PDA

View Full Version : Mafiaheap Challange Round 11 Sign-up Thread: Who the fuck are you? edition

EntroX
June 4 2013, 09:02:50 PM
right, let's see how this one goes. role types will be the same as Round 9 with the slight differences. read on the second post on how this is going to work.

Team Mafia:
Consigliere
Framer
Godfather
Janitor
Mafioso

Team Village:
Bodyguard
Cab Driver
Courtesan
Doctor
Lawyer
Mayor
Paranoid
Sheriff
Sleuth
Vigilante
Normal Citizens

Team Neutral:
Amnesiac
Arsonist
Lunatic
Rival
Serial Killer
Survivalist
Witch

role descriptions here (this is an updated version from Steph's!) (http://pb.stoleyour.com/view/ac8b3b1c)

post here if you want to play, we'll start 24 hours after round 10 finishes and the first day will be 48 hours to give people a chance to show up.

Sign-Ups:

Zeekar
Steph
spasm
pratell
Cool09
inora aknaria
Varcaus
Nicho Void
Cheese nippels
dpidcoe
F*** My Aunt Rita
Bentguru
LarkinAlpha
Dr.Boomtown
Shaftoes
Nobody_Holme
Navigator Six
cullnean
Kilabi
Dark Flare

EntroX
June 4 2013, 09:02:57 PM
so how the fuck is this going to work?
i set up a forum at http://mafia.failheap-challenge.com/ and i will generate a certain amount of users based on how many of you are participating, the users will have a random password and random usernames. you will have to provide me with an email address you can actually log into because that is how you will be getting your password. you will get your role via a PM on that forum.

how are you going to handle day changes?
every different day will get a new thread, once the day finishes i will lock the thread and open a new one with the relevant information.

will roles be revealed upon death?, what about death messages?
yes, roles will be revealed unless the janitor scrubs the role off, death messages will be allowed

since the arsonist is an OP motherfucker unless your name is EntroX and everyone hates you, will it be night immune?
no, the arsonist will not have night kill immunity

can there be repeated roles?, will we know how many vanilla villagers are out there?
both village and neutrals might have dupes, the number of vanilla members will be completely unknown, if we have enough players then we will fill up the entire role pool, if we have insufficient players then what roles are actually out there from the neutral/village pool will be unknown.

are out of game communications allowed?
of course they are, but since you technically don't know who is who and what role each of you have then its up to you, i am a meta-gaming asshole and i am totally okay with you being one as well.

are we going to use quicktopic as mafia members?
mafia members will be able to see a different subforum (only by mafia members and the game master) to avoid ~unwanted access~

how will the town be able to communicate?
that is entirely up to you, you can use quicktopic or whatever you want once you gather enough legit members and you may reveal your actual identity, but once again that is up to you. lying is allowed and in my opinion encouraged!

what will happen once the round is over?
the forum database will be restored from a clean backup and the next game-master will take over the administrator user, i gladly help whoever is running said round to set things up and provide help if needed (forum wise, the game itself will be his/her problem).

can i set a signature or avatar on the mafia forum?
no, the whole idea is to make it as anonymous as possible, personal taste and tendencies could show there, let your posting do the talking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when will the day switches happen?
same time as in Spasm's game, just as FHC switches days so 19:00 EST

are screenshots, pastebins and copy&pasted IRC logs allowed?
yes, they absolutely are, the one thing that will not be allowed is posting pictures of the role you have (as in, your PM where your role was granted), this is just to ensure that the Mayor is legit.

how will i receive role action notifications?
you will receive a PM during the day switch with the result of your action, you will be informed if your action was successful or if it failed, i will not be sending you an email (but the forum will notify you by default i believe) even if you ask.

can you install tapatalk to make it easier to follow?
already installed, i would suggest making sure you disable signatures on it however~

what happens if the mafia kills X and the vigilante shoots X and the serial killer goes for X too?
that person would quite literally be triple-killed, all actions happen at the same time so if the vigilante shoots the mafioso and the mafioso is shooting the vigilante they would both die at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how will you combat those bastards who edit their posts!
not only post editing is disabled, post deleting is as well, only the game master will be able to edit or delete posts.

wont the regular players know i am mafia if my postcount increases but they cant see the post?
mafia usergroup is hidden and posts under the hidden forum cannot be searched and will not count towards your post count, so you are safe.

can't other players find me by checking my email on my profile?
you will not be able to see other people's emails via the profile, only send PM's

can't i be profiled via the online statistics at the bottom?
nope, its disabled, no-one can see who is online

what happens to me when i die?
you will be moved to the dead pool, you will be able to read the main subforum (as in, where the game goes) but you will no longer be able to post or send/receive PM's

Zeekar
June 4 2013, 09:13:50 PM
Since I started working I have a fair bit of time to post on FHC. Sign me up.

Steph
June 4 2013, 09:17:32 PM
winning

Cue1*
June 4 2013, 09:21:29 PM
Didn't lana have claim to next round?

the thing from the buzz buzz

spasm
June 4 2013, 09:28:53 PM
This game is still awful.

In.

Cue1*
June 4 2013, 09:31:09 PM
I'm still pretty certain someone else had this round claimed to run, since I always try to run the game right after Spasm's and told myself for some reason I couldn't. In I guess.

EntroX
June 4 2013, 09:31:44 PM
if anyone else wants to run it be my guest i guess.

EntroX
June 4 2013, 09:43:16 PM
updated the second post with more details

pratell
June 4 2013, 09:47:21 PM
This game is still awful.

In.

Cool09
June 4 2013, 09:54:03 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/rwswlt.gif

EntroX
June 4 2013, 09:59:27 PM
fixed a lot of grammar errors and WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT MEAN sentences on the 2nd post, added more Q&A's

inora aknaria
June 4 2013, 10:01:38 PM
Nice work with the sub forum idea. I think that will make things nicer. Also I'm in

Varcaus
June 4 2013, 10:09:33 PM
Lets see how it goes. In

Nicho Void
June 4 2013, 10:14:09 PM
In

Cheese nippels
June 4 2013, 10:21:28 PM
Sure, why not, I'm in.

dpidcoe
June 4 2013, 10:31:54 PM
are out of game communications allowed?
of course they are, but since you technically don't know who is who and what role each of you have then its up to you, i am a meta-gaming asshole and i am totally okay with you being one as well.
Unfortunately, it's insanely easy to verify that you are who you say you are in the game thread.

Signing up to exploit the hell out of it before everyone else figures out what I'm talking about.

Cool09
June 4 2013, 10:46:19 PM
Explain again how this separate forum will make it a better game?

A strong player here will be a strong player on another forum. Look at this last round: sure, we lyched cheese right away, but booms and DF (two popularly lynched players) are in the final 10.

Oh also: you should NOT be able to post once you die. Even if it is a one time "deathpost." That's a bad rule. I'll explain why: if you can simply dump all information that you know in a death post, then there is no reason for you to reveal info to anyone else. There's no danger of it being lost with your death. Eg. this game, Bent was forced to go out on a limb and trust a few people with his information, as he could not allow it to die with him. The village bloc was formed by taking risks, then verifying stuff after. If you can just make a deathpost then that risk is removed, which makes for a more boring game.

EntroX
June 4 2013, 11:18:48 PM

A strong player here will be a strong player on another forum. Look at this last round: sure, we lyched cheese right away, but booms and DF (two popularly lynched players) are in the final 10.

Oh also: you should NOT be able to post once you die. Even if it is a one time "deathpost." That's a bad rule. I'll explain why: if you can simply dump all information that you know in a death post, then there is no reason for you to reveal info to anyone else. There's no danger of it being lost with your death. Eg. this game, Bent was forced to go out on a limb and trust a few people with his information, as he could not allow it to die with him. The village bloc was formed by taking risks, then verifying stuff after. If you can just make a deathpost then that risk is removed, which makes for a more boring game.

easily doable, dead players go to the dead usergroup, they can read but no longer post.

updated the op with a few more Q&A's

EntroX
June 4 2013, 11:32:40 PM
dead pool usergroup created and permissions tested, read the 2nd post (at the bottom ATM) to see how it'll work.

Varcaus
June 4 2013, 11:33:45 PM

Entrox is just being a babbie. This might only change day 1 possibly and thats it.

Lana Torrin
June 4 2013, 11:37:21 PM
Didn't lana have claim to next round?

the thing from the buzz buzz

He'll no I said I don't have time to play again.

Tapaderpin v4

EntroX
June 4 2013, 11:42:04 PM

Entrox is just being a babbie. This might only change day 1 possibly and thats it.

how am i being a babbie :psyduck:

F*** My Aunt Rita
June 4 2013, 11:47:29 PM
Sign me the fuck up.

http://i.imgur.com/LqY6Bza.jpg

dpidcoe
June 4 2013, 11:59:51 PM

Because now you can go shit up the mafia threads with no repercussions?

It was sort of self-moderating previously. If you did something colossally dumb, and it was still dumb in post-game analysis, you stood a good chance of being lynched over it next game.

Doing it this way sort of takes the human element out and brings it closer to pure game theory, which just comes down to probability once the complex ruleset is sufficiently analyzed.

EntroX
June 5 2013, 12:07:06 AM

It was sort of self-moderating previously. If you did something colossally dumb, and it was still dumb in post-game analysis, you stood a good chance of being lynched over it next game.

Doing it this way sort of takes the human element out and brings it closer to pure game theory, which just comes down to probability once the complex ruleset is sufficiently analyzed.

while i understand that part of the argument, it has no co-relation to different roles on different games, it just carries something completely pointless from another instance into a different one.

also, updated player list.

(also dp reply on IRC you baddie~)

EntroX
June 5 2013, 12:09:22 AM
Sign me the fuck up.

http://i.imgur.com/LqY6Bza.jpg

reminds me of this:

http://i.imgur.com/sU1mHFr.jpg

Steph
June 5 2013, 12:10:53 AM

While this is true, anonymity also protects players from being grudge-lynched because of an honest mistake or a misplay resulting from a poor understanding of the rules. I shouldn't have to tell an EVE player that punishing new players for being new is a good way to ensure you don't have very many new players.

I would rather have a system that did not discourage new players from playing than one that discouraged retards from being retarded. Besides, even if usernames are assigned randomly, you'll always be able to spot the retards because they'll be the ones saying retarded shit.

EntroX
June 5 2013, 12:18:59 AM

While this is true, anonymity also protects players from being grudge-lynched because of an honest mistake or a misplay resulting from a poor understanding of the rules. I shouldn't have to tell an EVE player that punishing new players for being new is a good way to ensure you don't have very many new players.

I would rather have a system that did not discourage new players from playing than one that discouraged retards from being retarded. Besides, even if usernames are assigned randomly, you'll always be able to spot the retards because they'll be the ones saying retarded shit.

and that is why i like it, it means that observation will be key in spotting who is who and what they are up to, not to mention that you can pretend to be someone else by mimicking their posting style for added confusion.

i added some tweaks to Steph's ~role description~ pastie, updated the link in the OP

Lana Torrin
June 5 2013, 12:28:08 AM
I didn't even really read the rules until now. This is the worst fucking idea ever and even if I could play the next game I wouldn't. Lets take the current game. Darkflare is not posting. Drakflare usually posts like a motherfucker. This is a tell. What its a tell for I don't know because he seems to be on the inner, but its a tell that he has a role to me, and one he doesn't want to get killed for. This is how we play the game, by knowing the people you play with. If I wanted to play a mafia game where I didnt know the people I played with I could just fuck off to one of the hundred or so other sites that run hundreds of these things and sign up randomly, but thats not FHC mafia.

TL;DR: You have no fucking idea WHY we play these games.

Bentguru
June 5 2013, 12:30:22 AM
I'll play

Lana Torrin
June 5 2013, 12:32:49 AM
Fuck it, im throwing the other game.

This whole idea is based on a post I made where I said it was boring to play without a role. GUESS FUCKING WHAT. IT WAS A FUCKING COVER POST YOU IDIOTS. Jesus fuck stop making up shitty ass fucking rules based on lies people post in previous games AND WAIT FOR THE FUCKING GAME TO FUCKING FINISH SO WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT.

EntroX
June 5 2013, 12:39:15 AM
I didn't even really read the rules until now. This is the worst fucking idea ever and even if I could play the next game I wouldn't. Lets take the current game. Darkflare is not posting. Drakflare usually posts like a motherfucker. This is a tell. What its a tell for I don't know because he seems to be on the inner, but its a tell that he has a role to me, and one he doesn't want to get killed for. This is how we play the game, by knowing the people you play with. If I wanted to play a mafia game where I didnt know the people I played with I could just fuck off to one of the hundred or so other sites that run hundreds of these things and sign up randomly, but thats not FHC mafia.

This whole idea is based on a post I made where I said it was boring to play without a role. GUESS FUCKING WHAT. IT WAS A FUCKING COVER POST YOU IDIOTS. Jesus fuck stop making up shitty ass fucking rules based on lies people post in previous games AND WAIT FOR THE FUCKING GAME TO FUCKING FINISH SO WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_N5xixYcUNF8/TFLDCtArsyI/AAAAAAAAAEc/B7PbCz-AKmE/s640/SAndyVagina.jpg

Lana Torrin
June 5 2013, 12:44:37 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_N5xixYcUNF8/TFLDCtArsyI/AAAAAAAAAEc/B7PbCz-AKmE/s640/SAndyVagina.jpg

Well you managed to ruin the last game so have fun.

EntroX
June 5 2013, 12:48:20 AM
Well you managed to ruin the last game so have fun.

here is a picture of me trying to appease your sandy vagina

http://pics.stoleyour.com/36wyeru765.png

Varcaus
June 5 2013, 12:51:52 AM
Your bad at the game and you make the other forum so you can feel better about yourself. That's why your babbie.

Cue1*
June 5 2013, 12:52:29 AM
Yea, I can see already this game is going to be childish. I'm no longer in for this one.

EntroX
June 5 2013, 12:53:17 AM
Your bad at the game and you make the other forum so you can feel better about yourself. That's why your babbie.

i'll pretend that makes a lot of sense.

Yea, I can see already this game is going to be childish. I'm no longer in for this one.

based on what?

Nicho Void
June 5 2013, 12:54:17 AM
Word cannot express how fucking retarded each and every one of you are.

LarkinAlpha
June 5 2013, 12:54:35 AM
I'm willing to give it a try, since it opens up some possibilities for roles that could be interesting. (aka directly assuming another identity and knowing what they know that sort of thing)

That being said, I think it misses the point in some areas. I was also waiting till the other game was over before proposing mine, but that's not a big loss.

EntroX
June 5 2013, 01:03:50 AM

that's the point really (at least from my end)

I'm willing to give it a try, since it opens up some possibilities for roles that could be interesting. (aka directly assuming another identity and knowing what they know that sort of thing)

That being said, I think it misses the point in some areas. I was also waiting till the other game was over before proposing mine, but that's not a big loss.

and i'd be perfectly happy with suggestions, i want to see how this would develop, there's no reason to not accept changes here and there at the end of the day, it's not like i'm forcing either of you to play or to only play this way you know? (last part isn't only targeted at you Larkin), variation brings enjoyment here and there and while the whole "playing people you know" part makes sense but it also misses out a certain degree of obscurity that you could bring from playing with the same people, except you don't know who is who. i felt this would make it a bit more challenging but of course i could be wrong.

Steph
June 5 2013, 01:50:22 AM
I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore

EntroX
June 5 2013, 01:52:00 AM
I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore

i'm not sure either, while i find winding up lana amusing i am genuinely interested in how this round would develop from an observer's perspective, that is the main reason i'd like to run it. if many of you oppose it then i can just drop it and you guys can continue your cycle.

i am interested in Cue/Varc's claim however~

Nobody_Holme
June 5 2013, 02:02:06 AM
I was the one who called this game, but my comedy roles relied on using this forum, and comical grudge abuse.

Prior knowledge of at least some of the other players is essential for the way the game works, in my humble opinion, but meh.

Someone drop me a PM when this game is over, and I'll run mine over here at that point. (This is, in case you missed it, not a signup).

EDIT: Could you mebbe make the mayor rule definitive instead of worded to be abused while you change things. Yes, I know, it DOES make you dumb to fake it, but there are circumstances where a false mayor claim is a good strategy, and the rule doesnt clarify that beyond the being dumb, posting a faked screenshot of a PM is actually not allowed, in fact it implies the opposite, still.

Cue1*
June 5 2013, 02:14:47 AM
based on what?

Your immaturity in dealing with Lana(Lana is no better).

EntroX
June 5 2013, 02:17:55 AM
based on what?

well you should know me, i will respond like a retard if you shout at me like a retard, but fair enough its your choice mate~

Dr.Boomtown
June 5 2013, 02:21:51 AM
signing up

EntroX
June 5 2013, 03:15:25 AM
signing up

added you, somehow i missed LarkinAlpha too, sorry.

Steph
June 5 2013, 03:23:39 AM
I see this as no different from the people who refused to be involved in a roles-heavy game. Trox proposed a variation on the game that is different - and whether you love it or hate it, you can't deny that it's interesting if nothing else - and it seems to be polarizing folks to such a degree that some aren't even willing to give it a try.

My preferred roles-heavy style was met with similar resistance, and every single one of you fuckers came around once got into it. I'm not saying the same will be true with Trox's anonymous usernames, but it's a different way of playing the game that at the least deserves a test run. We might find it changes the game for the worse and that we hate it, but I think it deserves a try first.

Lana Torrin
June 5 2013, 03:33:58 AM
i find winding up lana amusing

No shit.. Also I was actually pissed off until you posted those pics. I still think the anonymous thing takes away from the game rather than helps, but you can run whatever game you want.

LarkinAlpha
June 5 2013, 03:46:15 AM

that's the point really (at least from my end)

and i'd be perfectly happy with suggestions, i want to see how this would develop, there's no reason to not accept changes here and there at the end of the day, it's not like i'm forcing either of you to play or to only play this way you know? (last part isn't only targeted at you Larkin), variation brings enjoyment here and there and while the whole "playing people you know" part makes sense but it also misses out a certain degree of obscurity that you could bring from playing with the same people, except you don't know who is who. i felt this would make it a bit more challenging but of course i could be wrong.

Same reasons as Cue pretty much. Also turn 1 tends to be fairly boring without prior and self policing behavior (see last game) as it's either all Abstains or just random accusations. In IRL games you can at least claim to have "heard someone over there move during the night" and it leads to interesting discussion.

But Like I said, I'm interested to see how it plays out and willing to give it a test run.

LarkinAlpha
June 5 2013, 03:48:48 AM
I see this as no different from the people who refused to be involved in a roles-heavy game. Trox proposed a variation on the game that is different - and whether you love it or hate it, you can't deny that it's interesting if nothing else - and it seems to be polarizing folks to such a degree that some aren't even willing to give it a try.

My preferred roles-heavy style was met with similar resistance, and every single one of you fuckers came around once got into it. I'm not saying the same will be true with Trox's anonymous usernames, but it's a different way of playing the game that at the least deserves a test run. We might find it changes the game for the worse and that we hate it, but I think it deserves a try first.

I was surprised how fun it was actually. I didn't give the first game a good enough run (aka I wasn't really paying attention until I almost got involved) but the second game was hilariously fun even after I was dead.

I think the roles heavy version works better at the slower pace, and the roles light works at the normal 5-10 turn pace of the regular game. Just different beasts and I think we've explored both to a decent extent now.

Shaftoes
June 5 2013, 04:59:33 AM
x

Cool09
June 5 2013, 05:20:20 AM
TBH I was looking forward to larkin's wh40k thing.

I'm fine with trying something new, but wasn't there some sort of order to who hosts the next game?

LarkinAlpha
June 5 2013, 05:29:29 AM
TBH I was looking forward to larkin's wh40k thing.

I'm fine with trying something new, but wasn't there some sort of order to who hosts the next game?

First come first serve really. I just ran one and I was pretty sure Cue wanted a turn, so I waiting on him before I posted. We've got a sign up thread for it now.

Nobody_Holme
June 5 2013, 05:40:17 AM

Okay, thats a valid point. Count me in.

Also, do people even read threads they post in?

Navigator Six
June 5 2013, 06:42:35 AM
Let's do this like buddhists.

edit: I'm also not terribly happy about the anonymous roles, but hey ho, let's see how it goes.

'trox, in your rules the SK wins if they're the "last survivor of the village" but the arsonist wins "like the serial killer, [...] if no one else survives". Which is it?

cullnean
June 5 2013, 08:14:44 AM
in

will have to change my post style

Steph
June 5 2013, 09:14:53 AM

edit: I'm also not terribly happy about the anonymous roles, but hey ho, let's see how it goes.

'trox, in your rules the SK wins if they're the "last survivor of the village" but the arsonist wins "like the serial killer, [...] if no one else survives". Which is it?

I can field this one since I wrote that bit.

I read those two sentences as being the same. What's the problem?

Navigator Six
June 5 2013, 09:50:06 AM

I can field this one since I wrote that bit.

I read those two sentences as being the same. What's the problem?

I guess it makes sense; it's just somewhat confusingly-worded. The first sentence of the rules says "the village wins if all the mafia members are dead", suggesting that "the village" is the same thing as "the team with Village roles in it". The Villager is described as "the basic Village role", which suggests the same thing. The SK isn't actually a member of Team Village though, so I guess they can't be the "last survivor" of that.

Lana Torrin
June 5 2013, 10:45:06 AM
based on what?

well you should know me, i will respond like a retard if you shout at me like a retard, but fair enough its your choice mate~

I shout at everyone like a retard. What pissed me off was the lack of waiting so we could discuss the major change in gameplay this will bring. I was going to skip this game anyway because of work but twice me saying I was bored in the other game came up and I was unable to defend that statement without giving everything away.

I'm childish, everyone knows it.

Tapaderpin v4

Nobody_Holme
June 5 2013, 02:03:08 PM
Steph, could you reword those rules for more clarity, some time? I'm happy to help by coming up with dumb abuse cases and fixes for said if you'd like...

EntroX
June 5 2013, 02:09:22 PM

i did some tweaking to the ruleset steph posted, i'll clarify that in a minute or so

based on what?

I shout at everyone like a retard. What pissed me off was the lack of waiting so we could discuss the major change in gameplay this will bring. I was going to skip this game anyway because of work but twice me saying I was bored in the other game came up and I was unable to defend that statement without giving everything away.

I'm childish, everyone knows it.

Tapaderpin v4

sadly it seems not everyone does, our love is unbreakable :companioncube:

EntroX
June 5 2013, 02:13:21 PM
also i'll give it 1 more day to see if we hit the 24 players mark since that way we can actually allocate all the roles, of course the more the better~

please let me know if your name is not on the list

Lana Torrin
June 5 2013, 02:38:15 PM
I will pay 50 +rep to anyone that works out who darkflare is and gets him lynched on day 1. (yes dark, if you want 50 rep you can hand yourself in)

QuackBot
June 5 2013, 04:00:11 PM
also i'll give it 1 more day to see if we hit the 24 players mark since that way we can actually allocate all the roles, of course the more the better~

please let me know if your name is not on the list
That i know of.

Toxic
June 5 2013, 07:21:34 PM
I will pay 50 +rep to anyone that works out who darkflare is and gets him lynched on day 1. (yes dark, if you want 50 rep you can hand yourself in)

Getting darkflare lynched is reward enough in itself. Challenge accepted!

If we can actually spectate that is.

LarkinAlpha
June 5 2013, 07:28:22 PM
One thing I want to suggest is to throw all the days together into one archive thread at the end, and make sure the OP is updated with actual forum names along with the assumed ones once it's all over.

EntroX
June 5 2013, 07:31:42 PM
One thing I want to suggest is to throw all the days together into one archive thread at the end, and make sure the OP is updated with actual forum names along with the assumed ones once it's all over.

hmm, i'll have to think of how to get that done.

LarkinAlpha
June 5 2013, 07:33:48 PM

Well if the threads are locked as a new one is opened, thread Merge should be easy. For the other one I'd prepare a list and just copy paste or prepare a hidden post beforehand and merge it as well.

Just don't want to lose anything fun that happens.

EntroX
June 5 2013, 07:35:10 PM

Well if the threads are locked as a new one is opened, thread Merge should be easy. For the other one I'd prepare a list and just copy paste or prepare a hidden post beforehand and merge it as well.

well, the idea for easy-mode new-round would be dump the DB and restore from a pre-game state.

i guess i could just delete the users and keep posts and move stuff to an archive subforum after merging.

LarkinAlpha
June 5 2013, 07:37:23 PM

well, the idea for easy-mode new-round would be dump the DB and restore from a pre-game state.

i guess i could just delete the users and keep posts and move stuff to an archive subforum after merging.

Ah, ok I see.

Steph
June 5 2013, 08:37:40 PM
Steph, could you reword those rules for more clarity, some time? I'm happy to help by coming up with dumb abuse cases and fixes for said if you'd like...

As currently written, what do they indicate to you is the difference between the arsonist and SK win conditions?

Nobody_Holme
June 5 2013, 10:32:06 PM
To be fair, they really dont show a problem there, theres other issues around, however.

Steph
June 5 2013, 10:39:39 PM
Ah, I misunderstood.

By all means, give 'em your best shot.

EntroX
June 5 2013, 11:15:14 PM
game will start tomorrow at 00:00 forum time, please PM me a valid email address if you are participating so i can set things up.

Kilabi
June 6 2013, 04:43:12 AM
Too late to sign up? If not, this is one.

EntroX
June 6 2013, 05:15:53 AM
Too late to sign up? If not, this is one.

game will "start" tomorrow, still plenty of seats available.

guys do please remember to PM me a valid email so i can set your ~mystery account~

Dark Flare
June 6 2013, 05:08:00 PM
im play

EntroX
June 6 2013, 09:49:40 PM
i will start prepping things soon, if you want to sign up go for it~

EntroX
June 6 2013, 10:53:52 PM
well, everything prepaired.

we'll play with 20 people, expect your PM's soon.

Nicho Void
June 6 2013, 11:21:01 PM
How do I log in?

LarkinAlpha
June 6 2013, 11:22:35 PM
How do I log in?

You have to reset the PW for your login.

Looks nice Trox.

Nicho Void
June 6 2013, 11:23:00 PM
How do I log in?

You have to reset the PW for your login.

Looks nice Trox.
Just figured that out, thanks.

LarkinAlpha
June 6 2013, 11:28:08 PM
Also Trox, if the Arsonist isn't kill immune, he shouldn't win ties over the SK. Just removing the line would probably work out, since if it gets down to the 2 of them, and the Arsonist has already doused the SK the last night is going to be hilarious...

EntroX
June 6 2013, 11:28:50 PM
just as a general note, i generated an excess of accounts to avoid ~guessing~ if i did things on a certain order, every user has a 16 character alphanumeric account as well so remember to reset your password to play, i sent you a link in FHC and as soon as you log in you should have a PM with your role.

Also Trox, if the Arsonist isn't kill immune, he shouldn't win ties over the SK. Just removing the line would probably work out, since if it gets down to the 2 of them, and the Arsonist has already doused the SK the last night is going to be hilarious...

errr, i fixed that but i guess i forgot to update it, my bad.

if it comes down to the both of them and the arsonist *does* have the SK doused then it *would* end as a tie since both actions happen at the same time (and the vote would tie), if he doesn't have the SK doused then the SK would win.

LarkinAlpha
June 6 2013, 11:29:42 PM

It's all good, just reading through the rules.

EntroX
June 6 2013, 11:33:19 PM

It's all good, just reading through the rules.

i kinda rushed that post, edited it for clarity.

btw as a notice, sadly i couldn't find a good red/black template so i used that one, maybe i can be arsed to tweak it over the weekend.

and you can log into that forum using tapatalk, just search for mafia rpg and it should pop up.

Toxic
June 7 2013, 10:16:48 AM
More importantly: Add the mafia-psyduck to the smilie list!

EntroX
June 7 2013, 07:19:44 PM
guys, since it seems everyone has already logged in i guess we could shorten day 1, there's a Poll on the OP of Day1, please vote if you are okay with shortening it, this will not happen unless all 20 players vote.

in the case that this becomes a shorter day please make sure to PM me your night action if you have any.

LarkinAlpha
June 7 2013, 07:44:40 PM
FYI Keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-b etc) do not work on the new forum.

EntroX
June 7 2013, 09:17:37 PM

that's because phpBB is awful

LarkinAlpha
June 7 2013, 09:29:01 PM

HA! Also I'm noticing a problem. FHC Mafia was nice because you could just check it while browsing, whereas you have to purposefully go to the new forum. I think that might be the biggest impairment towards using the second forum.

EntroX
June 7 2013, 09:32:22 PM

HA! Also I'm noticing a problem. FHC Mafia was nice because you could just check it while browsing, whereas you have to purposefully go to the new forum. I think that might be the biggest impairment towards using the second forum.

added a ~workaround~

LarkinAlpha
June 7 2013, 09:35:26 PM

added a ~workaround~

Ha nice. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

Varcaus
June 7 2013, 09:53:50 PM
Not browsing through settings or New posts /o\

Qwert
June 8 2013, 02:25:46 AM
If we do it this way again, it may be a good idea to assign all the users avatars. Maybe 26 different duck pictures?

EntroX
June 8 2013, 03:22:23 AM
If we do it this way again, it may be a good idea to assign all the users avatars. Maybe 26 different duck pictures?

now that's a missed oportunity, since we have 24 hours i guess i could do that :3

LarkinAlpha
June 8 2013, 03:32:08 AM

now that's a missed oportunity, since we have 24 hours i guess i could do that :3

Do eet, it's kinda rough telling the individual nondescript names apart.

EntroX
June 8 2013, 03:44:51 AM

Do eet, it's kinda rough telling the individual nondescript names apart.

this is gonna be great :twisted:

EntroX
June 8 2013, 04:11:35 AM
and done.

i picked those god awful avatars based on how the name sounded like btw, i kinda wanted to handpick a few ones to piss off the players but i figured that'd be a dead giveaway of ~certain people~ so i restrained myself.

LarkinAlpha
June 8 2013, 04:29:28 AM
and done.

i picked those god awful avatars based on how the name sounded like btw, i kinda wanted to handpick a few ones to piss off the players but i figured that'd be a dead giveaway of ~certain people~ so i restrained myself.

Those are AWFUL.

Perfect for FHC Mafia.

EntroX
June 8 2013, 04:30:51 AM
and done.

Those are AWFUL.

Perfect for FHC Mafia.

i know right!

i googled RPG avatars and found like a pic with like 30 of those, found the original site and started looking at the latest uploaded ones, they are fucking awful so i figured they'd be perfect

got em from here btw: http://www.faceyourmanga.com/

Steph
June 8 2013, 07:02:31 AM
Well done Entrox. Well done indeed.

Nobody_Holme
June 8 2013, 02:57:24 PM
Those are hilarious.

I'd have prefered to have ducks though.

Lana Torrin
June 9 2013, 01:21:41 AM
So, did darkflare die?

Varcaus
June 9 2013, 01:28:56 AM
Name should go next to roll imo

Lana Torrin
June 9 2013, 01:32:06 AM
I'm finding it hard to care about enough to read tbh. What with the not knowing anyone.

pratell
June 9 2013, 02:13:14 AM
anyone else notice we have 2 Janel?

I'm finding it hard to care about enough to read tbh. What with the not knowing anyone.

i don't know, maybe you should stop playing

Steph
June 9 2013, 02:23:19 AM
Name should go next to roll imo

Not until end of the game IMO. Otherwise you could use it to figure out who's who based on who's dead and that defeats the whole purpose of the anonymity.

LarkinAlpha
June 9 2013, 02:30:18 AM
So, did darkflare die?

Nope, that was me. ;-P

Actually we had 3.

Nicho Void
June 9 2013, 02:37:59 AM
Alert the authorities! Lana is bored. Repeat, Lana is bored. Shut it all down folks.

Varcaus
June 9 2013, 02:47:49 AM
So, did darkflare die?

Nope, that was me. ;-P

Actually we had 3.

We had 3 deaths mate

LarkinAlpha
June 9 2013, 03:19:48 AM
So, did darkflare die?

Nope, that was me. ;-P

Actually we had 3.

We had 3 deaths mate

And I was the one killed by the Serial Killer, I'll let you guess which one.

And since I'm dead Trox, I'm very unlikely to click over to the other forum to check up on the thread. Normally I'd be reading it as a normal thread here, but now that I've got no stake in the game, the extra effort probably isn't going to happen.

It's a good idea, and it's a good implementation, but I don't think it's going to stay on.

Lana Torrin
June 9 2013, 05:34:27 AM
First off im not in this round so wuite with the bitching about me.

And since I'm dead Trox, I'm very unlikely to click over to the other forum to check up on the thread. Normally I'd be reading it as a normal thread here, but now that I've got no stake in the game, the extra effort probably isn't going to happen.

It's a good idea, and it's a good implementation, but I don't think it's going to stay on.

This is what I meant. The effort involved in trying to follow whats going on doesn't seem worth it as I have no idea who is who.

Dark Flare
June 9 2013, 10:04:58 AM

This is what I meant. The effort involved in trying to follow whats going on doesn't seem worth it as I have no idea who is who.

It does make the game more balanced though as the sheriff can't create a bloc of known good players intentionally, which is what killed the last few games

Nobody_Holme
June 9 2013, 12:01:24 PM
DF does have a point.

I think perhaps an honour rule that sheriffs will use half their investigations on random people instead of strong players, and the same for any other investigation roles might help?

Any other ideas that sound less dumb than that?

spasm
June 9 2013, 02:40:27 PM
Anything on the honor system won't work. This is an eve based forum after all.

EntroX
June 9 2013, 04:47:48 PM

this, this oh so much

LarkinAlpha
June 9 2013, 06:43:30 PM

this, this oh so much

The No OOG honor system seemed to work alright, people hated it but they tried it.

cullnean
June 9 2013, 06:43:54 PM

this, this oh so much

Steph
June 9 2013, 07:24:12 PM

It does make the game more balanced though as the sheriff can't create a bloc of known good players intentionally, which is what killed the last few games

From the other side, the Mafia doesn't get to go "Oh hey that player is really good and isn't on our team, we should knock him out of the game on night 1", which is also good.

Navigator Six
June 9 2013, 09:25:23 PM

From the other side, the Mafia doesn't get to go "Oh hey that player is really good and isn't on our team, we should knock him out of the game on night 1", which is also good.

It can't be that hard to train up less-good players.

In before "Mafiaheap in Practice" subforum.

LarkinAlpha
June 9 2013, 10:17:30 PM

It can't be that hard to train up less-good players.

In before "Mafiaheap in Practice" subforum.

You mean this subforum?

Nobody_Holme
June 9 2013, 11:55:15 PM
You have a point about the honour thing not being much use, but then its better than having to go to another damn forum about it.

Also, having played for a bit, if I wanted to play with randoms, I'd go to another forum. And it wasnt hard to figure out who most of the people are, I'll not give out the method or details because its shit to do, but meh, its not like the more meta-aware players need MORE advantages. This is actually worse than playing on this forum, just requires a tiny touch more effort to abuse.

Varcaus
June 9 2013, 11:55:49 PM
In other news the witch is fun :3

Nobody_Holme
June 10 2013, 12:04:28 AM
Having read the day results now, i'm going with lets just start the next game now, this one, while requiring a login a day to do your role power, is going to take up very little time, and wont overlap with reads.

People can feel free to call me bad about it.

Lana Torrin
June 10 2013, 12:31:47 AM
Still against the idea of starting the next one till this one is finished crew checking in.

Tapaderpin v4

EntroX
June 10 2013, 12:32:12 AM
Having read the day results now, i'm going with lets just start the next game now, this one, while requiring a login a day to do your role power, is going to take up very little time, and wont overlap with reads.

People can feel free to call me bad about it.

yup, this is going an awful lot faster than i expected, and the results are making me laugh hard

tho starting it before this one is over sounds like a bad idea

Steph
June 10 2013, 12:38:29 AM
In general I'm not a fan of running games concurrently. That tends to lead to mafia burnout. Better to use the intervening period as cooldown-time.

Interesting subgame might be for the dead players to try and figure out who's who among the living players, and what their roles are. But that might just be me, and Holme seems to already have a method for doing that.

As for the anonymity itself: So far I like it. I don't know that I'd want to do it for every game, but I think it's interesting and different enough to be used occasionally.

F*** My Aunt Rita
June 10 2013, 12:52:47 AM
Interesting subgame might be for the dead players to try and figure out who's who among the living players, and what their roles are. But that might just be me, and Holme seems to already have a method for doing that.

As for the anonymity itself: So far I like it. I don't know that I'd want to do it for every game, but I think it's interesting and different enough to be used occasionally.

I don't even think the identities of the dead should be known. Because we'll have a list of who signed up and if we know who's dead, a voting bloc just makes it that much easier. Total anonymous immersion or nothing.

Nobody_Holme
June 10 2013, 03:13:50 AM

I don't even think the identities of the dead should be known. Because we'll have a list of who signed up and if we know who's dead, a voting bloc just makes it that much easier. Total anonymous immersion or nothing.

Indeed.

Kilabi
June 10 2013, 04:38:15 AM
I am trying to stay away from any meta-gaming to find out who is who on purpose. Thought about online-status and what not but went with "fuckit" more fun this way.

The totally anonymity thing really needs a special rule for inactives tho. Not even half of the players posting at all with the rest just throwing their votes in close to the deadline is just useless and has nothing to do with a game. Like people just join up to get randomly on the winning side to gloat with their elite sneaky play or something.

Steph
June 10 2013, 04:41:13 AM

Indeed.

Quite right, but you misunderstand. I was suggesting that dead players form a kind of peanut gallery, open only to dead players, where they try and figure out who among the living is who, and take guesses what their roles are. Dead players shouldn't be communicating with living players anyway, so the risk of contamination is negligible.

F*** My Aunt Rita
June 10 2013, 04:47:06 AM
I am trying to stay away from any meta-gaming to find out who is who on purpose. Thought about online-status and what not but went with "fuckit" more fun this way.

The totally anonymity thing really needs a special rule for inactives tho. Not even half of the players posting at all with the rest just throwing their votes in close to the deadline is just useless and has nothing to do with a game. Like people just join up to get randomly on the winning side to gloat with their elite sneaky play or something.

Mafia spotted.

Toxic
June 10 2013, 09:02:21 AM
$Kilabi

If he turns up village we lynch FMAR the following day!

:D

Kilabi
June 10 2013, 09:06:17 AM
$Kilabi

Blaming 2 confirmed villagers and pushing to lynch them both.

$toxic

Lana Torrin
June 10 2013, 10:33:23 AM
$Kilabi

Blaming 2 confirmed villagers and pushing to lynch them both.

$toxic

$toxic because this is a bandwagon we all know the result of.

Cool09
June 10 2013, 01:17:11 PM
Almost inactive checking in (with excuse!)

I usually mafia while jobs are running at work. The new forum doesn't have a work theme so I've got black/green theme with manga avatars, which simply will not fly. Therefore I'm relegated to playing on my own time at home, which is a bit more difficult to fit in.

Nicho Void
June 10 2013, 05:39:59 PM
Dead game is dead. Kill it and move on.

Sorry Trox, I thought your idea would work. The setup is great and adds a new layer to the game...but I guess FHC mafia players are more interested in killing high profile posters than actually playing mafia.

Edit: Remove the mayor role if you want in game discussion. The second he reveals, it's OOG powerblock time.

Navigator Six
June 10 2013, 06:16:43 PM
Yeah, I think we had a chance until the mayor showed up; it's a shit role for forum games. :?

cullnean
June 10 2013, 06:42:57 PM
Confirming mayor is op

spasm
June 10 2013, 06:52:59 PM
Make faking screenshots claiming to be the mayor the sole exception to the no screenshot rule.

Qwert
June 10 2013, 06:57:57 PM
Or we could just make the mayor die the night he reveals himself, with no possible way to stop it.

Kilabi
June 10 2013, 07:02:21 PM
Or find people who actually want to play the game. :P

The setup of the other forum is amazing though. +rep for that

Cool09
June 10 2013, 07:13:12 PM
Or we could just make the mayor die the night he reveals himself, with no possible way to stop it.

That won't change much, the last game the mayor died his first revealed night, yet the powerblock was already set up.

Cue1*
June 10 2013, 07:21:29 PM

That won't change much, the last game the mayor died his first revealed night, yet the powerblock was already set up.

It would mean the mafia wouldn't have to spend their night kill on popping the mayor. A better option IMO would be to make the mayor's reveal give the mafia two kills the night that he reveals.

:Tabletz:

EntroX
June 10 2013, 07:42:46 PM

It would mean the mafia wouldn't have to spend their night kill on popping the mayor. A better option IMO would be to make the mayor's reveal give the mafia two kills the night that he reveals.

:Tabletz:

or give mafia a counter to the fact the mayor is out?, say they can kill 2 people per night instead.

mayor gives the village a massive boost vote wise and organization wise

Toxic
June 10 2013, 08:09:06 PM
Give the mafia a role / rule so they can infiltrate the power bloc easier and in numbers.

Nicho Void
June 10 2013, 08:23:00 PM
In any case, I'm ending the game. No one has responded to PMs. The other remaining mafia hasn't posted a word since the day ended yesterday. With the mayor out, there is no way to win.

Steph
June 10 2013, 09:14:41 PM
Would restricting OOG communication to mafia only be a sufficient nerf to the mayor?

Kind of a halfway between anything-goes and the No OOG Comms At All variant.

dpidcoe
June 10 2013, 11:16:08 PM
You could just, you know, only have mafia/sheriff/doctor roles and avoid the whole "x role is OP" thing.

Nobody_Holme
June 10 2013, 11:26:23 PM
"X role is OP" or "I felt uninvolved"

Pick one, accept that you'll get it, move on. (personally, I like the roles, so fiddling a bit more to balance them would be nice, but meh)

That said, i'd quite like to see a completely role-free game that has nothing but mafia who DONT GET A NIGHTKILL, but it'd take far too long. (And if at least one mafia was smart enough, it'd be amazingly unbalanced)

cullnean
June 10 2013, 11:40:29 PM
Is the game dead?

Shaftoes
June 10 2013, 11:52:07 PM
Nobody is posting and the day supposedly finished an hour ago

Nicho Void
June 11 2013, 12:18:20 AM
It's over.

EntroX
June 11 2013, 12:27:22 AM
Is the game dead?

sorry, had computer problems.

also, why is it over?, neutrals are still around~

Nicho Void
June 11 2013, 12:31:33 AM
Good luck with that.

Lana Torrin
June 11 2013, 12:41:21 AM
It was my understanding if the mafia died before the SK and Arsonist managed to do their thing, the game finished with a village victory and they both lost. This is what makes both of them hard to play, that if one side or the other is doing quite well they need to disrupt to keep the status quo.

That, or the rules are once again completely unclear.

Nicho Void
June 11 2013, 12:45:27 AM
Meh, let them play it out. The three active posters will kill each other and then Trox will take turns lynching inactives until one remains.

EntroX
June 11 2013, 02:10:53 AM
Meh, let them play it out. The three active posters will kill each other and then Trox will take turns lynching inactives until one remains.

that's the plan.

Steph
June 11 2013, 02:46:00 AM
lol

Anyway the win condition for village/mafia with the SK/arsonist roles as I'd envisioned it should actually, if I'd bothered to hammer out a more explicit definition, be "village/mafia wins if the opposing team is dead AND no hostile killing roles remain".

I believe this is how Trox is interpreting it as well(yes?)

EntroX
June 11 2013, 03:24:44 AM
lol

Anyway the win condition for village/mafia with the SK/arsonist roles as I'd envisioned it should actually, if I'd bothered to hammer out a more explicit definition, be "village/mafia wins if the opposing team is dead AND no hostile killing roles remain".

yeah.

i mean, i do understand the point of group winning conditions, but technically there's 3 teams with this many roles, mafia - village and neutrals.

considering most of the roles in the neutral team have individual conditions and have certain degrees of immunity i believe that unless the unkillable roles (in this case just the SK) are still alive i think the round should still go.

the amount of dousings by the arsonist are unknown so maybe he can take down half the current alive players depending on night-time circumstances, who knows who and how many people the serial killer have killed and the other neutrals too, of course who knows which of those roles are still out there, i think that the fact the mafia basically gave up is silly but there's no reason to ruin the show for those who have been working hard to win.

LarkinAlpha
June 11 2013, 03:46:51 AM
lol

yeah.

i mean, i do understand the point of group winning conditions, but technically there's 3 teams with this many roles, mafia - village and neutrals.

considering most of the roles in the neutral team have individual conditions and have certain degrees of immunity i believe that unless the unkillable roles (in this case just the SK) are still alive i think the round should still go.

the amount of dousings by the arsonist are unknown so maybe he can take down half the current alive players depending on night-time circumstances, who knows who and how many people the serial killer have killed and the other neutrals too, of course who knows which of those roles are still out there, i think that the fact the mafia basically gave up is silly but there's no reason to ruin the show for those who have been working hard to win.

I'm guessing it was the back to back SK kills that did it to them. Of course I don't know since I couldn't see the Mafia section after Day 1...

EntroX
June 11 2013, 03:55:08 AM
lol

yeah.

I'm guessing it was the back to back SK kills that did it to them. Of course I don't know since I couldn't see the Mafia section after Day 1...

i'll post all actions done when the game finishes, as dead as it is i don't want to affect the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nicho Void
June 11 2013, 03:04:06 PM
lol

yeah.

TBH, it was more the complete lack of activity. You can't socially engineer a victory if no one is talking in game or out.

dpidcoe
June 11 2013, 10:20:22 PM
That said, i'd quite like to see a completely role-free game that has nothing but mafia who DONT GET A NIGHTKILL, but it'd take far too long. (And if at least one mafia was smart enough, it'd be amazingly unbalanced) Organize it into 5 voting blocks of 4 members each for a 20 person game. You know who your 4 teamates are, but you don't know anyone else. Goal is to vote out the other blocks while preserving your own.

cullnean
June 11 2013, 11:25:28 PM
Game just got flipped on its head

F*** My Aunt Rita
June 11 2013, 11:29:20 PM

Not really.

dpidcoe
June 12 2013, 12:58:57 AM

Not really.

Pretty much.

LarkinAlpha
June 12 2013, 01:00:29 AM

Not really.

Pretty much.

SK is probably going to win it. "Boo" to you too.

Steph
June 12 2013, 01:07:26 AM
That said, i'd quite like to see a completely role-free game that has nothing but mafia who DONT GET A NIGHTKILL, but it'd take far too long. (And if at least one mafia was smart enough, it'd be amazingly unbalanced) Organize it into 5 voting blocks of 4 members each for a 20 person game. You know who your 4 teamates are, but you don't know anyone else. Goal is to vote out the other blocks while preserving your own.

This would be a neat variant.

Nobody_Holme
June 12 2013, 01:13:57 AM
I was actually thinking of doing something rather similar with 5 sets of 4 mafia, no role reveals on death, and not TELLING people in advance.

Just to see peoples' reactions at the end.

Dr.Boomtown
June 12 2013, 04:39:46 AM
i think the other mafia forum is great and does remove a lot of the prejudice from the game, its just too separate and people aren't in the habit of checking it

dpidcoe
June 13 2013, 09:34:34 PM
i think the other mafia forum is great and does remove a lot of the prejudice from the game, its just too separate and people aren't in the habit of checking it
That's the entire point of the game. Otherwise it just turns into people voting on pure number theory. That sounds nice and everything, but you might as well have a computer play against itself at that point.

Bentguru
June 13 2013, 09:39:24 PM
That's the entire point of the game. Otherwise it just turns into people voting on pure number theory. That sounds nice and everything, but you might as well have a computer play against itself at that point.

it's not pure number theory, it just involves a more pure version of reading people's posts for mafia-ish tells. I actually kinda liked it.

Case in point, the SK absolutely wrecked the mafia that game because he was able to spot them. I'll be interested in seeing who the SK was.

Nicho Void
June 13 2013, 09:44:47 PM
The SK absolutely wrecked the mafia that game because the mafia played the first round like complete derps.
FYP

Navigator Six
June 13 2013, 09:45:00 PM

it's not pure number theory, it just involves a more pure version of reading people's posts for mafia-ish tells. I actually kinda liked it.

Case in point, the SK absolutely wrecked the mafia that game because he was able to spot them. I'll be interested in seeing who the SK was.

The mayor did a pretty good job wrecking it too: inviting everyone into the same quicktopic and then posting who those players are is a great way of setting up a target list.

LarkinAlpha
June 13 2013, 09:46:29 PM
The SK absolutely wrecked the mafia that game because the mafia played the first round like complete derps.
FYP

Really? Considering that I was the first round SK kill, you might want to clarify a bit more.

Nicho Void
June 13 2013, 09:54:02 PM
FYP

Really? Considering that I was the first round SK kill, you might want to clarify a bit more.
Pushing for lynching the Amnesiac day 1 was a dead give away. Easy call for the SK to kill Janel. Thao Boucher accidentally implying an individual win condition was also a really easy lynch for the village. Seems like a lucky shot on Hiroko Logsdon, but the first day 2 abstain vote probably looked suspicious.

LarkinAlpha
June 13 2013, 09:55:27 PM
FYP

Pushing for lynching the Amnesiac day 1 was a dead give away. Easy call for the SK to kill Janel. Thao Boucher accidentally implying an individual win condition was also a really easy lynch for the village.

I would have done the same as a regular villager or as a Neutral role. So not a "dead give away" more like "good target since no one else was willing to debate"
But for number 2, yeah, that was pretty dumb

Nicho Void
June 13 2013, 09:58:26 PM
FYP

Pushing for lynching the Amnesiac day 1 was a dead give away. Easy call for the SK to kill Janel. Thao Boucher accidentally implying an individual win condition was also a really easy lynch for the village.

I would have done the same as a regular villager or as a Neutral role. So not a "dead give away" more like a good target.
But for number 2, yeah, that was pretty dumb.
The village abstain play is designed to trap the mafia into doing exactly what you did. Sticking with dead give away.

LarkinAlpha
June 13 2013, 09:59:40 PM
FYP

I would have done the same as a regular villager or as a Neutral role. So not a "dead give away" more like a good target.
The village abstain play is designed to trap the mafia into doing exactly what you did. Sticking with dead give away.

Calling you an idiot, since I would have made the EXACT SAME PLAY from any other position.

Varcaus
June 13 2013, 10:07:00 PM
Serial killer cant be redirceted? Meh better than a village win

Edit: lol Guess not just read the rules. nvm

EntroX
June 13 2013, 10:07:06 PM
game over, roles and action revealed:

http://mafia.failheap-challenge.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17

he can be as long as you don't block his action, the day before you didn't die because you redirected him towards his actual target, but this time you "blocked" him by sending it back to itself, this is a role-block and equals a dead witch.

cullnean
June 13 2013, 10:12:09 PM
Burn motherfuckers burn

Steph
June 13 2013, 10:25:43 PM
Ha ha ha...so how about that moron amnesiac who day 1 revealed eh?

For the sake of post-game analysis, let me explain my(now obviously flawed) reasoning. I was thinking the Amnesiac was analogous to the Survivalist in terms of strategy of play. The early-reveal I attempted is a Survivalist play I've seen in other Mafia circles, and it's one I've seen succeed, hence I believed it would succeed here.

However, I made not one, not two, not three but a stupefying four errors.

1) I assumed that proven strategies in other circles would work on FHC. This is not the case; not because FHC is dumb(quite the contrary), but because it lacks the extensive metagame memory of communities that have played for longer. What I consider to be "best practises" may very well not be; they may only work in other communities because everyone knows they worked before in a kind of self-reinforcing bias.

2) The Survivalist is ACTUALLY neutral and has a win condition independent of either side. He can take a side later on, but only does so not to prolong the inevitable. The Amnesiac lacks this; in fact the Amnesiac is FORCED to take a side or else can't even win. This is similar, but from a village perspective not quite the same thing.

3) The Amnesiac investigates as Guilty. Ironically, this is a rule of my own creation which I now believe I explicitly added to differentiate Amnesiac play from Survivalist play. And then totally forgot about.

4) The Amnesiac lacks a bullet-proof vest. With a vest, a Survivalist is a big decoy for the Mafia kills, so the Village has an incentive to leave him alone in the hopes the Mafia will think it's a bluff and take him out.

So yeah. Pretty huge and embarrassing miscalculation on my part. Luckily, day 1 lynching the amnesiac in a 20 man game is functionally identical to day 1 abstaining in a 19 man no-amnesiac game. Worked out well for the SK though.

Nicho Void
June 13 2013, 10:54:40 PM
FYP

Calling you an idiot, since I would have made the EXACT SAME PLAY from any other position.

The results speak for themselves. You played it wrong.

:taptap:

Nobody_Holme
June 13 2013, 11:03:25 PM
<-- Thao in case anyone missed it.

I was writing that post as if I was a villager, and was going to vote for whoever until someone else came up with a clue, because I had about 50% of the village's real identities figured already just to see if I could (and thus ignore the point). The phrasing derp did identify a problem with the game type, though, in that i've made that exact same mistake on FHC before, and nothing came of it at all because it was so minor that no one cared, but with anonymity, everyone had their heads below the parapet and therefore no hope of a village win, and despite the day 1 mafia loss I was thinking "easy win unless we lose our investigation role, which i'm not, :effort: checking posts", which is foolish. Also, despite the "lets try this out" attitude I went in with, I failed that after day 1 and just went into "wait for next game", for which I apologise, although it didnt affect the game, happily.

Still, overall, despite the very nice work 'trox did on the forum, I think its never going to work. Either its truly anonymous (at which point why not play with randoms?), its semi-anon (people who're good at meta will win, and apparently everyone will hide and make it a boring neuts v mafia game), or its not anon at all, and well, thats what we normally play. Sorry :(

Nobody_Holme
June 13 2013, 11:04:55 PM
FYP

And here we have the first time a day 1 abstain worked even slightly, and out come the arguments saying its the best play at all times. Please stahp.

Nicho Void
June 13 2013, 11:21:47 PM
FYP

And here we have the first time a day 1 abstain worked even slightly, and out come the arguments saying its the best play at all times. Please stahp.

It was clear from the voting that the anonymous format was going to make the abstain play viable. In fact, the only attempt to criticize the abstain tactic in thread was made by me in an attempt to run cover for my fellow mafia.

dpidcoe
June 14 2013, 12:10:23 AM
It was clear from the voting that the anonymous format was going to make the abstain play viable. In fact, the only attempt to criticize the abstain tactic in thread was made by me in an attempt to run cover for my fellow mafia.
It also got you the first investigation.

LarkinAlpha
June 14 2013, 12:38:55 AM
FYP

I got killed by the SK, not the village. And I got killed by the SK because I was playing like DF, and guess who was the SK?

I also set up most of the Mafia to not be suspect (aka, sneak in if you can guys) which would have worked fine, but we had an idiot on turn 2 and you giving up on turn 3.

Speaking of playing wrong...

spasm
June 14 2013, 01:17:15 AM
At least I killed the survivalist, OP success.

Bentguru
June 14 2013, 02:03:50 AM
damn u spasm.

Dark Flare was the SK though?? Holy damn, he was not high on my list of people who could have systematically dismantled the maf.

Nicho Void
June 14 2013, 03:35:24 AM
It also got you the first investigation.
Only serves to reinforce my point.

BTW, I killed the only remaining mafia and outed myself for two reasons. Firstly, the other mafia member didn't post a single time on our last day and secondly, I was under the impression that a mafia loss = village win. I wanted to deny the victory to the neutral party that had so thoroughly decimated us. In retrospect, Trox's continuation made more sense.

Navigator Six
June 14 2013, 06:54:06 AM
Mafia getting SK's back. 8-)

It was a good effort (and thanks for setting it up 'trox), but I hope we don't do it again. DF, gief post-mortem!

Kilabi
June 14 2013, 08:29:59 AM
<--- Godfather

I tried the day 2 abstain and said so in the mafia forum to perhaps save the 2 mafia who managed to get voted on. If we would have lost those I did not see any chance to win it as I was 1 of lke 5 people actually posting.

And no, results never speak for themselves without a good reasoning because without reasoning the result could stem from chance and luck.

Dark Flare
June 14 2013, 08:52:19 AM

hi

Dark Flare
June 14 2013, 08:53:34 AM

Edit: lol Guess not just read the rules. nvm

If it were possible for you to win you would have been dead a while ago ;)

Dark Flare
June 14 2013, 08:56:47 AM
damn u spasm.

Dark Flare was the SK though?? Holy damn, he was not high on my list of people who could have systematically dismantled the maf.

I actually found it a lot easier to pick out the mafs without forum personalities clouding my reads.

I'm mostly surprised I wasn't lynched for not claiming a role to the Mayor at all. Rather fortunate.

Navigator Six
June 14 2013, 09:16:24 AM
damn u spasm.

I actually found it a lot easier to pick out the mafs without forum personalities clouding my reads.

I'm mostly surprised I wasn't lynched for not claiming a role to the Mayor at all. Rather fortunate.

With so many inactives there was never any pressure to lynch people who hadn't claimed. The first round Booms revealed he was mayor there was me, dpid, and whoever the cabbie was, and that was it as far as I could tell. We got the arsonist and someone else a turn later.

Toxic
June 14 2013, 12:26:57 PM
DorkFlare :companioncube:

Now do a writeup.

dpidcoe
June 14 2013, 08:09:29 PM
damn u spasm.

With so many inactives there was never any pressure to lynch people who hadn't claimed. The first round Booms revealed he was mayor there was me, dpid, and whoever the cabbie was, and that was it as far as I could tell. We got the arsonist and someone else a turn later.
Yeah, with so many people inactive I basically just didn't care anymore, to the point I think I investigated a dead person on the same night the arsonist set us all on fire. I couldn't remember names long enough to keep up with who posted what (avatars made it better, but only slightly). It also wasn't until the beginning of day4 that I had two villager names to tell each other about, and that coincided with the mayor coming out, so I never had any chance to do anything with a villager cabal.

Also, the rate at which mafia were getting whacked was making me suspicious that there were some kind of shenanigans going on.

EntroX
June 14 2013, 08:22:59 PM
damn u spasm.

Yeah, with so many people inactive I basically just didn't care anymore, to the point I think I investigated a dead person on the same night the arsonist set us all on fire. I couldn't remember names long enough to keep up with who posted what (avatars made it better, but only slightly). It also wasn't until the beginning of day4 that I had two villager names to tell each other about, and that coincided with the mayor coming out, so I never had any chance to do anything with a villager cabal.

Also, the rate at which mafia were getting whacked was making me suspicious that there were some kind of shenanigans going on.

no such thing.

as a matter of fact, darkflare would just spew me a name on IRC via a PM and just tell me to write "boo", so i figured i'd get creative.

Dr.Boomtown
June 14 2013, 11:29:46 PM
damn u spasm.

bunch of shit nerds didnt PM me their roles. on the first day i claimed only 2 people revealed to me, on the 2nd day i was revealed only 1 more person did

Nobody_Holme
June 15 2013, 12:01:54 AM
damn u spasm.

bunch of shit nerds didnt PM me their roles. on the first day i claimed only 2 people revealed to me, on the 2nd day i was revealed only 1 more person did

Thats about half the active players at that point, so nbs.

Kilabi
June 15 2013, 09:48:21 AM
Setup was awesome, game was useless. Tells us exactly nothing about anyone or anything except eve-vets are risk-averse trolls who should not play mafia games.

Dark Flare
June 15 2013, 10:48:00 AM

The only shenanigans were that I'm basically amazing

Cool09
June 17 2013, 02:54:50 AM
I couldn't remember names long enough to keep up with who posted what (avatars made it better, but only slightly).

This basically. Playing properly would require a spreadsheet to keep tabs who who is who. Then it's a game of probabilities. It's a game for fun, not worth booting up excel over (tbh we've all been there, done that).

Far more fun to 'read' members of the community who we've been shitposting with for several years.