PDA

View Full Version : [TMA] Flying Destroyers

Cue1*
February 23 2013, 05:17:49 PM
So more and more I'm finding myself asking someone else to swap into a Sabre, and time after time I'm realizing I should be the one flying a Sabre. So, I have an alt I'm training up, and with the new skill split I decided to go ahead and train up destroyers. I plan to bug cheeba for 100 destroyers of some kind and loose them all in RvB's FFA system. I have both a Thrasher and a Coercer fit that I plan to fly, but I have no experience flying a destroyer, as I've always been a cruiser or battlecruiser guy.

Obviously, I'm going to get a bit of experience loosing 100 of them, but what all do I need to know before hand or what tips can anyone give me?

the thing from the buzz buzz

prometheus
February 23 2013, 05:21:35 PM
9/10 times, avoid things bigger than frigates unless you're comfortable kiting for extended periods of time.

Dread Operative
February 23 2013, 05:26:02 PM
Beware ASs racial resists cause they will get you every time. You are a glass cannon, start off overheated but watch your heat with 8 guns.

Varcaus
February 23 2013, 05:33:26 PM
Stay the fuck away from condors

Cue1*
February 23 2013, 06:27:12 PM
9/10 times, avoid things bigger than frigates unless you're comfortable kiting for extended periods of time.

How extended? I used to fly the shit out of 100mn Lokis, Cynabals and Vagas(back in the day) so kiting isn't a new concept for me. I would assume I could engage most t1 cruisers as I'm faster and could kite them out.

Dread Operative
February 23 2013, 06:35:11 PM

How extended? I used to fly the shit out of 100mn Lokis, Cynabals and Vagas(back in the day) so kiting isn't a new concept for me. I would assume I could engage most t1 cruisers as I'm faster and could kite them out.

You are actually only slight faster then cruisers. With your signature and MWD bloom most cruisers will track you easy. Getting under their guns is the best bet.

Cue1*
February 23 2013, 06:38:18 PM

You are actually only slight faster then cruisers. With your signature and MWD bloom most cruisers will track you easy. Getting under their guns is the best bet.

Aww shit, that thing I'm terrible at, manual orbiting. Here's to practice I suppose.

prometheus
February 23 2013, 06:43:02 PM
Better to just avoid fighting most cruisers tbh.
There are plenty of frigates to engage, t1 and t2 alike.

Cue1*
February 23 2013, 06:47:47 PM
Better to just avoid fighting most cruisers tbh.
There are plenty of frigates to engage, t1 and t2 alike.

Alright. What about fighting more than one frigate? My trick with a 100mn Loki won't work, lacking the 40 something km web hurts.

prometheus
February 23 2013, 06:50:03 PM
Depends on the kind of frigate and if ewar is involved.
You'll shred almost all T1 frigates and Interceptors, but AFs can be extremely tough and ewar will give you a really hard time

Davion Falcon
February 23 2013, 08:30:05 PM
Shield AC Thrashers with a web and no point are surprisingly effective in a brawl (similar concept to the shield pointless daredevil and gank coercer).

Also, burst+2xambit rigs for range (base range on an AC thrasher is some 6.2km, the extra range helps).

Longdrinks
February 23 2013, 09:22:34 PM
only fly coercer if you are interested in owning everything and getting sick kills. Good damage, good range and good tracking.

other then that i really like this cormorant: http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=16396579
200 dps out 20k for for 4 mill, its hard to beat that for bargain bin pvp

W0lf Crendraven
February 24 2013, 04:10:35 PM
Fly arty thrasher, is awesome fun! As posted above railcorm is fun aswell.

Dont bother with brawling dessies, in the current meta they arent very good and get raped by any lml ships.

Badboy K
February 26 2013, 04:05:09 PM
The real problem i get flying dessies is actually getting a fight since most solo frigs won't engage you, most of them are not that stupid to engage a ship that is made and fitted to counter frigs and if you engage more of them at same time, your tank wont hold more then 3 (2)...

t1 fitted t1 frigs with 3 month old chars excluded of course...

prometheus
February 26 2013, 04:41:47 PM
He said he'll be in rvb, so there will be plenty

Cue1*
February 26 2013, 05:11:37 PM
The real problem i get flying dessies is actually getting a fight since most solo frigs won't engage you, most of them are not that stupid to engage a ship that is made and fitted to counter frigs and if you engage more of them at same time, your tank wont hold more then 3 (2)...

Not worried about that at all, RvB provides a ridiculous number of targets who will freely engage my Wolf in their Atron, not worried about coercer vs rifter. :p

Longdrinks
February 26 2013, 05:34:24 PM
0.0 is better if you wanna force people to fight, no gate guns and bubbles make it a lot easier to get spontaneous frigate fights.

Cue1*
February 26 2013, 06:24:15 PM
0.0 is better if you wanna force people to fight, no gate guns and bubbles make it a lot easier to get spontaneous frigate fights.

How is that better than highsec? No gateguns, bubbles don't change much with frigates.

Longdrinks
February 26 2013, 07:01:53 PM
Can fight anyone you see. And just plonking down a inline bubble keeps people from doing burnbacks and jumping through gates the second they feel uneasy about the fight.

Badboy K
February 26 2013, 07:05:22 PM

Not worried about that at all, RvB provides a ridiculous number of targets who will freely engage my Wolf in their Atron, not worried about coercer vs rifter. :p

i'm so gona join RvB then, i joined FW but after a month of pew pew and many kills every night it has come harder to kill stuff

Cue1*
February 26 2013, 09:47:51 PM

i'm so gona join RvB then, i joined FW but after a month of pew pew and many kills every night it has come harder to kill stuff

In RvB you need to take bad fights to get good kills, but there's many to be found. 3v1 sounds bad in lowsec, but in RvB, you can bet money that at least one pilot will be terrible so you're more of 2v1 with a third free kill if you can finish off the first two.

W0lf Crendraven
February 27 2013, 04:39:30 PM
Seriously, you complain about people using links/falcons whatever when what you do is way way worse, using rvb as a bittervet place to farm noob kills is as bad as it gets!

Stay the fuck out of there and fight people who offer you a challenge (if your terrible at this game and just look for casual fun join, but if your any good at this game show some character!

Daneel Trevize
February 27 2013, 04:54:47 PM
But at least people in RvB are there to learn, why not demonstrate some skill to them rather than leave them to fight other noobs? Accelerate their learning.

W0lf Crendraven
February 27 2013, 05:37:28 PM
If one is in rvb and explains everything to the noobs, gives them pointers, fits and general advice then thats a good thing. If you use rvb to farm kills from noobs who think they are given a fair chance its pathetic.

Cue1*
February 27 2013, 09:23:21 PM
Seriously, you complain about people using links/falcons whatever when what you do is way way worse, using rvb as a bittervet place to farm noob kills is as bad as it gets!

You're really just looking for something to bitch about aren't you? The only time I've ever complained about your constant use of links is in ship fitting statistics for comparison purposes. I fly with links most days myself. You use links for all of your posted stats to try and make comparisons that don't exist. Fly with links whenever you want, similar to how I use RvB to learn how to fly a ship(class) that I have never flown seriously before.

Stay the fuck out of there and fight people who offer you a challenge (if your terrible at this game and just look for casual fun join, but if your any good at this game show some character!

I feel like Mangala might question your inferring that all RvB pilots are shit. Some of the best pilots I've ever encountered are flying RvB.

If one is in rvb and explains everything to the noobs, gives them pointers, fits and general advice then thats a good thing. If you use rvb to farm kills from noobs who think they are given a fair chance its pathetic.

So let's refresh this. You're saying that it's wrong to fly in RvB for the purposes of casual PvP? "Waaah, people aren't playing the game the way I want them to". Cry more faggot.

W0lf Crendraven
February 27 2013, 09:53:14 PM
You're really just looking for something to bitch about aren't you?

Yes.

Fist of, i never mentioned you specificly, that was a general answer, yet you obviously feel that this is relevent to you, so you might want to reconsider your course of action.

And no ive got nothing against casual pvp etcetera but i cant stand all those l33t true solo pvpers (which you are, not i get it, again general answer to the rvb dicussion), who complain about honour and stuff only to spend their days in rvb slaughtering noobs and counting themself as awesome.

Varcaus
February 27 2013, 09:54:10 PM

Yes.

Fist of, i never mentioned you specificly, that was a general answer, yet you obviously feel that this is relevent to you, so you might want to reconsider your course of action.

And no ive got nothing against casual pvp etcetera but i cant stand all those l33t true solo pvpers (which you are, not i get it, again general answer to the rvb dicussion), who complain about honour and stuff only to spend their days in rvb slaughtering noobs and counting themself as awesome.

Dumpstering randoms with full hg pirate implants and links is any diffrent?

W0lf Crendraven
February 27 2013, 09:57:13 PM

Yes.

Dumpstering randoms with full hg pirate implants and links is any diffrent?

Nope, i personally consider anything but a 3v1 (of good pilots) a gank if links/implants are used, im a pirate i gank now and then, but i mostly try to fight against the odds.

Same reason i never 1v1 i simply consider it unfair.

ry ry
February 27 2013, 10:32:34 PM
That is pretty honourable of you.

The vast majority of my eve income comes from flying around attacking anything that stays still long enough for me to shoot at it, though. Infact i consider pve in all its forms to be supremely dishonourable, and the domain of cowards and blobbers.

Davion Falcon
February 27 2013, 11:51:02 PM
You do understand that "against the odds" means you lose more than you win, right?

sharptoast
February 28 2013, 08:12:50 AM
Lot of mad in this here thread.

W0lf Crendraven
February 28 2013, 08:27:48 AM
You do understand that "against the odds" means you lose more than you win, right?

Nope against the odds means that if all pilots were equal the player fighting against the odds would lose, like if we were just to set perimeters before the fight start to then have a computer run a sim to see which one wins. So if the player who fights agianst the odds is vastly superior in skill/equipement/non player support he may still be victorious.

Also if you kite against the odds usually you can run away before you die, only if you fight in a brawling ship all the time you rely on luck.

Keckers
March 1 2013, 02:41:49 PM
[QUOTE=Davion Falcon;723748]
Also if you kite against the odds usually you can run away before you die, only if you fight in a brawling ship all the time you rely on luck.

Kiting against the odds is probably not against the odds if you 'usually' can get away.

If something happens against the odds then by definition it almost certainly has to rely on luck.

ry ry
March 1 2013, 03:52:07 PM
I have no idea if he's even any good at eve, but he has repeatedly stated that he is and that's enough for me.

Perhaps he does only take on fights he cannot possibly win and triumphs through vastly superior skill.

Mike deVoid
March 2 2013, 02:30:06 AM
It's like placing faith in his words is the most undermining tactic of all

inora aknaria
March 3 2013, 11:20:22 AM
Back to talking about destroyers I have significant experience in the algos coercer and thrasher. I flew mostly with loki links (plus shield resists or armour resists off type) and hg snakes and 5% implants. But I started slowly doing more and more without. All my fits were t1 / named only.

The thrasher is my favorite if only for dmg selection (which I might be over stating). I found there were lots of fun things to throw these into. With snakes and links almost nothing can kite you unless they have similar setup. It's speed was quite nice, but I also had lots of fun guessing fits choosing an ammo and trying to out gank people. I found it increasingly hard to find engagements with these. The nice thing is thrashers can often crush active tanks with dmg selection plus nuet. They can engage cruisers without nuets if u get a good approach. I've killed fail rapiers with them a couple times. Good speed, good dps, decent ehp, good dmg types

The coercer grew on me. I hated it to start before I learned to abuse the loki 15km scram. Even with t1 ammo and a shitty fit I was able to get a couple really fun (read close) fights in them if I set up the fights well. (ie instead of shooting for 0 shooting for 8ish km) I had an armour fit which sucks for roaming (now that amarr got stations backs it isn't that bad). I also felt like it was painfully slow an kept running into the limitation of a set dmg type. with that said it was a blast trying to get some fun fights in them. Sadly it is too fucking slow to get under cruiser guns most of the time and is in general slow.

Algos. I hated everything about this ship. (or my fit atleast I was shield gank fit with blasters) it isn't that fast, t1 drones suck. Hammers can't hit frigs without a web. It didn't have enough ehp or dps. I never really got any exciting fights with it. Blasters are quite hard to get and stay in optimal especially without range control at all. The thing was too much of a boat to kill cruisers. Not fast enough to catch rsb frigs. And I just didn't enjoy flying them.

Words
tapatalk

Shin_getter
March 8 2013, 04:53:42 AM
So there are 10mn AB arty thrasher/coercer being flown around but have no idea how they are suppose to work. Anyone here that flys one?

Does the guys that fly it all use links or something, because it turns....uh doesn't turn or accelerate

Badboy K
March 8 2013, 11:07:57 AM
So there are 10mn AB arty thrasher/coercer being flown around but have no idea how they are suppose to work. Anyone here that flys one?

Does the guys that fly it all use links or something, because it turns....uh doesn't turn or accelerate

i tried both, died in both also...to slow to burn back to gate, lost both to gate camps in low sec....its nice for fighting brawler frigs (if they wanna fight dessie) since they play on shutting down your mwd and get under your guns, but then they are up for a surprise ...

like coercer most since it has awesome tracking

ManuMilitari
March 20 2013, 05:43:54 PM

I fly the 10mn thrash with great success, no links. I feel comfortable taking on most frigs/dessies and outnumbered situations. The 10mn is a very effective ship but i can tell you it takes some practice to get the hang of. The Oversized ab turns it into a brick and it takes sometime to accel, always preOH. warping in at 0 in FW plexes is risky business but i love it. Manual piloting is basically a must, land on target have AB OH, keep at range and AB instantly to burn off in straight line while shooting (can get most kills with this simple move) and as you pull range start to manually pilot to create a slight orbit.. the key is clicking in space to make gradual changes in direction, one wrong click will leave your ship dead in the water as the brick comes to a halt.. Web is essential as frigs that try to get in under guns are still very hittable once they become webbed.

ps avoid drones at all costs (aglos) and for some reason i have a hella of hard time fighting coercers, prob most losses vs them..

Ideally i look to take on blaster frigs, or 2 on 1 kiter situations so they dont run with tracking bonused ammo (RF Dep Uran).. works best with a variety of ammo to suit your situation and boost dat alpha

Cheap ship (standard fit around 11-13 mil, meta everything except point) that is quite capable of killing a lot