PDA

View Full Version : Router Problem

Mrenda
May 6 2011, 08:56:47 PM
I'm having a problem with my router. Pages on the internet refuse to load, timeout, or go very slow. The same happens when I try and connect to the router's admin page, so it's not the internet. No other computers on the network are having this problem. I've tried connecting to the router via a wireless connection and a wired connection and the problem persists. I have Windows Firewall turned off, and no other firewalls.

Any idea what the problem is?

56k Lagman
May 6 2011, 09:01:25 PM
Have you done a power cycle?

Aea
May 6 2011, 09:08:45 PM
Possibly a DCHP conflict, do you have any machines where you don't have auto DCHP set?

More then likely a problem with the machine, does it have problems on other networks?

Mrenda
May 6 2011, 09:14:07 PM
I have power cycled it.

I don't know about other networks, this is a desktop that's having the problems.

DCHP thing, I don't know. There's about seven computers connecting to the network, and we've never had a problem. There's nothing new on it either. How would I check (we have four windows 7 computers, an iPod Touch 4th Gen, a linux machine and an XBox.)

Also, this is a fairly new install of Windows 7, and the computer is less than a year old, so I hope that isn't a problem.

Xennith
May 6 2011, 09:28:48 PM
What is the IP address of your router? What happens when you do an ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew?

Mrenda
May 6 2011, 09:43:54 PM
The problem spread to other computers. So I reset the router again, and this cured it. (I reset it by doing the power cycle while holding down the reset button.) This gave me access to the admin page on the router. I saw a computer on it, that no-one in the family said was theirs. So I've blacklisted the mac address and I'll see if someone mentions their internet not working. In the meantime, I'm going to believe we were being hacked. This shouldn't be the case as someone would have to sit in our garden with a laptop, as that's as far as the wireless extends.

Although it could just be the router dying, and a friend of my siblings computer who visited with their computer still showing up.

Takon Orlani
May 6 2011, 10:17:00 PM
Dhcp problem I'd say.

Try assigning static addresses to your most common users.

Mrenda
May 6 2011, 10:25:17 PM
I'll try that Takon. If that doesn't work I'll be getting a new router, I think.

Especially as after I hard reset the router, it was fine for a while. Now it's degraded again, and it's continuing to degrade.

Aea
May 6 2011, 10:29:40 PM
I'll try that Takon. If that doesn't work I'll be getting a new router, I think.

Especially as after I hard reset the router, it was fine for a while. Now it's degraded again, and it's continuing to degrade.

Could also try custom firmware if any are available for your box.

Mrenda
May 6 2011, 10:33:57 PM
I'm already using custom firmware. It's a Linksys WRT-54G that I have and it's running DD-WRT (I used it to boost the transmission power, as my room is through a lot of walls.)

Any idea where I'd set unique ip addresses for the users on the network? What am I looking to change?

Aea
May 6 2011, 10:43:57 PM
I'm already using custom firmware. It's a Linksys WRT-54G that I have and it's running DD-WRT (I used it to boost the transmission power, as my room is through a lot of walls.)

Any idea where I'd set unique ip addresses for the users on the network? What am I looking to change?

Two ways:

On the router ensure you have DHCP set to auto, then you should be able to reserve IPs by address, give them higher numbers (200, 201, etc) for the last block.

On your computers ensure you have DHCP set to automatic (no static, no automatic w/ static IP)

or...

On your router ensure you have DHCP set to "auto."

On your computers set a static ip, ending in 200, 201, etc.

Google for how to do this on various OSes, should be in network settings.

Mrenda
May 6 2011, 10:56:25 PM
Set a static IP (via my OS.) It's made no difference, if not worsening the problem.

Looks like it's new router time.

Aea
May 6 2011, 11:00:47 PM
Set a static IP (via my OS.) It's made no difference, if not worsening the problem.

Did you do this for _ALL_ computers. Your entire network has to be configured in this manner.

Mrenda
May 6 2011, 11:07:42 PM

Did you do this for _ALL_ computers. Your entire network has to be configured in this manner.

No. I didn't realise that would be necessary. I'll get on it now.

Mrenda
May 6 2011, 11:19:46 PM
Just changed all the computers on the network. Problem persists.

Takon Orlani
May 7 2011, 02:13:30 AM
Just changed all the computers on the network. Problem persists.
Then by elimination...

EntroX
May 7 2011, 02:30:17 AM
from reading the thread i'd daresay the router might be toast.

i've had plenty of ~cheapo~ routers just go :psyduck:

try restoring it to defaults (as in, vanilla router) to see if it fixes the issue, also i believe DDWRT had some statistics/logs of the resource usage?

Pelias
May 10 2011, 11:07:55 AM
The problem spread to other computers. So I reset the router again, and this cured it. (I reset it by doing the power cycle while holding down the reset button.) This gave me access to the admin page on the router. I saw a computer on it, that no-one in the family said was theirs. So I've blacklisted the mac address and I'll see if someone mentions their internet not working. In the meantime, I'm going to believe we were being hacked. This shouldn't be the case as someone would have to sit in our garden with a laptop, as that's as far as the wireless extends.

Although it could just be the router dying, and a friend of my siblings computer who visited with their computer still showing up.

Ever heard about Can-tenna?

With directional wifi antenna (even the one made from can of pringles), you can connect from several km away with LOS.

Pelias
May 10 2011, 11:13:04 AM
Check temps, consider adding some old heatsink to it, reflash new firmware.

Either firmware got corrupted, or it's overheating (and firmware got corrupted). Fix those two, and only if it still doesn't work, it's trash time.

EntroX
May 10 2011, 04:20:45 PM
Check temps, consider adding some old heatsink to it, reflash new firmware.

Either firmware got corrupted, or it's overheating (and firmware got corrupted). Fix those two, and only if it still doesn't work, it's trash time.

p. much