PDA

View Full Version : General Chat + INFO

Jalif
March 19 2013, 04:03:33 PM
Codename: Scrapheap Starships
Depending on backstory and how the game will turn out, the name might change.

Backstory WIP
The riches that could be found in an unexplored and untapped universe were immense. This lust drove the early space faring humans to expand their grasp upon the universe with unprecedented speed. A network of hyperspatial gates formed the lifelines of this empire, branching out from their home system Earth to smaller clusters of several systems. One of these clusters was Endeavour [working title], a rich and industrious collection of corporate colonies which soon proved to be one of the prime backbones to the ever expanding earthen empire. On a dark day the gate that handled all traffic in and out of the cluster performed an automatic emergency shutdown, separating Endeavour from the rest of the empire. The local factions scrambled to reactive the gate but it never came back online. The cluster largely dependent on outside planets for their food supply soon suffered mass starvations. But a small fraction of the total population survived and resettled on a few key planets. Leaving in its wake a cluster filled with abandoned colonies, spaceships and stations.

Years later as the surviving populace recovered and rebuild, the cluster slowly sprang back to life as interstellar trade picked up once more. The remnants of the old empire soon proved to be alluring to many. As shipping lanes reopened and remote locations became more accessible small organisations of scavengers went out to strip the old wreckages. It soon proved to be a dangerous occupation as the sites turned out to be not as dead on the inside as they had looked to be.

You are one of the newest recruits within [insert salvaging company here], a small corporation who takes on the most difficult sites and is growing out to be one of the top players in its field.

Info
IRC: #Studioheap @ irc.griefplay.net

Current Teammembers
- Jalif (Art & Design)
- Blutreiter (Sound & Music)
- Helgur (Coder) IF he will be back
- Devec (Art & Design IF we do 3d)
- DarkFlare (Coder)
- NoirAvlaa (Documents)
- VeryLoudly (Level Design)
- Snowdrake (AI)
note: Everybody is welcome in joining. I'm just noting down the names that have done something this far.

Our current game design document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PzkyB_avrdcPcJTgF7K4QqkHLeDvAp2805JM-PJspo0/edit

Github
https://github.com/failheap/Scrapheap-Starships

Jalif
March 19 2013, 04:07:26 PM
We got finally our own sub forum! Woot!

Blutreiter will make a thread regarding sound design and such. I will be creating threads all over the place :)

XenosisReaper
March 19 2013, 04:10:43 PM
Will be following attentively, however I can't contribute much beyond limited testing

Jalif
March 19 2013, 04:15:45 PM
@ Hulgur, would it be ok to post that prototype version of allegro?

Also check what Unity is able to do with just web-browsed games. There are 2 demo's regarding light effects that we are able to use for our flashlights and such.
http://unity3d.com/gallery/demos/live-demos

helgur
March 19 2013, 04:43:37 PM
Nice got our own subforum up and going \o/ If we need to make the irc channel permanent I'll drop an eggdrop in there for you jalif, just give me the word.

I'll do some more experimenting with Unity. I really, really hope we can code this at least in C# and not javascript, as javascript gives me an eyesore/makes my eyes bleed (seriously it is easier to work with someones Perl code)

Also, I'll post the build later today, need to sort out a few things before I can get back on this.

Jalif
March 19 2013, 04:47:31 PM
Nice got our own subforum up and going \o/ If we need to make the irc channel permanent I'll drop an eggdrop in there for you jalif, just give me the word.

I'll do some more experimenting with Unity. I really, really hope we can code this at least in C# and not javascript, as javascript gives me an eyesore/makes my eyes bleed (seriously it is easier to work with someones Perl code)

Also, I'll post the build later today, need to sort out a few things before I can get back on this.

Channel is already permanent, I registered it yesterday.

Unity can handle large amount from codes, as far as I read and remember it is java, c and python.

Sweet, looking forward to it.

Snottus
March 19 2013, 04:59:55 PM
This is cool

Kilabi
March 19 2013, 05:13:23 PM
Joining the testing-crowd. Canīt really help any other way right now but it sounds awesome.

NoirAvlaa
March 19 2013, 05:21:45 PM
Seriously need to start hammering out documentation. It's boring but try not to leave anything to the imagination of the coder. Absolutely everything should be designed in words first, makes everyone's job easier.

E - also talk to Saul about storyline etc, he's a professional writer who said he'd help ;)
Stahpatalk

Jalif
March 19 2013, 05:44:26 PM
SAUULLLL!!!

Jalif
March 19 2013, 06:08:01 PM
Help me out creating a folder structure. Give me feedback on how you want to see it. It is important we have all the same folder structure. Note that Unity has also partially its own way of working. However it can be all placed in the "Assets" folder. You will see it ones you have downloaded it.

[Within the Assets Folder]
Art

Sprite (All the individual sprites - all within maps)
Sprite Atlas (Sprites in one sheet ready to use)
Stock Files
Work Files

Code

Need Input here

Documents

No Submaps (atm)

Sounds

Need Input here

Blutreiter
March 19 2013, 06:17:28 PM
Help me out creating a folder structure. Give me feedback on how you want to see it. It is important we have all the same folder structure. Note that Unity has also partially its own way of working. However it can be all placed in the "Assets" folder. You will see it ones you have downloaded it.

Art

Stock Files
Work Files

Code

Need Input here

Documents

No Submaps (atm)

Sounds

Need Input here

./sound/
./sound/ambient/
./sound/music/
./sound/weapon/
./sound/player/

(for starters)

Jalif
March 19 2013, 06:47:45 PM
Art

Stock Files
Work Files

Code

Need Input here

Documents

No Submaps (atm)

Sounds

ambient
equipment
music
player

I changed weapons to equipment, sounds more logic.

EntroX
March 19 2013, 08:37:59 PM
this better include quackbot somewhere

Jalif
March 19 2013, 08:39:36 PM
this better include quackbot somewhere

we have a good idea for quackbot :)

EntroX
March 19 2013, 08:40:47 PM
good

Jalif
March 19 2013, 09:59:46 PM
http://unity3d.com/gallery/demos/live-demos#angrybots

Unity has a sample game which already contains the basics for our own game. Difference atm is that it is in 3d. So we will need to tweak that. Will safe us loads of work. Those who have understanding of that coding should check it out. As far as I know it comes along with the unity program.

Sirrush
March 20 2013, 12:18:12 AM
Yeah like I said before, only thing I've got experience with is QA, so I'll stick around for that when you get around to it.

Also I think this has been said before but don't spend time making pretty assets until there's a prototype system that you're all happy with. Don't waste/invest more time than you have to initially. And don't be afraid to throw something out if it's just not plain fun. Yes it can be a pain in the ass to see your work get shitcanned, but overall it'll make for a better game in the end.

But then again I guess you all know that.

NoirAvlaa
March 20 2013, 02:20:53 AM
Put me on QA, I'll throw some proper test plans together for people to work off once they're needed. Keep me updated (3 years games testing for Sony, lel, First Party, Format and TRC testing experience in it, ran temp teams for the leads a lot, learned every fucking piece of retarded dialog in White Knight Chronicles :( )

Mr Marram
March 20 2013, 01:33:20 PM
In before IP infringement lawyers.

Looks good so far though.

Jalif
March 20 2013, 03:06:17 PM
In before IP infringement lawyers.

Looks good so far though.

Because?

Also, only going to "worry" about that if we start making money with it, and we are far far from that. Not even thinking about it.

lubica
March 20 2013, 03:08:53 PM
I'd be willing to give a hand with storywriting and such. Atmosphere is important.

erichkknaar
March 20 2013, 04:50:51 PM
Haven't had much time, because of work, but I have started reading the Unity networking docs. Implementing multiplayer will involve syncing the data model through network views, which are basically observers that are attached to game objects. It should (lol) be a relatively simple exercise to convert a prototype to a multiplayer prototype. Unity (the company) has a free to use master server that will help with things like NAT traversal, lobby, etc, and the source code for it is freely available.

Longer term, some design decisions need to be made in terms of how multiplayer is to work, and what, if anything, needs to be hosted.

Jalif
March 20 2013, 04:55:54 PM
Haven't had much time, because of work, but I have started reading the Unity networking docs. Implementing multiplayer will involve syncing the data model through network views, which are basically observers that are attached to game objects. It should (lol) be a relatively simple exercise to convert a prototype to a multiplayer prototype. Unity (the company) has a free to use master server that will help with things like NAT traversal, lobby, etc, and the source code for it is freely available.

Longer term, some design decisions need to be made in terms of how multiplayer is to work, and what, if anything, needs to be hosted.

Go to the code thread. We aren't going to use unity for now because it doesn't support the light mechanics we need for our 2d game. Unless you pay for pro license.

erichkknaar
March 20 2013, 05:20:59 PM

Go to the code thread. We aren't going to use unity for now because it doesn't support the light mechanics we need for our 2d game. Unless you pay for pro license.

See response in said thread.

Jalif
March 21 2013, 10:48:00 PM
Progression is being made people 8) these skype call clear out a lot of stuff

Jalif
March 21 2013, 11:20:55 PM
So I'm going to check out that art style while Helgur is going to make a prototype to check out what is plausible and what is not. The rest keeps doing what they do and test their own skills. Lets hope that after the weekend we have a clear vision on how the game is going to look exactly

Synapse
March 24 2013, 01:29:50 AM
If I like where this is going I may join for bugfixing, coding and design. Thats what I do in RL I might as well do it here.

Blutreiter
March 24 2013, 11:57:05 AM
If I like where this is going I may join for bugfixing, coding and design. Thats what I do in RL I might as well do it here.

Hop on IRC mate. #Studioheap

NoirAvlaa
March 25 2013, 01:54:13 AM
In a week I'll have finished all coursework and so will have a lot more free time, at which point I'll probably start hammering out documentation(Because there is a serious lack of it so far). Anyone else doing this gimme a shout, we'll get together with Jalif at some point and work out a more concrete plan.

Jalif
March 25 2013, 09:05:52 AM
In a week I'll have finished all coursework and so will have a lot more free time, at which point I'll probably start hammering out documentation(Because there is a serious lack of it so far). Anyone else doing this gimme a shout, we'll get together with Jalif at some point and work out a more concrete plan.

I didn't have the time yet to write down the documentation, I did the stuff you linked me earlier and wanted to start to make a definite document about the mechanics that would be within the game and the design.

LoudSpeakly
March 25 2013, 10:00:12 AM
I would offer some help as a level designer, but it reads from the design document that you'll be randomly generating them.

Good luck y'all.

Jalif
March 25 2013, 10:02:58 AM
I would offer some help as a level designer, but it reads from the design document that you'll be randomly generating them.

Good luck y'all.

Yes and no.

We will be making the tiles (big ones with multiple rooms) ourselves and then let those tiles generate beside eachother. So if you know how to pull of level design then please join, you are welcome.

Rami
March 25 2013, 01:15:23 PM
After a random comment from Darkflare on IRC I bumped into this. I'm happy to stick my hand up for coding. I've got OpenGL experience and I've written a game engine before (although it was a MUD one) which I made around ~10k USD off over the years (spent it all by now sigh).

helgur
March 25 2013, 03:55:34 PM

Good luck y'all.

It will support random generated levels and manually created ones. For now though you have to edit a textfile where each tile is represented by an integer. Longer down the road I'll create a GUI level editor

NoirAvlaa
March 25 2013, 04:05:21 PM

Good luck y'all.

It will support random generated levels and manually created ones. For now though you have to edit a textfile where each tile is represented by an integer. Longer down the road I'll create a GUI level editor

Proper level design > Random.

Blutreiter
March 25 2013, 04:12:51 PM

Good luck y'all.

Proper level design > Random.

Take a note how Diablo does it (not the craptastic 3rd one) by providing several static maps for notable areas and important landmarks and generate the in-between randomly.

Landmarks in our case can be important ship structures like a reactor core, the docking bay where your shuttle is... and your shuttle itself of course. Can't really go wrong with random maps for replayability.

Saul
March 26 2013, 12:43:23 AM
Seriously need to start hammering out documentation. It's boring but try not to leave anything to the imagination of the coder. Absolutely everything should be designed in words first, makes everyone's job easier.

E - also talk to Saul about storyline etc, he's a professional writer who said he'd help ;)
Stahpatalk

SAUULLLL!!!

o/

Happy to help out with storyboarding, dialogue, plot etc, stuff like that, and testing should it reach that stage. I don't use IRC and I had kinda forgotten about this since posting in the other thread, but I'll keep an eye on progress in this forum and if anyone needs me feel free to PM etc.

I'll start thinking about expanding the rough concept from page one in the coming weeks. All suggestions welcome - in fact it might be better to have a separate thread so everyone can chuck ideas in?

Joe Appleby
March 26 2013, 02:16:33 PM
I'd be willing to give a hand with storywriting and such. Atmosphere is important.

As someone with a degree in English and no coding knowledge whatsoever, I guess I could offer proofreading and such things. A wee bit too busy with teaching, but anything that helps me take my mind off that is awesome.

Dark Flare
March 26 2013, 07:06:44 PM

As someone with a degree in English and no coding knowledge whatsoever, I guess I could offer proofreading and such things. A wee bit too busy with teaching, but anything that helps me take my mind of that is awesome.

Joe Appleby
March 26 2013, 07:13:25 PM

As someone with a degree in English and no coding knowledge whatsoever, I guess I could offer proofreading and such things. A wee bit too busy with teaching, but anything that helps me take my mind of that is awesome.

Shit happens, get over it.

helgur
March 26 2013, 07:15:29 PM
Hehe, offcourse. But it is funny though even if it is a bit on your expense ;)

Dark Flare
March 26 2013, 08:36:43 PM

apparently you didn't take a degree in being able to find humour in irony

Joe Appleby
March 26 2013, 11:42:29 PM

I am German, what do you expect?

lubica
March 27 2013, 07:55:54 PM

I am German, what do you expect?

iron humour

helgur
March 28 2013, 02:24:54 AM
iron humour

Eins, zwei, drei ACHTUNG HUMOUR!

Lana Torrin
March 31 2013, 02:30:53 PM
C'mon failheap.. I beliebe in youb

Arete
April 6 2013, 04:18:46 PM
Has the curse of the subforum struck this game pre-alpha?

Pacefalm
April 7 2013, 03:47:29 AM
Generally posts start to slow down once stuff gets subforum'd and the randoms stop seeing it get thrown in their face while browsing.

Doesnt mean there is no progress though.

Blutreiter
April 7 2013, 08:56:53 AM
We do make progress, but the stuff we planned to do on easter (free time!) kinda went all fubar, as people had tons of work and personal stuff to do.

Life happens meight.

Arete
April 7 2013, 10:23:30 AM
Life happens meight.

In the two indy projects I was a part of that failed, that's what was said at the start of the failure. The one that succeeded had a 'captain no-lifer' driving it forward (sup).

What your doing now is the fun/easy part. In my own experience, if you go more than a week at this stage without any coding being done then your project doesn't have the core people/stamina to run the marathon that is developing a game. That first round of bug fixing will break you, as its soooo easy to justify doing something else in your life than bug-fixing a little indy game.

Come on FHC, don't be part of the 99% of indy projects that fail. If you do, I will have to 'draw inspiration' from this idea next year ;)

Blutreiter
April 7 2013, 11:23:01 AM
Life happens meight.

In the two indy projects I was a part of that failed, that's what was said at the start of the failure. The one that succeeded had a 'captain no-lifer' driving it forward (sup).

What your doing now is the fun/easy part. In my own experience, if you go more than a week at this stage without any coding being done then your project doesn't have the core people/stamina to run the marathon that is developing a game. That first round of bug fixing will break you, as its soooo easy to justify doing something else in your life than bug-fixing a little indy game.

Come on FHC, don't be part of the 99% of indy projects that fail. If you do, I will have to 'draw inspiration' from this idea next year ;)

Thing about stamina is, I personally put in about 88 work hours this week, including easter monday.

Afaik, Helgur actually is coding but we did not update the forum yet. Too much real life with a core group of 30+ guys is different than with students for obvious reasons, but 2 thumbs up for trying to keep us motivated :razor:

Blutreiter
April 9 2013, 01:00:49 PM
Update on our current situation:

Jalif was struck down by RL (not rocket launcher) and will not be able to actively lead the project for the time being, which is why Noir and Me are currently busy dealing with that.

As Murphys Law would have it, before easter, everyone was hyped about getting shit done over easter, with the free day and so forth - and 3 core members actually getting wrecked and fuckall getting done. Welp, shit happens, life goes on. Irony is delicious and all that.

Despite all that crap, we are actually making slow progress. Devec is busy creating some static art for loading screens and the ilk, Helgur optimized the code for his client (which I tested and built yesterday - yes its running fine in windows as well as Mac) and I have more soundshit to work on and finish. Noir promised Jalif to check the designdocs again and start fleshing out the background.

We're not dead. Yet.

NoirAvlaa
April 9 2013, 11:51:51 PM
Update on our current situation:

Jalif was struck down by RL (not rocket launcher) and will not be able to actively lead the project for the time being, which is why Noir and Me are currently busy dealing with that.

As Murphys Law would have it, before easter, everyone was hyped about getting shit done over easter, with the free day and so forth - and 3 core members actually getting wrecked and fuckall getting done. Welp, shit happens, life goes on. Irony is delicious and all that.

Despite all that crap, we are actually making slow progress. Devec is busy creating some static art for loading screens and the ilk, Helgur optimized the code for his client (which I tested and built yesterday - yes its running fine in windows as well as Mac) and I have more soundshit to work on and finish. Noir promised Jalif to check the designdocs again and start fleshing out the background.

We're not dead. Yet.

C. Gonna actually print out the one he's got and write all over it. There's just something better about having it on paper. PMing Saul now.

Tajidan
April 10 2013, 09:24:03 AM
I have been delibaretly absent of this thread as i0m the king of starting something and not finishing it. Instead i would like to offer my assistance in drawing pretty things that hopefully keep you guys motivated.

Something else that crossed my mind is, can the main antagonist of this game be Quackbot? He could spew random quotes from his posts

QuackBot
April 10 2013, 10:00:09 AM
I didn't find an axe.

Dark Flare
April 10 2013, 10:17:34 AM
Please no, it's a worse, less funny, more overused joke than Derek was.

NoirAvlaa
April 10 2013, 10:30:14 AM

To be fair QuackBot is still posting better than most the people on here.

Blutreiter
April 10 2013, 12:16:01 PM

And that's saying a lot.

Quackbot will be featured in some way in the game, pretty sure about that. Makes an awesome easter egg, if nothing else.

Also Tajidan, what kind of art do you do? Pixelstuff/CGI/handdrawn? Gief link to examples.

Tajidan
April 10 2013, 12:30:31 PM
im currently in the finishing sprint of a project so i can't make a huge post but i can give you these links for relevant things i did while playing EVE. but i will definately post more in the evening.

My extremely empty deviantartlol page i made for the shipcontest; http://tajidan.deviantart.com/
and my extremely messy eve-files "gallery"; http://eve-files.com/media/corp/Tajidan/?view=gallery

and something more recent a splash screen for our gamejam entry; http://globalgamejam.org/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/screenshots/2013/StartScreen_klein.png

this is probably not a good overview of what i do but i will fix that in the evening

Dark Flare
April 10 2013, 12:36:38 PM

And that's saying a lot.

Quackbot will be featured in some way in the game, pretty sure about that. Makes an awful easter egg, if nothing else.

Also Tajidan, what kind of art do you do? Pixelstuff/CGI/handdrawn? Gief link to examples.

fyp

Blutreiter
April 10 2013, 12:49:18 PM

And that's saying a lot.

Quackbot will be featured in some way in the game, pretty sure about that. Makes an awful easter egg, if nothing else.

fyp

I want a rubber duck as improvised explosive booby trap. There is really nothing wrong with that, is there?

Tajidan
April 10 2013, 01:57:13 PM
http://imgur.com/xqG13Oh

another recent illu i made for our tabletopround

Blutreiter
April 10 2013, 02:05:46 PM
I would like some stuff like that for the design docs initially, you should probably talk to Noir to get things rolling. You will also want to talk to Devec if he already has some groundwork done on graphical stuff which you can use.

Tajidan
April 10 2013, 10:05:59 PM
Cool will talk to them as soon as possible, around the weekend most likely. I'd be very happy to support you guys to the best of my abilities, which is pretty much anything that involves any kind of art assets. Not so solid at all with modelling or animating but i'm learning.

Oh something that might also be of interest is this Battletech map i've made; http://i.imgur.com/QWXm5s7.jpg
And i'm sorry that i'm only posting a few links here and there but there's so much stuff and i have no idea where to start.

Blutreiter
April 11 2013, 07:12:29 AM
Cool will talk to them as soon as possible, around the weekend most likely. I'd be very happy to support you guys to the best of my abilities, which is pretty much anything that involves any kind of art assets. Not so solid at all with modelling or animating but i'm learning.

Oh something that might also be of interest is this Battletech map i've made; http://i.imgur.com/QWXm5s7.jpg
And i'm sorry that i'm only posting a few links here and there but there's so much stuff and i have no idea where to start.

Or you could simply join us on IRC, griefplay server #Studioheap

NoirAvlaa
April 12 2013, 12:17:50 AM
Ok blut I've messaged Saul with a list of things to choose from to work from. I've got a few questions for you that I'll be messaging tomorrow at some point that I need to know to start my end of the documentation. Once I get that down I'll start posting proper updates :)

Blutreiter
April 12 2013, 07:57:03 AM
Ok blut I've messaged Saul with a list of things to choose from to work from. I've got a few questions for you that I'll be messaging tomorrow at some point that I need to know to start my end of the documentation. Once I get that down I'll start posting proper updates :)
No probs. I will be at the office first, then lifting weights at the gym from 18-20 and I will be available afterwards.

I also need everyone to be available on skype somehow over this weekend, as a proper discussion between all contributors is long overdue and necessary. The last talks are 2 weeks back.

EntroX
May 4 2013, 12:01:14 AM
according to Helgur the git shit i set up is working, nag me on IRC for accounts

helgur
May 4 2013, 08:33:35 AM
It is :3

Why did you remove my admin privileges? Would be handy if someone else has access to do admin stuff on the repo

cullnean
June 2 2013, 04:44:22 PM
what's occurring gents?

Pacefalm
March 5 2015, 01:05:47 AM
good luck guy's i hope you make a awsome game!!

Dark Flare
March 5 2015, 04:10:47 PM

What this forum needs is more people trying to be Amantus/tH

XenosisReaper
March 5 2015, 04:55:16 PM

What this forum needs is more people trying to be Amantus/tH

I just assume they're all run by the same person now (which is saddening because I've seen th's IRL persona and he's pretty chill so I dunno why he tries to act like a spacker all the time)

Lana Torrin
March 10 2015, 03:09:31 AM
Assuming this project failed because we couldn't work together?

helgur
March 10 2015, 10:18:25 AM

It failed because people lost interest iirc vOv

NoirAvlaa
March 10 2015, 11:19:45 AM
So everything went as expected?

Moto G representing

Nicholai Pestot
March 10 2015, 01:14:50 PM

It failed because people lost interest iirc vOv

Mine failed because :children:

Spacedongues was going quite well until I ran out of time to work on it.

Equium Duo
March 10 2015, 07:47:38 PM
So as part of opur obligation to General Info, Both Unity 5 and Unreal Engine are free (Unity 5 is missing the Special Effects part for the free version).

Exciting times ahead?

QuackBot
March 10 2015, 09:00:15 PM
Well. At least, not to you.

helgur
March 12 2015, 12:00:31 PM
So as part of opur obligation to General Info, Both Unity 5 and Unreal Engine are free (Unity 5 is missing the Special Effects part for the free version).

Exciting times ahead?

I've been playing around in unity and blender a bit. But I CBA making anything playable in unity by myself.

Cool09
March 13 2015, 03:58:29 PM
I made a procedural action rpg map generator in source engine (alien swarm SDK). Then I realized source is 10 years old and shit compared to modern stuff.

Rewriting it in Unreal Engine 4 now. It's purrty.