swinging an axe and removing items of clothing. As disturbing as this introduction was, one of the nearby dwarves informed me he was - thankfully - harmless.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2290/ravingmad.jpg

24th Granite
I have grown tired of the cries of those terrible birds outside, so I have roused the troops and opened the doors. After all we are armoured dwarves with steel battle axes, what can mere unarmoured flesh and beaks do to us.

26th Granite
Even while the cries of dying birds echo through the halls I notice a dwarf scamper off in the direction of a workshop, she better produce something great, although past experience has taught me these great inspired creations are not always that great. One man's trash is another mans treasure and all that...

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2311/mood.jpg

27th Granite
Victory! What's left of the bird forces are in retreat, I bet they wish they had wings to fly away now. Mutilated bird parts litter the halls, no less than 40 of the vile creatures were slaughtered, with only minor scrapes and bruises for our warriors.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/808/messg.jpg

17th Slate
Cerol very proudly paraded her new creation around today... a mussel shell helm.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/596/shellhat.jpg

It's not as brilliant as say, a -silver battle axe-, but it's not bad for a craftdwarf.

XenosisReaper
July 14 2011, 11:11:25 AM
Remember the might of the -silver battle axe-

sad that I can't find the thread with it from SHC, that was an awesome fort.

Melichor
July 15 2011, 02:12:42 AM
Hooray updates :D

Lana Torrin
July 15 2011, 02:26:53 AM
What tileset is that and where do i get it?

Cue1*
July 15 2011, 04:09:00 AM
What tileset is that and where do i get it?
I answered that not 5 pages back.

Phoebus' Graphic Set (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52186.0)

Loganbacca
July 15 2011, 11:39:32 AM
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6940/darknesso.jpg

6th Felsite
While construction of our sacrificial altar to the volcano is well underway, a force of frogmen (and women) have snuck up on us. While they are relatively unarmoured (so killing them should not be a problem), they are armed with spears and maces, so we may suffer some injuries from this assault, only time will tell.

18th Felsite
We managed to get everyone inside in time. Unfortunately there are now three seperate invading forces, the Frogmen, the Tigermen and the Goblins... 112 enemy troops in total, not to mention eight war Jaguars, four Trolls, and thirty two Camels and Giant Badger Boars which the Frogmen are riding. For now the entrance has been sealed and construction of the trap labyrinth has been restarted.

Short update tonight, not a lot has happened to report since last time but figured a short update was better than none.

Did we decide if walling off is ok? If not the fortress will most likely be decimated with the numbers against us, we only have 33 dwarves in the fort after all, and of those we have about 12 semi-trained militia. Technically we're only walled off to ground troops as flying enemies could get in.

XenosisReaper
July 15 2011, 11:44:15 AM
Giant Badger Boars :ohnoes:

Jurskjeld
July 15 2011, 06:07:39 PM
Hahah holy fuck! Badger boars, I say. The fact that they are Giant means there must somewhere be normal-sized badger boars.

If you guys keep this fortress alive, perhaps I'll enter at some point and resume my tradition of wrapping up games that nobody else wants to play out - because of the certainty of the fort's doom.

Poem
July 15 2011, 09:19:21 PM
I'm digging the labyrinth. How about next game we run defence mod again, but each person adds in their own layer of a larger version of the labyrinth per year turn? Thus allowing us many lols in the form of ingenious methods of killing the invaders, and a better chance of not just dieing or being walled in all the time (as traps, magma etc would be allowed or even encouraged). Could have a stairway style entrance at the front allowing restrictable access to each turns area, etc.

Loganbacca
July 17 2011, 07:38:46 PM
Gotta go to work now, but I'll get an update (and hopefully most of the rest of my year) out this evening.

One good thing to report is I found the setting to un-cap the fps, so it can now run like 3x as fast. The FPS counter is reporting 30,000 fps, but I don't trust it, because I can't imagine you'd be able to see the dorfs moving at that speed.

Loganbacca
July 18 2011, 08:08:48 AM
The mountainhomes want to make our fortress a barony, yay or nay?

Also I believe this happened last time during my turn.

XenosisReaper
July 18 2011, 08:17:48 AM
The mountainhomes want to make our fortress a barony, yay or nay?

Also I believe this happened last time during my turn.

Doesn't the baron turn up with some other dorfs? That could be useful if we need to replace the meatshields, however getting them inside the fort may be a problem if you're sieged to fuck and back.

Dirk
July 18 2011, 08:19:39 AM
Current way of things is that you nominate your own dwarf to take on the job, they don't send one

Loganbacca
July 18 2011, 08:23:41 AM
Confirming it's the second, nominated from inside, therefore making that dorf mostly useless, and we've only got 32 of them. Also, currently not under siege \o/

Loganbacca
July 18 2011, 11:11:56 AM
10th Malachite
Yet another dwarf was taken by a mood, a child this time no less, Ingiz Morulzoluth. Ingiz made a tetrahedrite earring, it's not fantastic, but it is shiny, so I aprove. I suspect that if this child survives and grows up she shall become a legendary stonecrafter.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1041/earing.jpg

15th Malachite
There are rumors of yet another beast crawling the depths, this time of an enormous creature made of salt, perhaps we can melt it with water if it is real?

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8508/beastk.jpg

11th Galena
The Beak Wolf Hunters have returned to harass us, along with the rest of the seiging forces, the fortress shall remain sealed for now.

16th Sandstone
After hearing reports that the original sieging forces had given up and gone home, I have opened the gates. We have defeated these creatures before and we can do it again.

18th Sandstone
The birds have reached the gate, our warriors stand at the ready.

20th Sandstone
The dust has settled, the batle is won, the birds succumed to the might of our dwarven metalworking, dismembered bird parts litter the entrance.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2171/battley.jpg

We unfortunately took a single loss, Dumed, one of our axe dwarves. He was a brave warrior, but unfortunately was brutally shaken to death by one of the birds. Kib, another of our dwarves, nearly suffered the same fate. She was also picked up and shaken violently by one of the birds, luckily she survived and is recovering well, and not to mention has nineteen kills to her name. Aside from those two the rest got away with minor injuries and some more battlefield experience.

12th Timber
At long last the dwarven caravan has been sighted, I have quickly made arrangements for a golden trade depot to be built to welcome them.

24th timber
After a long discussion with the outpost liaison from the mountainhomes, he has decided to make our fortress a barony of Roderineth, our glorious civilization!

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6660/barony.jpg

Not sure if I'll be done tomorrow or not, if not then definitely on Wednesday, only got a couple of months left.

Zavior
July 18 2011, 01:38:47 PM
19 kills? Has she named the weapon yet?

XenosisReaper
July 18 2011, 02:12:32 PM
Are danger rooms banned?

Bentguru
July 18 2011, 02:13:02 PM
needs more Juice imo.

Unless the sacrificial altar is dedicated to his Salivaness, in which case your doing great.

XenosisReaper
July 18 2011, 09:58:28 PM
... the fortress is located literally INSIDE a volcano and we don't even have a magma death trap yet? for shame FHC for shame.

Lex Fasces
July 18 2011, 10:03:05 PM
... the fortress is located literally INSIDE a volcano and we don't even have a magma death trap yet? for shame FHC for shame.

can someone upload the world or the original save?

Zavior
July 18 2011, 10:41:46 PM
First post of the thread

Lex Fasces
July 18 2011, 11:22:34 PM
First post of the thread

derp

Bentguru
July 19 2011, 12:18:27 AM

We have a magma death trap, have had it for a while. It's just not a very effective magma death trap.

I toyed with the idea of just digging a vent through the mountain and flooding the world with magma, but concluded that it would simply take too long.

Zavior
July 19 2011, 12:38:02 AM
Our magma trap tended to crash DF during my turn so I just ended up not using it really

rojomojo915
July 20 2011, 12:22:51 PM
Where are ze updates?

Lex Fasces
July 20 2011, 04:00:46 PM
Where are ze updates?

this man speaks the truth

Loganbacca
July 21 2011, 08:13:37 AM
Oops, just watched the fortress get slaughtered in the last 10 days of my turn. 40 Tigermen went on a rampage leaving 6 dorfs alive, who are now being hunted down by a goblin ambush (3 left, 1 who is mortally wounded and is being attacked for the past 2 weeks).

To give you an idea of the carnage (before the slaughter):
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8040/carnagen.jpg
Yes that's all blood. Mostly Beak wolf hunter and Tigerman, all the dwarf blood is inside.

Should I roll back and re-do the last month? Otherwise the fortress is dead, and was in pretty good condition before I stuffed up the siege.

Lana Torrin
July 21 2011, 08:34:15 AM
Oops, just watched the fortress get slaughtered in the last 10 days of my turn. 40 Tigermen went on a rampage leaving 6 dorfs alive, who are now being hunted down by a goblin ambush (3 left, 1 who is mortally wounded and is being attacked for the past 2 weeks).

Yes that's all blood. Mostly Beak wolf hunter and Tigerman, all the dwarf blood is inside.

Should I roll back and re-do the last month? Otherwise the fortress is dead, and was in pretty good condition before I stuffed up the siege.
OMG those look like massive blood smears WHAT DID YOU DO!!!!!

(Yes roll back and give someone else a chance)

Loganbacca
July 21 2011, 12:47:12 PM
13th Moonstone
Despite rushing to get some goods to the new trade depot the merchants left before our lazy broker got there, not to mention no one else decided to fill in dispite offering the position to everyone.

21st Moonstone
Some migrants arrived today, no real skills of note, clearly we must be doing something right to attract them though.

12th Obsidian
A siege! The filthy goblins have decided to take our land, they will burn for even setting foot on it.

15th Obsidian
To think things were bad enough, a pack of Beak wolf hunters are back, surely they must be running low on minions to send considering the amount we have slaughtered.

18th Obsidian
A squad of Trolls that came with the goblins has foolishly decided to rest in the (walled off) fortress entrance... directly under a magma vent!

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6425/trollburn.jpg

28th Obsidian
Well, my time managing this fortress has come to an end. It is largely in tact and the food and alchohol supply is steady at around 400-500 units, with all the raw materials coming from within the fortress.
The sacrificial altar to the volcano is mostly complete, aside from smothing and engraving it. It also has not been used yet, so I would advise my successor to build a few cage traps.
The fortress has not been developed much further, aside from the new noble rooms for the Baron, but it has been cleaned up and all dwarves have been laid to rest.
The first traps have been laid in the labyrinth including several serated disc traps and some retracting vertical spike traps which are linked to the lever in the middle of the cemetary/meeting hall. I have produced a few more serated discs, giant axe blades, spiked balls and menacing spikes for my succesor to start filling the labyrinth with. They are only made of iron unfortunately as we ran out of steel and the coal needed to produce steel, and I wasn't prepared to sacrifice our limited wood stocks just yet. Regardless, menacing iron spikes should punch straight through most creatures armoured or not.
Our military forces are fully armed, although some are wielding copper or iron shields and the hammerdwarves could really do with some silver warhammers if some silver is to be found. They have also had their training schedules readjusted although once they are a little more skilled they could be reduced to a 1 month training, 2 months off schedule to keep them happy. They could also do with a couple more dwarves in each squad.
The fortress is currently sealed against forces attacking from the ground or the caves, however airborn attackers will be able to get over the walls and into the fortress quite easily.

I leave you with this final sketch of the main center of the fortress as it currently is:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9513/fortresse.jpg

To the North is the workshops.
To the East is one of the entrances and several goblins running away from the lava flow created by burning the Trolls (at least 1 gobo was caught by the lava).
To the South is the main cemetary and meeting area, why these are in the same cavern I have no idea.
To the West is the store rooms.
In the center is the hospital, now complete with traction bench and operating table.

Here's the save, next person in line gogogo:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jwqk544auluhe41

I'll explain the blood splatter image tomorrow.

Lex Fasces
July 21 2011, 07:13:57 PM
what are those pits next to the meeting place?

XenosisReaper
July 21 2011, 07:39:09 PM
what are those pits next to the meeting place?

I was wondering that, the room appears to be the only one with (locked?) doors so I'm assuming it's the cavern or labyrinth entrance

Cue1*
July 21 2011, 10:04:05 PM
I built it. I never finished it, but it was supposed to be baths. No one finished them. If you make pools of water and put soap around it dwarves will use it to clean themselves.

XenosisReaper
July 22 2011, 08:14:33 PM
I built it. I never finished it, but it was supposed to be baths. No one finished them. If you make pools of water and put soap around it dwarves will use it to clean themselves.

I always wondered why my wells became surrounded by dropped soap...

Cue1*
July 23 2011, 05:08:02 AM

Yup, that's the reason. If you make a cleaning area like that they'll stop using the well and start using the baths.

Melichor
July 23 2011, 06:07:32 AM

Its a trap!

lubica
July 23 2011, 10:37:03 AM
ohshit, I'm next after Xeno, better get this mod up and working :ohnoes:

Loganbacca
July 23 2011, 12:53:39 PM
ohshit, I'm next after Xeno, better get this mod up and working :ohnoes:
No, your up now... current saves further up, gogogo

Just download the game + mod in the first post of the thread.

lubica
July 23 2011, 01:01:16 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh fuck.

Right, I'll get to playing tonight after my folks fuck-off on their vacation. Since I want to do a proper roleplaying writeup with lots of pics, I can't promise updates any sooner than tuesday. Bear with me, I hope I'll make it worth the wait.

XenosisReaper
July 23 2011, 01:44:47 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh fuck.

Right, I'll get to playing tonight after my folks fuck-off on their vacation. Since I want to do a proper roleplaying writeup with lots of pics, I can't promise updates any sooner than tuesday. Bear with me, I hope I'll make it worth the wait.

GOGOGOGOGOGO

lubica
July 24 2011, 12:42:10 PM
I've just loaded up the save, and holy shit, what have I gotten myself into /o\

40 dorfs versus 206 goblins, tigermen and other crap and 1 FB.

fuck me.

lubica
July 24 2011, 05:27:07 PM
Whats this? A letter from the King? For me? What the... this doesn't bode well. Let's see... By Arnok's will and the powers of blablabla... take command.... yada yada... Autumnwire (doesn't sound too bad)... leave forthwith. Well crap. Seems someones screwed the mandrill again and I'm being sent to clean the mess up. I'd better get another beer.

1st Granite

Finally I've arrived to the volcanic dwarven outpost of Autumnwire and just as soon as my escorts left (quite in a hurry, mind you) I set about to finding the entrance to this wretched place. Mother of Arnok! Theres a legion of goblins, tigermen and beak wolves loitering about the volcano and there is magma leaking out of the mountain where the entrance should be!

By pure luck I've managed to avoid the pools of lava, dodge the goblins and reach the walls. I nearly beat my arms to bloody stumps on the walls as I desperately try to get the attention of someone inside. Luckily, I am heard and a stone is carefully pried loose next to my feet. I furiously scramble through the opening and I barely get my feet out of the way, as a mason already gets to work on sealing the opening. Phew!

http://onebit.us/images/1stgraniteoutside.bmp

So, this is Autumnwire. There isn't as much blood on the inside as I'd half-expected from the scenes on the outside. Promising. At least someone had the wit to seal this place off, though I wonder how this place will get any migrants inside like this.

I grab the nearest passing dwarf and yell at him to bring me the map to this place and a list of all the stocks, supplies and personell. Taking a quick stroll around, I can hear running water, and judging by the look of those furnaces, I'd say they're powered by the volcano, so I guess the previous overseers had some sense of engineering, tapping the natural resources. The place seems to be decently stocked with food and booze, and is also a barony, but with only 40 dwarfes? This is a serious problem that will have to be resolved soon. Right after we make the outside safe again.

http://onebit.us/images/1stgranitestatus.bmp

Granite, Slate ongoing

The maps show a labirynth of sorts that was ordered to be dug out by one of my predecessors, obviously intended as a secondary entrance to the fortress, but only for the most select guests naturally. I have ordered the hallways to be filled with flowers and ribbons... erm, spikes and weapon traps, though I feel the overall design to be somewhat lacking and should in the future utilize magma to the furthest extent possible. The whole design is rather large and will require more trap components and time.

15th Slate

I was just about to talk to the mayor regarding rumours of his suspicious activities with backpacks, Mermen and cheese, as well as sterling silver embargoes, when the dwarf himself runs past me, looking like he just ate something very spicy and muttering something to himself about basalt and musical instruments for some strange reason. This had better be good, as we also have to discuss stocks of ore, coal, kitten soap and wood among other things.

http://onebit.us/images/15thslatefeymood.bmp

25th Slate

While I was making sure the production of kitten soap was in full swing, a dwarf runs up yelling excitedly, babbling about music and entertainment and mayors. After resting in a chokehold for a few minutes, the fellow calms down enough to mention that the useless bag of swamp gas calling itself the mayor has finally freed up the crafts workshop.

http://onebit.us/images/25thslategraniteflut.bmp

Hm, it seems those backpacks weigh heavily on his mind and no doubt the flute is some sort of secret instrument of Mermen destruction, but until I have further proof of his treachery, I'd better stay silent. Nevertheless, I manage to talk to him about our wood stocks and the need for further exploratory mining.

We will open up the caverns.

Bentguru
July 24 2011, 06:54:19 PM
We will open up the caverns.

This will end well I think.

Also, who opened up the volcano?

Wrack
July 24 2011, 07:07:58 PM
Just a heads up, I'm moving and will be without a computer from Tuesday until at least next Monday. So it may be good to move me after Nicho Void.

Loganbacca
July 25 2011, 06:11:59 AM
Nice write up.

Also, who opened up the volcano?
Technically the volcano isn't opened up, I just got creative with the magma death trap. The very end vent is above the "outside" section of the walled off entrance, so opening that vent results in lava flowing outside.

Also, as far as my earlier "blood smear" screenshot goes, that involved our dwarven military storming out and tearing first a beak wolf squad apart, and then a tigerman squad apart. The blood smears are from tigermen dragging themselves off the battlefield. Unfortunately just after that happened about 40 more tigermen descended on our already tired dwarves and proceeded to kill them all, before moving inside to kill most of the dwarves there.

Zavior
July 25 2011, 06:32:17 AM
our fort has tendency to send half trained dorfs out to show the world why sending half trained dwarves out is bad idea, but yet awesome at the same time

XenosisReaper
July 25 2011, 01:07:15 PM
I'm assuming that you have enough bone/iron to make bolts, grab a few dorfs and get them training as marksdwarves? even half trained shooters behind fortifications should be able to perforate hostiles?

Narmio
July 26 2011, 12:59:34 AM
I'm assuming that you have enough bone/iron to make bolts, grab a few dorfs and get them training as marksdwarves? even half trained shooters behind fortifications should be able to perforate hostiles?
Are shooters working again? Last time I was playing seriously (a few versions ago) they would run out of ammo, fail to reload even when stationed right on top of a full stockpile, then run down the stairs, out of their towers and go Leeroy Jenkins some goblins using their crossbow as a club.

Lana Torrin
July 26 2011, 01:28:28 AM
Are shooters working again? Last time I was playing seriously (a few versions ago) they would run out of ammo, fail to reload even when stationed right on top of a full stockpile, then run down the stairs, out of their towers and go Leeroy Jenkins some goblins using their crossbow as a club.

Sounds very dwarf like to me. Axes! GIVE THEM AXES!!!!!

Cue1*
July 26 2011, 03:34:38 AM
They've been fairly fixed now, some issues still, but mostly minor. One being that they refuse to use bone bolts to shoot enemies.

XenosisReaper
July 26 2011, 09:01:38 AM
They've been fairly fixed now, some issues still, but mostly minor. One being that they refuse to use bone bolts to shoot enemies.

That would explain why I have -thousands- of bone bolts in my stockpiles. But yeh, most of the shooter bugs have been worked out, they seem to train incredibly slowly though, I normally used hunter migrants because they started with pretty good skills.