PDA

View Full Version : WoT Style Levelling coming up

metacannibal
November 26 2013, 10:19:07 PM
Developer's Diaries: New Progression System
Update 1.37 will introduce new progression system: to get an access to the new plane a player will just have to research the previous one in the line. Besides that number of ranks will be changed to 5 and they will be based on the actual periods of the aviation development.

We planned the system from the very beginning, but we are introducing it just now, when modification system is implemented and number of available aircraft in the research tree is close to the release tree.

We are certain that with this new system the game will become more entertaining and varied both for experience players and new ones.

What is the new progression system?

All aircraft (as well as forthcoming ground units and ships) are now attributed in 5 ranks. When deciding whether an aircraft or a tank belongs to a certain rank, we consider its battle efficiency in the game and periods of aircraft development in real life. Thus later but «weaker» machines may be attributed to a lower rank and vice versa, but mostly one rank corresponds to a certain period of aircraft development.

To purchase a new plane from now on you should meet several simple requirements.

Let’s us take F4U-1d Corsair as an example. To get it you need:

1. To research a certain amount of modifications of the previous aircraft in our example it’s F4U-1a. Please note that research of all modules is not required, several modification from a certain tier is enough. Purchasing the modules is also not required.
http://warthunder.com/upload/image/800/f4u_eng.jpg

Modification menu. Pay attention that to research new aircraft in the line you don’t have to research all the modules. Also some experience gained from battles on this plane is spent to research «Engine» modification.

2. To unlock the rank the chosen aircraft belongs to. Thus F4U-1d belongs to rank III, which means we should unlock and purchase 3 planes from rank II. Let us choose, for example, F4U-1a and F6F-3a from the same branch and premium A6M2.

3. And finally before we can take F4U-1d into flight we should research the plane itself choosing him from the other aircraft available for research. The process is similar to researching modification, but research points from all the planes of the chosen nation you fly will be used for research of the chosen aircraft.

http://warthunder.com/upload/image/800/corsair_eng(1).jpg
USA ranks. To unlock rank III you will have to unlock any 3 aircraft of the previous rank. Currently F4U-1d (rank III) is being researched

That all means that experience gained for succesfull actions in combat gives access to new modifications of the plane a player is currently flying and brings him to closer to unlocking another plane a player has chosen.

We wanted to make the introduction of the new progression system non-problematic both for new and experienced players that is why all achievements, obtained modifications, purchased planes will remain. But please be noted that planes that are unlocked but not purchased will have to be reasearched once again in 1.37, because the whole system will be completely different. So you have some time to purchase aircraft you are interested in!

What are the advantages of the new progression system?
First of all a player may focus on the branch he personally prefers and move quicker down that branch. Previously to access a new rank pilot had to gain enough experience to unlock all the planes of the rank. From now on unlocking the next aircraft requires less experience which means that progress to the top aircraft of the branch is quicker.

With a new system player won’t have to leave the plane where he already has maximum experience and experience bar is full. Those who have low and mid tier premium aircraft will be even more satisfied — the may use those planes to research any planes they want without limitations (though if rank difference between planes is more than 1 research will be a little slower).

Finally we got the opportunity to provide better match-making and balance. Previous system took only planes’ rank and individual player’s efficeency into the account, from now on balance will be affected by the aircraft chosen and its effieciency in a certain game mode. Previously players had been divided into 3-7 groups by rank (depending on the amount of players and chosen game mode), now these groups are clear, players maybe certain that no planes from 3 different ranks will meet each other in the battle, only 2 and the whole match making is much more accurate.

And one of the most important advantages of the new system: due to forthcoming release of ground forces we thought how to level the playing ground and most experience players won’t gain to big an advantage. New system grants that opportunity.

You are looking forward to testing new aircraft and new opportunities? Then see you in the skies of War Thunder!

Hoggbert
November 26 2013, 10:47:10 PM
Dont care at all, cure killstealing and bombing of the base and i'm more or less out of things to complain about this game

Isyel
November 27 2013, 12:59:57 AM
Dont care at all, cure killstealing and bombing of the base and i'm more or less out of things to complain about this game

what he said

the leveling could work well, at worst it could be marginally worse than the meh system we have, whatever

RazoR
November 27 2013, 01:53:53 AM
I don't see any ~flexibility~ being implemented. Teribol.

Isyel
November 27 2013, 02:03:03 AM
I don't see any ~flexibility~ being implemented. Teribol.

Huh?

In theory allows you to get to the one plane you want faster than now, at the expense of masses of planes yo dont care about. We'll see how it works out.

RazoR
November 27 2013, 02:12:14 AM
What i meant is fitting, balancing speed with sturdiness on a next level from slightly thickier plates and glass on Lavochkins or something like that. Being able to switch self-sealing tanks for regular, for example, or vice-versa with big drawbacks if it wasn't on production planes and so on.

Basically what we have now is shit plane -> good plane without any turns, germans being the exception with dem gunpods. 410s still aren't collapsed into basic variants like they fucking should be and i'm almost sure Vickers P Tempest is going to be a new craft rather than a armament variant ala G-10/Yak-9P.

Isyel
November 27 2013, 02:43:00 AM
What i meant is fitting, balancing speed with sturdiness on a next level from slightly thickier plates and glass on Lavochkins or something like that. Being able to switch self-sealing tanks for regular, for example, or vice-versa with big drawbacks if it wasn't on production planes and so on.

Basically what we have now is shit plane -> good plane without any turns, germans being the exception with dem gunpods. 410s still aren't collapsed into basic variants like they fucking should be and i'm almost sure Vickers P Tempest is going to be a new craft rather than a armament variant ala G-10/Yak-9P.

How do you know they aren't collapsed into a single thingy in the new system?

Oh you mean just armament types on a single plane? yeah, they seem to have started doing that only later, would be nice if they changed it but ill settle for them putting them into groups

From reddit:

Matchmaker will have a bit more room to breathe than just a tier limit. What we will have now is different efficiency levels for different planes under different game modes + efficiency of the player himself that will also affect the matchmaking.
Edit: forgot about the second question. After you unlocked ability to research a plane inside the tree (by playing a bit on previous one) - you able to play on any available plane of the same nation to progress with research. So basically it possible to research your plane faster by using premiums with nice research point bonus.

and he also mentioned there will be high med low efficiency planes in every tier which the mm will take into account, so this system might actually be pretty good in the end

other assorted quotes from reddit

That is the thing - yes you did. Experience that you was gaining for level basically was unlocking all the planes. Now you will need just small portion of it to get the plane you need. You progress faster by ignoring planes you dont want to buy, because you dont have to collect experience for them.

They could get together, but basically tier 2 low efficiency planes have a small chance to get to the top efficiency tier 1 game. It will be a smoother experience overall.

Its to do with efficiency levels. In different modes efficiency calculated differently (as a prime example - yak 9t, which insane in arcade and mediocre in historic), but you always have low-efficiency, high efficiency and medium efficiency planes in the same era.

Free exp will be converted into free research points.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/1rim6n/developers_diaries_new_progression_system/

Venec
November 27 2013, 06:52:28 AM
Sounds ok tbh.

Dave1180
November 27 2013, 05:29:37 PM
how long before this happens?

Isyel
November 27 2013, 06:13:44 PM
how long before this happens?

either about 2 to 3 days or a week and a few days (29th or 4th)

PS4 eu launch is on the 29th, and i doubt they want to release the game on there only to change the xp system a week later tbh

Dave1180
November 27 2013, 06:36:51 PM
thanks, I better get grinding my RAF then!!

Meths
November 27 2013, 10:42:21 PM
So ive got 600k sl to spend before they change this shit should i get Spitfire Mk Vc or Spitfire F. Mk XVI?

Hoggbert
November 27 2013, 10:58:23 PM
So ive got 600k sl to spend before they change this shit should i get Spitfire Mk Vc or Spitfire F. Mk XVI?

MK XVI for sure

RazoR
November 27 2013, 11:32:24 PM
Vc is shit. Especially compared to Typhoons.

And XVI is the best dogfighter brits have, even i liked it.

Isyel
November 28 2013, 07:31:07 AM
PS4 getting 1.37 on the 29th, we get it a bit later. It seems they couldn't finish both at once. Ah well, more time to buy planes. :P

Vc is shit. Especially compared to Typhoons.

And XVI is the best dogfighter brits have, even i liked it.

last IX is a bit better, but fuck those 2 more tiers :(

RazoR
November 28 2013, 10:26:30 AM
IX is less agile fyi

Isyel
November 28 2013, 11:19:42 AM
Only rolls a tiny bit worse but doesn't want to kill you quite as much if you roll it too much. Plus it climbs better, so all in all still a bit better performing, but not for its tier. Doesn't matter though, XIV looks better so it will always be better in the end.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hoggbert
November 30 2013, 07:30:44 PM
On the Dev server, HB have lost the specks and you have a max view distance of 5km regardless of pilot skills.
Also HB becomes like arcade which mixes all nations together:emo:

RazoR
November 30 2013, 07:48:27 PM
On the Dev server, HB have lost the specks and you have a max view distance of 5km regardless of pilot skills.
Also HB becomes like arcade which mixes all nations together:emo:I hurd events will be still going on though, rite?

Venec
November 30 2013, 08:07:14 PM

http://i.imgur.com/hngZ57p.gif

lucian
November 30 2013, 10:11:07 PM

http://i.imgur.com/hngZ57p.gif

Should make for shorter queues, at least?

Constantinus
November 30 2013, 10:55:38 PM
The more i read about the new leveling system, the less i like it.
Actualy having to play shit planes i don't like just to get to the plane i like sounds pretty bad.
The new spotting system sounds bad as well but some dev wrote that the low visibilities are a bug and will be fixed.

Kilabi
November 30 2013, 10:57:14 PM
You dont have to play them according to some sources. All the planes of one nation contribute to the research you have queued up so you can still level like now but only won tree instead of the whole nation. But people are contradicting each other a lot still.

Constantinus
December 1 2013, 01:28:49 AM
You dont have to play them according to some sources. All the planes of one nation contribute to the research you have queued up so you can still level like now but only won tree instead of the whole nation. But people are contradicting each other a lot still.

Afaik it's not the research that is the problem but the need to actualy buy several upgrades for the prequesite planes.
If that is true then one would have to fly even undesirable planes at least for a while just to unlock the necessary upgrades
that enable you to research the next plane.

RazoR
December 1 2013, 01:47:07 AM
Scrubs gonna scrub.

RazoR
December 3 2013, 03:22:31 PM
jaysus foken chroist will the get on with it already

Lief Siddhe
December 4 2013, 06:23:59 AM
Ama whore the fuck out of US tier 2

P-38 might actually not suck so hard

Tajidan
December 4 2013, 07:34:57 AM
Unlocking of planes is back to normal on dev server

Changes in this version(Edit: EN translation out):

to unlock next plane in line you don't have to unlock modifications anymore
lots of freezes and crashes fixed
bug with kill count fixed
squadron chat bug fixed (messages could be seen by all)
other planes visibility is reverted back to 1.35 ( work in progress)
interface colors fixed
temporarily old crew icons are back, new ones being re-designed
several interface errors fixed
simplified dynamic charachteristics calculation improved ( irrelevant characteristics of modification effects shoud not now be displayed in the interface))
bug with wrong repair skill conversion fixed (used to scale to the lower number )