PDA

View Full Version : Spacechem

Devec
May 10 2011, 10:35:59 PM
Just bought this yesterday on steam sale (still on and for only 7 euros) and I have to say it is absolutely awesome.

For those outside of the known SpaceChem is an indie puzzle game wherein you are tasked to make elements from atoms through the use of circuits. Eventually the puzzles will become harder and you are tasked to use several puzzle interfaces to complete a total production line. The best of all in this is that you are almost completely open into solving the puzzles leading people to completely differentiate with their solutions.

A short video showing the actual puzzle gameplay:
[youtube:duoe8y37]Gk8JwvtVs38[/youtube:duoe8y37]

TL;DR: Game makes brain hurt but is so satisfying when the solution is found

fffuuu
May 10 2011, 10:58:17 PM
yeah, you're satisfied with your solution. until you go on youtube and see the solution that does it with half the symbols, and 1/4 the runtime. :cut:

scoser
May 10 2011, 11:14:03 PM
So this is what Planetary Interaction should have been?

RazoR
May 10 2011, 11:26:33 PM
Science!

http://2ch.so/ololo/sci_1.jpg

zergl
May 10 2011, 11:35:24 PM
Fucking cocks putting it on discount literally a week or two after I bought it.

:|

(Though I bought it on the developer homepage for 15 USDORRAHS instead of the lol-EUR 15 on Steam, so the discount isn't that steep in comparison)

fake edit: FFFFFUUUUUUUUU $8 on the developer's homepage. :raeg:

vackris
May 11 2011, 12:15:01 AM
This game is so good, and I'm so bad at it :companioncube:

Devec
May 11 2011, 06:08:08 PM
yeah, you're satisfied with your solution. until you go on youtube and see the solution that does it with half the symbols, and 1/4 the runtime. :cut:

At some point you just gotta give in and enjoy your overly complex solutions even compared to the extremely clean and efficient solutions some people come up with :P

Straight Hustlin
May 11 2011, 08:41:46 PM

At some point you just gotta give in and enjoy your overly complex solutions even compared to the extremely clean and efficient solutions some people come up with :P

and at some point you will rage erase your setup because of something stupid you overlooked.

Anarius Faust
January 8 2012, 01:09:37 PM
This game is fucking awesome, my mind is already exploding like 10 levels in :/ Totally worth it in my opinion if you like thinking hard ...

Doomed Predator
January 8 2012, 07:27:57 PM
The defence missions piss me off so much.

kzig
January 8 2012, 08:06:00 PM
At least the second one isn't so bad - it can be done without using manual branch controls.

dpidcoe
January 8 2012, 08:47:24 PM
yeah, you're satisfied with your solution. until you go on youtube and see the solution that does it with half the symbols, and 1/4 the runtime. :cut: This was pretty much my experience playing it.

kzig
January 8 2012, 09:08:36 PM
You just have to pick up a lot of rather subtle things one at a time, and the more you know the more you can do. In particular, it isn't explicitly mentioned in the tutorial levels, but the red waldo always executes before the blue one if they both go over commands in the same step - useful if you want to create a long bonded strand as seen here:

Spoiler

Devec
January 8 2012, 11:38:22 PM
I think I'm still on the fourth planet or something, never managed to make it further. The things that piss me off the most are the missions where you get a certain percentage of particles which is totally random. Those are just brain hurting and the only way I solved it was through building a giant buffer.

fffuuu
January 9 2012, 12:42:33 AM
I, too, am still on the 4th planet. the optional mission and the last defense mission are giving me brainpains.

Raine Woot
January 9 2012, 03:01:56 AM
Still love this game to bits, little replay value after the first playthrough but jesus the satisfaction if you do it without cheating.

Straight Hustlin
January 9 2012, 06:52:13 PM
I, too, am still on the 4th planet. the optional mission and the last defense mission are giving me brainpains.

trying to jog my memory, Is this the one where you have to launch nuclear missiles using fusion reactors & starting with only h2o for input? Thats the one I'm stuck on, get the monster almost dead, 1 more missile needed, and my reaction chain breaks because the pipe is clogged with hydrogen.

mrki
January 9 2012, 07:08:44 PM
Got to the space station, then I got distracted with something else but eventually I'll come back and try to finish it. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but I can tell you when I first saw some of the levels I was like :wtfisthisshit.jpg:

Doomed Predator
January 9 2012, 09:09:30 PM
Finished the optional mission where you have to make H3P04. Would be a great help if storage tanks were available and not forcing me to lay down a ton of pipes.

Pyea
January 9 2012, 09:25:48 PM
Spacechem is excellent and well worth a go on the demo if you're unsure.

If you hit tab on the level select screen it shows you the stats for your steam friends on each of the levels, spent a few hours today fine tuning my old reactors and pillaging their scores.

I have a small stack of post it notes and a scruffy notepad with bond numbers, % and molecule diagrams on my desk for some of the later levels (read: middle levels). Combine those with the scraps of old eve notes and to the untrained eye you appear to have the ramblings of a madman.

kzig
January 9 2012, 10:03:19 PM
I think I'm still on the fourth planet or something, never managed to make it further. The things that piss me off the most are the missions where you get a certain percentage of particles which is totally random. Those are just brain hurting and the only way I solved it was through building a giant buffer.

Without going into specifics, another approach is to design your sorting reactor so that it doesn't fail while waiting for space in the pipe for the next output. With sensors you can build reactors that throw away inputs until the right one turns up, but these are very slow and best avoided unless you have a recycler available (or you really really want to use 1 less reactor).

Also, keep going- you get to play with fusion reactors on the next planet. A whole new world of :psyduck: awaits...

Devec
January 10 2012, 12:14:54 AM

Without going into specifics, another approach is to design your sorting reactor so that it doesn't fail while waiting for space in the pipe for the next output. With sensors you can build reactors that throw away inputs until the right one turns up, but these are very slow and best avoided unless you have a recycler available (or you really really want to use 1 less reactor).

Also, keep going- you get to play with fusion reactors on the next planet. A whole new world of :psyduck: awaits...

I think I solved one puzzle in that way but it made the entire machine incredibly inefficient, feels bad man.

Raine Woot
January 10 2012, 01:05:12 AM
Before long it becomes compulsory to design your reactors so they can safely pause at any step without manual interference should there be no input or no room to output. It was one of my favorite things to watch after I'd finally figured it out.

Xiang Jiao
January 14 2012, 01:30:54 AM
Before long it becomes compulsory to design your reactors so they can safely pause at any step without manual interference should there be no input or no room to output. It was one of my favorite things to watch after I'd finally figured it out.

I need to figure out how to do this soon but I don't want to cheat any more. I already peeked at one solution because I was stumped on the last stage of planet 2. I was trying to produce CO before converting it to CH20. Yes, I'm bad at this game. I take it this game has no basis in chemical reality as methylene (CH2) isn't a stable molecule.

Doomed Predator
January 14 2012, 11:22:11 AM

I need to figure out how to do this soon but I don't want to cheat any more. I already peeked at one solution because I was stumped on the last stage of planet 2. I was trying to produce CO before converting it to CH20. Yes, I'm bad at this game. I take it this game has no basis in chemical reality as methylene (CH2) isn't a stable molecule.Only thing real is the stuff you get from various extractors and what you have to produce. The rest is more or less impossible or way too unstable.

Mike deVoid
January 14 2012, 11:25:23 AM
I love this game but it makes me feel sick for some reason. Wierd.

Doomed Predator
January 14 2012, 02:24:01 PM
Before long it becomes compulsory to design your reactors so they can safely pause at any step without manual interference should there be no input or no room to output. It was one of my favorite things to watch after I'd finally figured it out.I'm not sure what you mean. You mean using the sync symbol or the pause symbol(never used that one before).

jbend9620
January 14 2012, 08:43:29 PM
i think he means combination of syncs and outputs to ensure the reactor waits to recycle when it can get input and succesfully output.

for me this is mainly accomplished by using end-of-loop syncs to ensure they restart their cycle at the same time.

kzig
January 17 2012, 09:32:24 PM
This is getting quite hard - I've reached the penultimate planet and I'm down to one level or less solved per day.

http://i.imgur.com/ptYVlh.pngThis one fuses 3 methane to 1 Nitrogen + 3 Flourine + 3 H2. It's the most complex reactor in
my solution to the Atropos station defence mission.
http://i.imgur.com/yEyrlh.pngI haven't quite grasped this one yet, but I'm sure it'll be easy once I can imagine what a working solution looks like.

Raine Woot
January 18 2012, 06:03:44 AM
i think he means combination of syncs and outputs to ensure the reactor waits to recycle when it can get input and succesfully output.

for me this is mainly accomplished by using end-of-loop syncs to ensure they restart their cycle at the same time.

This. When you combine it with bonding/fusing, you need everything in the right place at the right time or you might output junk that breaks the next reactor.

Doomed Predator
January 18 2012, 08:10:14 AM

This. When you combine it with bonding/fusing, you need everything in the right place at the right time or you might output junk that breaks the next reactor.
Well yeah, doing that is mandatory unless you want to punch through your screen from frustration. I thought there was something I missed.

I got to the space station and there I see the flip-flop symbol! That thing would be useful 2 planets ago! Also completed the challenge mission where you have to make 3 different silicon fragments. Only took 47.000 cycles.

omeg
January 24 2012, 04:57:32 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/24/smashing-atoms-in-spacechems-sandbox/

http://memedepot.com/uploads/1000/1148_1253230725640.jpg

mrki
January 24 2012, 05:10:51 PM
Heh, just came here to post that. brain.explode()

jbend9620
January 24 2012, 09:46:36 PM
i'm always a little scared to start this game because i'm afraid i'm going to wake up several hours later in a dark alley wondering what the fuck happened.

Raine Woot
January 27 2012, 05:02:54 PM
More like wake up at 4pm with keyboard marks on your face because you were being mindfucked all night but couldn't stop.

kyrieee
June 8 2013, 11:47:47 PM
THis game loool
It's like the fun parts of programming distilled, makes time fly

Varcaus
June 9 2013, 01:06:19 AM
dat necro

DaneJa
June 9 2013, 03:03:50 AM
I just realized that this game was added to one of the older Humble Bundles I got. Good deal.

kyrieee
June 9 2013, 10:04:46 AM
I'm annoyed I missed that bundle, would've liked the DRM free version meh