PDA

View Full Version : Computer maintenance.

Padalad
May 12 2011, 10:20:01 AM
Hey guys,

So I'm building a new rig, first timer. Previous to this the only PC's I owned were store-bought systems. Now I'm upgrading to a rig I'm building myself do you guys have any tips or advice to give on keeping it running smooth? Especially things that I wouldn't really have to do on a stock-tower.

Specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Six Core 2.8GHz Socket AM3
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870A (Socket AM3) ATX DDR3
RAM : Ballistix Tracer 4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10666 (x2)
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 16MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6GB/s 8.5ms 7200rpm (x2)
Video card: Sapphire ATI Radeon 6850 Toxic 1024MB GDDR5
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Midi Case
Power Supply: Coolermaster GX 750W Power Suppply

Cheers for any help or advice.

spiralJunkie
May 12 2011, 10:27:52 AM
be ready to reinstall windows annually. that's about it

balistic void
May 12 2011, 11:07:16 AM
All air intakes on the case should have dust filters. Good cases will have this already, but some cheaper ones are missing. You can improvise one easily from a thin piece of foam packaging, just make sure it's not too thick and a decent amount of air can filter through it.

Open up and inspect fans every few months, make sure there are no build-ups.

ThonEney
May 12 2011, 11:10:28 AM
Check the fans once a month to see if they need cleaning, depending on how much dusty your place is you should need to clean them that much. Worth mentioning is to keep backups of important files you never know.

Padalad
May 12 2011, 11:12:51 AM
Cheers for the advice so far, I got in pressure gas with a think nozzle to remove dust from the fans, best idea or just use a dry cloth?

balistic void
May 12 2011, 11:26:34 AM
Be careful with air cans... If you hold it upside down liquid will come out. Getting stuff wet is not a good idea.

Loganbacca
May 12 2011, 11:51:29 AM
Be careful with air cans... If you hold it upside down liquid will come out. Getting stuff wet is not a good idea.
Had a mate who blasted clean his PC with an air compressor... not a good idea :facepalm:

And yea, definitely separate your data from your OS, preferably on a separate physical disc (which you can do with the 2 drives your getting, obviously), makes reinstalling Windows a hell of a lot easier. Other than that, get updated drivers, run disc cleanup every now and then, etc. etc.

EntroX
May 12 2011, 07:10:37 PM
And yea, definitely separate your data from your OS, preferably on a separate physical disc (which you can do with the 2 drives your getting, obviously), makes reinstalling Windows a hell of a lot easier

this, so much this.

i went full retard last night and fucking downloaded a ubuntu live cd to check if i had anything on my c drive (i forgot to do it before taking my old rig apart) to then realize AS i boot up on ubuntu that i am not (usually) a regard and i had it all on my 1tb drive :(

Tools
May 13 2011, 02:40:35 PM
It's relatively painless in 7 to reinstall your OS. If you're installing over an old 7 install (and if there's space, I guess) it dumps everything to a windows.old folder and you don't lose anything. This has lead to several "why the fuck is my hard drive saying it's full? I only just reinstalled" moments though.

Nowhere near as painless as keeping your OS and your data separate, but much nicer than plain losing everything.

Padalad
May 13 2011, 06:08:31 PM
Complete :psyduck: question but why will I have to reinstall my OS often?

EntroX
May 13 2011, 07:13:41 PM
because of falcon

fffuuu
May 13 2011, 08:16:44 PM
srs answer: because used windows systems start getting creaky and slow after about that long. hell if we know why. I end up doing it every 1-1.5 years.

Aea
May 13 2011, 09:13:23 PM
srs answer: because used windows systems start getting creaky and slow after about that long. hell if we know why. I end up doing it every 1-1.5 years.

Because windows is shit.

:notamacfag:

EntroX
May 17 2011, 05:41:20 PM

Because windows is shit.

:notamacfag:

depending on how much shit you install and uninstall, macs aren't any better.

kzig
May 17 2011, 05:57:43 PM
I've never found it makes that much difference. Are there any well-documented studies of performance degradation in windows?