PDA

View Full Version : Build 000015A - First Multiplayer Alpha test

Nicholai Pestot
January 6 2014, 12:10:02 PM
The first Multilayer Alpha test (build 000015A) will be occurring this coming Sunday (12/01/2014) at 7pm GMT.

There will be a TeamSpeak server setup for the test (connection details pending - ill update here when I have them).
The client build will be provided up to 24hours before (just in case I get the urge to tinker before then) and the game password will be provided in TeamSpeak on the day.

There will only be a limited number of alpha test slots available. Iíll be starting at 5, then ramping up to 10 then (stability permitting) 20. As this first alpha build has poor (no) optimisation I doubt we will reach 20 people in this first test without the server shitting itself in some area.

Testing slots will be first come, first served and a few slots have already been snapped up by contributors. Post here or PM me if you want in.

The game itself will be very similar to the single player tests, with the following changes

-Multiple spawn points to stop a clusterfuck as everyone appears inside each other
-Death will result in a 5 second respawn wait with the camera focussed on the location of your demise. A message will go out allowing all to see who bagged you.
-No consumable burn rate, so your ships now have an infinite lifespan.
-Fuel is replaced by Energy Reserves and will recharge very slowly. You will be able to perm-maintain (not charge, just maintain) 2 shields without reserve drain.
-No NPCís. Just other players to kill. Players with their names clearly displayed, just in case you have a grudge against any FHC posters.

The player ship is setup as a broadside brawler.

It has significantly improved shield hitpoints and charge rates on its left/right sides, but still has piss-poor shields on its front/top/bottom and no shields on its rear. Its hull hitpoints have been significantly reduced, so shots that get through the shields will hurt.
Its turret arcs are optimised for broadsides, but with the strong flank shields of other ships that on its own may not be enough for you to win. Crossing your opponents T to get a sweet ass shot or opportunistically jumping people already fighting is highly encouraged.

Minion
January 6 2014, 02:51:36 PM
Time for some Violencing.

Are the controls the same or similar to the most recent version? I probably need to practice if I'll be worth anything more than wasting system resources.

Nicholai Pestot
January 6 2014, 02:53:58 PM
Yeah, same controls. Most recent single player is a legitimate way to practice some violencing.

Go heavy on the broadsides and pretend your front/top/bottom shields are made of paper. Also get used to assigning turret banks on each side to different targets, to maximise kill message whoring.

Equium Duo
January 6 2014, 04:57:34 PM
Looks good, as for TS, why not use failheap TS and create yourself a room on the day (you can set a password) might save some hassle?

Nicholai Pestot
January 6 2014, 05:06:28 PM
I considered it, but I'll be needing a TS server for something else anyway. More control with practically zero opportunity cost wins for me every time.

Plus my other testers who won't touch the FHC TS with a barge pole will also be able to get involved ;)

Rami
January 7 2014, 08:54:17 AM
I can make my own TS available for this under pass if needed.

QuackBot
January 7 2014, 09:00:15 AM
Yeah, same controls. Most recent single player is a legitimate way to practice some violencing.

Go heavy on the broadsides and pretend your front/top/bottom shields are made of paper. Also get used to assigning turret banks on each side to different targets, to maximise kill message whoring.
Yeah, same controls.

Torashuu
January 7 2014, 09:20:33 AM
Sign me up if there still is a spot. :)

metacannibal
January 7 2014, 10:01:44 PM
intertested..

Rami
January 10 2014, 10:35:14 AM
I will be sending TS details to Nicolai for address and password later today.

Dark Flare
January 10 2014, 10:35:31 AM

I can also do this

Nicholai Pestot
January 10 2014, 12:15:42 PM

I can also do this

Thanks Dark. Much appreciated.

I'll be using Rami's for this, but I would like to use yours as a backup if that's ok?

Freddy Dare
January 10 2014, 04:31:27 PM
Space Dildo's in Bukkake wars

Nicholai Pestot
January 10 2014, 05:23:14 PM

Internally the project name is "Space Dongues"

I may officially call it "Burning Void" and then make all the ships names anagrams of STD's.

Freddy Dare
January 10 2014, 05:31:15 PM
Nicholai. If you require my assistance Just ask banjo. I know nothing and can offer no real assistance.

Dark Flare
January 10 2014, 05:46:12 PM

I can also do this

Thanks Dark. Much appreciated.

I'll be using Rami's for this, but I would like to use yours as a backup if that's ok?

Sure, will pm details

Nicholai Pestot
January 10 2014, 06:58:34 PM
Nicholai. If you require my assistance Just ask banjo. I know nothing and can offer no real assistance.

Codeword acknowledged. Operation Shabba engaged.

Nicholai Pestot
January 11 2014, 11:42:43 PM
I've been dicking around with adding window dressing and I'm pretty much done now. I've noticed a bug with hotkey shield controls that I'm going to fix tomorrow. I should have the build up tomorrow afternoon.

Stuff I added today

- Death animation(so you don't just pop out of existence)
- Projectile collision explosions
- Engine Trails

and just some general tidy-up of bits and pieces.

I run a couple of small tests on a server that has 'just enough' resources to run an operating system and everything went well, so with a slight ramp-up of its capabilities in advance of the test tomorrow night I am optimistic about how it will perform.

Varcaus
January 11 2014, 11:56:29 PM

Internally the project name is "Space Dongues"

I may officially call it "Burning Void" and then make all the ships names anagrams of STD's.

Do it faggot.

Nicholai Pestot
January 12 2014, 01:16:42 AM
Final part of testing in prep for tomorrow was a quick 3 man brawl. My testers were carefully selected using the ancient method of "whoever was on steam and not asleep"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24030219/SpaceDongues1.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24030219/SpaceDongues2.png

A couple of issues were highlighted

BUG - Split bank firing is not working correctly. If you only have one bank selected and right click a target, instead of just that bank of weapons engaging ALL your weapons try to engage. I'm going to try to fix this tomorrow afternoon before the big test, along with the shield hotkey bug I already noticed.

Mechanics - Turn rate is too high in relation to forward velocity. A smart player will throw all their power into the shield facing you and then turn to keep it towards you without moving. I'm going to be ramping up ship velocity to account for this, so that a maximum forward burning ship ship can 'out turn' someone relying just on rotating.

Mechanics - The reduced weapon ranges may be a little too much. I'm probably going to increase them up to something like the single-player ranges.

Mechanics - The F1 camera is a bit of a pain to control. It needs a bit of a re-jig and the ship needs a marker to make it easier to know which way is 'up' on the ship.

Nicholai Pestot
January 12 2014, 11:25:56 AM
Bugs with split cannon fire and shield hotkey controls have been resolved.

Ship handling has been tweaked.

Weapon ranges have been tweaked.

All I need to do is tweak the camera controls and add an identifier on the ship for "This way is up" (probably a light of some sort) and the build should be done.

QuackBot
January 12 2014, 01:00:14 PM
Bugs with split cannon fire and shield hotkey controls have been resolved.

Ship handling has been tweaked.

Weapon ranges have been tweaked.

All I need to do is tweak the camera controls and add an identifier on the ship for "This way is up" (probably a light of some sort) and the build should be done.
Fire is bad against fire, you want +x items.

Equium Duo
January 12 2014, 01:44:39 PM
I'm excited and hoping I can join in! :D

Nicholai Pestot
January 12 2014, 01:56:56 PM
I'm excited and hoping I can join in! :D

I'm sure you will.

I'm going to be paying for a max-quality server for a few hours, so the upper limit should be what people can render on their PC's. Given that the game is not exactly...resource intensive, that should be a fair bit.

The build is now basically ready, I'm just fine tuning the ships weapons. I have replaced the side autocannons from last nights mini-test with super-slow tracking artillery that has an ENORMOUS explosion when it hits. Should be fun.

The build should be ready for download in about an hour. I'll be making a different thread with the download link and TS details.

Equium Duo
January 12 2014, 02:03:36 PM
schweeeet, wife goes to work in 45 mins, so that's perfect! HAHA :D

Nicholai Pestot
January 12 2014, 02:52:58 PM
Build is done.

Just configuring server.

Test thread will be up shortly.

Rakshasa The Cat
January 12 2014, 03:33:10 PM
Cloned the repository, why two directories and no shared code-base for the game logic?

Nicholai Pestot
January 12 2014, 04:58:07 PM
Cloned the repository, why two directories and no shared code-base for the game logic?

I'm very confused, as I have no repository setup with public access.

Are you looking at the old game?