PDA

View Full Version : Is this forum really needed any more?

Ralara
March 22 2014, 03:00:03 PM
Three of the top 5 posted threads are from last year. Does anyone even bother with it?

Just integrate it back in general tbh.

Keorythe
March 23 2014, 01:43:45 AM
There's no real enforcement anymore. Technically the Austerity and 1984 threads should be up here but it's more entertaining to watch people meltdown.

Synapse
March 23 2014, 04:19:05 AM
I'm a huge fan of this section and very sad to see it's decline. I liked having a place where people posted their actual opinions with as little trolling as possible.

One fan does not a community make, though.

TheManFromDelmonte
March 23 2014, 12:14:03 PM
I'm a huge fan of this section and very sad to see it's decline. I liked having a place where people posted their actual opinions with as little trolling as possible.

One fan does not a community make, though.

What would people as enlightened as ourselves have to argue about?

metacannibal
March 23 2014, 12:37:52 PM
I think an issue with the forum seems to be the opt in mechanism, many people can just not access it. I noticed alot of space non game related posting spread across the forum, so generally my impression was this was a topic of interest. When you notice people dont pick up on topics they seem to have interest in, I believe access may be a reason why acceptance is low.
Maybe it can be rekindled with removing the opt in access rules and just making it a forum with stronger moderation plus a system where trolling will get to access removal.
I like the fact that we have a section where russianpropaganda, lolcats and anime are less frequent, after all most people in the forum age +1 annually, so topics beyond 12yr old interests become more relevant over time.

Ralara
March 23 2014, 03:49:44 PM
I think an issue with the forum seems to be the opt in mechanism, many people can just not access it. I noticed alot of space non game related posting spread across the forum, so generally my impression was this was a topic of interest. When you notice people dont pick up on topics they seem to have interest in, I believe access may be a reason why acceptance is low.
Maybe it can be rekindled with removing the opt in access rules and just making it a forum with stronger moderation plus a system where trolling will get to access removal.
I like the fact that we have a section where russianpropaganda, lolcats and anime are less frequent, after all most people in the forum age +1 annually, so topics beyond 12yr old interests become more relevant over time.

So make it a group by default, then, and be removed from the group if you screw up?

That'd be fine with me (not that my opinion matters lol).

Ophichius
March 24 2014, 01:34:18 AM

So make it a group by default, then, and be removed from the group if you screw up?

That'd be fine with me (not that my opinion matters lol).

That was a suggestion when the subforum was first created, IIRC Sofia nixed it because it was 'too much work'.

-O

Andrea Griffin
March 24 2014, 03:07:05 AM
A lot of threads would be better off here. The Crimea thread, for example.

Any rules about having such a thread here for the non-douchebags and leave the other one active for wanking over who has the more hipster artillery?

Ophichius
March 24 2014, 05:14:43 AM

Any rules about having such a thread here for the non-douchebags and leave the other one active for wanking over who has the more hipster artillery?

Not as far as I know. Then again I'm not sure we even have a mod here anymore. Go ahead and post it, worst case nobody shows up for it, best case we get an information-dense version of the Ukraine thread.

-O

RazoR
March 24 2014, 05:17:58 AM

Not as far as I know. Then again I'm not sure we even have a mod here anymore. Go ahead and post it, worst case nobody shows up for it, best case we get an information-dense version of the Ukraine thread.

-O

+1

-R

Hast
March 24 2014, 09:23:35 AM
I can mod it but I don't think I can remove people (or add).

Besides, I don't have the time available to give this forum the love it would require.

RazoR
March 24 2014, 02:05:08 PM
I can mod it but I don't think I can remove people (or add).

Besides, I don't have the time available to give this forum the opression it would require.fyp

GiDiYi
March 24 2014, 02:10:09 PM
Besides, I don't have the time available to give this forum the love it would require.

Besides, I don't have the time available to give this forum the opression it would require.fyp

Replacing one word with a synonym is not fixing a post in my book.

On topic: It's a bit dusty in here. Besides: Does Soffl still handle the invites at all? I haven't seen him in a while.

Andrea Griffin
March 24 2014, 02:51:35 PM
I think the "initially open to everyone, but remove the idiots" concept would work well and would require the least amount of work for our loyal Forum Overlords. As long as there's a pretty short and clear set of rules for people to follow there shouldn't be much drama when someone does get removed from the group.

I'd be happy to act as a moderator in conjunction with a few others if we need another body doing that work, just let me know.

RazoR
March 24 2014, 03:16:41 PM
I think the "initially open to everyone, but remove the idiots"Did you forget which forum you are on?

Andrea Griffin
March 24 2014, 05:14:02 PM
I think the "initially open to everyone, but remove the idiots"Did you forget which forum you are on?Nope, but people seem to be able to more or less follow the rules in other sections of the forum (Recruitment, Marketplace, etc.). I know that people here like to claim that everyone is an obnoxious aspie prick, but strangely they seem to be able to behave when it's part of the rules. Most people here aren't as retarded as they let on.

Keorythe
March 25 2014, 12:51:39 AM
People have been flagged and removed from this forum section in the past for douchebaggery. So it's not like it can't be done.

The issue is the lack of content. The topics here were either moved or posted by someone and they snowballed. But there was a LOT less weight given to emotional pleas and more paid to information with studies or some peer review items. The gun thread was probably 3x as long as it should have been but that's only because we often had to rehash talking points that were already covered earlier on. I remember at only point looking through the pages trying to find a study I linked to show someone and just say "fuck it" after 10pg of searching and gave up.

If you want this subsection to be revitalized you only need to post some questions. Also, any "So xxxx....." threads about major social events could go there. I mean if you wanted to kick it off, the whole "Government requiring religious institutions to pay for contraceptives that the government itself acknowledges may (not "does" just "may") abort a fertilized egg" is about to hit the Supreme Court.

Procellus
March 25 2014, 12:15:25 PM
I think the "everyone has access but remove retards" is a good idea. But I don't think it would solve anything. At best we would end up with similar threads both in here and in General chat.

Nordstern
March 25 2014, 09:32:23 PM
SB has less snarky comments and derailing than GC, and I'd prefer to keep it that way. That said, I'm in favor of a blacklist approach as opposed to a whitelist.

TheManFromDelmonte
March 26 2014, 10:48:48 AM
Apparently there are still people waiting to join the group.

Who can approve them?

GeromeDoutrande
March 26 2014, 11:26:09 AM
I don't think this subforum needs to exist. As I see it, the "thread quality" is not really different from rest of the forum.

Hel OWeen
March 26 2014, 12:10:47 PM
I politely disagree. (See, that's the difference ;) )

There's less cursing, name calling and "You!" ... "No, you!" going on in the threads here.

GeromeDoutrande
March 26 2014, 12:26:58 PM
Overall, I'd argue that there is less of anything going on in the threads here. But of course I see what you mean and you are right. Insults are fewer and are delivered in more subtle ways in here.

Personally, I think that usually the level of discourse is too much "high school debating club" to be useful.

Sofia Roseburn
March 26 2014, 01:24:14 PM
That was a suggestion when the subforum was first created, IIRC Sofia nixed it because it was 'too much work'.

-O

Except that's not what I said at all. The reason this place is set up as a whitelist rather than a blacklist is because it acts as an entry barrier to people wanting to post. Applications are made because people understand and wish to comply with the differing code of conduct that this subforum enforces, and allows for notable consequence should the poster fail to meet those.

Yes it requires administration, but it proved to be an effective way to reducing the amount of moderation that the subforum required. If I'd gone with a blacklist then I would have either had to ban people, which wasn't a suitable punishment, or infract people multiple times which allowed for gaming of the system.

Either way, don't put words in my mouth.

On topic: It's a bit dusty in here. Besides: Does Soffl still handle the invites at all? I haven't seen him in a while.

That was handed over to Spasm I stopped being a moderator overall. Suffice to say he's atrocious at keeping up with the applications and makes no effort to bring content to the subforum, but I never really had high hopes for him in the first place.

I'd reluctantly administrate this place again as I can see the potential even now, but you'd have to make that case to EntroX as I'm certainly not going to.

Sofia Roseburn
March 26 2014, 01:36:59 PM
Turns out that I still have access to allow access to this group, who knew?

I've processed everyone that had applied, bar MrBananaKing because fuck that guy.

Sp4m
March 26 2014, 02:14:23 PM

I've processed everyone that had applied, bar MrBananaKing because fuck that guy.

By the way, your Inbox is full.

I sent you a thank you note but it wouldn't let me.

Have a plus-rep instead.

TheManFromDelmonte
March 26 2014, 04:01:29 PM
Can we stop quackbot's oh so funny posting here?

Sofia Roseburn
March 26 2014, 04:14:08 PM
Can we stop quackbot's oh so funny posting here?

Unfortunately no.

Frug
March 26 2014, 04:30:25 PM

Oh hey, I can post here now.

This forum kinda failed but someone said they wanted to debate something in here about cognitive science so I applied.

Honestly I found this forum pointless because it wasn't being moderated enough. If it's gonna be serious business, people need to be booted for shitting up threads, and they weren't. If it's not gonnna be heavily moderated, remove the whole opt-in bullshit and make it public. Then you can just infract more heavily if people shit it up. Forget banning people from this forum specifically: If someone joins srs bsnss and shits it up, treat it like a pony infraction in general.

Sofia Roseburn
March 26 2014, 05:24:07 PM
Oh hey, I can post here now.

This forum kinda failed but someone said they wanted to debate something in here about cognitive science so I applied.

Honestly I found this forum pointless because it wasn't being moderated enough. If it's gonna be serious business, people need to be booted for shitting up threads, and they weren't. If it's not gonnna be heavily moderated, remove the whole opt-in bullshit and make it public. Then you can just infract more heavily if people shit it up. Forget banning people from this forum specifically: If someone joins srs bsnss and shits it up, treat it like a pony infraction in general.

I'd fully agree if that moderation style wasn't anathema to what EntroX envisions.

In many ways you're damned if you do and damned if you don't; considering the options available to you a whitelist is more effective.

Frug
March 26 2014, 05:34:03 PM
If you consider a stagnant forum nobody gives a shit about more effective, sure.

Sofia Roseburn
March 26 2014, 06:06:07 PM
Your argument is pretty poor considering you've got people asking why they can't post in there.

Frug
March 26 2014, 06:09:33 PM
Your argument is pretty poor considering you've got people asking why they can't post in there.

Yeah, maybe.

Ralara
March 26 2014, 08:23:57 PM
That was handed over to Spasm I stopped being a moderator overall. Suffice to say he's atrocious at being a mod

fyp

Ophichius
March 27 2014, 11:34:02 AM
Except that's not what I said at all. The reason this place is set up as a whitelist rather than a blacklist is because it acts as an entry barrier to people wanting to post. Applications are made because people understand and wish to comply with the differing code of conduct that this subforum enforces, and allows for notable consequence should the poster fail to meet those.

Yes it requires administration, but it proved to be an effective way to reducing the amount of moderation that the subforum required. If I'd gone with a blacklist then I would have either had to ban people, which wasn't a suitable punishment, or infract people multiple times which allowed for gaming of the system.

Either way, don't put words in my mouth.

My apologies, I honestly remember at some point you saying it would be too much work. You may very well have been summarizing the above points more succintly.

-O

Sacul
April 4 2014, 03:05:16 PM
Make me mod of this forum. winwin

Ralara
December 2 2015, 11:46:49 AM
what about now?

Nordstern
December 2 2015, 08:52:40 PM
Yes, it's still needed.

Dorvil Barranis
December 6 2015, 10:08:29 PM
God damn it, I just reread this necro. Thought it sounded familiar.