PDA

View Full Version : Why not create our own game?

Jalif
March 15 2013, 11:30:02 AM
I see stuff as Stardrive, Minecraft, Prison Architect & FTL being build by just one (/two) person with complex mechanics & rather complex ai. Creating a game doesn't seem to be "difficult". The most difficult is to present/market/create a good idea.

Failheap contains a bunch of artist such as myself & pattern (pretty sure there are more). The amount of people that can code is in abundance as well. Beside that we have more then enough knowledge on this forum to have a game build from the ground up (and there are enough game engines we can build upon such as unreal, unity, crysis and source).

Nice thing is is that we have a rather large community that can make some publicity and test the game. If we ever need funding then we could always try the kickstarter way. Cause lets be honest, notting is really for free and people shouldn't design and code for free, period.

We criticise games like mad man and curse how shit some developers really are. How about we make a little team ourself and start building a simple game that we all can enjoy. Maybe something like a Multiplayer FPS so there would be no need for complicated AI's?

FatFreddy
March 15 2013, 11:30:56 AM
why not create your own face

also should this ever happen i will literally bake a cake for FHC

sorry ghost cake, doomed to exist forever in the what if dimension

Smuggo
March 15 2013, 11:31:32 AM
Fat Nerd: Battledome is go

Liare
March 15 2013, 11:49:57 AM
I see stuff as Stardrive, Minecraft, Prison Architect & FTL being build by just one (/two) person with complex mechanics & rather complex ai. Creating a game doesn't seem to be "difficult". The most difficult is to present/market/create a good idea.

Failheap contains a bunch of artist such as myself & pattern (pretty sure there are more). The amount of people that can code is in abundance as well. Beside that we have more then enough knowledge on this forum to have a game build from the ground up (and there are enough game engines we can build upon such as unreal, unity, crysis and source).

Nice thing is is that we have a rather large community that can make some publicity and test the game. If we ever need funding then we could always try the kickstarter way. Cause lets be honest, notting is really for free and people shouldn't design and code for free, period.

We criticise games like mad man and curse how shit some developers really are. How about we make a little team ourself and start building a simple game that we all can enjoy. Maybe something like a Multiplayer FPS so there would be no need for complicated AI's?first step is to figure out what the fuck it's going to be.

secondly you need to realize that doing something like this is not a part time job you faff about with when you can be bothered, designing and building software is hard fucking work and that's why so much of it suck as bad as it does, writing code is easy, writing good code within a development framework adhering to sensible coding standards is hard.

learn it, love it (http://unity3d.com/). it's the reason we see many of the recent awesome titles.

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 11:50:20 AM
I want a Cripple olympics, like the old Summer Games and Winter Games for C64, only with lots of wheelchairs. Like 400m hurdles or ski long jump.

btw, can code (a bit, there are better ppl here), can do music and sound effects.

helgur
March 15 2013, 11:58:19 AM
If this was to really see the light of day you would need to make a more cautious and pragmatic approach tbh. Start a thread with your game idea the FHC community can contribute to and elaborate with. The game in itself should be simple to make both graphics and code wise, no mind blowing stuff with huge ambitions (I'll get back to why later).

Anyone that is interested in pitching into the project with the qualifications they might have can do so. Just make a github repository account and people can pitch in there.

The first project is an opensource project. While working at that it is easier to map out the qualifications of each contributor, who will stick around, who is best at doing what etc.

If you manage to get this simple game off the ground and into a workable product you should be good to go to phase two, which is making a commercial product.

NoirAvlaa
March 15 2013, 12:06:24 PM
Yeah mate unless you get your design in first you're gonna end up with 30 armchair game designers all calling eachother fatnerds and DarkFlare writing the whole thing in JavaScript.

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 12:08:22 PM
We need a subforum for that. Keep a thread with a link in here to draw more attention from the right crowd and have less clutter.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 12:12:49 PM
I'm just bringing the idea of having a FHC team who wants to build a game. I'm 100% aware what you guys are telling me, totally agree with helgur that it has to be something simple and that won't be a problem. Just wanted to check out who is actually willing to build up a game.

Also Unity is one of the better game engines and is totally free.

So I'm just checking out who is up for it and the idea of the game in mind will come later.

EDIT: actually writing a little text document about it atm.

RazoR
March 15 2013, 12:29:03 PM
There's not many niches left after the Train Fever thingie.

TheManFromDelmonte
March 15 2013, 12:37:01 PM
If you'd asked a week earlier we could've done a 7 day roguelike. Anyway, what Helgur said.

Liare
March 15 2013, 12:57:26 PM
If you'd asked a week earlier we could've done a 7 day roguelike. Anyway, what Helgur said.roguelike, ftl styled game with pirate ships ?

helgur
March 15 2013, 01:10:25 PM
If you'd asked a week earlier we could've done a 7 day roguelike. Anyway, what Helgur said.roguelike, ftl styled game with pirate ships ?

FTL inspired game fits perfectly within the scope

Also it has potential to be awesome

http://alleg.sourceforge.net/

2D gaming library i've played a bit around with and would fit perfectly around the frames of such a project codewise

XenosisReaper
March 15 2013, 01:18:12 PM
Didn't Yuto do this back on SHC?

And didn't it just get abandoned because forum neckbeards have the attention spans of adhd lemmings?

Lana Torrin
March 15 2013, 01:20:08 PM
Things NOT to develop without the backing of a huge marketing department.

1) Any type of FPS game.
2) MMOs.

Minecraft misses the S part in FPS and so just managed to escape the 'competing with COD/BFx/Halo' tag.

I would actually be in for some sort of turn based type game. I have a few ideas myself, but they aren't completely thought out. (Turn based multiplayer empire building game with 'forced' time limit on turn lengths so one person not submitting a turn doesn't fuck it up for everyone)

I can actually program too (badly, oh so very badly)

Edit: Also, I would be making this on my own but as everyone can probably guess I fail at committing to long projects.

Tajidan
March 15 2013, 01:26:42 PM
most of the things are already said but here goes;

main reason i see why not make your own game is time and money. if its something to do on the side then time is the main factor with motivation/effort as secondary. good project planning would be mandatory.

the next issue is ambitions, yes everyone has an idea for a perfect gaem but to get that on paper that its actually working and fun is a different story. main rule, the simpler the better. for example the train fever dudes, if they would concentrate on the mechanics first instead of already perfectly modelling trains/cars/houses/peoples for a non completed game and just went with an art style like lets say darwinia they could accomplish much more.

edit: i have some experience with unity as i work with it but im not capable at programming. but i can do pretty much anything when it comes to do art assets, limited modelling but i'm getting there, besides i don't see anything wrong when there's also a learning experience while doing things.

wishlist for a game; turn based startegy/tactical, maybe naval or (spesships) huge machinery shooting bits out of eachother

FatFreddy
March 15 2013, 01:33:54 PM

Oh and to make a serious post: It's because those people often put all their life into their projects, over months and years. One dedicated bedroom programmer equals probably an indefinite number of lolvideogames theorycrafters who don't have that stamina.

Rather obvious rant here, but the post still made me facepalm a bit.

Tajidan
March 15 2013, 01:36:53 PM

Oh and to make a serious post: It's because those people often put all their life into their projects, over months and years. One dedicated bedroom programmer equals probably an indefinite number of lolvideogames theorycrafters who don't have that stamina.

But you're right, if we do something it should be rather small so it can be finished in maybe 1-2months. Then go from there

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 01:45:01 PM

But you're right, if we do something it should be rather small so it can be finished in maybe 1-2months. Then go from there

Creating simple games is mindnumbingly simple. You can do a multiple choice textadventure within a single day and dicking around a lot. You can do Pong with almost no coding experience due to the sheer number of tutorials out there. The list goes on and on...

...the hard part is when you start fleshing things out and increasing the scope of the project.

Example: McPixel. Very simple graphics but really black humor and caused me to spit beer all over my keyboard. You can probably do a game like that in less than a month even without devoting all your time and sacrificing your firstborn.

Now, if we are talking stuff like StarDrive that needs to be coded properly and efficiently to achieve good performance on this large scale, thats when things get hard, even though the game essentially looks simple. Looks are decieving.

That said, yeah, we kinda need a proper design to see what we'd be up against.

balistic void
March 15 2013, 01:45:10 PM
Lots of non-developers going on about how not difficult game development is :)

Yeah is easy, just learn to code! And yes javascript is actually quite viable these days it seems (despite the horror etc). Finally the tech is mature to do proper web-development, make any game you want (even complex multiplayer 3d ones), will run on any platform.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 01:46:05 PM
I'll write my idea here for now instead of clustering up the game forums. The ideas such as names and whatever are open for suggestions. Take the principle of the idea in your head and don't pick on the details. I will work that out ones you guys say that the idea has potential and will even create art assets.

-------

Name of Game: Scrapheap Arena Robots
Game type: Multiplayer FPS
Game Engine: Unity (for now)

Synopsis
Instead of having a realistic shooter I want to create a more "less serious" approach with little combat robots that duke it out in a Arena. It should have the feeling of a gladiator game where it is all about the game. Like many games all robots will have a standard layout. Arena's are symmetrical (most of the time). There is no such thing as personal score, the game will be team based and so will be the score. You could see it as a Teambased FPS Trackmania

The art style will be simple to give more room for creating extras. The art style is similair to the upcoming title of Planetary Annihilation which give it a bit of a cartoony look. Obviously it won't be exactly the same but there is no need for over the top complicated textures. Neither there won't be large amount of polygons. This is easy to create, maintain and will run on any computer. Including the map will have repetitive elements so that making new maps is easy. With enough development even custom maps will be an option

Weapons of the robots is a Main Gun and A Mini grenade launcher. No knifes and pistols.

The upcoming ideas are stretch goals and they don't have to make it up all the way to the end. It is up to us how far we want to go.

Stretch Goal 1 - Win Conditions
Everything has been explored regarding FPS. Few games can already create their own custom weapons, characters & maps. However non of them have custom win conditions during a game. Within this game you can even have multiple win conditions that have to be completed together or on its own. The best way to show what I want to achieve is by giving examples. These rules would be setup along with maps on a server.

Example 1 - An AND example. You have to complete both to win.

Capture 3 Flags
AND
Kill 150 Robots

Example 2 - An OR example. You either have to complete on of the both.

Get 200 Beacon Points
OR
Kill 200 Robots

Example 3 - A simple death match

Kill 200 Robots

Example 4 - A complicated match

Kill 200 Robots
AND
Get 200 Beacon Points OR Capture 3 Flags

Example 5 - A funny difficult match

Die 50 times
OR
Capture the flag 3 times
*In other words, the game won't be a mass kill spree, you will have to look out who you will kill.. cause if you kill to many.. you will loose :).

Stretch Goal 2 - Customise maps
See Arena and Art style, there is not much I can add to it beside the fact that each map needs a location for spawns, flags & beacons to allow all kind of game plays with different win conditions. But even if we have 10 maps created by the developers, it will give a huge amount of game options anyway. So this isn't even needed so much.

Stretch Goal 3 - Customise Weapons
We don't have to go this far, but if you like the ideas so far... we could.

It is a different customisation then what you would see in todays FPS. Currently you got stuff like silencers, fore grip, heavybarel, scopes and whatever. I'm going for a different type and that is with sliders or points.

It is similar like attributes within eve. You can choose where you want to put your points. Within this game you can do the same thing but with the weapons that the robot is carrying. Something along these lines.

Main Weapon

Damage Atributes
- Accuracy
- Rate of Fire
- Damage per Bullet

Reload & Ammo Atributes
- Ammo Capacity
- Reload Time
- Recharge time (Robots in this game recharge their Ammo Charges over time, there are no ammo crates in this game)

Options which don't require points
* Single Action, Burst Action & Automatics
* Different Type of Scopes

Mine Grenade Launcher

Damage Atributes
- Knockback
- Web
- Smoke
- Raw Damage
- Effective Radius

Other
- Reload Time
- Amount
- Recharge Time
- Megazine

Extra 2 or 3 points that you can give to anything

Stretch Goal 4 - Customise Robot

Yep, even customise robot could be possible.
This will also have energy points which you can distribute.
[QUOTE]
Shield/Health
- Shield Amount
- Shield Recharge
- Shield Remote Recharge? (maybe - constant AOE)

Mobility
- Forward Speed
- Sideways/Banking
- JumpHeight (will need mechanics to prevent to the extreme bunny hopping)
- Fall Damage Reduction
- Knockback reduction (see grenade above)

Extra Points if you want better mobility or Health.

This is my idea for now... Let me know if you guys like it and work it out.

Lana Torrin
March 15 2013, 01:46:36 PM

This is a "good idea".. I still think we would fail at that size of a project. We are awesome that way.

How do we feel about developing for a tablet? I have an idea for a simple tablet game...

Edit: Also, being honest, I don't like giving my ideas away. Occasionally I have a good one and I kick myself every time I realize its good and im doing it for free.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 01:49:30 PM
See the above.

Regarding developers locking up their room for months and years. Well... if we get a big enough team on FHC and make it some kind of open source project kind of idea then we can work on it for a few months and see it from there. It doesn't hurt to dream a bit... Maybe something big comes out of it, maybe notting... but for me it is worth trying cause you simply never know.

balistic void
March 15 2013, 01:49:30 PM
See everyone has ideas for games, but noone actually wants to write difficult code.

Lana Torrin
March 15 2013, 01:51:43 PM
See everyone has ideas for games, but noone actually wants to write difficult code.

TBH if you don't mind the code coming at you in the 3 or 4 oddball languages I know (none of which are C or perl) I have no issue writing hard code. I'm best at Delphi.

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 01:52:50 PM
Hm... not in favor of doing an FPS straightaway. I would consider modding an existing game.

Excellent stuff to use would be the Quake 2 engine, even if it is old - it's pisseasy to get started (speaking from experience - i was involved in quake 2 and 3 mods with models, graphics, sound and coding). The reason why I would use such a base is - I think you can already grab standalone SDKs and tons of engine improvements and you have a fully working gamebase in terms or art assets, maps, netcode, yaddayadda.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 01:54:04 PM

When I created with somebody else Kethane mod for KSP... it was also massively difficult. However he managed to code it within 2 weeks a really good solid while I created the art assets. There are people who love to make difficult codes.

As long as somebody has an idea and can make other people inspired, then notting is impossible.

Don't get me wrong, if people don't like the idea at all then I'm fine with it. But I presume many of us would love to make a little game where we can help each other. That is the reason I started the thread as I see "potential" within the community. Yeah, maybe bit too much of a positive attitude :P

Tajidan
March 15 2013, 01:57:10 PM
i dont think it should be a personal wishlist of ideas where everyone likes his one the most. we should make one from the ground up so everyone can be involved in the fun part of fleshing out an idea. genre (FPS, RTS, serious/hilarious, etc.), scope of the game, final vision.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 01:57:57 PM
Hm... not in favor of doing an FPS straightaway. I would consider modding an existing game.

Excellent stuff to use would be the Quake 2 engine, even if it is old - it's pisseasy to get started (speaking from experience - i was involved in quake 2 and 3 mods with models, graphics, sound and coding). The reason why I would use such a base is - I think you can already grab standalone SDKs and tons of engine improvements and you have a fully working gamebase in terms or art assets, maps, netcode, yaddayadda.

Thats good too, no objection. I can make just 5 art assets in the shapes of simple blocks (flags & beacons excluded) and the standard robot. With that you can create maps already. Sure there won't be much variarity between maps... but you got to start somewhere.

balistic void
March 15 2013, 01:58:00 PM

TBH if you don't mind the code coming at you in the 3 or 4 oddball languages I know (none of which are C or perl) I have no issue writing hard code. I'm best at Delphi.

You pick a language based on the tools etc available. It's all about javascript on both the client and server side these days.

There are lots of JS game engines: http://www.reddit.com/r/javascript/comments/f094j/list_of_js_game_engines_community_effort/

On the server side you can easily use Node.js or whatever to make a server. Using the same language for client and server makes part of the codebase shared.

I'm not a JS expert at all, this stuff is all new to me. Here is an opensource example I am looking at -> http://browserquest.mozilla.org/

Jalif
March 15 2013, 01:59:21 PM
i dont think it should be a personal wishlist of ideas where everyone likes his one the most. we should make one from the ground up so everyone can be involved in the fun part of fleshing out an idea. genre (FPS, RTS, serious/hilarious, etc.), scope of the game, final vision.

Yeap you are right, keeping the idea there tho :) - Maybe people can project their own ideas on it (keeping it simple). Got to start somewhere.

helgur
March 15 2013, 02:01:57 PM
I'm not really familiar with Unity, what kind of language is embedded with that? C#?

Also 3D FPS? Really? Aren't you setting the bar a bit high already? :|

Jalif
March 15 2013, 02:05:50 PM
I'm not really familiar with Unity, what kind of language is embedded with that? C#?

Also 3D FPS? Really? Aren't you setting the bar a bit high already? :|

C++ or C# I think. I used it during KSP modding and was good fun. As far as I'm aware, there are already some FPS templates that you can get from Unity. Wouldn't be a good start from there to build it up? Replace the models and maps and you could start getting a shape.

BUT I'm ok with dropping it for now and we could make a 2.5D simcity game ourselves hahahaha.

I'm open to ideas, really.

Tajidan
March 15 2013, 02:07:17 PM
unity is C# mostly i think, yes.

>SpaceRailwayTycoon

i'd like to do something silly with space. a setting we are most familiar with

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 02:07:31 PM
Just throwing an idea out here - since we have a nice server host with FHC (god bless our overlords) why not try to do something browserbased?

Lana Torrin
March 15 2013, 02:08:10 PM

You pick a language based on the tools etc available. It's all about javascript on both the client and server side these days.

There are lots of JS game engines: http://www.reddit.com/r/javascript/comments/f094j/list_of_js_game_engines_community_effort/

On the server side you can easily use Node.js or whatever to make a server. Using the same language for client and server makes part of the codebase shared.

I'm not a JS expert at all, this stuff is all new to me. Here is an opensource example I am looking at -> http://browserquest.mozilla.org/

Yeah don't know java either. I'm really quite useless in a team programming environment..

Jason Marshall
March 15 2013, 02:08:56 PM
Collectible Trading Card Game.

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 02:12:03 PM

Yeah don't know java either. I'm really quite useless in a team programming environment..

I hate Java with a passion. Just because it runs everywhere does not mean it's good. You could also say that anal is great because it works on both genders. You just don't go there.

Meh. Java is probably fine for development because there is a shitton of libraries available and tools. But I still fucking hate Java.

FatFreddy
March 15 2013, 02:13:33 PM

>SpaceRailwayTycoon

Space Road Truckers game

2D

Interstellar Highways, valuable cargo, pirates, loneliness

occasionally a dirty sandwich from the truck stop - think futurama style

scenario could imo easily be a roguelike

Pacefalm
March 15 2013, 02:13:35 PM
"look at the success of FTL! Let's make COD..."

I kid, I kid. In all seriousness a shooter should not be the way to go. I have very little programming experience but can try to help out if needed. But I agree we should start somewhere simple... Maybe at best a fast paced 2D shooter la Soldat. Modding an existing game, or hell even some rpgmaker bullshit, should help people get the feel for it we want to actually go through with this.

XenosisReaper
March 15 2013, 02:14:21 PM
we should build a fully functioning Eve mod for Skyrim

Right?

Sparq
March 15 2013, 02:14:25 PM
A strange game, the only way to win is not to post.

helgur
March 15 2013, 02:15:08 PM
No I don't mean to rain on your parade I know fuckall about unity. It might be a lot more simpler than what I thought if you already have templates and such in place. What I do know though is from some experiments I have done personally programming in 3D game libraries (Ogre3D) and 2D game libraries (Allegro) is the sheer scale in difference work wise you need to put in both artistic and programmatically when you wan't to do a 3D environment versus 2D.

But as I said, Unity might simplify the work immensely, so whatdoIknow.

I like your concept though :)

Jalif
March 15 2013, 02:15:21 PM
Tajidan had a good comment that we should do something space based. I suggest we make it sci-fi to keep it broad.
Also watching the comments here... C# all the way?

Keep trowing ideas up, eventually we will find something we like to build right?

@Jason, a space based Trading Card game XD?

FatFreddy
March 15 2013, 02:16:48 PM

I counter your modpocalypse deck with an entrox build

FatFreddy
March 15 2013, 02:17:29 PM
we should build a fully functioning Eve mod for Skyrim

Right?

this makes all senses there are and then some

we shall call it Fjord 514

(sorry for all the posting, I have a long day at work)

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 02:19:47 PM

Goon Deck with Threadnaught rare card is go.

helgur
March 15 2013, 02:25:47 PM
Tajidan had a good comment that we should do something space based. I suggest we make it sci-fi to keep it broad.

I've never programmed a single line in C#

But if you need multiplayer functionality I'll happily jump on the team and contribute with a server as that doesn't need to be coded in C# would be nice to have some codemonkey compadres I can lean to so my workload doesnt get too heavy tho

XenosisReaper
March 15 2013, 02:26:27 PM
A strange game, the only way to win is not to post.

Game is rigged, I can't win

Jalif
March 15 2013, 02:26:58 PM
As Helgur Pointed out, 2D is less of a difficulty then 3D.. since we want to start small, lets do that then?

2D
Sci-Fi
C#

??

I remember a lot of games being made by this game engine: http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-2d

I've never programmed a single line in C#

But if you need multiplayer functionality I'll happily jump on the team and contribute with a server as that doesn't need to be coded in C# would be nice to have some codemonkey compadres I can lean to so my workload doesnt get too heavy tho

Thats why I just started this thread, getting as many people on board so we can help each other.

Ituralde
March 15 2013, 02:33:09 PM

Keep trowing ideas up, eventually we will find something we like to build right?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23714

XNA Game Studio is the default go-to for windows game development / anything relying heavily on C#/.net functionality.

Honestly, even deciding that is getting way too far ahead of ourselves. The technology is honestly the least of your worries when developing a game. What makes a game fun or not fun ultimately comes down to the core mechanic. For the most part, the core mechanic is generally what defines the type of genre the game is in - it's the thing that the player is doing as the major action in game. Most games can be simplified down to a very simple core mechanic that people find fun.

Before committing to a game, you want to prototype the core mechanic and see if people actually find it enjoyable.

If they do, you can build a deeper game around it. You can then make some further key decisions, such as:

1. What does multiplayer look like?
2. What kind of cross-platform support do we want?

The thing that will make or break most games that have a successful core mechanic as well is high quality sound and animation direction. They don't have to be 100% the most fantastically beautiful things, but they need to happen at exactly the right time. If you do this, even a very simple game will feel extremely polished. If you look back to the old Starcraft and Warcraft II games, the graphics look lame by modern standards but the art direction - the timing of everything - is spot on and feels correct. Having ingame music that feels epic doesn't hurt either - I wouldn't be surprised if at least 30% of EVE's subscribers bought their initial accounts in large part because of Below the Asteroids.

I've personally wanted to do a steampunk-style naval combat game featuring units based on naval weapons from the ww1/ww2 era, with a couple fantastical elements to include things like airships and some facility for rapid transit that allows you to preserve naval scale without having to AFK for 3 days to get anywhere.

Ituralde
March 15 2013, 02:34:55 PM
Honestly, the hard part about 3d isn't anything on the technical side - its on the art side. Its a WHOLE lot more work to do decent quality 3d work than it is to do good 2d work.

I also believe that other than as a testbed for a team, only the most casual games will see any success with 2d graphics. Even simple 3D tends to come off as far more professional.

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 02:36:28 PM
One of the first design choices that impact gameplay for me would be - will it be realtime or turn based?

Itiken
March 15 2013, 02:38:14 PM

I Hard Counter you with a DarkFlare thread.

Joshua Foiritain
March 15 2013, 02:41:34 PM
Skimmed over the topic and a few things came to mind:

1: Come up with a fun game idea. Just a game idea isn't enough as people are going to be doing this in their free time and if they don't enjoy the product they're working on they're going to do other stuff instead.

2: Keep it simple. Dont do a FPS, dont do 3d, dont do multiplayer. Start with something simple in 2d that's fun to play (preferably with some kind of twist that prevents it from being just a copy of an existing game, but this is optional). At this point your goal is getting a functioning team together, save the more challenging/time intensive stuff for once you've figured out who is going to actually commit (and is capable) and who suffers from ADD.

Edit: also stay away from Torque, worst engine i've ever worked with /o\

Jalif
March 15 2013, 02:42:08 PM
So we have now

- 2D (It is a lot easier & I agree)
- C Language of some kind
- Direction of Sci-Fi/Space
- Some kind of Multiplayer?

@ Blutreiter,
First we need to make something up that we want to create tho.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 02:43:12 PM

1: Come up with a fun game idea. Just a game idea isn't enough as people are going to be doing this in their free time and if they don't enjoy the product they're working on they're going to do other stuff instead.

2: Keep it simple. Dont do a FPS, dont do 3d, dont do multiplayer. Start with something simple in 2d that's fun to play (preferably with some kind of twist that prevents it from being just a copy of an existing game, but this is optional). At this point your goal is getting a functioning team together, save the more challenging/time intensive stuff for once you've figured out who is going to actually commit (and is capable) and who suffers from ADD.

Wouldn't Multiplayer actually be easier? As you don't have to code a AI?

Ituralde
March 15 2013, 02:44:05 PM
You could do what is essentially multiplayer PVP asteroids and go from there. If we had the people, it could probably be done this weekend.

Ituralde
March 15 2013, 02:45:24 PM

There's a decent bit of tech overhead to get multiplayer to work, so it really depends on how complex your AI would need to be. Some AIs are simple, some are not.

P.S. i have done all this shit before and know the tech side of this pretty well

Amantus
March 15 2013, 02:45:34 PM
because it would be shit

Joshua Foiritain
March 15 2013, 02:47:08 PM

Yes/No. Good AI is hard, Simple AI is easy. Coding multiplayer isnt exactly hard either its just more complicated then creating a simple AI theres a lot of things people can do wrong with multiplayer.

My point was mainly; focus on building a team rather then a game, use some simple ideas to produce a few simple games and see whose actually joining the projects and who is not. Starting an decent game idea is all fine and dandy but if people start losing focus half way its all just wasted time.

helgur
March 15 2013, 02:52:35 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23714

XNA Game Studio is the default go-to for windows game development / anything relying heavily on C#/.net functionality.

Honestly, even deciding that is getting way too far ahead of ourselves. The technology is honestly the least of your worries when developing a game. What makes a game fun or not fun ultimately comes down to the core mechanic. For the most part, the core mechanic is generally what defines the type of genre the game is in - it's the thing that the player is doing as the major action in game. Most games can be simplified down to a very simple core mechanic that people find fun.

Before committing to a game, you want to prototype the core mechanic and see if people actually find it enjoyable.

If they do, you can build a deeper game around it. You can then make some further key decisions, such as:

1. What does multiplayer look like?
2. What kind of cross-platform support do we want?

The thing that will make or break most games that have a successful core mechanic as well is high quality sound and animation direction. They don't have to be 100% the most fantastically beautiful things, but they need to happen at exactly the right time. If you do this, even a very simple game will feel extremely polished. If you look back to the old Starcraft and Warcraft II games, the graphics look lame by modern standards but the art direction - the timing of everything - is spot on and feels correct. Having ingame music that feels epic doesn't hurt either - I wouldn't be surprised if at least 30% of EVE's subscribers bought their initial accounts in large part because of Below the Asteroids.

I've personally wanted to do a steampunk-style naval combat game featuring units based on naval weapons from the ww1/ww2 era, with a couple fantastical elements to include things like airships and some facility for rapid transit that allows you to preserve naval scale without having to AFK for 3 days to get anywhere.

As sound as your input is if you want to make a srsbsns product which is commercial viable, it isn't really viable on the stage it is in right now. What we want to make sure of first and foremost is that the idea grabs the interest of the people who are going to work on this, or else it will never leave the ground. This should be a fun project where people enjoy making it.

A multiplayer card game based on the forum users doesn't sound like a bad idea. And if Entrox jumps onboard with this and makes some of the data easily readable via get request the card game can be dynamically fed aswell (stats are visible under your nick and gets manipulated based on activity on the forum and other forum users - think rep stats).

Paradox
March 15 2013, 03:00:50 PM
because it would be shit

EntroX
March 15 2013, 03:09:34 PM
Just throwing an idea out here - since we have a nice server host with FHC (god bless our overlords) why not try to do something browserbased?

i am okay with this as long as it involves ducks, preferably QuackBot :-P

but frankly, why do an FPS?, do something ~fun~ and 2D tbh

helgur
March 15 2013, 03:15:11 PM

Thats what is on the table atm, 3D is out

Itiken
March 15 2013, 03:21:27 PM

2d isometric horse sized duck vs ....

(fill the rest in yourself)

Lallante
March 15 2013, 03:22:35 PM
ITT confusing skill with talent.

50% of a good game is the concept/gamedesign/grand idea, 49% is hard work, dedication, commitment and management, and the remaining 1% is "finding people with the relevant skills"

Congrats FHC we are 1% of the way there.

Victoria Steckersaurus
March 15 2013, 03:23:36 PM
This thread makes me wish I had gotten off my ass and learned to code. Designing shit, problem solving and making things work is what I do best (engineer checking in). Game design is fun because you expand your demands from "Make it work" to "Make it work and be fun." I'm going to have to spend some time learning... something. Eventually, life is busy these days.

Also, throwing out a suggestion because it shouldn't be terribly hard to code: The world needs more turn based strategy games like the old Shining Force games, more recently Fire Emblem, that sorta thing. I would love to help out with game design and shit like that.

FatFreddy
March 15 2013, 03:25:46 PM
ITT confusing skill with talent.

50% of a good game is the concept/gamedesign/grand idea, 49% is hard work, dedication, commitment and management, and the remaining 1% is "finding people with the relevant skills"

Congrats FHC we are 1% of the way there.

p. sure you can't even program in html, n00b

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 03:28:51 PM
Browserbased... a few choices where we can start.

There are several of these RPGish things around... lemme have a look: http://lotgd.net - Legend of the green dragon.

This one is potentially interesting, because as far as I know (from some years back... i was curious) there exists a moddable package that you can go to town on. It will be quite an ordeal to rewrite the whole thing to a space theme and add lots of ducks and other assorted poultry and FHC humor most fine.

While this is mayyyybe a bit weaksauce as far as "LETS MAKE GAEM" goes, since it is mostly textbased, tons of people can contribute easily. We might also get some good artwork going.

Also you got all these real time browser strategy things, which all follow the same principle but are generally a horrible numbercrunching experience. SQL based afaik and there also should be basic packages that we can remodel to our hearts content.

That one personally is not as interesting, but it can be tied into the FHC forum extremely easy, possibly generating a good stable playerbase. And also tons of griefing potential.

Last but not least, the Collectible Card Game. Also very nice to integrate into the FHC community, as I would actually start with some of those nonsense CCG artwork collections that always looked awesome... but you never really got around to play it. Example: http://www.eve-tribune.com/index.php?no=2_5&page=8 (if you never saw this, you didnt play EVE)

The CCG route would also enable tons of input from everyone but would require more 2d artwork and of course we need to come up with our own game core (which is not necessarily a bad thing but it will be THAT much slower to get started).

Consider motivation and interest the 2 biggest deciding factors in developing a game. If you cannot show off progress, the unfaithful will tire quickly.

evil edna
March 15 2013, 03:30:40 PM
simcontration camp 2017

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 03:31:31 PM
simcontration camp 2017

+cen

FatFreddy
March 15 2013, 03:31:31 PM
simcontration camp 2017

so a huge wal-mart?

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 03:33:26 PM
Bonuspoints for the browsergame, if we can get whatever we're doing to work on mobile phones.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 03:36:31 PM
Browser Collectible Card Game? I like the sound of that, however I will make a template for it tho.

Maybe instead of a card something else?

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 03:44:24 PM
Browser Collectible Card Game? I like the sound of that, however I will make a template for it tho.

Maybe instead of a card something else?

CCG is the main term for the genre, like FPS for shooters. Whatever you hoard and fight other players with, that's totally up to you. Cards provide an easy starting template with a nice immersive picture and the attached rules or effects. Also, forumquotes.

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 03:50:52 PM
Just out of my ass right now... instead of Cards, you could be collecting swearwords, which do certain damagetypes to your Ego, Sanity, Virility or whatever... collect cards by randomly browsing the forum and on each thread you check out, you have a 5% chance per day to find something new.

This encourages users to spelunk around FHC and broaden their horizons... and it will also generate a massive influx of c*nts to the Pony subforum.

You choose to utilize cards against another forumuser and the results will be checked twice a day. Any effect will apply. Also, the user you play stuff against (or for... there shall be sexting to boost morale or a mittani rally perhaps?) will recieve a visual indicator that someone is doing something, so he might want to take a defensive action or retailate.

If your hitpoints in the various categories drop too low, you might recieve an additional forumtitle or signature... (YOU SUCK)

...whatever. CCG type games can be quite fun if you wrap your noggin around it.

evil edna
March 15 2013, 03:52:45 PM
wheres spiral and his funny forum cards gone

EntroX
March 15 2013, 03:53:29 PM

http://pics.stoleyour.com/spiral/

like so?

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 03:55:23 PM

http://pics.stoleyour.com/spiral/

like so?
Like so.

NoirAvlaa
March 15 2013, 03:58:54 PM
I have ideas, will write up later. But it's basically a Turn based rts tcg.

Stahpatalk

Paradox
March 15 2013, 03:59:11 PM
14 inch penis needs to be in the wordfilter again.

TheManFromDelmonte
March 15 2013, 04:47:25 PM
Unity is awesome helgur, and it will make a 2d game with 3d assets easy to do (eg. tower defence). However full 2d is always easier, you just use quds and an orthographic (or whatever) projection with a fixed camera.
An actual 3d game (eg tomb raider, descent) is much harder of course.

Unity also uses javascript as well as C#, but if you're doing anything serious you should use the C# parts.
Java and Javascript are totally different, lets pretend no one brought up java.

Lall is wrong on this, getting and keeping a team is most of the problem. Ideas are everywhere and worthless. Game design is 1% having an idea and 49% having it shat on by the coders and artists and 50% tweaking config files endlessly so it plays how you want. It's horrible.

"Space" is a good thing people can agree on.

Hels
March 15 2013, 05:16:57 PM
I'd suggest a 2D Roguelike Spaceship game.

Fly around, with your utility bot Quackbot, who spouts random quotes at you, upgrade your ship, meet interesting FHC people as characters. All random of course.

Die often.

There's been a couple of other games like this but they distinctly lack polish or any semblance of fun.

v0v

Either way I'll help alpha/beta-test since I have no usable skills for this (other than writing).

Jalif
March 15 2013, 05:20:53 PM
So a 2D Spacegame is what we have atm.

I suggest we trow some ideas into the sky.

- When I think about simple 2D then I'm thinking about Prison Architect. Maybe something along base building and base maintaince? Station management? Basicly SimVillage in space? Have FHC characters as hero's with special skills?
- Squad based Multiplayer and slaughter aliens in a station while have nice survival elements within the game? So a minecraft/xcom combo in 2d?

FatFreddy
March 15 2013, 05:31:40 PM
Prisonship Architect

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 05:35:33 PM
So a 2D Spacegame is what we have atm.

I suggest we trow some ideas into the sky.

- When I think about simple 2D then I'm thinking about Prison Architect. Maybe something along base building and base maintaince? Station management? Basicly SimVillage in space? Have FHC characters as hero's with special skills?
- Squad based Multiplayer and slaughter aliens in a station while have nice survival elements within the game? So a minecraft/xcom combo in 2d?

This is potentially brilliant while easy to design, assetwise. I am thinking along the lines of this: http://www.starshipcorporation.com/media/screenshots

And I would play the shit out of it if you simply design it in a wacky yet srsbsns way, FHC style.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 05:44:41 PM
Title: Scrapheap Spaceships Adventures!

Start off with a top down game where you get dropped within a starship. Everything is dark and all you have is a rifle and a flashlight. Shoot aliens and find a way out. On the way you find loot and equipment such as flares. Eventually expand it with a multiplayer option so you can both scream like little girls when suddenly a alien attacks from the back. So it gives it a bit of XCOM/Alien feeling. You can also bring along (or control) a robot called Quackbot :). If you die, then you will loose everything that you brought along with you and didn't store away before your mission.

Then you can keep on expanding this where you:
- Have a spaceship that docks with new abandoned spaceships that are invested with aliens in search of loot and equipment.
- Have a spaceship that you can upgrade with scanners, equipment, lockers etc etc.
- Tradehub after a search?
- Food?
- Customizable guns?

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 05:46:24 PM

Start off with a top down game where you get dropped within a starship. Everything is dark and all you have is a rifle and a flashlight. Shoot aliens and find a way out. On the way you find loot and equipment such as flares. Eventually expand it with a multiplayer option so you can both scream like little girls when suddenly a alien attacks from the back. So it gives it a bit of XCOM/Alien feeling. You can also bring along (or control) a robot called Quackbot :).

- Have a spaceship that docks with new abandoned spaceships that are invested with aliens in search of loot and equipment.
- Have a spaceship that you can upgrade with scanners, equipment, lockers etc etc.
- Food?
- Customizable guns?

Let me put this in a TL-DR you can jizz over:

Space Carrier based X-Com Roguelike.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 05:49:56 PM

Start off with a top down game where you get dropped within a starship. Everything is dark and all you have is a rifle and a flashlight. Shoot aliens and find a way out. On the way you find loot and equipment such as flares. Eventually expand it with a multiplayer option so you can both scream like little girls when suddenly a alien attacks from the back. So it gives it a bit of XCOM/Alien feeling. You can also bring along (or control) a robot called Quackbot :).

- Food?
- Customizable guns?

:) and realtime (not turn based) so people can panic :D

EDIT: but we will need to start small tho

EDIT2: Side view like Mario OR topview like FTL?

helgur
March 15 2013, 06:00:49 PM
Sound like fun! But what are you guys planning to use to code this? Unity? And if so, is it because no one wants or can program in a bit more traditional language, like C?

Jalif
March 15 2013, 06:03:01 PM
I'm currently browsing google for 2d game engines to have a nice base... Maybe somebody can shine on this idea a bit more? I'm a "artist", not a coder...

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 06:07:36 PM

- Food?
- Customizable guns?

:) and realtime (not turn based) so people can panic :D

EDIT: but we will need to start small tho

EDIT2: Side view like Mario OR topview like FTL?

If you want to start small, you would simplify the game down to something manageable and then keep adding - with the added difficulty to keep possible future expansions in mind, so that you don't screw yourself over by imposing hard limitations or killing scalability.

We can start by generating one single room with a static target that you can interact with and another that you can destroy. That should be achievable within a week. Or two if people are lazy, but that doesn't matter atm.

Sidescrolling can make for some really interesting realtime stuff later on, but that will mostly focus on combat I believe. Top down has a much easier time with tactics and strategy. Correct me if I am wrong.

If sidescrolling, I would make it semi-realtime, something like Worms maybe. Initiative check, movement phase within limited distance, then a simultaneous weapon phase for maximum mayhem, because fuck sequential combat.

helgur
March 15 2013, 06:07:41 PM
Well for personal preference I would go for Allegro game engine, its easy fast and portable to multiple platforms, including iOS and Android

http://wiki.allegro.cc/

But then again, I am speaking only on my behalf. I am pretty sure C/C++ isn't everyones cup of tea

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 06:08:40 PM
Also, I am more of an ex-coder, I keep to scripts and stuff in the meantime, but I would also prefer C.

Gotta get to the gym for some session with a burly russian, but I will think about this some more. Also... subforum pl0x.

Tajidan
March 15 2013, 06:27:44 PM
nothing singleplayer, as that requires lots of writing and some kind of progress. multiplayer is nice because you can always add a campaign/storymodus if its fun. i'm thinking along the line of bombermine blended with asteroids/escape velocity:nova, but with spesships that can be fitted similar to FTL maybe with damage models? you could implement fhc characters as special units or boss fights. A giant floating foob head with lasers and shit comes to my mind.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 06:38:28 PM
Well for personal preference I would go for Allegro game engine, its easy fast and portable to multiple platforms, including iOS and Android

But then again, I am speaking only on my behalf. I am pretty sure C/C++ isn't everyones cup of tea

Does it allow high 2d graphics? If possible, I personally would like a topdown view and not bit-style based (that is overdone anyway).
Also iOS is a must because I'm on a mac ;)

tHornton
March 15 2013, 06:43:00 PM

Does it allow high 2d graphics? If possible, I personally would like a topdown view and not bit-style based (that is overdone anyway).

>hey guys i got a great idea for a project i wanna head lets all make a game together
>oh btw im on a mac

Jalif
March 15 2013, 06:46:15 PM

>hey guys i got a great idea for a project i wanna head lets all make a game together
>oh btw im on a mac

I can setup a bootcamp later so that won't be a problem on its own. Also, not developing for mac is stupid, looooaads of people have macs these days.

helgur
March 15 2013, 06:47:59 PM
Yeah I am on a mac myself, allthough I got a win/linux box I also keep handy

https://www.allegro.cc/depot/ games made in allegro

Jalif
March 15 2013, 06:55:45 PM

Only problem I have with it that it is toooo much bit for me. I would like to create a game with higher quality 2d graphics. Thats personal preference (I don't have skills in bit art either). I will keep browsing trough it tho

Check these out helgur:
TorQue 2D - http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-2d
Ethanon - http://doc.ethanonengine.com/manual/6

Nicho Void
March 15 2013, 06:58:15 PM
Also, not developing for mac is stupid, looooaads of people have macs these days.
Then why is Java being shit on in this thread? LWJGL would do everything you guys want.

balistic void
March 15 2013, 07:01:40 PM
Because web games use javascript, not java.

Also fuck c#/xna, not cross platform.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 07:01:59 PM
Also, not developing for mac is stupid, looooaads of people have macs these days.
Then why is Java being shit on in this thread? LWJGL would do everything you guys want.

I didn't shit on it... but people in general prefer C#

helgur
March 15 2013, 07:03:45 PM
There is nothing stopping you from making high-res graphics in the game there is no limitation towards that. I made a top down demo once in allegro that featured a star destroyer chasing a corellian corvette, and I got that from a fairly detailed 3D model i exported from blender (because I didnt want to draw it myself, that would be unrecognizable). I guess the graphics on most of the games found there are pixely because making high res graphics for small devices would end up cluttery I guess? Allegro has gotten really popular for that segment

But I am sure you can find some games there which doesnt emphasize the "pixel look"

Edit: Ethanon looks nice, i'll read more up on it

Edit2: https://www.allegro.cc/depot/PrioritySurvive/screenshots RTS ala command and conquer, is that good enough? :P

Diicc Tater
March 15 2013, 07:35:27 PM
+rep!

FTW (faster than wind)

annoying ambient piraty music
upgrades for sails, cannons, hull, shipmates,
commodities usual stuff in pirate games
no ECM, needs alternative

could be a nice heavy mod :)

Jalif
March 15 2013, 07:36:07 PM
There is nothing stopping you from making high-res graphics in the game there is no limitation towards that. I made a top down demo once in allegro that featured a star destroyer chasing a corellian corvette, and I got that from a fairly detailed 3D model i exported from blender (because I didnt want to draw it myself, that would be unrecognizable). I guess the graphics on most of the games found there are pixely because making high res graphics for small devices would end up cluttery I guess? Allegro has gotten really popular for that segment

But I am sure you can find some games there which doesnt emphasize the "pixel look"

Edit: Ethanon looks nice, i'll read more up on it

Edit2: https://www.allegro.cc/depot/PrioritySurvive/screenshots RTS ala command and conquer, is that good enough? :P

Looks more like starcraft, but yeah that could work I suppose.

However check Ethanon which has some very nice features.
This was made in 2 weeks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcAZAgychRw&feature=player_embedded#! (see the light stuff, freaking amazing)
and this is part of a tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeN_Ct02vQg&feature=player_embedded

Nicholai Pestot
March 15 2013, 08:12:33 PM
As a professional developer who has been involved in (and is currently involved in) both large scale and indy projects:-

You need 2 to 5 people to churn out a simple game at most. Don't go over that number on your first project or you will fail unless you have a professional project manager/producer willing to kick in some of their spare time.

Don't accept anyone into the team who only has an idea. You can't afford dead weight like that. Small teams are all technical (in some form, be it code/art/music/whatever). Anyone with an idea and little to no technical knowledge is useless to you. Anyone can shit out 20 good game ideas. Idea-only people are worthless. Its the implementation that's hard.

Get yourself some version control software for your files, or accept the project is going to fail.

Tell those 'make it multi-platform or don't bother' people to fuck off. If you are new at this, bug fixing on one platform will be hard enough.

Use unity. No, really. Use it. Nothing beats unity for people who are new to game development.

Be flexible and don't get too attached to your starting work. 90% of the work happens in the final 10% of the project. Almost everything will change.

Nominate a leader and have them set deadlines. People who repeatedly miss deadlines for no good reason (there are plenty of valid reasons, but the guy running the show needs to spot bullshit), need to be booted and replaced.

9/10 indy projects fail, because they approach the project in a haphazard way and burn out after a couple of weeks when the scale of the task becomes obvious. Good luck.

helgur
March 15 2013, 08:13:24 PM
Looks more like starcraft, but yeah that could work I suppose.

However check Ethanon which has some very nice features.
This was made in 2 weeks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcAZAgychRw&feature=player_embedded#! (see the light stuff, freaking amazing)
and this is part of a tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeN_Ct02vQg&feature=player_embedded

It looks pretty good actually I'll download and familiarize myself with it tonight

Jalif
March 15 2013, 08:14:22 PM
As a professional developer who has been involved in (and is currently involved in) both large scale and indy projects:-

You need 2 to 5 people to churn out a simple game at most. Don't go over that number on your first project or you will fail unless you have a professional project manager/producer willing to kick in some of their spare time.

Don't accept anyone into the team who only has an idea. You can't afford dead weight like that. Small teams are all technical (in some form, be it code/art/music/whatever). Anyone with an idea and little to no technical knowledge is useless to you. Anyone can shit out 20 good game ideas. Idea-only people are worthless. Its the implementation that's hard.

Get yourself some version control software for your files, or accept the project is going to fail.

Tell those 'make it multi-platform or don't bother' people to fuck off. If you are new at this, bug fixing on one platform will be hard enough.

Use unity. No, really. Use it. Nothing beats unity for people who are new to game development.

Be flexible and don't get too attached to your starting work. 90% of the work happens in the final 10% of the project. Almost everything will change.

Nominate a leader and have them set deadlines. People who repeatedly miss deadlines for no good reason (there are plenty of valid reasons, but the guy running the show needs to spot bullshit), need to be booted and replaced.

9/10 indy projects fail, because they approach the project in a haphazard way and burn out after a couple of weeks when the scale of the task becomes obvious. Good luck.

Thx for the tips!

Isyel
March 15 2013, 08:15:11 PM
game will be shit, been done before, will be full of bugs, not enough content, too easy, too hard, <insert whatever the player is playing> looks like shit, no engine trails...

Joshua Foiritain
March 15 2013, 08:17:45 PM

Only problem I have with it that it is toooo much bit for me. I would like to create a game with higher quality 2d graphics. Thats personal preference (I don't have skills in bit art either). I will keep browsing trough it tho

lol. All allegro does is display what you tell it to display, there's no built in pixalizer that turns everything into shitty 80's graphics. You can make the game look like anything you want.

Anyhow; Allegro is an excellent 2d framework. Torque however is garbage and i've used the other one.

helgur
March 15 2013, 08:31:27 PM
Yup Allegro is true and tested, works and does the job. I'll have a look at Ethanon and skip Torque as that has been pretty much been debunked as shit by several people ITT.

And to all you nay sayers out there. There isn't any big ambitions with this, doing this for the fun. I could program a decent Astroids 2D shooter in allegro within an evening and I would happily invest a couple of months of some of my free time developing/help developing a game with people from FHC, as long as they show commitment. The thing that kept me from making my own simple game is art. I just can't do art.

And as I mentioned earlier, we will get a github account up and running for this, everyone that wants to pitch in can pitch in. Everyone that has ideas can contribute with ideas on the forums. Negative people can fuck off.

We will start very basic, and just add stuff as we go. Lets just brainstorm, get some ideas that can be worked into a game we can put up there for people to fiddle around with, and lets have some fun :)

Jalif
March 15 2013, 08:34:35 PM
How is Allegro with light systems? Could it be as good at Ethanon?

helgur
March 15 2013, 08:43:03 PM
How is Allegro with light systems? Could it be as good at Ethanon?

I can't really speak on behalf of Ethanon but Allegro does a fine job at simulating lightning by manipulating primitives with blending for example.

You can also use OpenGL for a bit more fancy effect, but you are beyond the scope of 2D programming then.

TheManFromDelmonte
March 15 2013, 08:46:37 PM
Because web games use javascript, not java.

Also fuck c#/xna, not cross platform.

oops forget xna from my post earlier.

I heard MS is killing it off for XBox720. I'd avoid it until it's clear.
This was on eurogamer I think if someone wants to double check my bad memory.

Isyel
March 15 2013, 08:49:31 PM
Yup Allegro is true and tested, works and does the job. I'll have a look at Ethanon and skip Torque as that has been pretty much been debunked as shit by several people ITT.

And to all you nay sayers out there. There isn't any big ambitions with this, doing this for the fun. I could program a decent Astroids 2D shooter in allegro within an evening and I would happily invest a couple of months of some of my free time developing/help developing a game with people from FHC, as long as they show commitment. The thing that kept me from making my own simple game is art. I just can't do art.

And as I mentioned earlier, we will get a github account up and running for this, everyone that wants to pitch in can pitch in. Everyone that has ideas can contribute with ideas on the forums. Negative people can fuck off.

We will start very basic, and just add stuff as we go. Lets just brainstorm, get some ideas that can be worked into a game we can put up there for people to fiddle around with, and lets have some fun :)

Oh im supporting you, had to poke some fun at all the bittervets around here who hate everything and all. :P

Jalif
March 15 2013, 08:54:27 PM
How about full top down? Something along the lines like the first GTA's? Creating art for that is A lot easier and anybody with basic photoshop skills could join in. Also less hassle with perspectives and such. The amount of animations will be low also as you don't have to make a full cycle walking animation from the side.

Or that high intensity game called miami something (but then not so much pixelated)

Ralara
March 15 2013, 08:59:10 PM
why not try to make a mobile app for something like Planetarion or similar - sell microtransactions for Asteriods or Metal or wahtever...?

Space Panda
March 15 2013, 09:13:51 PM
no way i read the whole thread, so i apologize if this has been suggested, but we should capitalize on the Euro Truck Simulator 2 market.

i present to you all, Space Trucker Simulator. all you would do is click warp, jump, and wait while in warp.

so yeah, get on it and i'll check back on your status in about a week or so.

Renox
March 15 2013, 09:20:00 PM
I've tried to make a few very simple games using Python and the two simple engines pygame and pyglet.They are simple and easy to use.

Anyway, i'd be interested in helping and can do coding.

Sendt fra min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk2

Pattern
March 15 2013, 09:20:11 PM
Would offer my services for art and stuff, but I've been booked solidily until the end of the year.

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 10:09:08 PM
Back and 100% agree with Nicos earlier post. Also if he recommends Unity, I'd look into it. In fact I will sit my ass down tomorrow and see what I can do with it.

Some things I have never coded myself is network related stuff, outside of a VMS cluster. That's why I said I am not an expert coder and realistically I can do groundwork but I have no illusions of grandeur about being able to create something that will be useable months down the road.

Rakshasa The Cat
March 15 2013, 10:13:10 PM
WTF is this thread?

In today's world, if you're not making game mods or got your own OSS project... The chances are you're a retard.

Now, I've been wanting to do some KSP hacking, however I've kinda figured the graphics part would be an issue. Yet, get a good idea together and I'll be willing to write some code.

Jalif
March 15 2013, 10:26:23 PM
Back and 100% agree with Nicos earlier post. Also if he recommends Unity, I'd look into it. In fact I will sit my ass down tomorrow and see what I can do with it.

Some things I have never coded myself is network related stuff, outside of a VMS cluster. That's why I said I am not an expert coder and realistically I can do groundwork but I have no illusions of grandeur about being able to create something that will be useable months down the road.

I've checked out Unity and it isn't really "optimised" for 2D gaming. If we create a 2d game in there it will be more like 2.5D. Just flat polygons with textures on it (can give us amazing depth of field tho by placing stuff further away). Anyway, for those who want to look into it... this is a tutorial for 2D coding: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=2DShooter

EDIT: There are packages that can improve a 2D workflow... they cost money tho :(

dpidcoe
March 15 2013, 10:47:23 PM
Now, I've been wanting to do some KSP hacking, however I've kinda figured the graphics part would be an issue. Yet, get a good idea together and I'll be willing to write some code. KSP with crude space weapons. It would be pretty fun playing orbital cat and mouse against someone else also trying to kill you. Though to really get the depth/fun out of it, it would need to model detection (radar/ir/ground tracking/satellite relay/communication delay) so that each person has a proper fog of war that they would need to compensate for or guess around.

Blutreiter
March 15 2013, 10:54:15 PM

I've checked out Unity and it isn't really "optimised" for 2D gaming. If we create a 2d game in there it will be more like 2.5D. Just flat polygons with textures on it (can give us amazing depth of field tho by placing stuff further away). Anyway, for those who want to look into it... this is a tutorial for 2D coding: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=2DShooter

EDIT: There are packages that can improve a 2D workflow... they cost money tho :(

But this way - even though I agree with you that I would prefer a proper 2d environment, not a fake 2d via 3d engine - we will have some nice effects at our disposal.

erichkknaar
March 15 2013, 11:44:20 PM
Just +1ing Unity. You get so much with it, and it lets you target all the platforms. Just to be clear. It will let you code in C# or javascript. That's just to utilize the framework. It compiles that down to native when you want to publish. It's way ahead of pretty much anything else out there for rapid(er) game development.

13 years working in the games industry.

Tellenta
March 15 2013, 11:44:29 PM
As a nongamedeveloping moody jerk who has a lazy streak i am behind this effort 100% it will allow me to say a game sucks with minimum effort.

Endorse 100%

fone poastin

Jack Coutu
March 15 2013, 11:54:11 PM
Once you guys have an idea what you want to make genre wise, I'm all in on design ideas and testing (like actually testing). I really like this thread and the idea is going to take some work but I feel like Jalif has a point, it's possible so why not try it.

NoirAvlaa
March 16 2013, 02:23:13 AM
So as I don't think people have settled on an idea yet I'll throw mine into the pot. I'll spend more time refining it and expanding it at some point but this is the rough one I've thrown together:-

Game Design Document
Game Title

Spaceheap Challenge

Elevated Pitch

Your territory is under attack by rival colonies! Each turn you choose what cards to use to advance your military power, industrial might or scientific edge in order to eliminate this threat to your domain or expand into their strongholds!

What is the game like?

The game is a turn based strategy mixed with a trading card game(TCG). Players will build a deck of cards to be used in each game, split into 3 stacks (Military, Infrastructure and Science). Each turn they will draw X amount of cards up to a hand of 7 and be able to use them to upgrade and build different buildings/units.

Science cards will allow them to access different parts of their respective tech trees, allowing them a technological advantage if they want to pursue that.

What Genre?

RTS, TCG

What is the players perspective?

Isometric view, map is made from hexagonal grids for movement/placement.

People who like this have already bought

Advance Wars, Civilisation 5, MTG.

What are the Pillars?

TCG element allowing players to create specialised decks for their game.

Who are the competitors

Not looked into this, explanation of this section:-
Consider the new games that are going to be released whilst this game could be in development. Focus on those that are within the same genre or those that have other similar themes.

What are the potential weaknesses?

Niche game market.
Failheap scrubs losing interest before alpha.

What is the Teamsize / Balance of resources?

Whichever failheap scrubs want to join in.

Think about the Audience, who are they?

Fans of RTS and TCGs who want something challenging with a new twist on the genres.

Market share?

No idea, no research done yet.

What platforms?

PC, possibly tablets/smartphones depending.

Overview

This game is an isometric turn based RTS/TCG. Each player (Player 1, AI, multiplayer) will build a deck of cards to use in each game. This deck of cards is split into 3 sections, and the player can choose to pick 2 cards up per turn to use.

The player will navigate the map on a hexagonal grid, their main base will be located near a a power source which will be the ultimate objective for other players to destroy. They will expand using movement/infrastructure cards with the goal of eliminating all other players on the map.

There will be a built in alliance system in the game for if players will want to "gang up" on other players, thus marking them a different colour on the map(blue system lul).

Spread throughout the map there will be natural resources which will allow for things such as faster upgrades, building other bases, increasing industrial capacity, artifacts that allow players to pick up more cards per turn, free science points to spend, etc. Early game these should become a highly prized objective to force early conflict between players.

In "hardcore"(ranked) game modes the winner will be able to choose 1 card to take from each opposing player's deck to take for themselves. In other game modes (Casual, Structured) this won't be allowed.

USP’s

Unique trading card experience in an RTS that will allow users to build a unique game experience each time they play.

Games SALES POTENTIAL TEST

Section 1: Is the Game Distinctive?

Does it stand out viscerally?
Yes
Does the gameplay stand out?
Yes
Does it involve the player socially in a unique way?
Yes, the game adds an element of risk for any user that wants to be ranked.
The game also will feature a "card hub" for users who wish to trade cards with other users.

SECTION 2: Can the Game Reach a Large Market?

Is the idea behind the game easy to communicate?
Yes

Is the game based on something the market already knows and loves?
Yes, titles such as Magic: The Gathering and Advance Wars have shown that there is a place in the market for this type of game.

Is the target market large?
No, this game is targeting a niche market. The development costs are low making this a viable option.

One minute of Game play

The user is given a picture of a map with the location of several viable entry points for their new colony. They will choose a suitable location and witness the main base drop from low orbit and install itself over the power supply.

Once the colony base is installed they will be presented with a list of buildings, of which they can choose 3 to build initially and select a location within 3 hexagonal distance radius of the colony building.

Upon choosing the locations of these buildings, the user will then begin to take their first actual turn and the game will officially commence. The user will now be able to choose to what direction to take in order to advance their colony and eliminate external threats, building up and progressing each turn.

E:- Also I can test fairly well after being paid to do it for 3 years ;) If I find myself lacking time I can at least come up with detailed, structured test plans for other people to work from, similar to the ones I used to make for teams when I was testing :)

Learning skills for development in Uni so I'm not all that good at the moment, but I'll chip in what I can if something gets decided.

E2:- I'll do a mockup of a map/UI at some point too, it's just 1:30am and I'm fuck tired :P

Lana Torrin
March 16 2013, 03:49:48 AM
Game idea - Stoners online.

helgur
March 16 2013, 09:06:00 AM
Ok, here is a challenge for you all

Think of a simple 2D game, any ideas you have for a game?

Yeah it have to fit within the confines of that simple 2D game

Lana Torrin
March 16 2013, 09:29:46 AM

No.

And the reason is because I dont want people making money off my ideas.

Blutreiter
March 16 2013, 09:41:50 AM
Once again, Cripple Olympics.

400m wheelchair hurdles (breaking through the soundbarrier and using the forehead to clear the way)
wheelchair long jump (wheeeeee! make front flips)
wheelchair downhill racing (WHEEEEEEE!)
Amputee wrestling (headbutt yourself to victory!)
Amputee weightlifting (use your teeth)

Simple game. Most difficult thing probably will be drawing the required sprites.

Reference ideas:
Ski or Die
http://jwtiedostot.pp.fi/pelit/kuvat__/ski_or_die1.jpg

Skate or Die
http://ocremix.org/files/images/games/c64/9/skate-or-die-c64-ingame-19659.gif

Summer Games
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QnmKlzDOMjA/Sb8Va9e3kxI/AAAAAAAAISs/eDmaVB6cuHs/s288/summer_games_2.gif

Rapunz
March 16 2013, 09:44:45 AM
Kickstarter HOMEWORLD 3. Just sayin'

Jalif
March 16 2013, 09:47:15 AM

+ Small Paragraph only or people will just skip it.

Regarding Unity, I'm totally fine with it and it gives us the ability to expand towards other stuff if we want it (I've got experiance with it also). I prefer not to make the call for this one and prefer to let the guys who know best how to do it.

And here my Idea:

Scrapheap Starships.
Space is hostile and ships get lost; they drift in space and nobody knows what happened. However some space "travellers" see an opportunity to make profit and start scavenging these spaceships. These spaceships are dead in the water and they are dark inside. You start with a flashlight and a rifle and the rest is up to you. You will encounter aliens (we can expand later on to virus's, space hazards and more) that become more aggressive and stronger. In order to survive you need to find new weapons and equipment to upgrade your gear. However when you die you will have to start all over again. (basic)

(expanding goals). You could have a market where you can sell all this stuff that you don't need and buy other stuff. Also you would have a base where you can store stuff that don't disappear when you die. Some spaceships are so hostile from the inside that you would need help from other players because alone you would never make it. So it would be a co-op multiplayer experience as a squad (up to 4 people).

2D style: Top-Top like GTA2 with basic light mechanics for flashlight.

TLDR: 2d Realtime XCOM ALIEN ROGUE (CO-OP)?

Blutreiter
March 16 2013, 09:59:51 AM

+ Small Paragraph only or people will just skip it.

Regarding Unity, I'm totally fine with it and it gives us the ability to expand towards other stuff if we want it (I've got experiance with it also). I prefer not to make the call for this one and prefer to let the guys who know best how to do it.

And here my Idea:

Scrapheap Starships.
Space is hostile and ships get lost; they drift in space and nobody knows what happened. However some space "travellers" see an opportunity to make profit and start scavenging these spaceships. These spaceships are dead in the water and they are dark inside. You start with a flashlight and a rifle and the rest is up to you. You will encounter aliens (we can expand later on to virus's, space hazards and more) that become more aggressive and stronger. In order to survive you need to find new weapons and equipment to upgrade your gear. However when you die you will have to start all over again. (basic)

(expanding goals). You could have a market where you can sell all this stuff that you don't need and buy other stuff. Also you would have a base where you can store stuff that don't disappear when you die. Some spaceships are so hostile from the inside that you would need help from other players because alone you would never make it. So it would be a co-op multiplayer experience as a squad (up to 4 people).

2D style: Top-Top like GTA2 with basic light mechanics for flashlight.

TLDR: 2d Realtime XCOM ALIEN ROGUE (CO-OP)?

If you want to start off easy, I would suggest not being in top down view all the time, just when events happen that require your direct action.

This way you can start off developing the game more or less as a more complex multiple choice game with random events without the action part first, giving you a working model and time to flesh out the action later on.

You would already be able to implement stuff like character creation, rough ship stats, some tinkering and stuff.

helgur
March 16 2013, 10:18:56 AM
Allright I will pitch in with an idea

Any of you old enough to remember the classic "Alien Swarm (http://hol.abime.net/3230)"? Top down view shoot em up, pulse rifle action against hordes of aliens invading your spaceship(s)? I spent many hours in my early teens playing that game and I loved it.

Now let say we take the premise of Alien Breed mechanics, mix it in with the alien setting. You wake up in a big cargoship (think nostramo only bigger). *Scary omnious music playing in the background* you have to explore your way around. It is not a pure shoot em up, its a mix between that and an adventure game.

Simple game, simple to code, simple to design and it can be reused if you want to expand on the game later on (use the mechanics for boarding actions for a future FTL clone?)

What do you think?

Blutreiter
March 16 2013, 10:21:23 AM

Any of you old enough to remember the classic "Alien Swarm (http://hol.abime.net/3230)"? Top down view shoot em up, pulse rifle action against hordes of aliens invading your spaceship(s)? I spent many hours in my early teens playing that game and I loved it.

Now let say we take the premise of Alien Breed mechanics, mix it in with the alien setting. You wake up in a big cargoship (think nostramo only bigger). *Scary omnious music playing in the background* you have to explore your way around. It is not a pure shoot em up, its a mix between that and an adventure game.

Simple game, simple to code, simple to design and it can be reused if you want to expand on the game later on (use the mechanics for boarding actions for a future FTL clone?)

What do you think?

I was thinking of Alien Breed action sequences when I brought up my bit about doing the events and non action parts as framework first.

I would love it.

Jalif
March 16 2013, 11:12:02 AM

What do you think?

Similar like mine, just different approach in story. Totally up for it!

EDIT: which engine are you guys planning to use?

Found this one: http://www.synapsegaming.com/products/sunburn/engine/
Sadly Windows only, nvm, not even free

RazoR
March 16 2013, 12:43:23 PM
Fuck 3D tbh.

helgur
March 16 2013, 12:43:48 PM
Engine? Aren't you guys drooling all over unity, why are we back to discussing engine again?

Personally I think Unity would be overkill for a simple 2D game, if you guys want to use it though I am onboard. But I just want to throw Allegro out there again, since I just finished compiling it and made it work with xcode (which went surprisingly smooth, if anyone uses a mac and want some help with that just hauler, but the docs is p. straightforward and should suffice).

Mike Geig has an excellent tutorial on youtube on how to code 2D games in Allegro (using visual studio, but using visual studio or xcode on mac is irrelevant since the code will compile just as fine on both platforms)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9333715188CD7669

Pretty much covers everything we need:

Keyboard input
Mouse input
Timing frames
Collision detection
Bitmap handling including sprite animation
AI

Even if we do want to use unity, I recommend everyone interested in the topic we are discussing to have a look. Very interesting and informative

NoirAvlaa
March 16 2013, 01:03:59 PM
So like, new topic with all ideas in OP and vote options? Move on from there?

FatFreddy
March 16 2013, 01:04:21 PM
whatever the game, one intermediate boss will be Ralara, who flings poop and explosive pizza boxes at you

Jalif
March 16 2013, 01:09:20 PM
For me it really doesn't matte on a artistic side of point (just need to know technical details). I'm currently downloading sprites as reference files and also looking for audio. Also checking out hotline miami and checking how the game looks regarding animation (and learning a lot from it). Regarding engine, really open to anything. As long as I get to know how to make and deliver the graphics & sounds.

Shall I request for subforum or keep discussing for now here until we know more?

helgur
March 16 2013, 01:19:11 PM
Shall I request for subforum or keep discussing for now here until we know more?

Subforum would be nice, also I'll make a new thread when we have a subforum that lists all our human resources (thread where people post what they can contribute with and how we can get in touch with eachother). Going to make planning a bit easier

NoirAvlaa
March 16 2013, 01:19:22 PM
For me it really doesn't matte on a artistic side of point (just need to know technical details). I'm currently downloading sprites as reference files and also looking for audio. Also checking out hotline miami and checking how the game looks regarding animation (and learning a lot from it). Regarding engine, really open to anything. As long as I get to know how to make and deliver the graphics & sounds.

Mate you're running this show. Do what you think needs to be done. Jalif as art lead/producer :P

Hels
March 16 2013, 01:26:26 PM
Just push a note to Entrox if you want a subforum. Dunno if you want it private or not. (Would guess not)

Jalif
March 16 2013, 01:27:46 PM
I'll page entrox

EDIT: Done, now just wait :)

Jalif
March 16 2013, 03:23:42 PM
I've been already working on it a bit :oops:

I made a underground tile and a gun sci-fi'ish gun effect. Currently I'm making a character with walk cycle... however I totally suck at organic stuff so I'm building a robot instead atm which is much easier for me. Just to create some stuff so that some of you can test already with some graphics.

helgur
March 16 2013, 03:45:49 PM
So what the hell are we going to call this thing? "Alien Quack"?

NoirAvlaa
March 16 2013, 03:47:31 PM
Studioheap challenge presents... a game by autistic fat nerds.

Stahpatalk

Jalif
March 16 2013, 03:59:40 PM
nvm...

we will figure a name later on

spasm
March 16 2013, 04:13:51 PM
Studioheap sounds pretty good.

Sent from the SpasPhone

helgur
March 16 2013, 04:25:48 PM
https://github.com/failheap/Scrapheap-Starships

Nothing worthwhile to pull from repository yet, just made the account, will give people access to it when we get a bit more organized

Jalif
March 16 2013, 04:30:12 PM
How does github work? Never used it

Nicholai Pestot
March 16 2013, 04:49:57 PM
How does github work? Never used it

On-line version control/file sharing utility.

Never used it myself, but I've heard good things.

Project has taken its first step towards not failing.

Jalif
March 16 2013, 04:57:48 PM
Ok, made a little video to test stuff out. Note that everything you see are just image layers on top of each other, no light effects were used. I hope the 2d engine we will use can handle png transparency. Trick I'm going to use is to animate everything in After Effects and then export each frame of a animation and put that in a sprite.

Low quality but you will see enough :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIWok6JN27g&feature=youtu.be

here a higher quality image of robot, should be more then enough to test stuff out.
http://i.imgur.com/blTtl5F.png

helgur
March 16 2013, 05:12:15 PM
Thats actually very good! :)

As for what engine we decide to use I guess it is still undecided. I don't want to call any shots over anyones heads as I am certain more people than me want to join in on the coding front and want to have something to say on that issue. In the meantime I might code something rudimentary we can use if we decide to go towards allegro, upload the code to the repository so people can get a feel for it.

Also a subforum would be nice :P

balistic void
March 16 2013, 05:39:27 PM
Trying to get people to use c++ for their simple game project is basically trolling Helgur.

Blutreiter
March 16 2013, 05:51:29 PM
Spacefail - Fade to Quack

Winged Nazgul
March 16 2013, 05:53:40 PM
In before Razor pirates it.

Let's make an retro 2D puzzle platformer. Surely another one can't hurt.

helgur
March 16 2013, 06:01:57 PM
Trying to get people to use c++ for their simple game project is basically trolling Helgur.

I have no idea what people who actually want to get involved in this prefer to use, that is why I leave the question open (but as I've read there is at least one that wouldn't mind making the game in C). As for your trolling accusation, that is completely without justification.

Also lol at Blutreiters suggestion

edit: also, since you have suggested to use javascript can you suggest a JS library that would be as easy and robust to use as the C library I mentioned?

TheManFromDelmonte
March 16 2013, 06:16:40 PM
Unity is js. And learning it with something this simple will allow you to make something much better in future, it's a good skill to learn in general for game dev now.

allegro...isn't. C/++ is but as balistic says it's totally overkill for what's being made here.

helgur
March 16 2013, 06:33:04 PM
Unity is js. And learning it with something this simple will allow you to make something much better in future, it's a good skill to learn in general for game dev now.

allegro...isn't. C/++ is but as balistic says it's totally overkill for what's being made here.

I am inclined to agree with you with the first thing you said, that makes sense. But I disagree C/C++ is overkill for anything like this, when you specifically have a very good, tried and tested 2D library available for it. If C/C++ is overkill just because "I don't know it well enough" then JS is just as much overkill for me, and it becomes a silly argument.

But offcourse if you are doing this purely because you want to learn something new I guess unity might be better if that is more "industry standard" (allthough Allegro is being used on a lot of mobile devices aswell, I wouldn't dismiss that either if you are after learning something new).

I don't want to force through my opinion on the majority if the majority wants to go for unity, lets go for that. But I still think that is a lot more overkill for something simple as this :P

Edit: I am going to take a step back, this is a simple project where people should have fun participating. I don't want to be a killjoy

dpidcoe
March 16 2013, 06:39:30 PM
Knowing this crowd, so is trying to make them use github (or any version control for that matter) :P

NoirAvlaa
March 16 2013, 06:42:32 PM
Basically jalif, take a headcount of who can do what and make a decision... If you want this to fail then make a committee, if you want to succeed then research people's abilities and make a call... I literally think you should just act like producer on this and force direction. If c is overkill but 10 people are fluent in it then use c as it'll still be easier for the people actually doing the work.

E:- Also get on IRC.

Stahpatalk

Dark Flare
March 16 2013, 07:09:39 PM
XNA is good, Unity is good, Cryengine is good.

Would be up for contributing code.

Jalif
March 16 2013, 07:21:52 PM
k, I see a lot of people liking Unity and so am I. Unity has an extreme large database and community. So if we get into trouble, we can ask for help easily. Loads of good games have been made or are being made with Unity. So Unity is best decision we can take, specially since the majority of the people here prefer to head that way. Unity is also build around C language which most coders know. I have very limited coding experience but I don't think there is an overkill regarding code. If it is overkill then it should be easy to achieve little things and then we can always expand if it becomes successful.

What we need to do is to check out how the 2D within Unity works. I also suggest TOP view like GTA2 style since that is "easy" to make and less hassle with complex animations. Also other people will be able to join in and make sprites as long as you can play a bit with photoshop. Lets face it, more people have photoshop skills then 3d skills.

I've been browsing around and noticed that this game is also made with Unity. Perfect 2D style (side view instead of top) but it gives us a good example what we can pull off eventually. If it ever happens that it becomes amazing (you never know, dare to dream) that we can sell it then we can do it easily without requesting a license. Source, UDK & CryEngine eventually want a part of the profit, Unity doesn't (as far as I'm aware).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwfRYGVADL0&feature=player_embedded

I will do a headcount ones we get a subforum and then I can write a little plan of approach. We will take this the easy way, one step at the time. If it fails, no worries, we will have learned along the way. If it works out, well, you never know what will happen. We toughed that Minecraft would be so successful?

EDIT: extra vid of a game made by unity as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsCpDaSooWA

ANOTHER EDIT: For those who are really intrested regarding building up a 2D game with unity. This seems a nice place to start: http://www.rocket5studios.com/tutorials/creating-2d-games-with-unity3d-part-1/

NoirAvlaa
March 16 2013, 07:40:31 PM
Get on irc m8

Jalif
March 16 2013, 07:43:13 PM
Get on irc m8

Will need to find an IRC client first.

helgur
March 16 2013, 07:45:15 PM
Get on irc m8

Will need to find an IRC client first.

http://failheap-challenge.com/showthread.php?5399-fhc-on-irc-mk2

Jalif
March 16 2013, 07:54:26 PM
Headcount:

Graphics and Such
- Jalif
- (Pattern but not really available)

Code and Such
- Helgur?
- Dark Flare?
- dpidcoe?
- Blutreiter?
- NoirAvlaa?
- Renox?
- Rakshasa The Cat (http://failheap-challenge.com/member.php?1496-Rakshasa-The-Cat)?

helgur
March 16 2013, 08:14:04 PM
I'm not sure how much of an asset I will be with Unity, I got very little experience with JS and none with C#, think you can take me off the list for now. I'll download and play a bit around with it, but I need some time before I can commit to any coding.

NoirAvlaa
March 16 2013, 08:24:58 PM
Haha I'm learning to code but right now I'm pretty terrible at it :P

TheManFromDelmonte
March 16 2013, 08:32:05 PM
I am inclined to agree with you with the first thing you said, that makes sense. But I disagree C/C++ is overkill for anything like this, when you specifically have a very good, tried and tested 2D library available for it. If C/C++ is overkill just because "I don't know it well enough" then JS is just as much overkill for me, and it becomes a silly argument.

But offcourse if you are doing this purely because you want to learn something new I guess unity might be better if that is more "industry standard" (allthough Allegro is being used on a lot of mobile devices aswell, I wouldn't dismiss that either if you are after learning something new).

I was specifically thinking of memory management. And XYZFactoryManagerManager classes you end up with in C++, much as I love it.
It's interesting allegro is used on mobile, I wasn't aware. I thought android especially had lots of problems with C/native code, but perhaps not. I'll keep an eye on it in future, thanks.

Good luck all :D

Nicho Void
March 16 2013, 09:05:48 PM
Signing up as a replacement coder for when the inevitable burnout/loss of interest with the original crew happens.

arian snow
March 16 2013, 09:05:49 PM
I'm pretty proficient in writing simulators in C++, currently working on a physics based Agent Based simulator. My speciality is AI.

Might have the time to pitch in if the idea and management of it is 'capable'...

dpidcoe
March 16 2013, 09:17:36 PM
- dpidcoe?
Java
C#
C++
Version control

Unfortunately I don't have the time to help out. I'd be happy to poach knowledge off you guys and bounce ideas, but the last thing you probably need is more armchair game makers.

Renox
March 16 2013, 09:31:51 PM
- Renox?

I'm best with Java and Python. Not great, but I can usually make stuff work. I've mostly done data analysis and the like. Very limited experience with using graphics.

I've also done C back in the day, but that was in embedded environments (microcontrollers, not computer programs) and next to no C++ experience. JS I've only played around with two weeks this winter, so almost no skills in this.

I don't know Unity. I do know pygame and pyglet for python.

I've worked with Mercurial as version control.

Nicholai Pestot
March 16 2013, 09:37:26 PM
If I wasn't running an indy project at the moment, I would be all over this.

Jason Marshall
March 16 2013, 09:53:25 PM
First things first.

Who will we protect our IP?

Stretch goal DRM!

Renox
March 16 2013, 09:55:35 PM
First things first.

Stretch goal DRM!

Always online DRM!

RazoR
March 16 2013, 09:56:57 PM
First things first.

Stretch goal DRM!

>implying someone would want it

Devec
March 16 2013, 10:36:05 PM
I would love to work on a game because I have lots of time, I guess I can add on the art assets front because I have some, albeit it perhaps limited, knowledge, of 3d modelling. Two dimensions shouldn't be a problem.

However as far as that goes, I have always wanted to make a proper survival horror game of ye olde days. But seeing how Frictional games (makers of penumbra and amnesia) take months to develop a single game I don't know how plausible it is. Still I have been thinking about using my loads of sparetime on getting acquinted with the fotm 3D program.

Jalif
March 16 2013, 10:41:41 PM
I would love to work on a game because I have lots of time, I guess I can add on the art assets front because I have some, albeit it perhaps limited, knowledge, of 3d modelling. Two dimensions shouldn't be a problem.

However as far as that goes, I have always wanted to make a proper survival horror game of ye olde days. But seeing how Frictional games (makers of penumbra and amnesia) take months to develop a single game I don't know how plausible it is. Still I have been thinking about using my loads of sparetime on getting acquinted with the fotm 3D program.

Sweet, wouldn't mind help regarding 2d stuff.

Rakshasa The Cat
March 16 2013, 11:14:36 PM
There's no game "idea" to even consider. If you got an idea show it, else it's just that, fuuuuu.

Let's just say that the free time I got I spend working on my bt client~~~

So please, show something worth getting worked up about, cause even the current ideas are half-heared.

Jalif
March 16 2013, 11:18:26 PM
There's no game "idea" to even consider. If you got an idea show it, else it's just that, fuuuuu.

Let's just say that the free time I got I spend working on my bt client~~~

So please, show something worth getting worked up about, cause even the current ideas are half-heared.

Helgur and Me are currently chatting about it. We got some great ideas and tomorrow we will be on TS talking about it and sharing files. By then we will also will have an idea (at least some of it written out)

erichkknaar
March 16 2013, 11:40:45 PM
ANOTHER EDIT: For those who are really intrested regarding building up a 2D game with unity. This seems a nice place to start: http://www.rocket5studios.com/tutorials/creating-2d-games-with-unity3d-part-1/

Update with the tutorial version that only uses free tools. SM2 looks great, but its $150 and most of the people collaborating would need it.

http://www.rocket5studios.com/tutorials/make-a-2d-game-in-unity3d-using-only-free-tools-part-1/

I suppose I can help out. I've been meaning to take a deeper look at Unity, so this would probably fulfill that.

My real strength would be if we wanted to do a proper multi player game, in terms of server architecture and infrastructure.

Also, sound and music. I have a great synth collection.

Saul
March 16 2013, 11:49:38 PM
Volunteering for story-writing, if this actually happens. o/

Hels
March 17 2013, 12:23:11 AM
Volunteering for story-writing, if this actually happens. o/

Confirming I can help write or be idea guy, no other useful skills. :3

Blutreiter
March 17 2013, 12:37:27 AM
I will still stick with what I do best - Music and Sound engineering, can do some code, previous experience with C++, scratched Java, can pixel if necessary.

RazoR
March 17 2013, 02:01:32 AM
Volunteering for story-writing, if this actually happens. o/Confirming I can help write or be idea guy, no other useful skills. :3Get in the line, mate.

I knew some C++ eons ago. Harder than riding a bicycle tbh.
Otherwise i'm useless except for some photoshop skills and generally good taste~~~

NoirAvlaa
March 17 2013, 02:02:19 AM
Volunteering for story-writing, if this actually happens. o/Confirming I can help write or be idea guy, no other useful skills. :3Get in the line, mate.

Otherwise i'm useless except for some photoshop skills and generally good taste~~~

Mate we're just gonna have you as the face of the game :razor:

RazoR
March 17 2013, 02:03:07 AM

Otherwise i'm useless except for some photoshop skills and generally good taste~~~Mate we're just gonna have you as the face of the game :razor:Hopefully i get killed early on then.

Meester
March 17 2013, 02:53:14 AM
Theme Concentration Camp?

Lana Torrin
March 17 2013, 02:57:36 AM
If I wasn't running an indy project at the moment, I would be all over this.

This is going to be the most dysfunctional indi project you have ever seen. You'll want to stay at least 50ft away at all times.

Jalif
March 17 2013, 02:52:15 PM
For those intrested. I made a document of the idea and how we are going to approach it. Helgur is testing some stuff atm.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PzkyB_avrdcPcJTgF7K4QqkHLeDvAp2805JM-PJspo0/edit

Sirrush
March 17 2013, 03:01:12 PM
I'd love to help out, but all I can really do is alpha test (and to lesser extent QA I guess), as that is the only thing I have several years worth of experience with.

I'm on board if you need more of that, although I do hope you guys wont treat QA like an afterthought like most big companies

Isyel
March 17 2013, 04:33:40 PM
Thinking about it, i find it funny this forum is trying to make a game.

The attention span for new and shiny things here is so short it makes me wonder how long before you all ditch the project. :P

dpidcoe
March 17 2013, 05:37:57 PM
The attention span for new and shiny things here is so short it makes me wonder how long before you all ditch the project. :P You're just being bitter. This project will do great and create a wonderful game in the end~

Renox
March 17 2013, 05:42:19 PM
For those intrested. I made a document of the idea and how we are going to approach it. Helgur is testing some stuff atm.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PzkyB_avrdcPcJTgF7K4QqkHLeDvAp2805JM-PJspo0/edit

I'm still interested in helping.

Jalif
March 17 2013, 06:22:17 PM

I'm still interested in helping.

You are very welcome m8. Currently I'm following Unity tutorials and writing stuff down and making some sketches & ideas to make it work. I will start soon enough making the actual game.

For those who want to get a headstart and see how our workflow MIGHT look like then I suggest you check this unity tutorial: http://www.rocket5studios.com/tutorials/skillswap-making-a-2-player-2d-game-with-unity/

arian snow
March 17 2013, 08:37:10 PM
Seem like a fine idea to start out with, very scalable.

I have zero experience developing games, writing simulators is a very different endeavour, as the focus of simulators is the modelling of real behaviour, strict timing, adherence to (real) physics. So take my input from that perspective.

I have some issue with the 'vision' document as it has no mention of the Analysis and Design proces, that should be the first order of business, Analyse the team and project, set reasonable goals, split the game development into chunks and define the chunks interfaces (might just be well documented .h files for the game itself), simple diagrams are nice! Skipping proper Design is the downfall of any decently sized software project.

Also well defined work and communication ethics, as arogance and detail nazism will kill the process, people do this on their spare time, so it should be fun!

That said it will properly be fun to develop some dynamic and evolving critter AI, for a game like this. I just don't know where I will be in a couple of months, either Phd or job... it's all up in the air.

helgur
March 18 2013, 01:11:29 AM
Allright, me and Jalif have had some sessions on IRC together where we did some exchanging of ideas, where we also discussed dev tools for the game and we both agree we should still stick with unity for now and see how many we can get onboard with that. Unity has a far lower threshold for people in general to embrace and understand. I'll make an effort into reading up and learn to utilise unity to an extent we can make some progress soonish.

But allegro will be a fallback plan just in case. I've updated the allegro repository (https://github.com/failheap/Scrapheap-Starships) with some commits where I have fleshed out a very crude skeleton for a 2D game. What I have implemented in it so far:

Routines + event handling for Keyboard and mouse input
Event handling for timing
Template for entities including the player
Projectiles
Simple screen resolution control

What I have not implemented but routines that need be, should we continue with allegro:

Collision detection
AI
More NPC entities (monsters)
Level generation
Adding sprites to objects and entities
+ fine tuning of interface

So anyone that is thinking about and is interested in doing some C/C++ coding with 2D programming could pull the code from the repository, play a bit around with it and familiarise themselves with allegro, if you want to contribute and know unity though, it would be better off if you stick with that.

Jalif
March 18 2013, 08:25:27 AM
Nicely done Helgur

To the rest. We are really putting some effort in it and I linked enough tutorials to get into unity. There is no need for plugins that need to be payed. I've been checking it out myself and I know some basics. We just need people to start with it and get to know unity, mess around with it. If nobody is going to pick it up then I will let helgur working on allegro for a bit longer since he knows it inside out.

Personally I'm having a difficult enough time making a character. Think I will make something rather basic first before I'm going to give it full animations.

Blutreiter
March 18 2013, 09:16:01 AM
True to Murphys Law, I actually caught flu, so I didn't do shit yesterday except browse though some of my old music files, but I have some very concrete ideas about the sound implementation. I will join you folks tomorrow or wednesday on IRC.

Does Allegro/Unity use FMOD?

arian snow
March 18 2013, 09:45:37 AM
Whats the IRC channel address? Oh dear, it's been years since I have used IRC.

Mind if I enable Cmake compiling for us linux toting sheep?

Lallante
March 18 2013, 10:56:46 AM
Guarantee this will down to 1 guy within 3 weeks and then die completely 2 weeks after that. No fucking way does anyone here have the stamina to commit to a vanity project for the necessary year+ hard work.

Jalif
March 18 2013, 11:21:38 AM
Guarantee this will down to 1 guy within 3 weeks and then die completely 2 weeks after that. No fucking way does anyone here have the stamina to commit to a vanity project for the necessary year+ hard work.

Go away hater

---

On topic. have been working on the hero which holds a pistol. Also making a "guide" on how to design stuff for the game and how maps will be build up.

http://imgur.com/f5L4m0S (might look strange if you zoom in, I'm working on retina display atm)

Jalif
March 18 2013, 11:22:55 AM
Whats the IRC channel address? Oh dear, it's been years since I have used IRC.

Mind if I enable Cmake compiling for us linux toting sheep?

#failheap (irc.griefplay.net)

Also made a channel in IRC (not sure if it stays active when nobody is online)
#Studioheap

Jalif
March 18 2013, 11:24:26 AM
True to Murphys Law, I actually caught flu, so I didn't do shit yesterday except browse though some of my old music files, but I have some very concrete ideas about the sound implementation. I will join you folks tomorrow or wednesday on IRC.

Does Allegro/Unity use FMOD?

Cool... just open convo with any of us when you are on IRC.
Also made a channel in IRC (not sure if it stays active when nobody is online)
#Studioheap

Jalif
March 18 2013, 03:33:53 PM
k, #Studioheap is a registered channel now so you can join that when you want.

Devec is working currently on a improved version of the character that I made. He made some nice progress already.

I'm working on a document where you can find all the information on how the game will look and play.

Can't wait until Blu can make some starting sound effects.

I will ask Helgur to look at light mechanics ones he is done with the basics.

Everybody is still welcome to join in.

Diicc Tater
March 18 2013, 03:44:35 PM
fuck I wish I was a savvy codemonkey right now...

Victoria Steckersaurus
March 18 2013, 05:02:16 PM
fuck I wish I was a savvy codemonkey right now...

Dis. Wishing I had kept up with what little c++ and such I had to learn back in college. Was working on learning objective-C last summer but got a little bored.

What's good about javascript? There are a couple websites I have to use that are based on it but they are TERRIBLE and make me :cut: every fucking time at work, but that's a mix of poor/buggy coding, an occasionally slow internet connection, and having to use IE - and not a recent version, as we're still running Windows XP. So JS may be decent and I just hate the couple places I have to deal with it.

Worth learning?

balistic void
March 18 2013, 05:27:22 PM
Modern html5 game stuff will work on any platform or browser except for internet explorer, microsoft getting deservedly left behind. You won't have any "different platform" stuff to worry about unless you start doing hardcore sound/input/graphics stuff (that strains the capabilities of the underlying hardware).

You can just install chrome or whatever on xp tho right?

All you tough guys with your mad c++ skills will have no problem with javascript. Just think of it as c++ but with all the compiling and linking and header files etc taken away. You can even kinda write classes in it (a different kind of oo). It's possible to create shitty code in any language tho :p

Amantus
March 18 2013, 05:46:27 PM

>SpaceRailwayTycoon

Space Road Truckers game

2D

this is a sick idea

RazoR
March 18 2013, 06:53:17 PM

>SpaceRailwayTycoon

Space Road Truckers game

2D

this is a sick idea

i concur

Muffinsrevenger
March 18 2013, 07:03:35 PM
What about putting it in fallout/russia but having the same idea of raiders and dickbags along the roads to contend with?

Also, i can do like writing or something if it ever gets that far, i'm pretty half-decent at making up stupid bullshit

Jalif
March 18 2013, 07:07:00 PM
no

RazoR
March 18 2013, 07:08:30 PM
Space doesn't have trees. Unlike fallout/russia.

Jalif
March 18 2013, 07:26:19 PM
He will post it himself

RazoR
March 18 2013, 07:30:15 PM
Voting that strict 90 degrees top-down generally looks shit and is only good for shoot-em-ups.

Devec
March 18 2013, 07:31:16 PM
Worked on the player character today already, everything done by just some simple 2d but it will suffice for now.

http://i.imgur.com/zXdDLLn.png

Will probably look into some other options like low-polygon 3d models.

Minion
March 18 2013, 08:51:56 PM
Think I will make something rather basic first before I'm going to give it full animations.

This, this, this. Seriously. Placeholders are perfectly ok, especially early on. Character is a box? That's cool, so long as he's shooting little boxes from the center of his box.

Which brings us to "prototyping". Prototyping is great because you can test things without wasting tons of time perfecting everything just to find out it's a bad idea. CCP's "multiplayer incarna prototype (http://failheap-challenge.com/showthread.php?7120)" 9m into the video (I know, I know, :CCP: and :Incarna:, bear with me) is exactly what you should be doing: ghetto as fuck but playable, and for a fraction of the cost.

If that seems weird to you, think about all the times you were bored and started spoofing the lyrics of a song, came up with something perfect, but found out the hard way it didn't quite flow as well as it did in your head. Prototyping is basically making sure the syllables fit and everything sounds ok by whispering the new song half-heartedly to yourself before making acting a fool in a living room stage performance for your friends.

IceBlock
March 18 2013, 08:52:28 PM
If you're making it multiplayer etc. etc. I can help with servers, design and implementation. Can also help with some coding if this shit turns serious.

Blutreiter
March 18 2013, 09:07:36 PM
Successfully acquired metric fucktons of raw sound material i can use to start building my own samples from scratch.

As in 6 GB worth of sounds from all over the world including nature, industry and whatever.

Tomorrow I will start with some kind of menu music.

Actually, what kind of sounds do you need first? Footsteps, ambience and firing sounds I reckon.

Jalif
March 18 2013, 11:36:23 PM
Successfully acquired metric fucktons of raw sound material i can use to start building my own samples from scratch.

As in 6 GB worth of sounds from all over the world including nature, industry and whatever.

Tomorrow I will start with some kind of menu music.

Actually, what kind of sounds do you need first? Footsteps, ambience and firing sounds I reckon.

Pretty much what you said. Footsteps, some spaceship/horror/hum ambiance and firing sounds.

Start with that and we will build it up.

Working prototype first before we continue.

Jalif
March 19 2013, 09:05:10 AM
Still no subforum :(

Maximillian
March 19 2013, 01:43:51 PM
I have actually been a very small part of a similar forum generated game that actually got to a playable stage.

I won't give the name as that will ID the forum but it was a alien vs civilian vs space marine 2D game inspired by Urban Dead.

Aliens are lose on a space station. A shuttle of Marines arrives only to have the station's auto-defenses trash their shuttle. Now the civillians and the marines must get to the only functional escape pod - trouble is there is only room for 2 inside.

Meanwhile the aliens move about the station looking for humans to kill and consume because doing so grants additional abilities from a small tree.

The civilians have the advantage of been able to use certain station functions if they are at a control consol, while the marines have weapons and some armour. Both can and must search for loot and supplies as the marines armour and weapons use energy cells that will run out and the civilians will be looking for ENVI suits, small arms and equipment.

The interesting part was that both the aliens and the humans did best when co-operating, but the temptation was always strong to "jack on your mates" to steal that tasty human or kill that civilian and grab his plasma arc so you can cut through bulkheads.

Was based on a AP system that generated over time on a simple java based web browser.

Of course it stopped when the two main movers - a graphic artist and a java coder - got jobs again.

Was fun to play - best time was when two humans - a civie and a marine - who had betrayed everyone else finally got to the Pod hanger to find the last uber alien inside - a betrayed civie had opened the door so it could get in.

Having a successful F2P game that gets a profile would make any serious project more likely to succeed.

helgur
March 19 2013, 01:48:30 PM

I can make a forum if you want, also we need a bot for the IRC channel?

Jalif
March 19 2013, 02:07:31 PM

I can make a forum if you want, also we need a bot for the IRC channel?

Plz, no need for IRC bot yet tho.

Jalif
March 19 2013, 02:08:38 PM
I have actually been a very small part of a similar forum generated game that actually got to a playable stage.

I won't give the name as that will ID the forum but it was a alien vs civilian vs space marine 2D game inspired by Urban Dead.

Aliens are lose on a space station. A shuttle of Marines arrives only to have the station's auto-defenses trash their shuttle. Now the civillians and the marines must get to the only functional escape pod - trouble is there is only room for 2 inside.

Meanwhile the aliens move about the station looking for humans to kill and consume because doing so grants additional abilities from a small tree.

The civilians have the advantage of been able to use certain station functions if they are at a control consol, while the marines have weapons and some armour. Both can and must search for loot and supplies as the marines armour and weapons use energy cells that will run out and the civilians will be looking for ENVI suits, small arms and equipment.

The interesting part was that both the aliens and the humans did best when co-operating, but the temptation was always strong to "jack on your mates" to steal that tasty human or kill that civilian and grab his plasma arc so you can cut through bulkheads.

Was based on a AP system that generated over time on a simple java based web browser.

Of course it stopped when the two main movers - a graphic artist and a java coder - got jobs again.

Was fun to play - best time was when two humans - a civie and a marine - who had betrayed everyone else finally got to the Pod hanger to find the last uber alien inside - a betrayed civie had opened the door so it could get in.

Having a successful F2P game that gets a profile would make any serious project more likely to succeed.

We will see if it become F2P, a small price or just open source. We are still in the beginning stage and anything can happen.

Jalif
March 19 2013, 02:38:28 PM
Also Helgur, how is your progress going with the prototype?

Anybody else looking into unity?

helgur
March 19 2013, 03:57:22 PM
Also Helgur, how is your progress going with the prototype?

Anybody else looking into unity?

I haven't worked much on it except tweaked a minor bug where the app didn't properly detect projectile collision with position of mouse cursor, since I am trying to learn unity atm. If you want I can send you the mac binaries so you can have a look at whats actually accomplished (you can move/run around and shoot projectiles, player is represented by a 30x30 px square).

Also forum is up sorting categories'n stuff. Should enable some sort of file sharing feature so we can easily share files