PDA

View Full Version : On Coffee

Lallante
August 19 2013, 02:43:43 PM
I was trying to explain the different coffee options to a curious colleage today but quickly realised the terms of art vary from country to country and shop to shop. In particular big retailers like starbucks tend to horribly mis-use terms which are applied fairly consistently elsewhere. Nevertheless I thought I would jot this down, which is an approximation of the "third wave" coffee shop standard nomenclature currently in vogue in London and other places with strong speciality coffee shop culture (double shots are assumed throughout):

DescriptionTotal Volume / Container sizeAmount of coffeeAmount of milkSteamed/Frothed Milk?Notes

(Double) Espresso60ml60ml0mlN/ACan also be served (less commonly)as a single
Machiatto~120ml60ml30~60mlFrothed (only)Usually the frothed milk simply sits on top of the espresso in clear layers.
Flat White~180ml60ml~120mlSteamedGenerally not frothed, Steamed milk ("Microfoam") is "folded" in to give characteristic consistant velvety smooth taste. No layering. Its important to use lightly roasted coffee beans and a lot of shit "chains" fuck this up (never drink a Pret a Manger "flat white", its a bitter disappointment).
Cappucino~240ml60ml~120mlMainly Frothed Always frothed, with a thick layer of stiff froth on top meaning a larger container is required. Layering, so minimal steamed milk actually mixed into the coffee.
Latte~240ml60ml~180mlSteamed, some foamBetween a flat white and a cappucino in consistency (bit of foam, bit of steamed milk folded in), but generally more milk overall as a result.

Options like "tall Machiatto" or "Cappucino extra shot" don't really make sense in this context, because the defining characteristic of most coffees is the proportion of coffee:milk, so changing it completely changes the drink. A Latte with an extra shot is practically just a bigger Flat White with a bit more foam, for example.

FatFreddy
August 19 2013, 02:46:22 PM
So when did you decide to go full hipster?

Lallante
August 19 2013, 02:51:35 PM
I've always been a bit of a hipster. Also even a complete noob to coffee will be able to appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings, its hardly an obscure art like wine-tasting,

FatFreddy
August 19 2013, 03:14:13 PM
I actually just saw the OPs title and your name and though "HA! Cheap trolly comment time AHOY"; didn't read OP because...of what it is, lulz

appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings

Oh, Lall...my comment was spot-on, wasn't it ^^

Lallante
August 19 2013, 03:35:29 PM
I actually just saw the OPs title and your name and though "HA! Cheap trolly comment time AHOY"; didn't read OP because...of what it is, lulz

appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings

I guess when you are drinking from a 50 litre trough and add several sacks of refined sugar its pretty much all the same.

indi
August 19 2013, 08:40:03 PM
I've always been a bit of a hipster. Also even a complete noob to coffee will be able to appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings, its hardly an obscure art like wine-tasting,

Except for the fact that the true connaisseur does not pollute his/her coffee with milk.

Elriche Oshego
August 19 2013, 09:46:33 PM
Come, come now. I enjoy black coffee but a bit of milk/cream every now and then is a nice change of pace.

For great at home coffee invest in a good burr grinder with multiple settings, an espresso machine, and french press. So good.

Phrixus Zephyr
August 19 2013, 11:02:30 PM
I've worked at Coffee Republic, a Costa franchise, Starbucks and a handful of bars (good and bad) with espresso machine day trade. After a point i gave up saying "this is how it is" and just started saying to the employer "just tell me how you want it made".

Starbucks were definitely the worst for muddying terminology though, but seeing as everyone else i've worked for has been British, it does make me wonder what coffee culture is like in New York or Seattle vs. Italy vs. Paris.

elmicker
August 20 2013, 12:07:31 AM
Italy's coffee culture is you'll have an espresso and you'll have it black and from a thimble. Frankly I'm inclined to agree.

Stoffl
August 20 2013, 09:49:06 AM
Sup

CBA to translate it but the sheer amount should make it clear that Coffee is SRSBSNS in Austria/Vienna

Austria

Sorted by name

Almkaffee / Gebirgskaffee – Kaffee mit Schlagobers, Eidotter und Obstschnaps
Biedermeier – Kaffee mit Schlagobers und Marillenlikör
Schale Braun – halb Kaffee, halb Milch
kleiner Brauner – einfacher Mokka mit Milch oder Obers in kleiner Schale. Das Kaffeeobers bzw. die Milch, um aus dem kleinen Schwarzen einen kleinen Braunen zu machen, wird traditionell in einem winzigen Porzellankännchen, das an einen etwas größeren Fingerhut erinnert, extra am Tablett serviert, damit der Gast selbst das Mischungsverhältnis bestimmen kann.

großer Brauner – doppelter Mokka mit Kaffeeobers in großer Schale
Doppelmokka – doppelter Espresso in großer Mokkaschale

Einspänner – kleiner Mokka im Glas mit viel Schlagobers (doppelter Einspänner: großer Mokka)
Eiskaffee englischer Art – ein Drittel Kaffee, ein Drittel Eis, ein Drittel Schlagobers
Fiaker – großer Mokka im Glas mit viel Zucker und einem Stamperl Sliwowitz oder Rum (Wien)
Franziskaner – lichte Melange mit Schlagobers
Gespritzter – schwarzer Kaffee mit Weinbrand/Cognac oder Rum
Schale(rl) Gold – Kaffee mit Kaffeeobers, etwas heller als ein Brauner (Wien)
Granita di Caffè – fein gekörntes Eis mit starkem schwarzem gezuckertem Kaffee übergossen
Häferlkaffee – Kaffee im Häferl (und nicht in einer Tasse) mit meist hohem Milchanteil, Filterkaffee; als Häferlkaffee wurde auch Ersatzkaffee mit viel Milch bezeichnet

Intermezzo – kleiner Mokka, mit heißer Schokolade und Creme de Cacao verrührt, darauf Schlagobers mit Praline (evtl. Mokkabohnen)

Kaffee Kirsch – Kaffee mit Kirschwasser
Kaffee verkehrt – Kaffee mit 2/3 Milch und 1/3 Kaffee (Wien)
Kapuziner – schwarzer Kaffee mit einem Schuss flüssigen Obers
Katerkaffee – starker Mokka, gesüßt mit an Zitronenschale geriebenen Zuckerstücken
Konsul – Mokka mit etwas Obers
Kosakenkaffee – kleiner Mokka im Einspännerglas, vermischt mit flüssigem Zucker und Rotwein und Wodka
Marghiloman – Mokka mit Weinbrand/Cognac
Mazagran – kalter gesüßter Kaffee mit Eisstückchen und Weinbrand/Cognac oder Maraschino
Melange – halb Kaffee, halb Milch
Kaisermelange – Mokka mit Eidotter, auch mit Honig und Weinbrand/Cognac (Wien)
Wiener Melange – Melange, mit geschäumter Milch im Glas serviert (Wien)
Maria Theresia – Mokka mit einem Schuss Orangenlikör
Mokka gespritzt – Mokka mit Weinbrand/Cognac und Rum
Othello – heiße Schokolade mit Espresso
Piccolo – kleiner Schwarzer mit Schlagobers
großer Schwarzer (auch großer Mokka) – doppelter Mokka in großer Schale
kleiner Schwarzer (auch kleiner Mokka) – einfacher Mokka in kleiner Schale
Sperbertürke – doppelt starker, mit Würfelzucker aufgekochter türkischer Kaffee
türkischer Kaffee passiert – türkischer Kaffee, bei dem der Satz herauspassiert wurde
überstürzter Neumann – Schlagobers in einer sonst leeren Schale wird am Tisch des Gastes mit heißem Kaffee „überstürzt“.
ungarischer Kaffee – starker gesüßter Kaffee wird aufs Eis gestellt, dann mit gekühltem Schlagobers vermengt und im Glas serviert

Verlängerter – ein kleiner Schwarzer wird mit der gleichen Menge an heißem Wasser verlängert
Weißer mit Haut – lichte Melange (heller Milchkaffee), der mit heißer, nicht verquirlter Milch serviert wird, worauf sich eine Haut bildet (Wien)
Zarenkaffee – starker Espresso, auf den eine Haube aus gezuckertem gesprudeltem Eidotter aufgesetzt wird

FatFreddy
August 20 2013, 10:37:40 AM

I guess when you are drinking from a 50 litre trough and add several sacks of refined sugar its pretty much all the same.

Ok, where in my kitchen is the camera?

The cameraS?

Otherwise, The Stoffler provided some context. Takin' it seriously since 1683~
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viennese_coffee_house#History)

Zeekar
August 20 2013, 11:26:29 AM

Except for the fact that the true connaisseur does not pollute his/her coffee with milk.

seriously this is the only correct answer.

Stoffl
August 20 2013, 11:39:46 AM
While I myself mostly drink my coffee black unless im in a Kaffeehaus(bitches don't know bout ma Melange), it's a retarded answer and just about personal taste.

Aeolos
August 20 2013, 12:29:26 PM
Added note to espresso: often served with a small glass of water, addition of sugar is permitted and often a good idea to balance the strong taste of the coffee. (personally, I'll take a black, no sugar, double espresso, but yeah.)

FatFreddy
August 20 2013, 12:33:54 PM
Added note to espresso: often served with a small glass of water, addition of sugar is permitted and often a good idea to balance the strong taste of the coffee. (personally, I'll take a black, no sugar, double espresso, but yeah.)

Moments where you realise that there are indeed many people who need manuals to [consume] beverages

amazing

Xamuni
August 20 2013, 02:05:10 PM
Sup

CBA to translate it but the sheer amount should make it clear that Coffee is SRSBSNS in Austria/Vienna

is there any difference between these two?

Lallante
August 20 2013, 02:13:47 PM

You are talking about filter coffee there.

Lallante
August 20 2013, 02:15:44 PM

Moments where you realise that there are indeed many people who need manuals to [consume] beverages

amazing

About 1/4 of people understand coffee. 3/4 have no clue what they even like, let alone what its called.

Stoffl
August 20 2013, 02:20:52 PM
Sup

is there any difference between these two?

Yeah, but wikipedia is actually wrong. lol

Melange = half espresso, half milk( 50:50 warm / foamed milk )

*edit*
owai, there's melange & wiener melange in dat list.
I guess it's redundant...or maybe vienna vs rest of austria ?
I personally would always expect foam when ordering a melange. vOv

Xamuni
August 20 2013, 02:39:12 PM
Well that´s complicated stuff.

Zekk Pacus
August 20 2013, 02:41:57 PM

Actually - when you add milk what you are doing is adding body - something like some of the costa rican beans this year work wonderfully with a bit of milk.

Will longpost when I get home.

Sabotaged by Aurocorrect

indi
August 20 2013, 06:31:11 PM

You are talking about filter coffee there.

I'm not, actually. (Maybe you are)

indi
August 20 2013, 06:32:33 PM

Actually - when you add milk what you are doing is adding body - something like some of the costa rican beans this year work wonderfully with a bit of milk.

Sabotaged by Aurocorrect

I abhor the taste of milk in my coffee - really can't abide it. So I'm p. sure I wouldn't like it even if most people did. (And obviously it's about personal taste - mine just happens to exclusively prefer no milk in any shape or form ;) )

FatFreddy
August 20 2013, 06:37:27 PM
Time for

COFFEDOME

indi
August 20 2013, 06:41:03 PM
Time for

COFFEDOME

Tbh, I did just engage my espresso machine. Currently anticipating that lovely first sip.

Zekk Pacus
August 20 2013, 07:57:46 PM

Sabotaged by Aurocorrect

I abhor the taste of milk in my coffee - really can't abide it. So I'm p. sure I wouldn't like it even if most people did. (And obviously it's about personal taste - mine just happens to exclusively prefer no milk in any shape or form ;) )

Heh, fair enough. As I say certain coffees are improved MASSIVELY by the addition of milk but certain coffees are ruined by it - Square Mile currently have a Honduran single origin that's completely overwhelmed by the addition of milk, and ends up tasting quite bland.

Anyway, coffee. I've worked for the three major chains in the UK and some smaller ones, and ran my own bars (nothing special) for a time. Currently back doing it for one of the chains - I wish I wasn't, but c'est la vie. It's what I'm good at and I do have a real passion for the coffee, which I developed living in Ethiopia. I even used to go and watch the regionals of the world barista championship, never entered as I'd probably get absolutely destroyed. Starbucks produce buckets of coffee-flavoured milk, pay them no mind. Nero have the darkest roast, with Costa not far behind. That's by the by. Lall's knowledge is mostly right but....

Macchiato literally translates as 'marked' and there are two variations - anything Starbucks produces called a Macchiato is actually a Latte Macchiato (the same way Costa serve their Lattes) whereas what most UK consumers would consider a Macchiato is a Caffe Macchiato (lit. 'coffee marked'). It's traditionally served as a single espresso, so 30ml coffee.

Flat white isn't made with full espresso shots, but ristretto (lit. 'restrained'), 15-20ml per shot depending on the beans used - the drink as developed in Oceania is a double ristretto to milk in a 6oz cup. As Lall said it's better done with a lighter roast (so none of the high-street chains). There's a knack to getting microfoam right and it's one of the things you will see novice baristas cock up constantly. Most places will train their baristas to do some basic latte art, the better baristas will develop their own style in art and it's worth looking out for this - one of the people I work with right now has genuine talent at this, and I've seen them produce some incredible stuff (there's also eleventy billion videos on youtube of top baristas doing it).

Cappucino and Latte aren't really worth talking about, they're pretty standardised drinks. One's got more froth than the other. Traditionally 8oz servings.

As for whether or not a tall macchiato or an extra shot cappucino makes sense, one of the things I hate about the small-bar third wave movement is the way all drinks have to be set in stone and made only the way the barista thinks is correct. Sometimes I want a really strong cappucino, and unless you happen to have something with a very dark roast to it, you're damn right I want an extra shot. The whole point of the 'third wave movement' (I hate this phrase but it's genuinely the best way to describe it) is as a movement to get coffee seen as a high-quality product, and get baristas seen as skilled culinary staff on a par with top chefs - a skilled culinary worker shouldn't shit the bed because I request a slight change to their recipe. What about if I want a wet cappucino? Is that verboten also?

I might go warm my machine up now....

QuackBot
August 20 2013, 08:00:11 PM
Heh, fair enough. As I say certain coffees are improved MASSIVELY by the addition of milk but certain coffees are ruined by it - Square Mile currently have a Honduran single origin that's completely overwhelmed by the addition of milk, and ends up tasting quite bland.

Anyway, coffee. I've worked for the three major chains in the UK and some smaller ones, and ran my own bars (nothing special) for a time. Currently back doing it for one of the chains - I wish I wasn't, but c'est la vie. It's what I'm good at and I do have a real passion for the coffee, which I developed living in Ethiopia. I even used to go and watch the regionals of the world barista championship, never entered as I'd probably get absolutely destroyed. Starbucks produce buckets of coffee-flavoured milk, pay them no mind. Nero have the darkest roast, with Costa not far behind. That's by the by. Lall's knowledge is mostly right but....

Macchiato literally translates as 'marked' and there are two variations - anything Starbucks produces called a Macchiato is actually a Latte Macchiato (the same way Costa serve their Lattes) whereas what most UK consumers would consider a Macchiato is a Caffe Macchiato (lit. 'coffee marked'). It's traditionally served as a single espresso, so 30ml coffee.

Flat white isn't made with full espresso shots, but ristretto (lit. 'restrained'), 15-20ml per shot depending on the beans used - the drink as developed in Oceania is a double ristretto to milk in a 6oz cup. As Lall said it's better done with a lighter roast (so none of the high-street chains). There's a knack to getting microfoam right and it's one of the things you will see novice baristas cock up constantly. Most places will train their baristas to do some basic latte art, the better baristas will develop their own style in art and it's worth looking out for this - one of the people I work with right now has genuine talent at this, and I've seen them produce some incredible stuff (there's also eleventy billion videos on youtube of top baristas doing it).

Cappucino and Latte aren't really worth talking about, they're pretty standardised drinks. One's got more froth than the other. Traditionally 8oz servings.

As for whether or not a tall macchiato or an extra shot cappucino makes sense, one of the things I hate about the small-bar third wave movement is the way all drinks have to be set in stone and made only the way the barista thinks is correct. Sometimes I want a really strong cappucino, and unless you happen to have something with a very dark roast to it, you're damn right I want an extra shot. The whole point of the 'third wave movement' (I hate this phrase but it's genuinely the best way to describe it) is as a movement to get coffee seen as a high-quality product, and get baristas seen as skilled culinary staff on a par with top chefs - a skilled culinary worker shouldn't shit the bed because I request a slight change to their recipe. What about if I want a wet cappucino? Is that verboten also?

Heh, fair enough.

Narmio
August 20 2013, 08:22:52 PM

Sabotaged by Aurocorrect

Amen, coffeebrother. Although what is your opinion on the cortado/piccolo latte?

I just came back to Sydney after six months in fucking North Carolina, and man is it good to be in a city that respects the bean. The not-huge-city parts of the US are coffee-murdering shitholes.

Elriche Oshego
August 20 2013, 09:20:43 PM
Atleast you did not have to experience the average Canadian dreck that is Tim Hortons. Double Double - Two measures of 18% cream, two heaping measures of white sugar. It doesn't even taste like coffee at that point, which is probably a good thing because black timmies coffee tastes of weak battery acid.

walrus
August 20 2013, 09:31:49 PM
I tried to order a cuppa joe, at a diner, in Indianapolis once.

"no we don't serve coffee in the summer"

vat.jpg

phone

cullnean
August 20 2013, 09:34:34 PM
Nescafe one teaspoon 2x sugar plus milk

I just wanna watch the world burn

tapa4

FatFreddy
August 20 2013, 10:42:32 PM
Nescafe one teaspoon 2x sugar plus milk

I just wanna watch the world burn

tapa4

Clearly, you need to read more tables and other ways of listing "how to coffee"

Just think of all the pent-up buttholes!

Lana Torrin
August 21 2013, 01:00:11 AM
Came in expecting a discussion about different beans and flavor profiles.. Forgot Americans don't know what coffee is.

Sponk
August 21 2013, 04:28:39 AM
As an Australian, I'm contractually obligated to like flat whites, but my preference is a doppio straight up.

Meridith
August 21 2013, 07:55:20 AM
Only drink black coffee checkin in

FatFreddy
August 21 2013, 09:39:41 AM
Came in expecting a discussion about different beans and flavor profiles.. Forgot Americans don't know what coffee is.

Fun fact: US quota of posts in this thread is what, ~10%?

Posters in here are: UK, NL, GER, AUTx2, AUS, etc.

but then: I just replied to a Lana Torrin post in earnest...onoez.

Zekk Pacus
August 21 2013, 11:43:37 AM

So I'm currently using at home beans from the Square Mile Roastery (http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/ - set up by a guy who won WBC a couple of times in a row and some of his friends), there's also a LOT of places in London that use their beans. Anyway, they tend to rotate what they sell every 3-6months and do mostly very small lots - sometimes microlots, mostly single farm or collective.

My personal tastes lend towards African beans - I find most South American produce to be lacking in body, and I really have to be in the mood for something far eastern. At the moment I've got two square mile packages in my kitchen - someone bought me a 12-month sub to their filter coffee produce, which I brew using an Aeropress, and currently it's their Kochere Yirgacheffe which is a classic Ethiopian coffee. Wonderfully floral with real citrus notes and refreshing in the mouth. I also buy their espresso quite often, although I also have a bag of cheap beans because sometimes I'm too tired to really think about my coffee and I just need caffeine NAO. So I've got some of their La Valentina, which is a microlot from Honduras and is incredible, especially given that I'm not a big fan of SA coffee generally. Really sweet with light acidity, it's absolutely perfect for any kind of textured drink (flat white/cortado). On that subject I wish I lived in Aus sometimes, not because of giant spiders but the coffee scene over there is incredible. The amount of different recipes that get wholesale ripped off by the chains is quite incredible - a few of the Aus caffes in the UK are doing roaring trade in piccolo latte at the moment, expect that to get stolen by a chain within the next 2 months.

I really want to get around to getting a syphon brewer but ideally you need an exposed flame burner and I just cba.

indi
August 21 2013, 02:18:58 PM
ITT I learned that Zekk Pacus can brew me a cuppa anytime.

Lana Torrin
August 21 2013, 02:40:42 PM
I have a 12 month subscription to 5 senses (perth) so every 2 weeks I get sent a random bag roasted either that morning or the night before. I cant even remember what I have in at the moment but so far they have all been single origin low run beans. The current one is a little bitter for my tastes (not so much I cant or wont drink it) but I have had a few friends tell me they love it. I have an Alice Estate (Brazil) bag I have yet to open and this is the 3rd time they have sent me this. Its really nice.

In the mornings I go to a nice little coffee bar we have in town that has 3 different beans on every day. They have their house blend which is pretty consistent (They have changed it 3 times in a year) and then they have a single origin bean and a guest blend that they change every day (and if they run out also once during the day). The single is always nice and they have been working through some of the COEs from various countries. The guest blend can be a bit hit and miss but they guys will happily tell me if its good in milk or not (fruity blends tend to be crap in milk) and so we work from there. Most of these blends are short run blends or imported from Melbourne.

Quite honestly having a different coffee every morning is keeping it all interesting for me. I used to get the same coffee every morning from the same coffee shop and eventually you start to lose the flavor of what you are drinking. With a different bean every morning its returned coffee drinking to the adventure it should be.

Winged Nazgul
August 21 2013, 09:03:57 PM
Forget about the rainforest, save the Ethiopian coffee plants!!!!11

http://vimeo.com/67890000

Elriche Oshego
August 21 2013, 10:13:30 PM
Best Coffee roasting company in BC, perhaps Canada: http://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/home

Amazing Dark Roast
http://wpmedia.blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/09/kicking-horse-coffee.jpg

pazuzu
August 22 2013, 03:14:17 AM
Nobody here is italian so stop this nonsense, just drink brown water as you are used to

if not, take this

http://www.xpresscoffeeuk.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/illy-dark.jpg

and turn it into this

http://cdn.blogosfere.it/ilserpentedigaleno/images/tazzina_caffe.jpg

i'm always amazed by the way foreigners are unable to get simpler things like coffee right (or pasta)
it's absolutely possible the rest of the world is right, but lol nope

Zekk Pacus
August 22 2013, 03:30:28 AM
Actually I consider the italian coffee scene to be stagnant. You know the Italian roast was created to cover up the variances in cheap low-grade beans?

Sabotaged by Aurocorrect

cullnean
August 22 2013, 03:31:54 AM
Nobody here is italian so stop this nonsense, just drink brown water as you are used to

if not, take this

and turn it into this

i'm always amazed by the way foreigners are unable to get simpler things like coffee right (or pasta)

Screw you surrender monkey

tapa4

Al Simmons
August 22 2013, 05:15:10 AM
Not much of a coffee drinker, about the only thing I have picked up is that if you want a "normal" coffee from one of these hipster chains is that you should ask for an Americano. Although they are infecting everywhere now tbh, I asked for a coffee with my lunch in a sandwich joint and I got a cupful of frothy coffee-flavoured milk rather than an actual cup of coffee.

Lana Torrin
August 22 2013, 05:47:24 AM

if not, take this

and turn it into this

Comes pre-ground in a can, your opinion is therefor invalid.

Stoffl
August 22 2013, 05:55:56 AM

if not, take this

and turn it into this

Illy is tasty but the price is obscene, not worth the monies imho

:tappin dat talk:

Tsjupp
August 22 2013, 06:43:13 AM
Best coffee is the one you boil over a fireplace out in the woods after hours of hunting or hiking imo, where you can chew the leftover coffeecrap in the bottom of the kettle.
Also, anyone that brings milk or sugar to that should be fed to the bears.

Lana Torrin
August 22 2013, 06:59:53 AM
Best coffee is the one you boil over a fireplace out in the woods after hours of hunting or hiking imo, where you can chew the leftover coffeecrap in the bottom of the kettle.

If you were talking about tea I would agree, but not coffee.. Never coffee.

Elriche Oshego
August 22 2013, 12:51:23 PM
With greasy bacon, eggs, beans, and toast.

Goddamn I want to go camping now.

Zekk Pacus
August 22 2013, 02:14:55 PM
For camping/mobile, I have one of these:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gwHJhgRTYq4/TnI5CIYeETI/AAAAAAAAIUk/8Vn2Drw9BDM/s400/HandpressoMachinebyLaRuso23423423423.jpeg

Takes a bit of practice to get the pressure right and water can be suspect, but it's a reasonable espresso.

cullnean
August 22 2013, 02:17:08 PM
Zekk mate... Mate... Zekk

tapa4

Zekk Pacus
August 22 2013, 02:51:46 PM
m8 I got given it by a rep, handy as fuck in jobs that don't have a coffee machine or when camping.

Hels
August 22 2013, 03:14:12 PM
I just do iced coffee.

Best.

Stoffl
August 22 2013, 04:06:28 PM
Zekk mate... Mate... Zekk

tapa4

SERIOUS BIZNIZ MATE

:tappin dat talk:

Andrea Griffin
August 22 2013, 04:58:59 PM
I don't know much about coffee. Enlighten me and suggest some products.

I like strong flavors. Due to stomach issues, high acid content is not an option. Low acid options if at all possible. I like creamy stuff and have always stayed away from straight black coffee due to aforementioned acid content.

Assist and educate me, my Failheap Brethren. ♥

Stoffl
August 22 2013, 05:08:20 PM
Afaik black coffee is actually easier on the stomach..
Or is that just due to lactose intolerance ?

Anyways, http://www.coffeereview.com/article.cfm?ID=132 ?

Tsjupp
August 22 2013, 06:58:13 PM
With greasy bacon, eggs, beans, and toast.

Goddamn I want to go camping now.

This! The very soul of coffee. And bacon. The closest you'll ever come to nirvana, and by that I dont mean the band.

cullnean
August 22 2013, 07:40:49 PM
Heathens

Tea with fried breakfast

tapa4

Narmio
August 22 2013, 10:13:17 PM
I don't know much about coffee. Enlighten me and suggest some products.

I like strong flavors. Due to stomach issues, high acid content is not an option. Low acid options if at all possible. I like creamy stuff and have always stayed away from straight black coffee due to aforementioned acid content.

Assist and educate me, my Failheap Brethren. ♥

This is heavily dependent on what city and country you live in. But the first question is: Do you like the smell of coffee when other people are making it? If so then your aim is to make something which tastes as good as it smells.

If not then we can't help you and you're likely not human anyway.

Zekk Pacus
August 22 2013, 10:40:54 PM
For strong flavours with low acidity you're basically looking either Ethiopia Yirgacheffe (although some have high acidity - best to try some if you can), some Kenyan produce, or something South American. For the love of god avoid Colombia and Brazil - whilst there are good beans coming out of those countries they're rare compared to the total volume leaving those countries. Try and dig out something Guatemalan or Honduran. IF you can find it at a reasonable price and you trust the supplier, Hawaii and Jamaica also count although good luck.

Where in the world are you? If you're UK based I can recommend some reasonable suppliers, especially if you're in or around London.

lt
August 23 2013, 10:20:47 AM

If you were talking about tea I would agree, but not coffee.. Never coffee.

He is right you know.

:TpTlk:

Mean Harri
September 2 2013, 06:51:36 AM
Five or so years ago I bought a Capresso through the lid coffee maker and never looked back. It brews at the proper temp, never had a problem with it. Straight up coffee with some half and half. Fuck all that fancy foo foo shit from Starcraps, etc... Although, Human Bean has the best coffee I think I have ever purchased.

Cosmin
September 2 2013, 07:33:46 AM
London and other places with strong speciality coffee shop culture

I'd like to chip in and say that Britain is absolutely terrible in terms of coffee, british people can't tell a good cup of coffee from an espresso machine enema.

I needed to buy a coffee press when I first moved here because the coffee was so bad it actually made me sleep. Still missing my Krups XP2010 I had back home, will bring it to the UK after Christmas \o/
http://www.toaster-oven.net/productimages/jrl1/krups-xp2010-combination-coffee-maker-pump-espresso-machine.jpeg

The only thing I'm buying from Starbucks is Chai Tea Latte, that stuff is strong.

As for the actual stuff that goes in the machines, I prefer colombian or african or other south American blends, they're among the best. Also, had used a long time ago unrefined sugar from Sudan, that thing gives coffee one awesome flavour.

Have to agree with this.

Zekk Pacus
September 2 2013, 08:45:11 AM
If you go to a chain expecting great coffee, you're gonna have a bad time. I don't even think that's the chain's fault, but the public - they have equated a certain flavour with 'good' coffee, and that means dark roasts and really hot, really sweet drinks. People will send back fantastic coffee at 60deg, but drink gravy water at 70deg. (I am currently drinking a home-made latte macchiato as I write this and god it's delicious).

But if you're living in London, there is a great speciality coffee scene here. There's Prufrock Coffee on Shoreditch High Street (run by Gwilym Davies), Flat White on Berwick Street to name a couple. There are a TON of great espresso bars, a lot of them run by Aussies and Kiwis.

On that subject if you do live in London and/or end up near Regent Street and Vigo Street, it's worth hunting out the Starbucks there. I know, I know, but they have the only Clover brewer in the UK afaik and the green giant produces some great coffees to go with it.

Lallante
September 2 2013, 10:12:35 AM

I'd like to chip in and say that Britain is absolutely terrible in terms of coffee, british people can't tell a good cup of coffee from an espresso machine enema.

I needed to buy a coffee press when I first moved here because the coffee was so bad it actually made me sleep. Still missing my Krups XP2010 I had back home, will bring it to the UK after Christmas \o/
http://www.toaster-oven.net/productimages/jrl1/krups-xp2010-combination-coffee-maker-pump-espresso-machine.jpeg

The only thing I'm buying from Starbucks is Chai Tea Latte, that stuff is strong.

As for the actual stuff that goes in the machines, I prefer colombian or african or other south American blends, they're among the best. Also, had used a long time ago unrefined sugar from Sudan, that thing gives coffee one awesome flavour.

Have to agree with this.

This is the equivalent of saying "I've only every drunk British lager from cans bought from a supermarket, and I conclude that British beers are shit, Brits know nothing about craft ales. PS: off to drink some coors light".

i.e. you are fucking clueless.

London has one of the best coffee scenes in the world. Its not the top, there are Australian and NZ cities which are better, but its pretty high up there. Obviously you need to know where to go, but its not like theres a limited number of options. Theres 6 different independent speciality coffee houses within 5 minutes walk of my office worth drinking.

Cosmin
September 2 2013, 06:00:48 PM

Have to agree with this.

This is the equivalent of saying "I've only every drunk British lager from cans bought from a supermarket, and I conclude that British beers are shit, Brits know nothing about craft ales. PS: off to drink some coors light".

i.e. you are fucking clueless.

London has one of the best coffee scenes in the world. Its not the top, there are Australian and NZ cities which are better, but its pretty high up there. Obviously you need to know where to go, but its not like theres a limited number of options. Theres 6 different independent speciality coffee houses within 5 minutes walk of my office worth drinking.

I think I made the mistake Zekk mentioned about the coffee chains for which I do apologise. I did try Nero, Costa, SB and a lot of coffee machines around the UK plus the occassional stuff made by cafeterias and pubs around MK, Bedford, Sheffield, Manchester and London and I was thoroughly unimpressed, but I am willing to give it a go if there are worthy places.

Could you reccomend some of these places with a GMaps link so I can drop around one whilst in London? :)

I might be clueless about places serving good coffee, haven't had the time to actually dig around London, but I do know my coffee, so challenge accepted \o/

Speaking of which, how do you identify such places in the first place, besides going into each coffee shop you see and trying out the stuff? :\

Zekk Pacus
September 2 2013, 10:06:19 PM
Blogs, mostly. James Hoffman's blog is a reasonable one (http://www.jimseven.com/), he's London based, works for one of the bigger roasters and is often out and about. You can also pretty much guarantee that anywhere his roastery supplies (http://www.squaremileblog.com/where-to-drink-our-coffee/) is a good cafe or at the very least will give you a reasonable cup. It's also expensive to buy either retail or wholesale, so GENERALLY the cafes that use it aren't run by muppets. They seem to have an almost-stranglehold on the London independent scene but there's a few good places not using their beans - Monmouth Coffee source and roast their own (Covent Garden, and they have a store in Borough too), Ozone near Old Street also do this.

Apart from that, Time Out's recommendations are usually pretty solid. And trying out a cafe costs you about £1.70 (I generally start with an espresso before trying anything more complex), so it's not like it's a big cost.

Regarding the chains, they all use dark roasts and allow the baristas very few variables in producing coffee. There's actually nothing at all wrong with this - if you go to a chain, you're expecting a consistent drink, and you can't do anything surprising with the flavours, hence dark roasts and as few variables as possible to produce a consistent cup of coffee. It's the same in every country, though - chains are trading off individuality for consistent product, so they're never going to be on the cutting edge. Barista training is also suspect and baristas in chains develop bad habits very quickly - all 3 of the chains have a 6-8 week training program new hires are supposed to follow, but they are also subtly pressured into getting new hires earning money as quickly as possible, which leads to bad habits (large jugs of milk when there's no need for them, heating milk as hot as possible so it stays in range longer, etc etc etc) and a lack of passion. Same in pubs and basically anywhere that's not an individual coffee shop.

But the guys who are doing coffee and nothing but coffee rival any other city in the world.

Lallante
September 2 2013, 10:20:11 PM
Generally the big queue for coffee despite it being on a quiet backstreet gives it away. Hand-written signs, "guest" beans, passionate sounding staff and of course the actual equipment can all be indicative.

What the chains serve you isnt coffee. It doesnt even taste remotely like proper coffee. Its not like the difference between good wine and bad wine, is like the difference between good wine and a hot glass of weak ribena.

Zekk Pacus
September 2 2013, 10:30:58 PM
The actual coffee is fine and in some cases even quite tasty (doesn't hold a candle to a proper bean, obviously, but an espresso out of either of the non-SB chains, if the equipment is cleaned, maintaned and adjusted properly and the barista knows what they're doing, is a serviceable espresso). The issue is that the drink sizes are too big (12oz is not a 'small' coffee, and nothing should ever be served in a fucking 20oz cup), and there's nowhere near enough espresso in the standard recipes, for any of the chains.

Narmio
September 2 2013, 11:01:46 PM
The actual coffee is fine and in some cases even quite tasty (doesn't hold a candle to a proper bean, obviously, but an espresso out of either of the non-SB chains, if the equipment is cleaned, maintaned and adjusted properly and the barista knows what they're doing, is a serviceable espresso). The issue is that the drink sizes are too big (12oz is not a 'small' coffee, and nothing should ever be served in a fucking 20oz cup), and there's nowhere near enough espresso in the standard recipes, for any of the chains.
Yup. When I absolutely can't get anything but chain coffee, my go-to is the "cap/latte with half as much milk" (cap in AU/UK, latte in the US because the yanks just don't know how to cap). Sometimes they ask me what I want in the other half ("air, please"), and sometimes they don't seem to be able to count to 0.5, but it usually works.

Cosmin
September 3 2013, 07:17:07 AM
Took some notes, read some stuff, will be out and about in a couple weeks with my camera and a disposition for coffee around London \o/

trying out a cafe costs you about £1.70 (I generally start with an espresso before trying anything more complex), so it's not like it's a big cost.
The thing is for me at least a cup of coffee is a very personal thing. Trying out a new place/blend is like going out on a date. Mostly you try and find out as much as possible prior to getting in bed with it, to avoid being let down. I know it sounds retarded :\

Lallante
September 3 2013, 09:42:13 AM
Cosmin if you are around liverpool street I can give you a lot of good tips.

My favourite place every single barrista knows me (and all the other regulars) by name, knows my fiance, knows where I work and what I do, where I've been on holiday, what my order is without me saying it etc. There is an enjoyment to that kind of service which exceeds that offered by a chain by such a degree as to be incomparable, even if the coffee was the same, and it isn't.

PS: Pret a Manger coffee is absolutely foul. Really bitter, heavy roast that tastes like its been burnt.

Cosmin
September 3 2013, 09:50:34 AM
Yup, agree with the PaM assessment. Best thing you can do is bring a Thermos of your own stuff and enjoy their carrot cake :D

Basically I'm planning a solo London trip to take lots of pictures, full hipster mode but without the film camera so might drop by that area as well. I'm drawn towards quiet places usually, finding islands of peace among the large capital cities turmoil is a wonderful thing.

Zekk Pacus
September 3 2013, 10:12:08 AM

My favourite place every single barrista knows me (and all the other regulars) by name, knows my fiance, knows where I work and what I do, where I've been on holiday, what my order is without me saying it etc. There is an enjoyment to that kind of service which exceeds that offered by a chain by such a degree as to be incomparable, even if the coffee was the same, and it isn't.

PS: Pret a Manger coffee is absolutely foul. Really bitter, heavy roast that tastes like its been burnt.

Except that kind of service was pioneered by Starbucks - they pioneered the 'third place' theory. I've had regulars who I was every bit as close to in my chain jobs - i'm talking got invited to weddings close. That's just good customer service, and that's more dependent on the store management than the company.

Lallante
September 3 2013, 10:27:33 AM

Except that kind of service was pioneered by Starbucks - they pioneered the 'third place' theory. I've had regulars who I was every bit as close to in my chain jobs - i'm talking got invited to weddings close. That's just good customer service, and that's more dependent on the store management than the company.

In the UK at chains like starbucks they have very large rosters of part time and variable shift workers. I've rarely seen the same person serving two days in a row at the same time in the starbucks I walk past on the way to work, and those that do are often Eastern Europeans on minimum wage and about as engaged by their job as youd expect. Maybe managers are different.

Zekk Pacus
September 3 2013, 12:58:56 PM
Oh definitely but that's all chain syndrome (although starbucks pay a reasonable sum above the minimum wage). There are ways around that but that depends on a manager who's engaged in what a coffee shop should be - you're not likely to get that in an inner-city chain location. You can get it in some of the 'neighbourhood' locations, in smaller towns and villages. I have the feeling we both basically agree on this point but are coming at it from different angles.

Lallante
September 3 2013, 02:48:18 PM
Yes also you have a lot more experience than I do, just relating my experience.

Smuggo
September 3 2013, 04:12:32 PM
When I worked in a Threshers, regular customers were the worst. They fucking sit there chatting to you, asking about what you're doing as if you're their mate.

The whole time I'm just hoping they would fuck off so I could go back to smoking my spliff by the back door.

Anyway, only coffee place I ever really liked was a place round the back of the National Gallery in London called Orsini. It's an Italian sandwich shop. Really nice sandwiches and good coffee to go with it.

Zekk Pacus
September 3 2013, 04:28:26 PM
I love regulars, they're definitely one of the better parts. You have to be clear that they're your customers and not your mates whilst you're at work, though - that way leads trouble. But as long as they get that, and are friendly, it's a nice boost to see people that you can have a chat with.

AmaNutin
September 14 2013, 05:20:38 AM
I love regulars, they're definitely one of the better parts. You have to be clear that they're your customers and not your mates whilst you're at work, though - that way leads trouble. But as long as they get that, and are friendly, it's a nice boost to see people that you can have a chat with.

I am friendly with the people at the coffee place I go to on weekends.
I consistently go there to get mexican mochas (the only coffee I really drink when there). Anywhere else and I need some caffiene, I go for the expresso shots, usually cheapest.

Zekk Pacus
September 15 2013, 08:46:07 PM
So just on the subject of coffee, paid a visit to both Flat White and Milk Bar in Soho today. Didn't get any pics of Milk Bar (though they're the same company, so think same drinks but in glasses, as that's their 'thing'), but I did pick up this quick shot of a flat white and a cappuccino at Flat White itself:

Spoilered for big:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3DRcqW3R5kZScwYfxA2G107gbdZgGfECHGs7mvyMgy0=w1207-h905-no

Flat white was glorious as ever, and the cappuccino was a near-perfect balance. Well worth going to if you're in the area, although their seating doesn't lend itself to staying very long (bench seating with some stools). And yes those are my arms in the shot.

AmaNutin
September 18 2013, 03:00:14 PM
My coffee shop of choice in SF has one of the managers who has started doing pictures - he can do the leaf/heart shape, so now he's doing stuff like the garfield face and more.

I consistently get the mochas when I have a free Saturday or Sunday morning.

Thanks for the list on how much milk is used to fill vilume on most drinks - now I will just get shots or smalls.

Smuggo
September 23 2013, 10:56:04 AM
Thinking I need to stop drinking coffee on a regular basis and not drunk any at all today. Felt shattered earlier but I'm actually okay now and seem to have woken up.

Might try the decaff we have at work later as I still want the coffee taste.

QuackBot
September 23 2013, 12:00:12 PM
So just on the subject of coffee, paid a visit to both Flat White and Milk Bar in Soho today. Didn't get any pics of Milk Bar (though they're the same company, so think same drinks but in glasses, as that's their 'thing'), but I did pick up this quick shot of a flat white and a cappuccino at Flat White itself:

Spoilered for big:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3DRcqW3R5kZScwYfxA2G107gbdZgGfECHGs7mvyMgy0=w1207-h905-no

Flat white was glorious as ever, and the cappuccino was a near-perfect balance. Well worth going to if you're in the area, although their seating doesn't lend itself to staying very long (bench seating with some stools). And yes those are my arms in the shot.
This is going to visit me, toxic.

cullnean
September 28 2013, 11:37:17 PM
Turns out I'm the biggest coffee faggot around, well that was a supprise

tapa4

Tellenta
September 29 2013, 01:47:21 AM
Turns out I'm the biggest coffee faggot around, well that was a supprise

tapa4

My faggotry extends to dinking coffee made from beans that were roasted when i picked them out.

Beyond that folgers will do in a pinch.

I get annoyed if i cant have a morning cup o' coffee.

fone poastin

Hels
September 29 2013, 03:28:30 AM
This summer I cold steeped large quantities of iced coffee.

Was good, got it dialed in. That said it's starting to cool off again.

Tellenta
December 26 2013, 04:01:30 PM
i like to drink coffee

So do I! lets fuck.

56k Lagman
June 25 2014, 04:03:26 PM
I'm going to invest in a fucking espresso machine because I WANT TO BE HIGH AS A FUCKING KITE IN THE MOLRNIGING HOLY FUCK

Any suggestions of UK/Ireland located brands of espresso machines?

cullnean
June 25 2014, 05:21:35 PM
A decent gaggia machine should see you right
Sent from my RM-941_eu_euro1_231 using Tapatalk

cullnean
June 25 2014, 05:29:40 PM
A decent gaggia machine should see you right

Straight Hustlin
June 25 2014, 05:43:48 PM
I'm going to invest in a fucking espresso machine because I WANT TO BE HIGH AS A FUCKING KITE IN THE MOLRNIGING HOLY FUCK

I once drank 3 Lavazzas in a short span, was like being coked up with a side of IBS

Ophichius
June 25 2014, 05:51:57 PM
This summer I cold steeped large quantities of iced coffee.

Was good, got it dialed in. That said it's starting to cool off again.

Share the wealth! What's your recipe?

-O

Zekk Pacus
June 25 2014, 08:06:09 PM
Good, light roasted South American coffee. Use about 20% more than you would when brewing for hot, put it in a cafetiere with cold water and steep it in the fridge for 24hrs.

56k, what's your budget? If it's less than £500, get some kind of pod machine. Tassimo or Nespresso or whatever.

Hels
June 26 2014, 03:04:12 AM
Good, light roasted South American coffee. Use about 20% more than you would when brewing for hot, put it in a cafetiere with cold water and steep it in the fridge for 24hrs.

56k, what's your budget? If it's less than £500, get some kind of pod machine. Tassimo or Nespresso or whatever.

8oz of coffee per Gallon.
1oz of coffee is about 1/3 a cup.
I usually go for coffee house roast, medium that is.

Steep in cold water for about 16 hours.
Strain it.
Put it in a big pitcher and chill in fridge. Drink over ice, small amount of cream if that's your thing.

Stoffl
June 26 2014, 05:12:10 AM

lolwtf Zekk, rly ? A pod machine ?
>Implying he can't get a good machine + grinder for <500

Hell even 300pound would be more than enough...

@Lagman just google a bit for portafilter espresso machine recommendations

Zekk Pacus
June 26 2014, 08:06:20 AM
I'm not implying that, I'm outright saying it.

Sabotaged by Aurocorrect

cullnean
June 26 2014, 08:14:47 AM
Gaggia machine you faggots

Smuggo
June 26 2014, 09:58:49 AM
I just have a kettle, a spoon and nescafe gold blend. Suits me fine.

Stoffl
June 26 2014, 10:24:56 AM

Sabotaged by Aurocorrect

Zekk - Im the espresso equivalent of an audiophile twerp - Pacus

"Either get 20$ active speakers or a Funktion One PA - NO MIDDLE GROUND"

Lallante
June 26 2014, 10:27:14 AM

I once drank 3 Lavazzas in a short span, was like being coked up with a side of IBS

so.... like being coked up

Lallante
June 26 2014, 10:40:16 AM
"Steeped" cold-brew coffee =/= iced coffee.

Iced coffee is normally prepared hot coffee (either filter or espresso-based), which is then chilled on ice. It may even contain milk. The worst kinds are bitter, flavourless shit.

"Good" iced coffee (and I use this expression lightly as it doesnt compare to the methods below) involves pouring good hot espresso made about 20-30% stronger than usual through a holed conical filter or other drip-limiter (holed because you dont need it to filter, just reduce flow rate to a drip) straight onto ice below. The advantages here are less ice-melt than just pouring the coffee onto ice, while retaining quick chilling. The result should taste exactly like good hot coffee but cold.

Cold-brew coffee (which I presume Hels and Zekk are both descripting) does not use hot water at any stage. Coffee beans, usually rough-ground (not fine ground like with normal coffee), in largish quantities, are steeped (either in a lidded pot or using a toddy system) in room temp or cooler water over a period of approx 12 - 24 hours (time period affects taste), filtered (e.g. french press or filter paper, or the filter integrated into the toddy system) then served on ice without milk. Results taste different (sweeter, less acidic, more complex) than hot coffee made from the same beans, and the chemical composition is different. I've heard some people add milk but IMO thats a waste of complex, delicate flavour.

An upgrade to cold-brew coffee is cold-drip, where a drip-coffee contraption (or certain Toddy systems) is used to ensure the right level of steeping, (again then served on ice). This is the ultimate in summer coffee experiences. It is the god-tier of the coffee snob's options. The best thing about cold-drip (and cold-brew) is that the aromatics released from hot coffee as smell, are instead captured due to the temperature. You can literally taste the smell of good coffee (and this is very much better and more interesting than just normal taste alone.

Most coffee shops dont ADVERTISE cold-brew/cold-drip coffee, because it cant really be produced in bulk or to order, but all great independent coffee shops staffed by proper enthusiasts will have a pot for regulars hidden away in the fridge they made overnight. Try asking.

Here's a particularly badass device:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Oji_Cold_Brew_System.jpg

56k Lagman
June 26 2014, 10:42:27 AM
My budget is €200 euro max. Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll have a look around

cullnean
June 26 2014, 11:04:54 AM
My budget is €200 euro max. Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll have a look around

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-RI8327-Prestige-Espresso-Machine/dp/B009CVSTTW/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

Lallante
June 26 2014, 11:17:23 AM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-RI8327-Prestige-Espresso-Machine/dp/B009CVSTTW/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

A lot of 2* reviews saying that it wont microfoam milk, is very slow and is cheaply made

Stoffl
June 26 2014, 11:41:16 AM
I'd say 150 budget for the machine and roughly 50 for the grinder give or take. At work I've got a saeco aroma, is ok and around that price range

*edit*
Oh yeah i meant €

Maybe http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-021-espresso-machine-cashes/dp/B0036DDGMC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403784044&sr=8-2&keywords=Kenwood+ES021

@Lall Imho the foam nozzle is mostly a gadget. Gotta clean it after every use, messy, etc.
Wouldn't really rule out a machine just because the foam nozzle isn't perfect.

Stoffl
June 26 2014, 12:05:28 PM
Oh yeah and depending on your water hardness I'd get a brita filter so the machine won't calcify to fast.

*edit*
Oh lol apparently the Saeco Aroma and Gaggia-RI832 is the same thing, just slightly different exterior.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saeco-RI9373-Siebträger-AROMA-schwarz/dp/B000EE22VM/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1403784831&sr=1-5&keywords=saeco

So +1 for cullnerd

Downsides: The steam nozzle started dripping after 2 or 3 years, the gasket is relatively cheap and can be swapped. I just put mug under the nozzle. :minmatar:
Apart from that solid and has been in daily use by 2-3 ppl for 5years.

cullnean
June 26 2014, 03:42:30 PM

A lot of 2* reviews saying that it wont microfoam milk, is very slow and is cheaply made
well played mate

5 star 14
4 star 15
3 star 1
2 star 7
1 star 4

Budget etc,

Its a good machine bought one for my folks also he will use as a an espresso machine

Edited for being overly aggro

Lallante
June 26 2014, 06:27:10 PM
cullnerd bestnerd

Zekk Pacus
June 26 2014, 08:40:05 PM
Shrug. I wouldn't consider espresso around that budget because I want a good steam wand and repeatable results, which are much harder to get at that budget - especially repeatable results, look at temperature surfing and PID modification to see what I mean. I own an Aeropress and a stovetop brewer, my espresso machine is for home-made piccolos and cortados, and to give me a practice outlet when I'm really bored. There are plenty of great coffee options around £200 - hell, go nuts on a grinder, a good scales, and a swan neck kettle and make the best Chemex/Aeropress in the world. I just think you're making compromises you don't need to make because you're focused on 'espresso'.

And yes, cold-brew is the only way to go. You reminded me about Toddy brewers...

Zeekar
June 26 2014, 08:43:13 PM
:psyduck:

Ophichius
June 26 2014, 11:42:44 PM
"Steeped" cold-brew coffee =/= iced coffee.

Iced coffee is normally prepared hot coffee (either filter or espresso-based), which is then chilled on ice. It may even contain milk. The worst kinds are bitter, flavourless shit.

"Good" iced coffee (and I use this expression lightly as it doesnt compare to the methods below) involves pouring good hot espresso made about 20-30% stronger than usual through a holed conical filter or other drip-limiter (holed because you dont need it to filter, just reduce flow rate to a drip) straight onto ice below. The advantages here are less ice-melt than just pouring the coffee onto ice, while retaining quick chilling. The result should taste exactly like good hot coffee but cold.

Cold-brew coffee (which I presume Hels and Zekk are both descripting) does not use hot water at any stage. Coffee beans, usually rough-ground (not fine ground like with normal coffee), in largish quantities, are steeped in room temp or cooler water over a period of approx 12 - 24 hours (time period affects taste), filtered (e.g. french press or filter paper) then served on ice without milk. Results taste different (sweeter, less acidic, more complex) than hot coffee made from the same beans, and the chemical composition is different.

An upgrade to cold-brew coffee is cold-drip, where a drip-coffee contraption (or Toddy system) is used to ensure the right level of steeping, (again then served on ice). This is the ultimate in summer coffee experiences. It is the god-tier of the coffee snob's options. The best thing about cold-drip (and cold-brew) is that the aromatics released from hot coffee as smell, are instead captured due to the temperature. You can literally taste the smell of good coffee (and this is very much better and more interesting than just normal taste alone.

Most coffee shops dont ADVERTISE cold-brew/cold-drip coffee, because it cant really be produced in bulk or to order, but all great independent coffee shops staffed by proper enthusiasts will have a pot for regulars hidden away in the fridge they made overnight. Try asking.

Here's a particularly badass device:

Cheers for all that. Question, I've got a cheapo 'Toddy' coffee maker as sold here in eagleland, it sounds more like what you describe as cold-brew than cold-drip. It's a plastic container that holds about 2.5L, with a removable felt filter and a plug at the bottom. You just fill it, let it sit for 12-24 hours and then pull the plug. Who manufactures proper cold-drip brewing gear and/or what distinguishes the two specifically?

-O

Lallante
June 27 2014, 07:44:17 AM
You are right that your toddy makes cold brew. Cold drip generally needs kit that looks like a mad scientists lab - you can buy it I think but most people make their own. The most important element is a lab-grade stopcock that can control flow rate sufficiently precisely to get repeatable results.

Heres what a decent kit looks like:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/hario-cold-water-coffee-dripper/

If you want to customise a bit more, heres how to make it. You'll order the parts from labware websites:
http://ask.metafilter.com/190112/How-can-I-replicate-this-cold-coffee-dripper-thingy-with-offtheshelf-components

You are aiming for a decent seal between components, especially the coffee at the bottom mustn't be open to the air.

Once you understand the core principles you can go nuts on crazy scientist glassware if you like (but its not cheap). Alternatively you could make a budget option by just looking for vaguely appropriate glassware on ebay and attaching a cheap burette or separatory funnel for a drip-limiter. You are still going to spend $50++.

PS: the kit doesnt need to be refrigerated - room temp is fine (obviously chill before drinking). If you fuck up the strength, timing, amount of ground coffee etc, remember you can dilute a little at the end. Preferable not to.

When I move house and have more space I intend to start collecting mad scientist glassware and makes something nuts just for fun

Ophichius
June 27 2014, 04:19:49 PM
You are right that your toddy makes cold brew. Cold drip generally needs kit that looks like a mad scientists lab - you can buy it I think but most people make their own. The most important element is a lab-grade stopcock that can control flow rate sufficiently precisely to get repeatable results.

Heres what a decent kit looks like:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/hario-cold-water-coffee-dripper/

If you want to customise a bit more, heres how to make it. You'll order the parts from labware websites:
http://ask.metafilter.com/190112/How-can-I-replicate-this-cold-coffee-dripper-thingy-with-offtheshelf-components

You are aiming for a decent seal between components, especially the coffee at the bottom mustn't be open to the air.

Once you understand the core principles you can go nuts on crazy scientist glassware if you like (but its not cheap). Alternatively you could make a budget option by just looking for vaguely appropriate glassware on ebay and attaching a cheap burette or separatory funnel for a drip-limiter. You are still going to spend $50++.

PS: the kit doesnt need to be refrigerated - room temp is fine (obviously chill before drinking). If you fuck up the strength, timing, amount of ground coffee etc, remember you can dilute a little at the end. Preferable not to.

When I move house and have more space I intend to start collecting mad scientist glassware and makes something nuts just for fun

You ever get the feeling that you're staring over the edge of a cliff, about to take a disastrous plunge? Me and my wallet feel like that right now. I can already see this turning into a ridiculously expensive hobby.

-O

Cosmin
June 28 2014, 07:03:33 PM

I ferried my old Krups from my home country when I saw the updated version costs 400£ in the UK. Still makes awesome espresso.

iTap&talk.

Tyrehl
June 28 2014, 09:13:01 PM
Ok so hipster aside, can someone tell me more about the different beans and types of coffee? As in Robusta, Arabica (actually these are the only two I know and are most common), country of origin, brand etc. I need to buy some good grounded coffee, a proper big machine is out of the question.
I just have a Moka pot like this one

http://i.imgur.com/zgk8nL5.jpg

Produces nice, strong espresso. Love it :D but yea, I really need some good coffee and I have no fucking clue whatsoever. Used to throw whatever I find at home (was usually good stuff).

Aea
June 29 2014, 12:28:45 AM
Arabica is the good stuff.

Cosmin
June 29 2014, 12:50:07 AM
also Costa Rica or South America.

Sent via iPigeon.

Hels
June 29 2014, 12:42:59 PM
Robusta for espresso. Arabica for the rest.

Just Wikipedia it.

Zekk Pacus
June 29 2014, 02:28:34 PM
Actually, not quite. Robusta is easier to grow, a hardier plant, has more caffeine and a higher oil content (meaning better crema on your espresso). However 100% Robusta will be very bitter. MOST espresso nerds will tell you 100% Arabica or GTFO but there is some very high quality Robusta out there, and a 90/10 or even 80/20 blend can produce an incredible espresso.

Growing region isn't a hard and fast guide and the eventual taste can depend on factors such as altitude, washing method, amount of rain and even what the coffee was stored in. In general, though:

-African coffees are very floral, with balanced acidity and a medium body. Floral and citrus notes dominate.

-South American coffees are very light on the body and high acidity. Notes like cocoa and hazlenut are common. I don't like South American coffee for anything but filter, but there are gems amongst the dross - Union Roasters have a great Honduran right now.

-Pacific Rim and Asian coffees are very heavy on body, and flavours like treacle and other heavy, almost earthen flavours dominate. Think a good peaty Islay single malt and you're around there.

For a moka pot, in general anything recommended for Espresso will do the job. If you get serious, look into getting a grinder and buying whole bean.

Cosmin
July 1 2014, 05:44:35 PM
Obligatory photos I promised a while ago.

Current filter coffee
http://i.imgur.com/JQ2MIMH.jpg

Current espresso coffee
http://i.imgur.com/gD6LYOC.jpg

Yeah, I'm using the double dose thingie
http://i.imgur.com/qMeCh8E.jpg

End-result latte
http://i.imgur.com/sw9rc98.jpg

The machine
http://i.imgur.com/KtStGTs.jpg

XenosisReaper
July 5 2014, 10:12:57 PM
Coffee shop I used to work at/live at has some kind of new Kenyan blend in, proper noice

56k Lagman
July 11 2014, 10:07:49 AM
I'm drinking some Union shit from the yanks and it's fucking good man I'm telling you. I told gf to get me something coffee related for my birthday next month so hopefully she gets me domrthign really fucking cookl

Ted Breakers
July 11 2014, 12:21:43 PM

Sabotaged by Aurocorrect

Zekk - Im the espresso equivalent of an audiophile twerp - Pacus

"Either get 20$ active speakers or a Funktion One PA - NO MIDDLE GROUND"

Funktion One are fucking shite! Thunder Ridge or bust.

Nespresso is surprisingly good ^^

Tyrehl
July 11 2014, 05:21:03 PM
How much coffee do you all drink on normal (office etc) days, im starting to get worried about my consumption. :s coffee never had a serious effect on me but holding onto the hot mug full of black goodness has a calming effect on me, I feel like I can actually speak out loud enough (in the morning) and I can concentrate while taking a sip.

:companioncube:

FatFreddy
July 11 2014, 05:22:05 PM
but holding onto the hot mug full of black goodness has a calming effect on me, I feel like I can actually speak out loud enough (in the morning) and I can concentrate while taking a sip.

don't worry, just take up smoking - goes along great!

cullnean
July 11 2014, 05:38:13 PM
but holding onto the hot mug full of black goodness has a calming effect on me, I feel like I can actually speak out loud enough (in the morning) and I can concentrate while taking a sip.

Word.

Zeekar
July 12 2014, 02:12:57 PM
How much coffee do you all drink on normal (office etc) days, im starting to get worried about my consumption. :s coffee never had a serious effect on me but holding onto the hot mug full of black goodness has a calming effect on me, I feel like I can actually speak out loud enough (in the morning) and I can concentrate while taking a sip.

1 large cup ( 2 dcl ) in the morning and 2 espresso shots during the day.

XenosisReaper
July 12 2014, 02:29:46 PM

Word.

Jelp

Double cortado in the morning, along with a red bull if I didn't sleep enough, at least 2 coffees at work, double cortado at lunch, another coffee at work and then maybe a latte or something after work

I should probably say that I hang out in the same coffee shop for morning, lunch and after work so that might be why I drink so much coffee

After that it's 2 or 3 pints at the pub and then home.

(Along with between 10 and 20 cigarettes a day)

I'm probably going to die relatively soon, at least I eat sorta healthy and exercise I guess

cullnean
July 12 2014, 04:00:37 PM
See I don't get using caffeine for a boost, glucose drinks like Lucozade do it much better and for longer

Zeekar
July 12 2014, 04:18:26 PM
See I don't get using caffeine for a boost, glucose drinks like Lucozade do it much better and for longer

fatty

Keckers
July 13 2014, 10:25:10 AM
I replaced morning coffee with an apple, I actually prefer it. I've stopped drinking much coffee at work too and instead get through 5-6 pints of a water. Instead of drinking coffee as a crutch during the day I find I actually enjoy it much more.

Cosmin
July 13 2014, 11:02:32 PM
If you drink a lot of coffee most likely you've developed tolerance to it so larger quantities are needed for the same effect. On weekends lay off the caffeine, then reduce it in quiet weeks at work. It is much better to get a huge boost on an espresso than to have to have five and barely feel them.

I quit sugar in drinks a long time ago and managed to not get (too) fat. They're extremely bad. Yeah I drink plenty of Coke Zero or Monster Zero, but no more sugar. Coffee goes great with a bit of honey or just sweetner.

Sent via iPigeon.

56k Lagman
July 15 2014, 10:04:27 AM
Coke and monster zero are fucking shit, drink water

Lallante
July 15 2014, 10:14:24 AM

Caffeine improves memory, focus and concentration. Glucose does the literal opposite. A Coffee without milk is like 20 calories. A Lucozade without milk is 300.

Lallante
July 15 2014, 10:16:04 AM
If you drink a lot of coffee most likely you've developed tolerance to it so larger quantities are needed for the same effect. On weekends lay off the caffeine, then reduce it in quiet weeks at work. It is much better to get a huge boost on an espresso than to have to have five and barely feel them.

I quit sugar in drinks a long time ago and managed to not get (too) fat. They're extremely bad. Yeah I drink plenty of Coke Zero or Monster Zero, but no more sugar. Coffee goes great with a bit of honey or just sweetner.

Sent via iPigeon.

The artificial sweeteners in coke zero and monster zero are incredibly, horribly bad for you. Only fatties "stay up all night" basement nerds drink that shit.

Smuggo
July 15 2014, 10:56:00 AM
Ughh sweetened coffee

56k Lagman
July 15 2014, 10:57:50 AM
Fucking coffee I swear to god guys I LOVE IT. Need more coffee lol xD

Hels
July 15 2014, 01:58:25 PM
It has gotten hot (30C for you communist pricks), time to make cold brew. Delicious cold brew. :3

cullnean
July 15 2014, 02:42:41 PM

Caffeine improves memory, focus and concentration. Glucose does the literal opposite. A Coffee without milk is like 20 calories. A Lucozade without milk is 300.

Ofc but it all relative to your calorific out put, office nerds don't require it.

56k Lagman
July 15 2014, 03:07:04 PM
Office nerds I swear to fucking god

Keckers
July 15 2014, 10:09:17 PM
It has gotten hot (30C for you communist pricks), time to make cold brew. Delicious cold brew. :3

I thought drinking hot drinks actually helps cooling you down on hot days or something?

cullnean
July 15 2014, 10:39:40 PM

I thought drinking hot drinks actually helps cooling you down on hot days or something?

Raise internal temp then sweat

Keckers
July 16 2014, 07:41:08 AM
Makes sense I suppose. I was given that nugget of wisdom by a rabbi at a cafe in the Jewish quarter of krakow.

56k Lagman
July 16 2014, 09:59:26 AM
Fucking rabbis I swear to god

Mordax
July 16 2014, 01:26:43 PM
I like the columbian beans.

cullnean
July 16 2014, 06:01:56 PM
Makes sense I suppose. I was given that nugget of wisdom by a rabbi at a cafe in the Jewish quarter of krakow.

its an old "empire" thing as well from when we were off subjagation the locals, still is in modern times, i drank a shit ton of tea in afgan and iraq

Zekk Pacus
July 16 2014, 07:10:18 PM
Tea is really good on hot days - coffee less so, especially hot milk coffees. Milk tends to make the pores close up and also clogs your throat.

I worked it out today, I drink 2-3 double espresso and at least 2 long drinks in a day. Normally cut all caffeine by 4pm. When I used to work regularly actually on a coffee bar, would normally drink 9-10 single espressos in an 8 hour shift.

FatFreddy
July 16 2014, 11:00:19 PM
lalalalalala dededeledeledeleleeee

http://youtu.be/-31_1iB_lwM

edit: k I just realised that the whole channel is musical foodporn :D

Lana Torrin
July 17 2014, 11:08:20 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/yezminvillarreal/coffeeshops-you-need-to-see-before-you-die

#16. That's my regular.

(Technically its not that shop as its not in town but the guys that own and run it started a pilot shop in town first thats a bit smaller but does exactly the same stuff.. I go to the one above most weekends though)

Cosmin
September 4 2014, 08:52:51 AM
So, stuff arrived at home, I'm not at home until saturday. Will count the days....

http://i.imgur.com/FTSgylC.jpg

Tafkat
September 8 2014, 09:03:06 AM
The artificial sweeteners in coke zero and monster zero are incredibly, horribly bad for you.
There is no credible evidence for this, FYI.

Calks
September 11 2014, 12:03:29 PM
greenbeans.jpg

Roasting it yourself?

Cosmin
September 11 2014, 12:37:28 PM
Yep. Did some yesterday, the result was mindblowing. Went for city roast and filled the house with awesome aromas all through the process. Did a filter jug and I'm still having some left over, it is much stronger than anything I ever tasted and I am an avid coffee drinker.

http://i.imgur.com/KRRzjFi.png

L.E.: roasting was done in a normal frying pan, no oil or butter, just continuous shuffling it so the beans get roasted in an uniform manner. I'd say not bad for my first ever home roast.

iTap&talk.

Smuggo
September 12 2014, 02:27:15 PM
I've signed up to this subscription coffee thing called Pact. Every couple of weeks they mail me one of their coffees from a list that changes depending on what fresh supplies they have sourced. Then you choose to get it either beans and grind yourself of pre-ground. It has been very nice coffee so far, though it is a bit expensive but since I only get a couple per month it doesn't work out too badly.

One thing I have noticed though is all these coffees really seem to have some serious wake-up powers. I usually sleep on the way into work but whenever I have a cup of their coffee beforehand I'm wide awake, and has a couple cups after getting home Friday last week and ended up still wide awake at 7am the next day...

Llewelyn Fawr
September 12 2014, 02:29:50 PM
I've signed up to this subscription coffee thing called Pact. Every couple of weeks they mail me one of their coffees from a list that changes depending on what fresh supplies they have sourced. Then you choose to get it either beans and grind yourself of pre-ground. It has been very nice coffee so far, though it is a bit expensive but since I only get a couple per month it doesn't work out too badly.

One thing I have noticed though is all these coffees really seem to have some serious wake-up powers. I usually sleep on the way into work but whenever I have a cup of their coffee beforehand I'm wide awake, and has a couple cups after getting home Friday last week and ended up still wide awake at 7am the next day...

Try micro grinding it then snorting a few lines!

Cosmin
September 12 2014, 06:48:00 PM

Do you know if it's frehly roasted? If it is, then that would explain the freakazoid effect, the stuff I did kept me wide awake for around 48h. Obviously had a massive crash and slept for 10h afterwards but woke up refreshed, unlike I usually do after having too many energy drinks.

Good stuff.

iTap&talk.

Cosmin
September 13 2014, 06:58:25 AM
Batch #2

http://i.imgur.com/Zpp3tdP.png

iTap&talk.

Batolemaeus
November 19 2014, 03:30:04 PM
I heard this is where the coffee snobs hang out.

I recently acquired a La Pavoni machine. It came in a terrible state:

http://i.imgur.com/q2XoBZv.jpg

Ban this sick filth!

http://i.imgur.com/qdBfReP.jpg

Yuck.

http://i.imgur.com/VraxENs.jpg

Getting there...

http://i.imgur.com/97t99FV.jpg

Assembled before polishing
http://i.imgur.com/WlOREyz.jpg

MFW the first espresso with the grind dialed in properly
http://i.imgur.com/A2TrnRj.jpg

Smuggo
November 20 2014, 09:51:24 AM
That is a nice coffee machine.

Lana Torrin
November 20 2014, 12:01:49 PM
I heard this is where the coffee snobs hang out.

http://i.imgur.com/WlOREyz.jpg

Maaaaaatte.. I have one of these on order. Was supposed to turn up today.

http://www.coffeeitalia.com.au/prodimages/S1C_medium.jpg

Batolemaeus
November 20 2014, 12:41:20 PM
It is, though not without its faults. You can't pull many shots with it at once and it has a nonstandard portafilter.

Certainly a looker though. Even if I sometimes prefer the simplicity of my Aeropress.

Also, NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ACGsNDITk

Lana Torrin
November 20 2014, 11:15:41 PM
It is, though not without its faults. You can't pull many shots with it at once and it has a nonstandard portafilter.

Certainly a looker though. Even if I sometimes prefer the simplicity of my Aeropress.

Also, NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ACGsNDITk
That's why I went with the elektra. It's supposed to have standard sizes for everything and a bigger tank (I had the 2 standing next to eachother, it's about 1/2 again). The only 'down side' is the leaver is controlled with a spring so you pull down to prime and then release and the spring pulls the shot. This makes it easier on my girlie arms but means you lose some feel in making the shot.

Tapaderpin

Batolemaeus
November 21 2014, 06:20:50 AM
Also sounds like a good way to break your jaw. :D

I went with a used La Pavoni Europiccola mostly because while I love my coffee science, I'm not at the point where I'm going to spend a grand on it. This used one cost me 250something Euros after repairs.

Cosmin
November 27 2014, 06:38:32 AM
So, on roasting stuffs. Finished my previous bag of Sumatra Mandheling that packed an uber punch even light-city roasted and moved on to the second bag that's Ethiopian Sidamo 2. Used full roast this time (2nd pop was a go), beans ended up a bit oily and dark brown, without going into dark roast. Brewing a pot now, expecting p. good results. The smell is overpowering, it can't even begin to compare with off-the-shelf coffee.

My advice, you guys have them fancy machines (I roll a Krups I've posted a picture off some pages ago), try getting some for them then report back. I'm using amazon.co.uk, search for rave coffee, there's a lot of green coffee for roasting there and the prices are p. nice.

I also used a city roasted sumatra for a couple of espressos, mind-blowing.

Cosmin
November 27 2014, 10:12:43 AM
So, managed to have some sips, it tastes like smoothied balls of a Pegasus. Omnom.

QuackBot
November 27 2014, 12:00:13 PM
That is a nice coffee machine.
I have a feeling this is to do with the machine though. Also, the threads i read are drivel, too.

Batolemaeus
November 30 2014, 09:09:59 AM
I'm not quite into self-roasting yet, but since I'm in Hamburg, I can go to a number of shops to buy fresh roasted coffee that is less than 12h old. It's one of the few perks of living in Hamburg...

Cosmin
November 30 2014, 09:50:18 AM
Fair enough. Just received yesterday a new batch of green beans, Costa Rica and Colombian. Yum.

Sent via iPigeon.

hugasertyku
December 9 2014, 12:46:12 PM
I'm not quite into self-roasting yet, but since I'm in Hamburg, I can go to a number of shops to buy fresh roasted coffee that is less than 12h old. It's one of the few perks of living in Hamburg...

lucky you

aurident
December 30 2014, 12:38:14 PM
Wow! Now I know the differences!

AmaNutin
December 31 2014, 04:00:13 AM
Planning on getting a chemex glass beaker, just do filters and grounds, I'm not a stickler, and limited space (and outlets) determine my kitchen applianceware.

Batolemaeus
January 2 2015, 04:52:22 PM
Dear Diary,

My trusty Hario Skerton hand mill is making worse grind with every passing week. Guess it is finally dying. :(

In totally unrelated news: I just bought a 300 Euro Barazza Pecision mill, because I lack self control and sense. How I manage to save up any money is beyond me...

I will be so disappointed if my espresso doesn't taste like heaven on earth after this arrives.

Hels
January 2 2015, 05:02:43 PM
I would do a FHC coffee/beer/couch crashing tour of Europe and drink all your dranks if I could. :3

Cosmin
January 3 2015, 09:50:57 PM
Spoilered for huge vertical size.

http://static4.lxdcdn.net/images/max/w/806/51bc22219753d2f1086127ae1bdcf59e.jpeg

Reano
January 17 2015, 10:26:25 AM
Normally depends on the amount we are consuming on daily basis. Currently what i feel is approaching things in a manner where it exists and also bothering its plus and minuses is a need of the moment always.

Pacefalm
January 17 2015, 10:58:27 AM
Senseo / milk / ton of sugar

u mad

Calgus
January 17 2015, 05:12:30 PM
Not much of a coffee drinker (not becoming like the rest of the office zombies needing a coffee to start the day) but do drink it when I travel. Best coffee so far was Vietnam with Vienna a close second. The worst has been Berlin where I must have really bad luck because 4/5 cafes served undrinkable drek.

shoki
January 19 2015, 01:35:31 PM
quick question: aeropress: yes or no?

Mashie Saldana
January 19 2015, 02:52:09 PM
This has kept me happy for the past two years:

http://www.mashie.org/hardforum/krups.jpg

Easy no mess Latte, works for me.

Batolemaeus
January 19 2015, 03:13:10 PM

Yes.

I still own one and use it from time to time. It's a nice take on the French Press and very nice to have when you just want a big ol' cup of strong, independent, black coffee.

Best thing about it: You can press directly into a big glass of ice cubes and have fresh, ice cold coffee. It's worth having it just for that.

Also perfect for travel.

//edit: Mashie Saldana is a fucking casual. Shun! Shun the unbeliever!

QuackBot
January 19 2015, 04:00:20 PM
Yes.

I still own one and use it from time to time. It's a nice take on the French Press and very nice to have when you just want a big ol' cup of strong, independent, black coffee.

Best thing about it: You can press directly into a big glass of ice cubes and have fresh, ice cold coffee. It's worth having it just for that.

Also perfect for travel.

Still want to carry me through shiva ex.

shoki
January 20 2015, 07:26:07 AM

Yes.

Also perfect for travel.

cheers mate
i'm nowhere near being a true coffee afficionado, but god damn i do like a good, strong cup of coffee in the morning (proper, turkish coffee, not the american style black water)

Batolemaeus
January 20 2015, 07:58:42 AM
You could also get a 35€ Hario Skerton mill in addition to the Aeropress and inhale the scent of fresh ground coffee before your get your cup of coffee.

Seriously. Pre-ground coffee turns stale and sour within a very short amount of time, and beans are cheaper!

Cosmin
January 23 2015, 07:39:48 AM
Unroasted beans are even better :)

Lately I've been lazy on making coffee and stuff simply because my cooker cover got explodificated and roasting coffee is a pain without one. Might get back in the saddle next week.

Ædward
January 23 2015, 08:13:53 AM

Yes, as already stated.

You should also get one of the stainless steel filters for it. Forget the paper stuff.

elmicker
January 25 2015, 11:08:53 AM

Yes, as already stated.

You should also get one of the stainless steel filters for it. Forget the paper stuff.

I bought one of these but they're a pain in the arse. The quality of the coffee isn't noticeably different but instead of cleaning the thing just being a matter of pushing the puck of coffee into the bin and giving it a rinse, you've got to precariously open it and hope the metal filter doesnt fall out into the bin with the coffee.

Stoffl
January 14 2016, 07:05:10 AM
So here I am, going back in this thread trying to figure out if the poster above is a bot and/or spammer(very likely - laying the groundwork there) - and run into this post again:

http://static4.lxdcdn.net/images/max/w/806/51bc22219753d2f1086127ae1bdcf59e.jpeg

Literally triggered as fuck.

THERE'S NO FUCKING WHIPPED CREAM IN A WIENER MELANGE FOR FUCKS SAKE ARRRRRGHHHHH HERESY ALSO AN EGG YOLK ? A MOTHER FUCKING EGG YOLK ? DO YOU THINK THIS IS A MOTHERFUCKING GAME ? BROWN SUGAR ? AM I HAVING A STROKE ?
(Also the whole thing about turks leaving coffee behind is a debunked urban myth. And the thing called "Vienna Coffee" doesn't exist. That's like a Großer Brauner and it comes as a double espresso, you add the cream/milk yourself)

Keckers
January 14 2016, 08:17:11 AM
I'm not sure I've ever had a coffee which I've not preferred black.

Cosmin
January 14 2016, 08:41:54 AM

THERE'S NO FUCKING WHIPPED CREAM IN A WIENER MELANGE FOR FUCKS SAKE ARRRRRGHHHHH HERESY ALSO AN EGG YOLK ? A MOTHER FUCKING EGG YOLK ? DO YOU THINK THIS IS A MOTHERFUCKING GAME ? BROWN SUGAR ? AM I HAVING A STROKE ?
(Also the whole thing about turks leaving coffee behind is a debunked urban myth. And the thing called "Vienna Coffee" doesn't exist. That's like a Großer Brauner and it comes as a double espresso, you add the cream/milk yourself)

Don't shoot the messenger, I usually go by my own recipes anyway. What one likes > tradition and/or infographs.

In other news, still roasting my own, developed a mild addiction to Ethiopian Sidamo 2 full roasted barely into dark roast. It is a pita at times since I only roast to last me one week and it takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.

Stoffl
January 14 2016, 08:53:26 AM
werst infograph 2015

Cosmin
January 14 2016, 09:48:37 AM
In other news, still roasting my own, developed a mild addiction to Ethiopian Sidamo 2 full roasted barely into dark roast. It is a pita at times since I only roast to last me one week and it takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.

Pic from today's batch.

http://i.imgur.com/oqVsjft.jpg

FatFreddy
January 14 2016, 11:08:57 AM
So here I am, going back in this thread trying to figure out if the poster above is a bot and/or spammer(very likely - laying the groundwork there) - and run into this post again:

confirming complete bullshit

Freddy Dare
January 14 2016, 02:20:13 PM
Fucking Bastards

I love a good quality coffee but the better the coffee the better the chances it's a absolute bastard of a migraine to follow.

I stick to sniffing coffee these days :/

Zekk Pacus
January 14 2016, 09:57:09 PM
As I said earlier in the thread, milk is for adding body and neutralizing acidity. Thus if you like a lighter bodied coffee with a bit of 'fizz' (for want of a better word) you probably don't want milk.

From my HTC M8M8M8

cullnean
January 15 2016, 12:52:47 AM
Latte erday

Sent from my 709v92_jbla828 using Tapatalk

indi
January 15 2016, 08:50:23 PM
As I said earlier in the thread, milk is for adding body and neutralizing acidity. Thus if you like a lighter bodied coffee with a bit of 'fizz' (for want of a better word) you probably don't want milk.

From my HTC M8M8M8

I don't necessarily like my coffee lighter bodied. I've honestly never liked milk in it - it might just be because I've always loathed milk, but we'll never know that.

Stoffl
January 30 2019, 11:57:06 AM
>Paging Zekk Pacus

Recommend me a cheap & cheerful french press for home use.
Or just go with Amazon reccomendation ?

Don't want to get another proper portafilter espresso machine just for home use since it won't be used much.
Afaik french press was the price/performance winrar and easier to use than a Bialetti ?

Duckslayer
January 30 2019, 12:09:40 PM
>Paging Zekk Pacus

Don't want to get another proper portafilter espresso machine just for home use since it won't be used much.
Afaik french press was the price/performance winrar and easier to use than a Bialetti ?

anything from Bodum?

Or go Aeropress?

Winged Nazgul
January 30 2019, 12:19:10 PM
>Paging Zekk Pacus

anything from Bodum?

Or go Aeropress?

Can confirm Aeropress kicks ass (typed while drinking an Aeropress brew).

Stoffl
January 30 2019, 12:24:30 PM
Aight thanks lads, TIL Aeropress >>>> french press

Stoffl
February 2 2019, 11:03:02 AM
Bought aeropress and graef cm 702 grinder.
Is noice.

Grinder is a bit overkill but I'll probably get a cheaper one 2nd hand and bring the graef into work for my delonghi Porta filter espresso machine