PDA

View Full Version : [Devblog] A Message from the Executive Producer

QuackBot
October 8 2013, 04:10:04 PM
Hi everyone!
My name is Jean-Charles Gaudechon and I have the immense privilege of being the new Executive Producer of DUST 514. I'd like to briefly introduce myself and say a few words about the fantastic task at hand.
http://failheap-challenge.com//web.ccpgamescdn.com/dust/news.control/65234/1/JCGaudechon_Portrait_Small2.jpeg
I've been making games for about twelve years, and most recently MMOs. Making deep and meaningful online experiences has become my specialty, with a recent strong emphasis on first-person shooters. That said, I enjoy many different genres, and am currently having a blast with the early build of a highly classified Space Program on Steam and protecting a bad-ass little girl from zombies on PS3. But, like many of you, I often default back to a few online games that give me exactly what I want. My favorite games seem to be built on strong fiction, supported by tight gameplay mechanics, and a player-driven economy.
With DUST 514, my mission is to give you the most intense and engaging experience possible for a free-to-play online multiplayer shooter in the EVE Universe. This requires focusing primarily on the core gameplay, but also on a deep and rewarding link to EVE Online and everything that comes with it: the incredibly immersive fiction, sandbox design, best-in-class player-driven economy, and much more. This is where DUST 514 differentiates itself completely from all other shooters and is why I love the game. Features such as player trade, valuable resources transferable and useable between DUST and EVE, and new game modes that capture the sandbox nature of our game, are all building blocks towards that vision. We will be revealing more details at EVE Vegas later this month, followed by in-depth articles, developer blogs, and more.
Another very important aspect of my mission is to keep listening to you, our players, and of course the Council of Planetary Management. CCP has an amazing track record of bonding with its community and I have every intention of keeping this true for DUST 514.
Finally, I need to give all the kudos I can to the development team in Shanghai. Every woman and man in this team pushed extremely hard to make DUST 514 a reality, and today they are even more motivated to keep our game vibrant and growing on a daily basis. It is a great honor for me to join this team and continue building on what has been done so far.
I can promise you that the team and I will take DUST 514 as far as we can and try to impress you with each and every new release. Be ready for a lot more DUST 514 action in the foreseeable future.
A pleasure to serve you!

CCP Rouge

original link (http://dust514.com/news/blog/2013/10/a-message-from-the-executive-producer/)

Rakshasa The Cat
October 8 2013, 04:26:25 PM
Hi, how are you?

Rakshasa The Cat
October 8 2013, 04:27:23 PM
Also KSP addict spotteD!

Jack bubu
October 8 2013, 04:59:07 PM
So the bearded guy got kicked?

cant remember his ccp name

Nu11u5
October 8 2013, 09:29:22 PM
So he produced Battlefield Heroes. BF1943 (which I liked) was very roughly based on the gameplay used in Heroes (minus micro-transactions), so I thought I would see what his influence on that game was.

While Battlefield Heroes still follows the "free to play" business model, changes in late 2009 altered the balance between free and paying users. On 30 November 2009, Electronic Arts altered the price structure in the game's online store, raising the cost of most items bought via free-to-acquire 'Valor Points'. At the same time, EA lowered the price of the majority of items available to buy with Play4Free Funds, an in-game currency that must be purchased with real money.

Ars Technica wrote about the recent update,

"...this update has a very real chance of ending the game. Now EA has forced gamers to make a choice between three options: quit, start playing for hours a day, or get out their wallets."
However, following the update, official Electronics Arts representatives have claimed that the negative impact to the audience size is minimal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Heroes#Pricing_model

Uhhhg...

This is the only relevant interview I could find on him and Dust:

Former EA veteran Jean-Charles Gaudechon has joined CCP as executive producer for Dust 514.

Gaudechon will be responsible for driving the future development of the MMO for PS3, which was officially launched earlier this year.

He will be based at the company's Shanghai studio and will report to another former EA exec, now CCP senior VP of product development, Sean Decker.

"I’m going to be the executive producer of Dust 514, so that’s going to be my sole focus, growing the already good game that it is," Gaudechon told Develop.

"The idea is really to keep pushing. Keep the very high quality releases now that the game is launched, and making sure that we basically listen to everything the community has to say and keep that very high quality experience out there."

Gaudechon also said he would look to use his experience in the free-to-play and online market to the FPS MMO to try and improve the player experience.

"I’ve been more working on these type of deep online experiences for five, six, seven years," he said.

"And on top of that I have experience on new business models like free-to-play. I think that experience can absolutely help Dust 514 to become an even better game with each release."

He added it was key as executive producer to make sure staff were driving toward the same vision for the game, and that the company was taking advantage of a wide array of skillets to ensure Dust 514 reaches its full potential.

"It’s a matter of advocating internally, which I’m a big fan of," he said.

"When you have the title of producer in your title, it has to be about vision. I’m pushing that vision for how or what people are going to experience.

"It’s not getting easier. That said, it all depends on the people you have got around you. So far it has been excellent working with the Shanghai team."

http://www.develop-online.net/news/former-ea-veteran-jean-charles-gaudechon-heads-to-ccp/0184211

Sponk
October 16 2013, 11:43:18 PM
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1399785#post1399785

October 16, 2013

We have reached a crossroads.

Four days away from finishing our 6th month since CCP Dolan announced the Council of Planetary Management, an immense amount of work remains in the process of establishing a practical, efficient working relationship with CCP Shanghai. By now most of you have learned that we now have a new Executive Producer: Jean-Charles Gaudechon, also known as CCP Rouge. My original hope was to have gotten far enough along by now that we'd be ready to collectively teach Dust514's next E.P. the merits of a strong working relationship through direct demonstration. Today, it appears that he is our best remaining chance at building that relationship.

I've struggled the past few weeks to figure out exactly what to write about since my last report, for fairly obvious reasons. Many of you have already been asking lots of questions about initiatives discussed in previous reports, such as the establishment of a CPM charter or a regular meeting schedule. Many of you have also noticed we haven't had a lot of answers. I finally sat down last Friday and hammered out a rough outline of what I'd write if I were to produce another typical Activity Report. Under normal circumstances, I ask questions about the items I'm unsure about, though I don't ever have CCP directly review or "rubber stamp" my blog posts – I've been doing this long enough to know what's safe or unsafe to say, and I think its also important to retain my own voice as much as possible.

This time, however, I wanted both CCP and the CPM to be on exactly the same page about what has transpired since I last blogged, and to give both parties a fair chance to give me something different to write about. The response from CCP was immediate – and since Friday the CPM have been in and out of a series of intense discussions with CCP Logibro, CCP Dolan, CCP Saberwing, and almost every member of the ever-growing Shanghai management group. The culmination of this was a meeting held yesterday with the new Executive Producer, CCP Rouge, an event we weren't expecting for another three weeks at least. The timeslot for the meeting was originally planned for a discussion of an upcoming event, but the meeting was cancelled and replaced with some face time with the new boss. Rouge had caught wind of our internal discussion about the state of the CPM and its development, and wanted to get involved immediately.

As frustrating as this may be for some of you, I will not be discussing the meeting in this post. Everyone knows what the CPM has been asking for, and everyone knows what has been promised in previous meetings. While we very much welcome CCP's apparent enthusiasm, we've also seen it many variations of it throughout the last 6 months. Were there commitments made in this meeting as well? Absolutely! But I will not be outlining them here.

The time has passed for the CPM to take verbal assurances at face value, and from this point on we can only evaluate CCP's interest in engaging the community through observing substantive action. As your representative body, pledges of cooperation made to the CPM are also made to each of you, and because of this they should almost always be made to you directly. Since CCP Dolan's initial post announcing our formation, the CPM's activities as well as CCP's interest in our development have been documented almost exclusively through this blog, and that will no longer be the case. The last pledge from CCP that I will communicate for them is this: There will be a public statement by the end of the week, where CCP will update the community on the state of the CPM as well discuss how we will be proceeding moving forward.

It is only fair at this point to expect CCP to provide the community with a transparent and critical examination of how we got to where we are today, as well as to discuss how they plan to improve the situation in the coming weeks. We have a window of opportunity now that CCP Saberwing is onboard to attend to the CPM in Shanghai, at a time when the possibility exists for top-down integration and management of the communication pipelines we've been waiting for. Hope certainly remains, but optimism will only return once we see the immediate mobilization that we deserve at this point and time.

There is certainly a lot more ground to cover, but the community must look to CCP to follow through on the public statement and begin this process themselves. Once everyone is caught up on the events leading to this point as well as what was covered in the meeting yesterday, I will have a lot more to discuss. If things get moving quickly enough, my intention is to resume weekly posts provided I actually have tangible news to deliver. In the meantime its CCP's turn to catch up with the community, and I look forward to seeing what they have to say.

welp

Mike deVoid
October 17 2013, 12:07:54 AM
Let the actions commence. However CCP have completely failed to strike whilst the iron was hot - or even lukewarm - and they'll have to hope they can survive the lull over the next 4-8 months until they can churn out significantly more engaging content. The more I compare what other FPS are doing, and have been doing, the more I realise that dust is completely unremarkable in all aspects APART from the fittings system (which incidentally is let down to a large extent by the lack of weapon customisation) and loss of stuff mechanic. The MASSIVE UPS of the eve/dust link is very very poor, and not likely to improve in the near-term due to the required eve development being delayed/cancelled).

Sponk
October 17 2013, 12:22:05 AM
I suspect that CCP Rouge will have a lot on his plate at the moment

* fixing what is clearly a dysfunctional Shanghai office
* Turning Dust away from the iceberg
* Identifying how Dust is supposed to pay for itself (and if that is answered by "just another PLEX sink" then so be it)

Sparkus Volundar
October 17 2013, 09:07:02 AM
CCP Rouge > "skillet"

http://lghttp.21049.nexcesscdn.net/809F1B/mage/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/279x279/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/e/le-creuset-cherry-red-skillet-grill-pan-l2021-2667-popup.jpg

The heat seems to be on, which begs the question, is CCP Skillet out of the frying pan and into the fire?